Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trader Joe
    DIET COKE!
    • Jan 2006

Re: Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Originally posted by cdash
    Yet sadly, I bet more people are familiar with the name "Ringo Starr" than they are "Dave Grohl."
    This.

Comment

• RWB
      • May 2004

Originally posted by billbradley
      Do you know who Chuck Berry is?
      This jogged my memory for my ALL TIME favorite guitarist Frank Marino and what I consider the best version of Johnny B. Goode.

You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

• billbradley

Thanks for the Soundscan info LA! I need to find some more stuff about that.

I thought this was good. The new VMA Awards promo is mostly Tupac and Nirvana refrences. I wonder if there will be some sort of Nirvana tribute? Depending on what and who is involved, that could show their lasting impact on music. Hopefully Lil Wayne won't be playing guitar.

Peck, what do you think of Cars new album? I haven't listened yet. My friend is going to review it this week on his music blog. He's a pretty good writer and is usually positive if you want to check it out. Here is is a bit from his write up on Bob Dylan and website.

The ‘Conscience of a Generation’ was a title that Dylan himself could never saddle. Choosing instead to recede into the background of various solo and full-band projects. Regardless which side of Bob we saw, he always had delicious material:

Sentimental Bob offered some of the greatest love songs all time—see “Boots of Spanish Leather” or “Corinna, Corinna.” Poetic Bob was as subversive as any Nobel laureate on “Desolation Row” or “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall.” Bob and The Band proved with The Basement Tapes that they could hang with some the best bluesy bar bands in rock & roll history. It all worked because behind all of the various facades lay the same perspective. The same brilliant mind. The same observant, relevant voice.

Brought together, his collection of work is staggering, intimidating. It’s enough to make any aspiring writer’s knees buckle. How does one explain it? If nothing else is certain, there is this: Dylan was able, at various points in his life, to express the intent of his voice and beliefs in a way that is as relatable and coherent as any speaker of the modern English language.

Sorry, I’m not sorry. I don’t think one can exaggerate Dylan’s contribution to the American landscape of thought and social perspective. Call it a muse. Call it divine inspiration. Call it what you like, but the man’s discography is as significant as de Tocqueville’s Democracy in America or any other modern philosophical work.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Slick Pinkham
          • Jan 2004

some comic relief from these discussions.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).

Comment

• Since86
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Peck

Obviously Nirvana's stuff is still getting played.

BTW, take the time to listen/watch this. These guys kick @ss!!!!
            Reminds me a lot of the Metallica S&M album. Good stuff.
            Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

• Peck
              Administrator
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by billbradley
              Thanks for the Soundscan info LA! I need to find some more stuff about that.

I thought this was good. The new VMA Awards promo is mostly Tupac and Nirvana refrences. I wonder if there will be some sort of Nirvana tribute? Depending on what and who is involved, that could show their lasting impact on music. Hopefully Lil Wayne won't be playing guitar.

Peck, what do you think of Cars new album? I haven't listened yet. My friend is going to review it this week on his music blog. He's a pretty good writer and is usually positive if you want to check it out. Here is is a bit from his write up on Bob Dylan and website.

http://thoughtontracks.com/2011/06/0...s-of-all-time/
              Actually I just found out they had a new cd. I haven't heard it but would probably give it a listen just to see.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

• Since86
                • Dec 2004

I thought I'd share this. Take it how you will, just thought it was weird to see the topic being brought up in other places.

This fall marks the 20th anniversary of Nirvana’s Nevermind, so lots of folks are talking and writing about how life-changing the release of that record was. But in 1991, Nevermind was not unilaterally appreciated — people argued about its merits constantly, and a lot of people hated it. We generally agree it’s awesome now, but that agreement is retrospective. Louie is not like that. Right now, Louie is like the Beatles in ’66, or maybe Joe DiMaggio in ’41.

The writer is Chuck Klosterman, btw.
                Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

• billbradley

Originally posted by Since86
                  I thought I'd share this. Take it how you will, just thought it was weird to see the topic being brought up in other places.

The writer is Chuck Klosterman, btw.
                  I agree with this. I don't think everyone loved Nevermind, but everyone generally agrees its great now. Some people thought Sgt. Peppers was over the top and fake upon release.

Comment

• Peck
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by RWB
                    This jogged my memory for my ALL TIME favorite guitarist Frank Marino and what I consider the best version of Johnny B. Goode.

http://youtu.be/kZzhQXG7OfY
                    By any chance is this Mahongany Rush?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

• RWB
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Peck
                      By any chance is this Mahongany Rush?
                      Oh yeah!!!!!! 70's had some crappy music out there but I just loved the supposed battle between the heavy hitters. You had Circus and Cream magazines having KISS and Aerosmith duke it out and for guitar nuts they always pushed Canada's Mahogany Rush (Marino) vs American bred Ted Nugent.

Glad someone else is old enough to remember the other Canadian RUSH band.
                      You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

• Bball
                        Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                        • Jan 2004

"for those that have done it before and those that want to do it again"...

Have I got that line from memory close?
                        Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• RWB
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by Bball
                          "for those that have done it before and those that want to do it again"...

Have I got that line from memory close?
                          Can't place it, song or band intro?

On your feet or on your knees. Just got tickets to see this 'old dinosaur' band in the 1,500 seat theater in Effingham Illinois.

Comment

• Bball
                            Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by RWB
                            Can't place it, song or band intro?

On your feet or on your knees. Just got tickets to see this 'old dinosaur' band in the 1,500 seat theater in Effingham Illinois.
                            I believe my line is Frank Marino's intro to Purple Haze on the live Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush album.

I'm not sure I've heard that album in more years than I care to admit even having birthdays...
                            Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Bball
                              Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                              • Jan 2004

BTW... Don't mind our guitar player talk on here... You guys can keep on arguing about Nirvana, Cobain, Lennon, and Lady GaGa too!

------

-John Wooden

Comment

• RWB
                                • May 2004

Yes, the live album in 78. Replace the 'done with dug and the do with dig' Jimi Hendrix. Damn good memory you got going there.

For those a little younger (on your feet on your knees)is an introduction of the band Blue Oyster Cult.

Comment

Working...