IU Basketball 2023

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clownskull
    • May 2004

The team is trash. So glad I decided to drink a bunch the night before and used the afternoon to sleep it off and recover instead of watching the turd-storm that is iu basketball! (Insert puke emoji)

Comment

• Bball
      Jimmy did what Jimmy did
      • Jan 2004

As IU prepares to play another game, one that many fans believe is IU's chance to get a win, never forget that the other team and their fans sees this game (and IU) exactly the same way: Their chance to get a win.
      Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Trader Joe
        DIET COKE!
        • Jan 2006

this is just an extremely bizarre iu team.

blow a double digit lead at assembly hall, recover from a double digit deficit on the road.

Comment

• Bball
          Jimmy did what Jimmy did
          • Jan 2004

It took 3 years to find some minutes for Leal?

Definitely had a huge role in winning this one.

I had them counted out at the half. I was wr wr wr wr wro... wro...wr... wr... wrong.

Had to happen sometime...
          Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Bball
            Jimmy did what Jimmy did
            • Jan 2004

BTW... College basketball needs to change the review process. Calling things just so they can review it is one thing, but the amount of time spent on the reviews is simply ridiculous. There should be a timer or something.
            You knew the Ware block/GT was going to take a while (although there needs to be some kind of limit here)... But that out of bounds call??? It was obviously off Ware's leg. And that was the call. What were they looking at in replay??? What took so long?

------

-John Wooden

Comment

• Trader Joe
              DIET COKE!
              • Jan 2006

Does anyone think Woody might step down this summer and they bring in Dusty?

Just feels like it could be the win win for everyone. Woody has stabilized the program at least in terms of recruiting and that sort of thing, Dusty's big name guys are going to be leaving FAU and Woody can be that guy that bridged the program successfully.

Maybe Woody steps into that basketball advisory role that Matta occupied.

Comment

• Bball
                Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Trader Joe
                Does anyone think Woody might step down this summer and they bring in Dusty?

Just feels like it could be the win win for everyone. Woody has stabilized the program at least in terms of recruiting and that sort of thing, Dusty's big name guys are going to be leaving FAU and Woody can be that guy that bridged the program successfully.

Maybe Woody steps into that basketball advisory role that Matta occupied.
                That would be for the best but I only see it happening if Woodson is given that 'option' versus a firing. This is really the only year a big "Mission Accomplished" PR flag could be flown from both sides while also explaining away the problems of this season on 'health' and 'age' and just "not having the energy the program needs going forward". So, take some bows for reconnecting the program with Knight before he died and making the NCAAT and winning a game last year (ignoring the blowout loss). Unless anyone besides Woodson himself thinks next year and following seasons will be anything but a repeat of this year and there will be a better opportunity to go out on top in the future.

As for the advisory role... It better be extremely ceremonial. Or just for the NBA tentacles.

Externally they can all pretend this was a great hire and bridge to the future, but internally they need to admit Woodson was a mistake on the actual coaching level. Knight, given his health issues and return to Bloomington was likely to reconnect with the program anyway. Heck, he already did during Archie's regime (though Archie himself bungled that by not having the team out there to see it some of that halftime IMO).

As for who replaces Woodson, obviously Dusty May is the name getting mentioned. Whether that is really where the focus should be, I have no idea. Is there anyone with a pedigree in the current system that would be available and a home run? If it's going to be an older coach, they need experience and a proven track record.

The NIL era puts not only an emphasis on understanding that system and the portal, but also coaching itself. You have to be multi-faceted and talented. Your system might have to morph to match the players and put them into the best positions to succeed. You might not have 2 years to mold a player into the system. So a younger coach that has had some success in the modern system would certainly be a gamble to consider.

Now you've gotten me all excited about the chance that Woodson will not be back next season. As much as I'd like that to be the case, I think the odds are still with Buckner seeing that Woodson gets another year. The only reason I think at this moment there's a CHANCE he's gone is because of how poorly team play has been and the potential that fans will be turning so quickly at Assembly Hall (or not showing up to Assembly Hall) that TPTB will have no choice but to seriously consider moving on.

But Woodson retiring on his own accord? I seriously doubt it.

------

-John Wooden

Comment

• Bball
                  Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                  • Jan 2004

With Holtmann fired at OSU, that seat is obviously going to someone, and I assume not an assistant. Did they fire Holtmann to get a jumpstart on working on someone? What level of feelers can a university put out during the season?
                  But more importantly, with Woodson being an inevitable candidate for firing sooner rather than later (IMO), is OSU going to be going after a candidate that IU might be thinking THEY want as the successor to Woodson?
                  IOW, does this situation in any way add more fuel to the fire to fire Woodson immediately following THIS season in order not to have someone's name not taken off the board before the end of next season (which IMO is absolutely Woodson's last season because his baseline is already established and it's not changing). IU, whether they admit it or not, has to be thinking Woodson is not a long-term answer and know he's likely going to be gone sooner rather than later. Age and ability are not on his side. And neither are results.

------

-John Wooden

Comment

• Dab
                    ** 20 yrs on PD **
                    • Feb 2004

Whether it's Ohio State, Indiana, or some other school that comes calling, I seriously doubt Dusty May will be at FAU next year. I'm not totally sold he's the guy but he does seem to check all the boxes for IU

Comment

• Dab
                      ** 20 yrs on PD **
                      • Feb 2004

Indiana basketball to wear ‘Fear of God’ alternate uniforms on Sunday

Published February 16, 2024
                      By Alec Lasley

The Indiana basketball program is set to unveil new alternate jerseys on Sunday against Northwestern as part of a collaboration with Adidas and Fear of God clothing brand.

Indiana’s jersey’s will be black with red lettering.

The official Indiana basketball account confirmed the jerseys on Friday afternoon

The first 100 students at the game will receive an exclusive Fear of God Athletics t-shirt . . .

Comment

• Sollozzo
                        • Jan 2004

It’s just a jersey and doesn’t really matter, but it’s astounding that someone actually gets paid to design something like that. Looks like some crappy proposed alternate for the Miami Heat that was rejected.

Comment

• clownskull
                          • May 2004

Well, at least it's over.

Comment

• Bball
                            Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by clownskull
                            Well, at least it's over.
                            It's not over until the Woodson era is over.

And unfortunately, there's no guarantee a new beginning won't just be the next mistake. But you can't fix the last mistake without moving on in the first place.

In other news... I don't really care about the alternate uniforms. I would've requested a little more red trim, and maybe a bit of white somewhere but not a hill I'd die on.
                            Heck, I don't care if they add names to the uniforms. In fact, if it helps with recruiting, I'm all for it. The nuttiness of "they're playing for the name on the front of the uniform, not the name on the back!" is still true whether there's a name on the back or not. And plenty other teams seem able to win with the player names on the back. But I digress...

Fire Mike Woodson. ASAP. Then finally get the hire right.

------

-John Wooden

Comment

• clownskull
                              • May 2004

With time to think about things, I've concluded I'm not interested in getting guys like Jalen hood-schifino. One year rentals don't build programs.

Comment

• Sollozzo
                                • Jan 2004

I’m generally about as pessimistic of an IU fan as one can possibly be, but even I’ve been surprised at just how awful this season has been. Just a nightmare.

Comment

Working...