Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Constellations
    • Mar 2011

Re: Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Originally posted by Trader Joe
    In theory, you should have been part of the huge generation and population Constellations claims Nirvana influenced.
    Alot of today's rock bands influences are from Nirvana. But you claim anything you want, because clearly, you don't know much about today's music. JOE!
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
      • Mar 2011

I just disagree with this...no they didn't IMO. Cobain was here and gone. An entire era? Really? How many bands did Nirvana inspire? Pearl Jam was already there, the movement was already happening...
      Pearl Jam didn't make the grunge movement happen. Nirvana did. End of story.
      Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Peck
        Yea actually that is what got this entire thread started, well that and my desire to get this away from the Amy Winehouse thread. Constellations made the statement that he felt that Nirvana saved Rock & Roll. I replied that I had a differing opinion but didn't want to have that conversation in the Winehouse thread. Earlier in this thread I laid out my reasoning as to why I said what I said.
        Everybody is making me out to the ******* in the music topic.. I stated that saved the movement, when it was dying out. That was all I said.
        Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Since86
          Grunge is only a portion of the 90s rock scene. There are many different sub-genres, other than grunge, that took hold. Heavy metal was still around, like Metallica, punk rock took off, like Blink 182, and even rap metal, like Cyprus Hill/Limp Bizkit.

Grunge wasn't around very long. You can argue that it transitioned into other areas, and influenced later artists, but grunge doesn't represent the entire 90s rock movement. Where 90s rock started isn't where it ended.
          The 90's is considered the most dead decade for metal, period. It was by far the most un-listened genre in the 90'. Metallica kept the heart beating for metal for sure though.
          Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Since86
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Constellations
            Saying it was lost is your excuse for it not existing. I never stated that.
            This is the third time I've asked. Then what did you say?

Put it on record. Right now it just looks like you're skirting the question.
            Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

• Constellations
              • Mar 2011

Well if you read my reply earlier when you stated it the 1st time, this would be your 3rd time asking
              Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
                • Mar 2011

I said from the beginning that they are comparable.(MUSICALLY).
                ^
                Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Since86
                  • Dec 2004

The 90's is considered the most dead decade for metal, period. It was by far the most un-listened genre in the 90'. Metallica kept the heart beating for metal for sure though.
                  Okay? What does that prove?

I didn't say metal was bigger than grunge. I said grunge was a sub-genre of rock n roll, just like metal.

Anyways, none of this really even matters. The Beatles, and Lennon, were THE band during their prime.

Rock wasn't even the major music genre of the 90s. Hell, it's not even the second genre. Rap and Pop destroy rock, during the 90s. It's not even close.

So here we are debating their place in the 90s within rock, when rock isn't even at the top of the music scene.

If we were to talk about music of the 90s, rock takes a back seat to those two, and probably even country music which really exploded and hasn't looked back.

Grunge was a flash in the pan. Did Nirvana represent grunge? Yes. Was Kurt a damn good artist? Most certainly.

But he's still no where near Lennon, and Nirvana can't touch the Beatles with a 10ft pole.

Comment

• Since86
                    • Dec 2004

^
                    That's an awful broad stroke, and you were much more narrow at the beginning.

Like I said, you can compare them just because they both are musical artists.

You tried to compare Cobain and Lennon's legacy/musical impact, which is a much narrower scope.

Comment

• Constellations
                      • Mar 2011

Okay? What does that prove?

I didn't say metal was bigger than grunge. I said grunge was a sub-genre of rock n roll, just like metal.

Anyways, none of this really even matters. The Beatles, and Lennon, were THE band during their prime.

Rock wasn't even the major music genre of the 90s. Hell, it's not even the second genre. Rap and Pop destroy rock, during the 90s. It's not even close.

So here we are debating their place in the 90s within rock, when rock isn't even at the top of the music scene.

If we were to talk about music of the 90s, rock takes a back seat to those two, and probably even country music which really exploded and hasn't looked back.

Grunge was a flash in the pan. Did Nirvana represent grunge? Yes. Was Kurt a damn good artist? Most certainly.

But he's still no where near Lennon, and Nirvana can't touch the Beatles with a 10ft pole.
                      I'm gonna use the good ol' IMO. IMO, I don't believe rap was the music of the 90's. IMO.
                      Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• RWB
                        • May 2004

Another good point 86..... yeah you could say the 90s was Garth Brooks.
                        You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

• Constellations
                          • Mar 2011

Originally Posted by Stryder View Post:
                          There's a theme to the lives those people lead... (This message was deleted I believe (Sorry Hicks)

Don't even disrespect a single one of those names.
                          LOL

Yeah they're great role models.
                          Originally posted by Shade
                          Truth is truth.

Yes, they were great musicians. That doesn't make the other stuff go away, though.
                          I never said it did. They shouldn't be disrespected for how each and everyone of them contributed to saving their genres.
                          Originally posted by presto123
                          Kurt Cobain was way over-rated but he did revive rock when it was dying.
                          Originally posted by Peck
                          This is not the thread for this discussion but I have a differing opinion about this.
                          You not enjoying his music is fine. But that's not an excuse to say that he didn't because he did indeed do so and it's been discussed that he did so since 1994.

Kurt was a the "John Lennon" of the early 90's. He reached out to the the troubled youth in that era.

Ps. I also agree this is not the thread to discuss this.
                          And my last statement is the quote, that started all of this. But that's the quote you're looking for.
                          Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Since86
                            • Dec 2004

Posts got lost when Peck moved them over. I know they did, because some of my posts are gone.

I already said that I went through to read them to see.

Comment

• Constellations
                              • Mar 2011

Posts got lost when Peck moved them over. I know they did, because some of my posts are gone.

I already said that I went through to read them to see.
                              I promise you Since86, I never stated that. Really, I love debating these topics with people I can respect. I wouldn't cover myself in a blanket to keep everybody and myself from quotes I would know I made.
                              Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
                                • Mar 2011

The beginning topic of this thread started between you, TJ, and myself. That whole conversation is pretty much gone.
                                Not so much. But you can keep telling yourself that I stated things I didn't.
                                Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

Working...