Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleazar
    replied
    Originally posted by PacerDude
    I think Woodson brings the 'I can get you to the NBA' to the program. I read somewhere that he's already talked to Davis about what he could do for him with another year. If he can get some NBA potential players recruited - things will be looking up.
    Without Matta, in terms of recruiting that is about the only thing Woodson has going for him. Which may be more than enough, but not enough to give me confidence in him alone. With the inclusion of Matta, that gives me much more confidence that this could work as he definitely brings a lot of valuable recruiting experience for Woodson to leverage.

Leave a comment:

• Trader Joe
    replied
    I think Woodson brings the 'I can get you to the NBA' to the program. I read somewhere that he's already talked to Davis about what he could do for him with another year. If he can get some NBA potential players recruited - things will be looking up.
    A great chance for Woodson to immediately show what he can do if he gets TJD to stay for one more year and gets Lander to stay as well.

Leave a comment:

• Trader Joe
    replied
    Those contract numbers are really interesting...Woodson $3 million per, Matta $400,000 per. Would have expected both to be higher than that.

Leave a comment:

• Sollozzo
    replied
    Yeah. And then you look at how Matta also got Oden/Conley/Turner drafted high....

I’m feeling good about how these two can relate to players who want to be in the NBA.

Leave a comment:

• PacerDude
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sollozzo
    replied
    This makes me wonder about the Matta HC rumor that was posted. Seems like there is probably some legs to it. I seriously doubt the first discussion with Matta was about this current position. It’s far more likely that the first discussion was about trying to make him HC, IMHO.

I really like this Woodson/Matta duo. I think it can play very well with recruits. Like I’ve said, I think Stevens was the only possible guy who would have been a “sure thing”. Outside of him, it was either going to be a “B-list” type of older Coach with experience or a younger coach at a smaller school. Well we just tried the younger coach from a smaller school and it didn’t really work out, so I get why we went this route.

Im not going to get overly excited because it’s IU and we’ve simply been burned too many times over the years. I was going to be in “I’ll believe they’ll succeed when I see it” mode for virtually anyone but Stevens. But I like these hires and have a very open mind. I think it could work out nicely. I really do think all fans expect at this point is to just have a reasonably competitive team. I think these guys can do that.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-29-2021, 02:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Trader Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by Bball
    I'm going to tell myself that Matta wanted the job but feared his health complications would not allow him to dedicate to it physically... and IU wanted Matta... Meanwhile, Woodson wanted the job and was pushing for it.
    So, this is the compromise we get- Matta as the mentor to Woodson. Woodson brings the IU connection and the Knight connection... and NBA knowledge. Matta brings college basketball recruiting and coaching knowledge, and B10 experience from this generation to the table.

So, whether IU has built a horse or donkey is the question yet to be answered.

Like I said, I wasn't wanting to be wondering about what the new coach would and could bring to IU next season and into the future. But here we are...
    Wouldn't you have been here pretty much regardless of who we hired outside of Brad? I never really saw you throw support behind anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Trader Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by Eleazar
    Matta is no spring chicken himself and has had health issues that forced him to step down from Ohio St. I doubt he'll be wanting to take over coaching duties when he is 60+ years old.
    It's kinda crazy that Thad is still only 53 though tbh. He'd actually be 59 at the end of Woodson's deal

Leave a comment:

• Bball
    replied
    Originally posted by Trader Joe
    Matta has a dream job. A giant bag of cash to go get recruits and very little pressure. What a huge win, win for him. He can just chill. If Woodson succeeds, he hangs out for 6 years and then probably takes over a program made ready to win, or he can go out and be part of the group that hires a big time successor and continues to do what he's doing.
    "Hey Brad, it's Thad... "

Leave a comment:

• Bball
    replied
    I'm going to tell myself that Matta wanted the job but feared his health complications would not allow him to dedicate to it physically... and IU wanted Matta... Meanwhile, Woodson wanted the job and was pushing for it.
    So, this is the compromise we get- Matta as the mentor to Woodson. Woodson brings the IU connection and the Knight connection... and NBA knowledge. Matta brings college basketball recruiting and coaching knowledge, and B10 experience from this generation to the table.

So, whether IU has built a horse or donkey is the question yet to be answered.

Like I said, I wasn't wanting to be wondering about what the new coach would and could bring to IU next season and into the future. But here we are...

Leave a comment:

• Sollozzo
    replied
    Yeah I think if Matta was ever going to be the IU coach, it would be right now.

Leave a comment:

• Eleazar
    replied
    Matta is no spring chicken himself and has had health issues that forced him to step down from Ohio St. I doubt he'll be wanting to take over coaching duties when he is 60+ years old.

Leave a comment:

• Trader Joe
    replied
    Matta has a dream job. A giant bag of cash to go get recruits and very little pressure. What a huge win, win for him. He can just chill. If Woodson succeeds, he hangs out for 6 years and then probably takes over a program made ready to win, or he can go out and be part of the group that hires a big time successor and continues to do what he's doing.

Leave a comment:

• Bball
    replied
    Meh...
    I didn't want to wonder if the next coach could coach modern college basketball at the major conference level.
    But now I get to wonder if he can coach/recruit at the college level at all.

I can definitely see the potential... sorta... NBA experience and former Hoosier himself.
    But... 63 years old and "Welcome to Indiana Basketball".

Anxious to see how it works out and see the season start.

Not going to be surprised if this doesn't work. I wish they would've given him this job following Davis... or Sampson... When the margin for error was in better shape.

Having Matta somehow tied to the hire does give me a little hope that maybe there is a master plan and Woodson has someone to lean on and knows this is a big bite he's taking.

Mix that with Woodson likely being someone who wants to see IU being IU again, and that gives me a little more hope about this.

Leave a comment:

• PacerDude
    replied
    And Matta took a position @ IU too. Associate AD for men's basketball administration.

Leave a comment:

Working...