Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdash
    Whale Shepherd
    • Jun 2009

Re: Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Music/artist. It's pretty apparent that a lot of us feel pretty strongly about music. This topic had good discussion for the most part.

Comment

• Constellations
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cdash
      Music/artist. It's pretty apparent that a lot of us feel pretty strongly about music. This topic had good discussion for the most part.
      "Would the Beatles be as big as they are, had they been first introduced in the 80's"

Yes or No?
      Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• cdash
        Whale Shepherd
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Constellations
        "Would the Beatles be as big as they are, had they been first introduced in the 80's"

Yes or No?
        No. Absolutely not.

Comment

• Constellations
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cdash
          No. Absolutely not.
          Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• cdash
            Whale Shepherd
            • Jun 2009

I take it you disagree?

Comment

• Trader Joe
              DIET COKE!
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by billbradley
              Okay, so out of those bands Nirvana was the most popular (not saying I don't love SY and Pearl Jam more) recognizable, and critically acclaimed and as such why would they not represent that era of music?

I ask the same to you Trader Joe.
              I think you're kidding yourself if you think Nirvana is more popular or more recognizable than Green Day to the average schmo. Just my opinion though.

Comment

• Trader Joe
                DIET COKE!
                • Jan 2006

It's not that specific, it is simply 90s rock. Nirvana represents the 90s era of rock and roll. It is what it is, it happened.
                They were the most cultutrally relevant rock band of a decade they were only around in for 3 years? BS. Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Comment

• Trader Joe
                  DIET COKE!
                  • Jan 2006

Pearl Jam didn't make the grunge movement happen. Nirvana did. End of story.
                  Relaly? They both came on the mainstream scene at the same year 1990.

Comment

• Trader Joe
                    DIET COKE!
                    • Jan 2006

Everybody is making me out to the ******* in the music topic.. I stated that saved the movement, when it was dying out. That was all I said.
                    You said they saved rock n roll, not just grunge. That's a pretty lofty claim. So without Nirvana we don't have Pearl Jam, Green Day, Blink 182, etc.? I can't buy that.

Comment

• Trader Joe
                      DIET COKE!
                      • Jan 2006

I'm gonna use the good ol' IMO. IMO, I don't believe rap was the music of the 90's. IMO.
                      Wow, I think you'd have a tough time proving this. For good or bad, rap ruled the 90s. Some rap I like, some I hate, but it was THE music commercially.

Comment

• Trader Joe
                        DIET COKE!
                        • Jan 2006

Honestly Hicks I'd love too, but when I'm the guy being made out to be the heel, I'm not going not defend myself.
                        You're taking this way too personally.

Comment

• Trader Joe
                          DIET COKE!
                          • Jan 2006

Again, and I'll say this is a KEY, CRUCIAL point, Nirvana was only around for 30% of a decade. To be the most influential band of that decade and only have one true hit album and only one true hit song? (Top 20 ranking) Man, I just cannot buy into that at all from a commercial or cultural perspective. That one album and song would literally have to be the greatest album and greatest song of all time.

Comment

• Trader Joe
                            DIET COKE!
                            • Jan 2006

What more was Cobain supposed to do? He was a living legend before he died. I just don't think you guys have a grasp on how big Cobain was before he died and how big Nevermind was commercially and critically.
                            They've sold 50 million albums TOTAL. Where are all these people who were just gobbling it up for years and years?

Comment

• Trader Joe
                              DIET COKE!
                              • Jan 2006

And I said probably 8 pages ago, that I like Nirvana more than the Beatles. So the next person that infers I'm some sort of Beatles crusader is getting a kidney punch.

Comment

• billbradley

Originally posted by Trader Joe
                                I think you're kidding yourself if you think Nirvana is more popular or more recognizable than Green Day to the average schmo. Just my opinion though.
                                You think more people know who Billy Joe Armstrong is than Kurt Cobain? No way.

They were the most cultutrally relevant rock band of a decade they were only around in for 3 years? BS. Red Hot Chili Peppers.
                                Albums were being released into 1996, number one albums. Show me where Anthony Kiedis was coined the voice of a generation. How many musicians are given that title? I don't understand how you are just deciding that RHCP are more relevant. I don't include Californacation (which I love, but 1999) as 90s and that one in the middle was awful, so all you have is the Blood Sugar one which was great. But even if you include Californication (RHCP best album) none of their albums were even close to the critical acclaim or commercial success of Nevermind, or debuted higher than any of Nirvana's 4 number one albums of the 90s.

Again, and I'll say this is a KEY, CRUCIAL point, Nirvana was only around for 30% of a decade. To be the most influential band of that decade and only have one true hit album and only one true hit song? (Top 20 ranking) Man, I just cannot buy into that at all from a commercial or cultural perspective. That one album and song would literally have to be the greatest album and greatest song of all time.
                                Again, released albums into 1996, even new material. Check out Nirvana MTV Unplugged New York and how big that was, just a quick wiki, Christgau compared the performance to Lennon.

They've sold 50 million albums TOTAL. Where are all these people who were just gobbling it up for years and years?
                                Like I said the media reports on the social climate, this is no different for music history. If Cobain was being hailed by the most respected media outlets as the voice of a generation and Nirvana as one of the greatest bands of all time, than thats what they are considered. I can disagree, but it doesn't change what they are.

Comment

Working...