Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdash
    Whale Shepherd
    • Jun 2009

Re: Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Originally posted by Constellations
    Nickelback is a superstar band. Staind is a great band. Breaking Benjamin is a superstar band. Seether is a great band.
    Oh wow. Okay, we need to agree to disagree. In 40 years if people are still talking about Nickelback then I denounce my generation. I think if anything, you just proved my point.

Comment

• billbradley

Originally posted by cdash
      If you die at the height of your apex and popularity, people will always ask, "What if?" You are remembered forever as you were at the pinnacle of your career, not the stuff afterward that maybe didn't live up to your earlier work. That is especially true with musicians.
      Cobain died three years after his pinnacle, his followup to Nevermind sold 25 million less units.

Music is more accessible to people now than it was then. There are tons of ways to hear music now thanks to the internet, and you can do it for free, even if you don't download them illegally. You can listen to internet radio, download free songs, listen to album streams on any number of sites, and so on. The radio and music charts don't dictate what people listen to. If I don't to listen to Lady GaGa, I know there are plenty of ways for me to avoid her and other stuff on the radio. To an extent you have always been able to do that, but not as effectively. In Nirvana's day, people had access to less music, and the bands that made it on the popular radio stations had a bigger impact than they do know. The exposure was just so much greater for them. I don't think you will ever see a star in the internet age as big as someone like Michael Jackson was in the 80s.
      The radio still dictates what the majority of people listen to. But are you saying, "because we have more choices for music, we are not forced to create a super star?" That doesn't make sense. By strengthening the pool of musicians and talent, by your argument there would be more superstars.

Example, there is more media for video and television. Are we over saturated and now have no superstar actors, actresses and celebrities? No, If anything we have more.

Yet, none of the points you have made have effectively negated Cobain's influence culturally.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• cdash
        Whale Shepherd
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by billbradley
        Cobain died three years after his pinnacle, his followup to Nevermind sold 25 million less units.

The radio still dictates what the majority of people listen to. But are you saying, "because we have more choices for music, we are not forced to create a super star?" That doesn't make sense. By strengthening the pool of musicians and talent, by your argument there would be more superstars.

Example, there is more media for video and television. Are we over saturated and now have no superstar actors, actresses and celebrities? No, If anything we have more.

Yet, none of the points you have made have effectively negated Cobain's influence culturally.
        Did In Utero really put a dent in Nirvana's popularity? And three years removed from a magnum opus isn't very long in the music world. Most bands don't release albums but every few years, so the memory of Nevermind was still fresh in the minds of their fans and the music community.

My argument is basically that the industry is diluted. That's the theory I'm advocating. There are more bands having their music heard now and the cream of the crop, top musicians don't have nearly the "market share" (for lack of a better term) that they did 20 years ago.

The music industry and movie industry have been hit differently by the internet and is not a viable comparison at all. The only parallels that you can make between the two are that they are more accessible, but the internet hasn't led to a surge in independent movies the way it has in music. Movies cost a lot more money to make so grassroots films lack production quality and name actors that people recognize and enjoy.

Nothing you have said has effectively confirmed Cobain's influence culturally. It's an opinion your way every bit as much as it is mine. For the record, I'm not saying Cobain/Nirvana haven't influenced people and don't have an important place in musical history. They do. In my mind, it is overblown (which is an opinion). To me, it seems as if the legacies of both Cobain and Nirvana has been greatly enhanced by the timing and nature of his death. That's the only argument I'm really trying to make.

Comment

• Hicks
          • Jun 2004

Just curious as I don't consider myself even close to a "hard core music fan" (I have some preferences and have learned to appreciate the past more via the Rock Band / Guitar Hero games), but the one group I really consider myself a fan of is, as I've said, Foo Fighters. Within circles that are much more into this than I am, how are they thought of? I guess I mean first just among general music fans, and then also among specifically rock fans. How about Dave Grohl in particular?

Comment

• Constellations
            • Mar 2011

Oh wow. Okay, we need to agree to disagree. In 40 years if people are still talking about Nickelback then I denounce my generation. I think if anything, you just proved my point.
            Nickelback is one of the biggest bands in music currently. If you think this isn't true, you should really pay attention.
            Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hicks
              Just curious as I don't consider myself even close to a "hard core music fan" (I have some preferences and have learned to appreciate the past more via the Rock Band / Guitar Hero games), but the one group I really consider myself a fan of is, as I've said, Foo Fighters. Within circles that are much more into this than I am, how are they thought of? I guess I mean first just among general music fans, and then also among specifically rock fans. How about Dave Grohl in particular?
              I, personally, consider Foo Fighters one of the top 10 alternative rock bands that are active.
              Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• cdash
                Whale Shepherd
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Hicks
                I hesitate to answer this because I don't really consider myself to have great knowledge of music per se. I just like to listen to a lot of it. But from what I know, both Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl are highly thought of. Actually, to be perfectly honest, I think Dave Grohl's success with the Foo Fighters actually benefits the memory of Nirvana as well. Something along the, "Oh wow, look how much talent that band had. Even without Cobain, Grohl was able to front a highly successful band." I know the album the Foo Fighters released this year was well received.

Comment

• Constellations
                  • Mar 2011

To me, it seems as if the legacies of both Cobain and Nirvana has been greatly enhanced by the timing and nature of his death. That's the only argument I'm really trying to make.
                  Kurt's death hurt his popularity in my mind, as a person. I keep stating, he's remembered for the wrong reasons. Drugs, failed marriage, supposed suicide attempts, etc. He's never fully appreciated for the remarkable writing skill he incorporated.
                  Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
                    • Mar 2011

I hesitate to answer this because I don't really consider myself to have great knowledge of music per se. I just like to listen to a lot of it. But from what I know, both Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl are highly thought of. Actually, to be perfectly honest, I think Dave Grohl's success with the Foo Fighters actually benefits the memory of Nirvana as well. Something along the, "Oh wow, look how much talent that band had. Even without Cobain, Grohl was able to front a highly successful band." I know the album the Foo Fighters released this year was well received.
                    Just a little fact, Dave actually contributed greatly to Nirvana's writing post-Nevermind.
                    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• cdash
                      Whale Shepherd
                      • Jun 2009

Nickelback is one of the biggest bands in music currently. If you think this isn't true, you should really pay attention.
                      Maybe it's not me that should be paying attention...

Just perusing through the iTunes top 200, it's alarming how few actual rock bands there are on there right now. Most of it is rap/hip hop/country/pop acts. My musical tastes vary fairly significantly from yours it seems, but I think in 40 years the premier rock band of this generation will end up being Radiohead.

Comment

• cdash
                        Whale Shepherd
                        • Jun 2009

Just a little fact, Dave actually contributed greatly to Nirvana's writing post-Nevermind.
                        I'm not disputing otherwise.

Comment

• billbradley

The only parallels that you can make between the two are that they are more accessible, but the internet hasn't led to a surge in independent movies the way it has in music. Movies cost a lot more money to make so grassroots films lack production quality and name actors that people recognize and enjoy.
                          Most of this is wrong. I own the same camera that was used for some scenes done by the DP in Black Swan. It's easier than ever for an independent filmmaker to match the quality of mainstream."Name actors" get their start or chose to be in indie films all the time. Also indie films continue to be critically acclaimed, often receiving awards over big budget pictures and I would guess they share around 20% of total box office intake of all films while spending billions total less.

Nothing you have said has effectively confirmed Cobain's influence culturally.
                          I've cited respected musicians, critics, sources and the US government authority on what is culturally relevant and what should be preserved in American history as such. What more could I offer?

You have just offered how you feel about something because you happen to own only two Nirvana songs.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• cdash
                            Whale Shepherd
                            • Jun 2009

Kurt's death hurt his popularity in my mind, as a person. I keep stating, he's remembered for the wrong reasons. Drugs, failed marriage, supposed suicide attempts, etc. He's never fully appreciated for the remarkable writing skill he incorporated.
                            Ever heard the saying, "There's no such thing as bad press?" Cobain might be remembered more for his death, but he's remembered. He has a legacy. People tie in his suicide with his music. They dissect him from every angle. I don't buy any argument that says his death actually hurt his popularity.

Comment

• billbradley

I never really liked Foo Fighters. I loved Big Me when it came out when I was a kid and that Colour Shape album had Everlong? That video by Goundry was amazing. I generally felt they were a little watered down. I think after Cobain committed suicide, I read that Grohl promised himself he wouldn't make music that could be depressing.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Constellations
                                • Mar 2011

Maybe it's not me that should be paying attention
                                Really? Disputing the fact that Nickelback is one of the biggest bands,, if not one of the biggest from the genre from 2000-2010, is just ridiculous.
                                Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

Working...