Re: The Official Summer League game thread

Williams made a shot!
    Bird's draft pick vindicated!
    I demand we bring him back immediately!

Comment

• purdue101
      • May 2004

Gerald Henderson looks very comfortable out there - he's in complete control of the game with his scoring and passing. Ajinca is enourmous - I never realized how large he was. He's still very raw though. Hayward looks completely lost out there - touched the ball maybe twice. Shawne Williams looks slightly out of shape, but is actually playing well. No doubt he has talent.

Comment

• Coop
        • Jul 2006

I caved and paid for the broadband. So far, it seems like Ajinca has really improved. Gerald Henderson has been solid and Shawne hit a step back 20 footer with a hand in his face off the bench.

Comment

• pacers74
          • Aug 2006

I would rather not have McRoberts shoot the three very much. If he has it in his arsinal and can be a tghreat to shoot three's thans that is not a bad thing. If he turns into Murphy 2.0 I will be upset. I love the high energy, dive on the floor, do anything for the team McBob.

Comment

• DrFife
            • May 2008

Keep the comments rollin', fellas (& gals). Greatly appreciated!

"He’s no shrinking violet when it comes to that kind of stuff."

- Rick Carlisle on how Kevin Pritchard responds to needed roster changes.

Comment

• pacers74
              • Aug 2006

I just turned on the game. Pargo looks good. Shawne Williams????

Comment

• pacers74
                • Aug 2006

I wish they would wear better jerseys. I was having trouble which team was which.

Comment

• xBulletproof
                  I have a Member
                  • Jun 2010

Shawne blocked that shot like a guy in his back yard with his son.

lol

Comment

• imawhat
                    Bring Back David West
                    • Aug 2006

Shawne looks better here than he did in the '08 summer league. There's no doubt he has the talent. He is purely an instinctive basketball player. It drives me insane, how much talent he's throwing away.

Comment

• graphic-er
                      I'm on a MAC!
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by purdue101
                      Gerald Henderson looks very comfortable out there - he's in complete control of the game with his scoring and passing. Ajinca is enourmous - I never realized how large he was. He's still very raw though. Hayward looks completely lost out there - touched the ball maybe twice. Shawne Williams looks slightly out of shape, but is actually playing well. No doubt he has talent.
                      Well in defense of Hayward, the entire team seems to be playing away from him at the moment. They are trying to make the team and impress the coaches this first game for sure, they really dont' have any motivation to pass it to Hayward. It will be interesting to see when Sloan brings him back in the 2nd qtr.
                      He did get beat terribly on that back door cut. That is normally a pass he steals.
                      You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

• Chuck Chillout
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by pacers74
                        I would rather not have McRoberts shoot the three very much. If he has it in his arsinal and can be a tghreat to shoot three's thans that is not a bad thing. If he turns into Murphy 2.0 I will be upset. I love the high energy, dive on the floor, do anything for the team McBob.
                        We've seen enough of Josh to hope he can be so much more than that.

His dunks weren't the only highlight reel material that stood out to me last season- he made some really crafty passes as well. And one of his strengths has always been his ability to handle the ball for his size.

He's not a poor shooter now, and he's only 23 with a very strong desire to get better, by all accounts. No reason to try to pin him down to being like Varajao or Admundson (both solid players, I know) if he has more skill to his game.

Comment

• Anthem
                          White and Nerdy
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by count55
                          Let me ask you these questions:

If Troy Murphy - the offensive player - was more athletic and could play defense, would you still hate him?

If Jim O'Brien trains McBob to be a proficient 3-point shooter, then gives him the playing time that allows him to utilize both the athleticism and defensive ability that so many believe he has, then should we hate McBob? Has O'Brien "ruined" him?
                          Obie is training an athletic hustle player to stand flat-footed at the top of the key waiting for somebody to pass him the ball. He's already turned Troy Murphy into Steve Kerr, and now he's trying to do the same to McBob.

Troy actually has the ability to put the ball on the floor very well. We've seen him very effective at this... staying near the free throw line, faking a shot, then driving for the hoop. I still had issues with his defense, but I loved that Troy Murphy on offense. The three was an occasional weapon, not his only move. But that guy is long gone.

Should we retroactively hold Sam Perkins in contempt, because he took a higher percentage of his shots from beyond the arc - both as a Pacer (48%) and as a Sonic (42%) - than Troy has under O'Brien (41%)?
                          Our coach and GM never claimed that Sam was the best or most effective player on the team. Sam used the 3 as an occasional weapon... that's fine for the big guy who's the team's fifth option. Less so when he's the second option.

If McRoberts is the player you believe he is, athletically and defensively, then how does adding a 3 point shot hurt him?
                          Opportunity cost, dude. It's not going to hurt him to be a better shooter. Every player in the NBA could stand to be a better shooter. But that's not the best thing for Josh to be working on, and it's certainly not the thing most people would say is the thing he needs to get more PT. I mean, Roy could spend the summer working on his dribbling... would that make him a less effective player? Of course not. But that doesn't mean it's a good use of his time, since in any rational coach's system that's not going to be the thing holding him back.
                          This space for rent.

Comment

• xBulletproof
                            I have a Member
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by graphic-er
                            Well in defense of Hayward, the entire team seems to be playing away from him at the moment. They are trying to make the team and impress the coaches this first game for sure, they really dont' have any motivation to pass it to Hayward. It will be interesting to see when Sloan brings him back in the 2nd qtr.
                            He did get beat terribly on that back door cut. That is normally a pass he steals.
                            I see you're getting used to making excuses for him, I believe it's a trend that will continue for a long while. No idea why people believe this guy will be a successful NBA player. Best case scenario for him from me, is as a fringe rotation player. Maybe 10-15 minutes a game at his peak. I just don't see it. At all.

Comment

• graphic-er
                              I'm on a MAC!
                              • Jan 2010

hayward back in
                              You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

• Gamble1
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by imawhat
                                The same way adding a post game to Steve Nash hurts him. It takes him away from the things he does well, and it sends the wrong message about his game.

For ****s sake, Josh will never be a good three point shooter.
                                IMO adding anything to Josh's offensive game would be a great benefit to the team.

Plan and simple. Josh will not be "the go to" inside presence when Hibbert is on the court. He needs to space the court for Hibbert if he wants to be the starting pf on this team. Same goes for Hans.

Comment

Working...