X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trader Joe
    DIET COKE!
    • Jan 2006

Re: Odd Thoughts: Round 2 game 6 of 2012 NBA playoffs

Bosh going down is a double sided coin. No doubt it helped us win games 2 and 3, but once the Heat adjusted Lebron and Wade having the ball that much and playing so well is just impossible to counter.

Like I said after game 4, if Lebron and Wade beat us with greatness, there's not much we can do, just tip our hats and get ready to get better next year.

Off the top of my head, I think Barbosa is probably gone, which I really just have to say good riddance. No hard feelings, and I appreciate the fact that he probably helped us earn the 3 seed, but man he was awful in this series. He had one OK game in game 2 and that was it. Just really disappointing. This is a terrible matchup for him though on both ends of the court.

You also have to think that one of Hill or Collison won't be back, whcih makes me sad as they both have really been special for us at times this season, and I think they do both get along with the team really well, but I understand that if the opportunity presents itself to get a D-Will or Nash you have to do it and that doesn't leave room for both Hill and DC. I think we should try and package DC and Tyler for a better young big man, somebody who can rebound and gives us more size. I hope we keep Hill and then get a new starting PG and let Hill come off the bench as a combo guard back up. I don't want to see him leave as a hometown kid and I don't want to see that trade from last year wasted. Need to figure out a way to retain him.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 05-25-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• Trader Joe
      DIET COKE!
      • Jan 2006

Also, Shaw is probably gone, that is going to sting. Really sting.

Comment

• bellisimo
        International Counter
        • Apr 2006

yea it'll be interesting to see who we get/target as an assistant coach

Comment

• vnzla81
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by bellisimo
          yea it'll be interesting to see who we get/target as an assistant coach
          Hopefully is somebody that can help Vogel with the offense.
          @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• Since86
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by joew8302
            One thing that I think is important after the season is to not judge a player based on this series alone. Like many of you said, Barbosa was absolutely horrible. That said he was going up against DWade. he was pretty good for most of the season, and I believe that has to account for more than one poor series against an elite perimiter team.
            Barbosa had Mike Miller with a half leg and one shoe the other night, and decided to throw up jumpers. He was just flat out awful, period, regardless of what the matchup was. That's on Barbosa, not the defense.

The lack of bench play really killed the Pacers. If it was 8 Pacers going up against LeBron and Wade, the Pacers have a lot better shot. Practically every time the bench came into the game the momentum swung back towards the Heat.

They were really the achilles heal all playoffs long.
            Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

• RWB
              • May 2004

Lack of hustle at times in this series really got to me. Maybe Miami is just so much quicker, but there were times the Pacers looked like biddy ball waiting for the ball to land in their laps. And I still had a sense they may have felt satisfied just making the 2nd round.
              You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

• Unclebuck
                Administrator
                • Jan 2004

Now before I go any further let me make sure this point is loud and clear. I believe in Frank Vogel. I think he is one of the best coach’s in the NBA and honestly believe that he was the result of divine intervention saving our team from the clutches of evil.

Now having said that I will say this, I think he probably cost us this game. That may be harsh and it may not even be completely accurate but once again tonight our starters built a lead and like clockwork (orange in this case) in comes the bench and the lead not only dissipates but is now a deficit that the starters have to come back in and try and get back. But of course by this time they are cold and Miami has grown in confidence from seeing the ball go through the hoop so often.

Yes I know we got the lead back and I know that he didn’t play them again as a unit but at the end of the day it just seemed like they sucked the life out of both the building and the team. Why he once again insisted playing them as a unit is beyond me.
                I said before the game that Paul George needs to defend Wade every second that Wade is on the floor (of course if Danny wasn't healthy enough to guard Lebron, then my want goes out the window) but Wade really got going when Barbosa starting guarding him and by the time Paul Geirge came back in it was too late Wade was too hot.

Having said that I think Vogel was trying to limit the bench as much as he could, but if you looked at Hibbert throughout the fourth quarter he was dead tired, I thought he was going to fall over a couple of times. He's not capable of playing too many minutes and he played 39 minutes and 53 seconds, so basically 40 minutes - that is too much, so I feel for Frank, he did what he could..

Honestly I have no complaint about how Frank used the bench and starters in this game, he extended the starters as much as he could, they were dead tired in the 4th and that was a big factor - the Pacers were trying to play with energy, but I just don't think they were able to physically.

I don't care if West or Granger shock anyones hands. I don't care if they did, it is a personal decision - it is really none of my concern either way. If I were in that situation not sure what I would do
                Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-25-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• D-BONE
                  Peace Dog
                  • Feb 2006

I think Hibbert deserves at best a C+. Yeah, part of the deal is inability of others to get him the ball, but he was also really weak at establishing position. And last night I just had the feeling that, given the offensive struggles, he didn't do enough in other areas to have significant impact. Not good for an elimination game.

I guess Granger with a B is okay given the effort to play through the injury, but the third and fourth fouls reaching were bone headed enough for me to cancel a lot of that out. For the series he's probably B-/C+.

I'm wondering if we won't be suprised (or not) for what we consider a fairly big piece of our current core to be moved in search of a higher caliber talent. Imagine if we could somehow seduce DWill, then add another top line talent by trading somebody from Granger, Hibbert, George. I'm just trying to imagine what might happen if Bird (or future Pres.) comes to the realization that we need to seriously go get some better individual talents.

Hibbert, for example, it seems like sacrilege, but 3 of the 4 semifinalists won't have a legitimate/traditional/scoring 5. And Hibbert, although I like him, will never be a T Duncan. Just saying, it could happen that the front office says, this is our other big shot offseason. We have to get creative and aggressive. Or not.

Hill would be good as the 3rd guard if adding a legit PG. His ability to play either G position off the bench is a huge asset. If we ever hope to run a decent looking fast break we've got to find a legit floor general PG.

Last but not least, I beg Vogel that when the 3s aren't falling, to tell the guys to step in a few feet when they're wide open. Might make a basket an get in rhythm to be able to go back to the 3 later.
                  I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

• joew8302
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Since86
                    Barbosa had Mike Miller with a half leg and one shoe the other night, and decided to throw up jumpers. He was just flat out awful, period, regardless of what the matchup was. That's on Barbosa, not the defense.

The lack of bench play really killed the Pacers. If it was 8 Pacers going up against LeBron and Wade, the Pacers have a lot better shot. Practically every time the bench came into the game the momentum swung back towards the Heat.

They were really the achilles heal all playoffs long.
                    The bench was bad all postseason, you will have no argument from me. Barbosa is hot/cold though. He will give you an A or an F. Sometimes you have to live with the latter. If it were not for him wwe probably don't get the 3 seed.

Comment

• BRushWithDeath
                      Play McRoberts and Price!
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Unclebuck
                      Having said that I think Vogel was trying to limit the bench as much as he could, but if you looked at Hibbert throughout the fourth quarter he was dead tired, I thought he was going to fall over a couple of times. He's not capable of playing too many minutes and he played 39 minutes and 53 seconds, so basically 40 minutes - that is too much, so I feel for Frank, he did what he could..
                      The Pacers outscored the Heat by 13 when Hibbert played. The 8 minutes he was out was a 25 point Heat advantage.

I'd have rather had a comatose Hibbert for 8 additional minutes than the 9 we got from Hansbrough (-19!) and 3 from Amundson.
                      "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Comment

• alamo1978
                        • Mar 2009

Just make this Thank You page on Facebook for the Pacers...

Comment

• Justin Tyme
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by speakout4

Our passing is just lazy.

Careless is another adjective to go along with lazy in describing the Pacers passing. The worst was Paul George. I got to the point of cringing whenever he had the ball expecting a TO. He's got to work on his ballhandling and passing. He needs to understand he can't drive to the basket like a whimpy scared puppy, but with FORCE! Right now his game is shooting 3's and driving to the basket, he needs to work on developing a good mid-range game over the off season to be more effective and to be a player for other teams to have to respect his overall game.

Comment

• Justin Tyme
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Unclebuck

I don't care if West or Granger shock anyones hands. I don't care if they did, it is a personal decision - it is really none of my concern either way. If I were in that situation not sure what I would do

I understand your view, just not sure I can agree with it. It's called sportsmanship and there is no substitute for it. If the Pacers had won the series and Wade and LeBron refused to have shook the Pacers hands, this board would have exploded over it. Be the bigger person and offer congrats, and then work hard during the off season towards beating their a**** next year. Emily Post might disagree with this but
                            THERE IS A SWEETNESS ABOUT REVENGE!

Comment

• Unclebuck
                              Administrator
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Justin Tyme
                              I understand your view, just not sure I can agree with it. It's called sportsmanship and there is no substitute for it. If the Pacers had won the series and Wade and LeBron refused to have shook the Pacers hands, this board would have exploded over it. Be the bigger person and offer congrats, and then work hard during the off season towards beating their a**** next year. Emily Post might disagree with this but
                              THERE IS A SWEETNESS ABOUT REVENGE!
                              It isn't a big deal to me either way. I remember when I played little league baseball, basketball, there were a few times I did not want to shake the hand of the other team's players and say good game good game - we didn't have any choice in the matter, but I often did not want ot and many times I didn't mean what I said.

Who knows maybe West or Granger congratulated the heat players after the game in the locker room or in another way. We don't know, it is their call

Comment

• Since86
                                • Dec 2004

Shaking hands at the end of a game doesn't necessarily promote good sportsmanship. I've seen/heard a lot of things in my life during those lines, and I've seen even worse as a spectator. (I've actually watched a guy punch another guy in the balls as they were going through the line)

Whether you shake hands or not, it doesn't mean you're a good sport or a bad sport.
                                Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

Working...