Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TooBigNdaPaint
    • Jul 2010

Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

Thank God that we've NOT as bad as the score indicated vs Houston. Houston played excellent team defense (as they must play in the Western Conference to compete against the Lakers, Jazz, San Antonio, etc. etc. . Even Orlando talked about taking 'controlling' of the game with their defense. You could SEE that they turned it UP a notch in the 2nd half and took control of the game with their defense. Cleveland (last year with Lebron), Miami, Atlanta, all play the same way. They seem to go through the motions to FEEL you out and then turn UP the defense to take control of the game. As Dwight Howard said after the game, defense wins championships.

Well, it seems very obvious to me that the Pacers need to FOCUS on defense as well so we can win a few more games this year. We, at least, have the athletes to play defense although our FRONT LINE is not very physical and plays with a bit too much finesse. LB and Morway needs to find us a PHYSICAL starting PF and starting Center. Our back court and Wings are athletic enough and we should be okay but I'm tired of seeing our FRONT LINE (and Offense unit overall) get manhandled every night.

If JOB or our coaching staff can't TEACH defense to our guys, we need to find another coach and/or staff!!! We all saw HOW the Magic defended the PnR. When we set a PICK, they would jump very aggressively to STOP our guy with the ball and destroy the PnR. On the other hand, we didn't JUMP out aggressively and they were able to consistently EXECUTE the PnR all night long without much resistance from us. Also, Hibbert turned the WRONG way on the PnR when we executed it. Instead of turning toward the ball after he set the PICK, he turned the opposite direction because he knew in JOB's offense, the ball was going to be passed to a Wing on the baseline.

Wake up JOB and have the team FOCUS on DEFENSE first. We need to raise our defensive intensity and get turnovers from steals and deflections to start our offense. Until then, we'll continue to LOSE ugly.

Comment

• kester99
      The light, not the lie.
      • Nov 2007

I've never thought Danny and Mike were a great combo on the floor. Granger gets most of the focus, and Dunleavy is relegated to a 3rd or 4th option. I'd rather see Dunleavy in the 2nd unit, like last night, as the 1st or 2nd scoring option.

Having said that, I'd have to go with Rush in the starting 5. It doesn't mean I think he's better than Mike. The 'starter' mystique gets in the way of a good platooning rotation sometimes, seems to me.

Dahntay's not in the hunt.
      Last edited by kester99; 10-10-2010, 03:19 PM.

[~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Comment

• Hicks
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BlueNGold
        Personally, I think Bowen was a better defender than Rush...but that's not why he was better. Bowen savored the clutch shot. Rush is the antithesis of a Reggie Miller type player. Rush hits for a good percentage but I don't think he wants the ball when the game is on the line. Call it the mental aspect of the game. Rush has everything physical but lacks a lot mentally. Bowen did not.
        I thought Brandon hit big shots for Kansas during their title run?

Comment

• BlueNGold
          Banned
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by vnzla81
          Is this a basketball decision or is your choice because Rush got suspended? sometimes I think people want to play the choir boy in Dunleavy because he is a nicer guy and does not get in trouble even though he is not that good anymore.
          Hardly. I have simply given up on Rush for the starting SG position. Dunleavy is like an interim coach that I would like to see go away, so stop with the choir boy stuff. The fact Rush had issues with pot is not all that important to me. I simply think he lacks the mental part of the game. Reggie Miller certainly wasn't as athletic but was far and away a better player. There is value to the mental aspect of the game that many here seem to miss entirely with Brandon. He gets an F in that category IMHO.

Comment

• speakout4
            • Aug 2006

What good are high percentage completions if you are reluctant to shoot? Not Dahntay or Brandon are the answer. Hopefully George!
            Game on the line or pacers behind? Don't look to Brandon because he doesn't want the ball. Defend the guy who has the ball, yes.

Comment

• BlueNGold
              Banned
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Hicks
              I thought Brandon hit big shots for Kansas during their title run?
              Ok, I am waiting. BTW, I am OK with giving him one more year, but so far he's not shown that he has "the right stuff". I never watched him at Kansas and from his scoring average he wasn't exactly aggressive. That was college anyway. Damon Bailey lit it up too.

Comment

• flox
                • Dec 2007

Brother, I actually agree with you on this. It has to be correct...
                The world is ending.

Well if you actually do agree with me on this that means that is something that has to be done about the Pacers. We don't see eye to eye on anything else it seems- but if we can agree on this it has to be right.

Was Bruce Bowen a productive starting SF in the NBA?
                Bowen might be the best defender on the perimeter in the past decade. Rush, in my opinion, isn't even close.

Comment

• speakout4
                  • Aug 2006

Ok, I am waiting. BTW, I am OK with giving him one more year, but so far he's not shown that he has "the right stuff". I never watched him at Kansas and from his scoring average he wasn't exactly aggressive. That was college anyway. Damon Bailey lit it up too.
                  Trade him as a package before everyone else realizes he doesn't have the right stuff. Wait another year and his trade value will completely disappear.

Comment

• Hicks
                    • Jun 2004

I guess the other thing is, I don't recall these moments the past two years where I left thinking "Man, Rush really let us down in the clutch." There's that #33 who tends to get all the late game looks....

Comment

• speakout4
                      • Aug 2006

I guess the other thing is, I don't recall these moments the past two years where I left thinking "Man, Rush really let us down in the clutch." There's that #33 who tends to get all the late game looks....
                      Think about it. Granger gets all the touches because no one else wants the ball. How predictable is this team that #33 is really the only guy you have to defend late in the game? There is no other go-to-guy than Granger which has resulted in Granger becoming one dimensional.

Comment

• vnzla81
                        • Jul 2008

Yeah I was thinking the same thing just a crazy argument I think.
                        @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• speakout4
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by vnzla81
                          Yeah I was thinking the same thing just a crazy argument I think.
                          There is letting the team down due to commission and then due to omission.

Comment

• Hicks
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by speakout4
                            Think about it. Granger gets all the touches because no one else wants the ball. How predictable is this team that #33 is really the only guy you have to defend late in the game? There is no other go-to-guy than Granger which has resulted in Granger becoming one dimensional.
                            Did Reggie Miller, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, etc. get all the touches because "no one else wants the ball?"

Comment

• Sookie
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by speakout4
                              Granger gets late game touches because he's the best player on the team and should get those touches.

Regardless, I don't think Rush is a superstar. I think he's an excellent three point shooter and a very good defender. He's a spot up shooter. Unfortunatly, he's not like Dunleavy and doesn't move around to get a shot..he just stands there.

I think if Rush is on the court with aggressive starters, where he can just play defense and shoot when open. Then he'll be fine. I'd like him to learn a midrange game..or heck, just a head fake step in three pointer. But even still, he's a good complimentary player. Kobe Bryant and Lebron James would love to have him.

Comment

• Lord Helmet
                                Fat, Drunk and Stupid
                                • Jun 2004

Get rid of both of them. One's a stoner, who isn't that good, the other just can't really play that well, at least in O'Brien's system.
                                Super Bowl XLI Champions
                                2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Comment

Working...