X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gummy
    I don't even know anymore
    • Aug 2006

Supporting the Fever & Tamika Catchings

Alright. We all know that some people dismiss the WBNA as a whole right off the bat - who wants to watch girls play when you can watch the high-flying men instead?

I'm not addressing those people. What is there to say to them anyway?

I want to talk to people who say they love basketball in general, those who express a longing for solid fundamentals and teamwork, and even those who say they want to watch players of good character on the court. Then there are folks that like to watch a star in action, the bandwagoners who just want to follow a winning team, and the fans who are disgruntled about high NBA ticket prices.

What stops any of you from supporting the Indiana Fever? They have a strong chance to win a WNBA championship this year, behind the stength of a great team lead by an all-everything perennial MVP candidate who is regularly recognized for her good works off the court.

I'll admit it - I find the men's game more exciting, overall. But I greatly appreciate the fundamental skills and heart of most of the players in the WNBA. It's clear to me when I look at the younger players that the skill levels and athleticism are improving by leaps and bounds (no pun intended) and along with that is an increase in the level of excitement these players bring to the court. I'm pleased to be able to support the growth of a league that encompasses all of these things.

A native Hoosier that lives across the country, I can't attend any games. I catch what I can online and buy team merchandise. When I move to Indy soon-ish I am definitely getting Fever season tickets and I just might try to swing a trip if the team makes it to the Finals. I think the energy of a crowd has an impact on athletic performance and I hope people turn out in force for the Fever during the playoffs. We have a unique opportunity to build something (a strong, fan supported franchise) that we can enjoy and be proud of. We can have our cake and eat it too! For those of you still living in the land of basketball - what's stopping you?

Just reading the first paragraph of Tameka's bio (http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/tamik...hings/bio.html) gets me all riled up. She's a rare talent, a joy to watch. Who wouldn't want to support this lady?
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider
  • ABADays
    Boom Baby'er
    • Jan 2004

Re: Supporting the Fever & Tamika Catchings

I'm a Fever fan and am looking forward to listening the stream tonight against Detroit. If the Pacers don't get its act together there might be some that feel like the Fever is a better option for their hard-earned money.

But it is interesting. We have another team in the city that faces the same lack of attention. Butler has proven time and again it is deserving of support. But, most others would rather see IU or Purdue play even though the Bulldogs beat them all last year.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Comment

• gummy
      I don't even know anymore
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ABADays

But it is interesting. We have another team in the city that faces the same lack of attention. Butler has proven time and again it is deserving of support. But, most others would rather see IU or Purdue play even though the Bulldogs beat them all last year.
      Hmmmm. Why do you think this is the case? Is it just that IU and Purdue have so much more storied basketball histories? Or is it that both are larger and better regarded academically (lending to overall prestige)?

It seems to me that even IU outshines PU overall. I always thought the Bobby Knight years had something to do with that. It never hurts to have a charismatic (or controversial) coach - at least in terms of butts in seats.
      "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Comment

• carpediem024
        Seize The Day
        • Feb 2007

I like watching Fever than the Pacers, I used to love the Pacers but everyone is gone.

But I still like them.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
        press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Comment

• RWB
          • May 2004

Originally posted by macgumerait
          Or is it that both are larger and better regarded academically (lending to overall prestige)?
          Has to be your first point. I do believe Butler's academic reputation can hold it's own.
          You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

• ABADays
            Boom Baby'er
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by macgumerait
            Hmmmm. Why do you think this is the case? Is it just that IU and Purdue have so much more storied basketball histories? Or is it that both are larger and better regarded academically (lending to overall prestige)?

It seems to me that even IU outshines PU overall. I always thought the Bobby Knight years had something to do with that. It never hurts to have a charismatic (or controversial) coach - at least in terms of butts in seats.
            Actually, I think it's conditioning. We are led to believe women's basketball cannot be as good as men's. Same thing with Butler. We are led to believe mid-major basketball cannot be as good as big conference basketball despite what the Bulldogs continue to do year after year.
            The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Comment

Working...