Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trophy
    • Mar 2009

Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

Mike will probably get the starting SG spot for the first few weeks into the season.

What about the backup SG spot.

Brandon and Dahntay are both really good 1-on-1 defenders.

Dahntay can score more though, but Brandon can shoot and get it in once in a while.
    Dahntay Jones
    14.71%
    Brandon Rush
    85.29%
  • lil lebowsky
    • Jan 2010

Re: Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush

That's a good question. I was more impressed with Dahntay's minutes last year than Brandon Rush's. It appeared as if Dahntay played harder, however sometimes i think that he forced too many shots. Brandon plays a much more controlled game offensively, and it's about a wash defensively. I think that Dahntay is a better ball handler and better at getting to the rim and drawing fouls. Rush is clearly the better shooter.

I think the fact that Rush is durable and can shoot for a good percentage from deep will allow him to get more minutes at the 2. I personally like Dahntay's game better, but I still feel that he will be dealt sometime this year.

I'm really not in love with either player, the both have their shortcomings. Rush only shot about 64% last year from the free throw line, plus he doesn't draw fouls that much at all. He seems to just go thru the motions out there, and on most teams he would be on the bench. Jones appears to play hard on both sides of the ball, however his shot is awful. I've seen him throw up a lot of bricks, and sometimes he can hurt the team by taking those bad shots. So either way having 2 average shooting guards on a team loaded with wing players appears to be too many for me. I assume one will be dealt this year, especially since it appears our front court will need some help on the boards.

Oh and btw, I think that Paul George was a fine pick, and i really think in the next couple of seasons he will become the starer, and he will be the starter for many years to come. Go Pacers!

Comment

• Trader Joe
      DIET COKE!
      • Jan 2006

Rush, Rush, Rush, 1,000 times Rush.

DJones has a horrible basketball IQ, and has a serious case of black hole syndrome. I hate watching him.

Comment

• BRushWithDeath
        Play McRoberts and Price!
        • Dec 2008

I'm not going to answer this poll because neither one of them should get the backup role.

Rush should be the starter with Paul George backing him up.

Dahntay shouldn't ever play.
        "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Comment

• BringJackBack
          • Jun 2010

Well it seems like Brandon is on his way out due to his personal problems so I'd play him at the backup to prove that he is still a good defender.

Basically to showcase him.

Comment

• xtacy
            PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN!
            • Jul 2008

i chose rush just because there isn't a neither option.

Comment

• Mackey_Rose
              Droppin' knowledge, yo.
              • Oct 2010

This shouldn't even be up for debate. DJ is incredibly overrated as a defender and is a poor offensive player. Rush is an incredibly underrated defender and is in no way a worse offensive player than Jones.

Comment

• vnzla81
                • Jul 2008

I am not choosing anybody either I want Rush to be the starter with PG as the back up, Dunleavy and DJ shouldn't even be playing significant minutes.
                @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• Hibbert
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2010

What does anybody see in Rush? What has he done here? He will continue to be just awful. I would rather see AJ Price at the 2. Due to his size, I dont think we will ever get to see that. I always hear everyone saying how good Rush is on defense. Rush played more minutes than anyone else on the team did last year yet only managed 56 steals. How is that good defense? Mike played exactly 1005 minutes less than Brandon and finished with 38 steals. Also Rush in that time had 112 assists, Mike with 103 and Rush with 774 points, Mike 666. I dont like any of our options at the two and I only like Dun coming off the bench. Lance would be my choice. I would like to see what he is capable of doing starting, tired of seeing Mike and Brandon not getting the job done.

Comment

• ThA HoyA
                    High Flyers
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by BringJackBack
                    Well it seems like Brandon is on his way out due to his personal problems so I'd play him at the backup to prove that he is still a good defender.

Basically to showcase him.
                    What do you mean on his way out??

I'd still start rush because he is willing to take a backseat to the other options on the floor. However he can still contribute without scoring, rebounding, blocking shots, and good 1-1 defense. If mike starts he is going to be the 4th option. If mike isn't scoring his contributions don't outway rush's. Bring him off the bench to give that second unit more scoring but better yet a veteran presence on the floor.

Comment

• ThA HoyA
                      High Flyers
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Hibbert
                      What does anybody see in Rush? What has he done here? He will continue to be just awful. I would rather see AJ Price at the 2. Due to his size, I dont think we will ever get to see that. I always hear everyone saying how good Rush is on defense. Rush played more minutes than anyone else on the team did last year yet only managed 56 steals. How is that good defense? Mike played exactly 1005 minutes less than Brandon and finished with 38 steals. Also Rush in that time had 112 assists, Mike with 103 and Rush with 774 points, Mike 666. I dont like any of our options at the two and I only like Dun coming off the bench. Lance would be my choice. I would like to see what he is capable of doing starting, tired of seeing Mike and Brandon not getting the job done.
                      If we go off of "steals" then iverson was one of the best defenders of all time.

Comment

• Hibbert
                        Veteran
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ThA HoyA
                        If we go off of "steals" then iverson was one of the best defenders of all time.
                        Allen Iverson in his prime was a very good defender. He led the league in steals three straight seasons. Man to man he was not a great defender but he gambled and played the passing lanes very well.

Comment

• xBulletproof
                          I have a Member
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Hibbert
                          What does anybody see in Rush?
                          Too many people think offense is the only way to judge a player. PPG the only way to gauge success. This article covers what I'm able to see with my eyes watching the games. If you're not watching the games or have much of an understanding of defense you'll miss this.

Written by Ian Levy Earlier this year John Hollinger of ESPN made some unfavorable...
                          Last edited by xBulletproof; 10-10-2010, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Hicks
                            • Jun 2004

The only thing D. Jones has on Rush is a willingness to attack the basket. Otherwise, it's all Rush, AFAIC.

Comment

• vnzla81
                              • Jul 2008

Here is a nice way to describe what Rush brings to the team that no many people see.

In this admittedly small sample size, Rush’s numbers compare quite favorably. His TO% is low in almost every category but his Points per Possession numbers and FG% allowed are quite impressive. In fact he was tied with Dwyane Wade for the second best overall Points Per Possession allowed. Another surprise was Ron Artest. For all the talk about him losing a step, it’s clear from these numbers that Ron Artest continues to be among the best, if not the best, perimeter defender in the game.

While these numbers don’t directly correlate to Rush’s effect on the team defense, they speak volumes about the type of potential he has at this end of the floor. There has been a lot of talk about his lack of confidence and aggressiveness effecting his offensive game, but I would argue that improvement in those two mental aspects could transform him into a legitimate defensive force. Either way, he appears to be a much better defensive player than I gave him credit for.

Brandon, I am sorry I doubted you. Keep up the terrific work at the defensive end!
                              @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

Working...