.500 finish very attainable: "Is this the one, Quinn?! Is this the one?!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • freddielewis14
    ---------
    • Jun 2008

Re: .500 finish very attainable: "Is this the one, Quinn?! Is this the one?!!!

Originally posted by sav
    I'm standing by my preseason prediction.

38 wins will get you into the Eastern Conference playoffs. 37 is borderline, 36 and we'll see you next season.
    Normally I would agree, but with Miami, Milwaukee, Boston, Charlotte, Brooklyn and Indiana all playing each other multiple times I think that changes things.

Comment

• sav
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by freddielewis14
      Normally I would agree, but with Miami, Milwaukee, Boston, Charlotte, Brooklyn and Indiana all playing each other multiple times I think that changes things.
      I hope you're right because I think the Pacers are going to struggle to get to 36 wins. I hope they can and sneak into the playoffs.

Comment

• Phree Refill
        • Sep 2008

I've resigned to the fact that .500 isn't happening but I'll toss out some numbers to show how "close" we really were.

The Pacers have played 15 games decided by 3 points or less.
        The league average for games decided by 3 points or less is 9.73 games per team.
        We're over 54% higher than the league average in close games played.
        We are 3-12 in such games (.250).
        The league average winning percentage in games decided by 3 points or less is .519
        Our winning percentage is over 40% worse in close games than the rest of the league.
        30% of all of our losses to date have come by 3 points or less.
        At least four of those losses that I can remember came from opponents making a shot within the final 10 seconds of the game.

The numbers above indicate most teams in the league win their close games and there is only a few teams (Pacers, Phoenix, New York) that are the recipients of most of the losses from close games. (Phoenix is 3-10, New York is 1-6)

If we could have just went 8-7 in these 15 games (right on par with the league average winning percentage of .519), we'd be sitting at 35-35 right now nestled warmly in that 6th seed. I still don't think we're nearly as bad as our record indicates but when it comes time to put up or shut up we haven't been delivering and that's ultimately all that matters.
        Last edited by Phree Refill; 03-24-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Phree Refill
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Shade
          Indiana:
          Free: 2
          Push: 5 (@ Milwaukee, @ Brooklyn, @ Boston, vs. Charlotte, vs. Miami)
          Challenge: 5
          Projected finish: 4-8
          Projected final record: 34-48
          Projected seed: 10

Needless to say, it doesn't look good for us. We pretty much need to sweep the Free and Push categories.
          3 of these challenge games are the last 3 games of the season with 2 of them being at home. I'm pinning my hopes on OKC, Washington, and Memphis all being locked into their positions by that point and perhaps these games won't be as much of a "challenge." But then again, who TF knows with this team...

Comment

• Phree Refill
            • Sep 2008

Kudos to Lavoy for producing when called on. It’s not easy to be relegated to the bench and then be asked to step in and contribute on a whim.

Wizards broadcast guys on the Wall three: “Good pick set by Gortat…. actually it wasn’t that good of a pick. George Hill could have gotten around that but just kinda stopped.” Tough to fight through anything when a guy is grabbing onto you and pulling you into his body.

Still two more losses. TWO-WAHHH.

Group A (2-3)
            Atlanta (L) Dallas (H) Golden State (W) Memphis (A) New Orleans (W) Sacramento (L) San Antonio (L)
            Prediction: (3-4)

Group B (8-9)
            Boston (L,A) Brooklyn (L,A) Chicago (W,L) Detroit (W,A) Houston (2L) Miami (L,H) Milwaukee (W,A) Oklahoma City (L,H) Orlando (2W) Philadelphia (2W) Toronto (2L) Washington (W,H)
            Prediction: (16-8)

Group C (3-2)
            Charlotte (L,W,H) Cleveland (2W,L)
            Prediction: (3-3)

Group D (3-0)
            New York (3W,A)
            Prediction: (4-0)

Overall pace through thirty games: (16-14)
            Prediction: (17-13)

Various Stats-
            Record at start of thread: 15-26
            Current record: 31-40
            Record needed from here on out for .500: 10-1
            Predicted next 5 games: W,L,W,W,W
            Playoff chase: 6th – 4 behind, 7th - 2 behind, 8th – 0 behind

Comment

• Shade
              Administrator
              • Jan 2004

The Pacers, Nets, and Heat made some ground last night while Charlotte and Boston lost some ground:

Milwaukee:

Free: 3
              Push: 4 (vs. Indiana, @ Boston, vs. Brooklyn, vs. Boston)
              Challenge: 4
              Projected finish: 6-5
              Projected final record: 41-41
              Projected seed: 6

Miami:
              Push: 2 (@ Indiana, vs. Charlotte)
              Challenge: 7
              Projected finish: 3-8
              Projected final record: 36-46
              Projected seed: 7

Boston:
              Push: 4 (@ Charlotte, vs. Indiana, vs. Milwaukee, @ Milwaukee)
              Challenge: 5
              Projected finish: 4-7
              Projected final record: 35-47
              Projected seed: 8

Indiana:
              Push: 5 (@ Milwaukee, @ Brooklyn, @ Boston, vs. Charlotte, vs. Miami)
              Challenge: 4
              Projected finish: 4-7
              Projected final record: 35-47
              Projected seed: 9

Brooklyn:
              Push: 2 (vs. Indiana, @ Milwaukee)
              Challenge: 7
              Projected seed: 10

Charlotte:
              Push: 3 (vs. Boston, @ Indiana, @ Miami)
              Challenge: 6
              Projected seed: 11

Comment

• Phree Refill
                • Sep 2008

With all of these teams playing each other so many times here in the last 10 games of the season, it's almost like a round robin tournament for the final 3 playoff spots. Should make for an interesting finish to the season if nothing else.

Comment

• Shade
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Phree Refill
                  With all of these teams playing each other so many times here in the last 10 games of the season, it's almost like a round robin tournament for the final 3 playoff spots. Should make for an interesting finish to the season if nothing else.
                  Yep, beating one of these other teams on their home floor is almost like winning two games at this point.

Comment

• Ace E.Anderson
                    • Dec 2011

Whichever teams get into the playoffs will have an excitingly wild end to their regular season, and will probably go into the playoffs excited about their late season push.

The other teams will look back and think "well we had our chance", and go into the offseason thinking "what-if"

Comment

• Shade
                      Administrator
                      • Jan 2004

10-0

Comment

• Phree Refill
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Shade
                        10-0
                        Knowing full well this was the most likely scenario to come of last night’s game, I tasked myself with looking up the last time the Pacers had a 10 game win streak… and couldn’t find a damn thing. This is because such a thing doesn’t exist. In the NBA, this franchise has never had a double digit win streak in the regular season. If you count playoffs and regular season, the ’94 wonder team ripped off 12 straight (8 regular season, 4 in the playoffs). You have to go back to nearly the beginning in the ABA to find a 10 game win streak. The 1969 team won 13 straight and the 1973 team won 11 straight. The magic number we always seem to get stuck on is 7 games. We’ve had close to two dozen 7 game win streaks throughout the years.

Next loss puts this to sleep.

Group A (2-3)
                        Atlanta (L) Dallas (H) Golden State (W) Memphis (A) New Orleans (W) Sacramento (L) San Antonio (L)

Group B (8-10)
                        Boston (L,A) Brooklyn (L,A) Chicago (W,L) Detroit (W,A) Houston (2L) Miami (L,H) Milwaukee (W,L) Oklahoma City (L,H) Orlando (2W) Philadelphia (2W) Toronto (2L) Washington (W,H)

Group C (3-2)

Group D (3-0)
                        New York (3W,A)

Overall pace through thirty-one games: (16-15)
                        Prediction: (18-13)

Various Stats-
                        Current record: 31-41
                        Record needed from here on out for .500: 10-0
                        Predicted next 5 games: L,W,W,W,W
                        Playoff chase: 6th – 5 behind, 7th – 2.5 behind, 8th – 0.5 behind

Comment

• Sparhawk
                          • Nov 2009

.500 isn't happening.

I'll give the Pacers credit, I honestly didn't think they'd win over 30.
                          First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

Comment

• aamcguy
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Sparhawk
                            .500 isn't happening.

I'll give the Pacers credit, I honestly didn't think they'd win over 30.
                            I think that pretty much became clear to everybody when we went on a 7-game losing streak. Now, when we have to go undefeated the rest of the way, it's more clear than crystal. Two months ago, with everybody but PG finally healthy, it was much less certain they couldn't make it to .500.
                            Time for a new sig.

Comment

• Phree Refill
                              • Sep 2008

We’re one win in New York away from hitting every group goal except Group B. Next 2 weeks will decide if we make the playoffs. Every game is huge.

Still living on the edge. 1 loss away from shutting this down.

Group A (3-3)
                              Atlanta (L) Dallas (W) Golden State (W) Memphis (A) New Orleans (W) Sacramento (L) San Antonio (L)

Group B (8-10)
                              Boston (L,A) Brooklyn (L,A) Chicago (W,L) Detroit (W,A) Houston (2L) Miami (L,H) Milwaukee (W,L) Oklahoma City (L,H) Orlando (2W) Philadelphia (2W) Toronto (2L) Washington (W,H)

Group C (3-2)

Group D (3-0)
                              New York (3W,A)

Overall pace through thirty-two-wahh games: (17-15)
                              Prediction: (18-14)

Various Stats-
                              Current record: 32-41
                              Record needed from here on out for .500: 9-0
                              Predicted next 5 games: W,W,W,W,W
                              Playoff chase: 6th – 4 behind, 7th – 2 behind, 8th – 0.5 behind
                              Last edited by Phree Refill; 03-30-2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Richard_Skull
                                A Hill to get over a hill
                                • Jul 2009

The league average winning percentage in games decided by 3 points or less is .519

Quick question. How is that mathematically possible, shouldn't the league average always be .500? One team wins, the other loses. Does 'League' mean the other 29 teams (Not counting ours)?
                                PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Comment

Working...