Why is Kirk Hinrich not getting more mention as a Pacers target?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anthem
    White and Nerdy
    • Jan 2004

Why is Kirk Hinrich not getting more mention as a Pacers target?

He's got to be available, right? Washington just took him for the pick. They don't need a $9mil backup to Wall and Arenas. They need frontcourt players. They'd love to not pay that big salary next year.

On the other hand, Hinrich could be fine for us, salary-wise. If we traded Troy Murphy for him (which works, BTW), we'd immediately cut almost 3mil from our budget this year. We'd have to pay him next year, but his salary is one of the few in the NBA that actually goes DOWN at the end of this contract.

The kid's durable. He can hit the 3. He can run a team. He's a good defender.

He's not worth the money he's making, sure. If he's one of your 2 or 3 best players, you're in trouble. But he'd be a big step up from TJ, and he should mesh well with the Rush/Granger/Hibbert.

Why are we not pursuing Captain Kirk?
    This space for rent.
  • Psyren
    Batman's New Side Kick
    • Aug 2008

Re: Why is Kirk Hinrich not getting more mention as a Pacers target?

Yes he's a very expensive backup, but I view him kind of as "Rookie/Criminal" insurance for Wall and Gilbert.

Maybe that's just me. But I would love to have him.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Comment

• CableKC
      • Mar 2005

I disagree. I think the Wizards did get him to be a very solid ComboGuard to backup Wall and Arenas. If anything he's insurance for insurance just in case he gets injures again.
      Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

• beast23
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Anthem
        He's got to be available, right? Washington just took him for the pick. They don't need a $9mil backup to Wall and Arenas. They need frontcourt players. They'd love to not pay that big salary next year....

He can hit the 3. He can run a team. He's a good defender.
        He's also a leader. He can penetrate. And just as importantly, he simply plays tough.

He's been a favorite of mine for a few years now. I really don't care what kind of offense you are running, I believe that Hinrich is adaptable enough to run it.

We've all complained about several of the names that were tossed around for PG, saying that they were/are only stop-gap measures at the position. Well, Hinrich is the real deal and a long-term solution.

If I had to, I'd even throw in one or two second round picks to get the deal done.

If there were an exception to Bird not accepting back multi-year contracts on trades, I would have to think that Hinrich would be it.

Comment

• HC
          Parachromis
          • Aug 2008

I love his defense, but that contract....idk
          "The greatest thing you know Comes not from above but below" Danzig

Comment

• Anthem
            White and Nerdy
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by beast23
            If I had to, I'd even throw in one or two second round picks to get the deal done.
            You shouldn't have to. They got a pick for taking him, they shouldn't get a pick for giving him up.
            This space for rent.

Comment

• BornReady
              • Nov 2009

how nice would it have been if we were able to do what washington did...
              Peck is basically omniscient when it comes to understanding how the minds of Herb Simon and Kevin Pritchard work. I was a fool to ever question him and now feel deep shame for not understanding that this team believes in continuity above talent.

Comment

• HC
                Parachromis
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BornReady
                how nice would it have been if we were able to do what washington did...
                I would settle for George, Stephenson, and Rolle all turning out to be solid contributors. Oh yeah, and Tyler also.

Comment

• pwee31
                  Release Psycho T
                  • Aug 2006

I think it's b/c the Wizards aren't moving him.

His name was brought up when he was a member of the Bulls, but now that he's on the Wizards, I expect them to keep him and use him a mentor and 6th man to Wall and Arenas

Comment

• Anthem
                    White and Nerdy
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by pwee31
                    I think it's b/c the Wizards aren't moving him.

His name was brought up when he was a member of the Bulls, but now that he's on the Wizards, I expect them to keep him and use him a mentor and 6th man to Wall and Arenas
                    They've got about 45M in salaries, and 25M of that is going to point guards.

Down that path madness lies.
                    This space for rent.

Comment

• HC
                      Parachromis
                      • Aug 2008

Isn't it a possiblity they will try and move Arenas? Not that I would want him, just asking.

Comment

• Psyren
                        Batman's New Side Kick
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HC
                        Isn't it a possiblity they will try and move Arenas? Not that I would want him, just asking.
                        Possible. I would imagine the Wiz woudln't be asking all that much for him either.
                        Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Comment

• Kemo
                          PD's Resident Horror Icon
                          • Dec 2007

He can penetrate.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

• beast23
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Anthem
                            You shouldn't have to. They got a pick for taking him, they shouldn't get a pick for giving him up.
                            To me, Hinrich is the more desirable player between he and Murphy... at least from a Pacer perspective.

So, just saying... to get a quality player in return for Murphy.... I'd be willing to sacrifice the picks if required.

Comment

• Anthem
                              White and Nerdy
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by HC
                              They've tried and failed.

The dude cannot be moved.

To me, Hinrich is the more desirable player between he and Murphy... at least from a Pacer perspective.
                              Agreed. But from a Washington perspective, I could see Murph being more desirable.
                              This space for rent.

Comment

Working...