Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Indiana University Athletics Thread 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2015-2016

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
    this Maryland/Georgetown game on ESPN2's fun as hell, you should watch
    I'm watching

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
      And its what killed us. An easily exploitable weakness that a superior coach used against us. Not just once. Most of our losses involved taking advantage of that.
      Most of our what, 6, 7 losses that season? That team was complete. There was a reason they were #1 most of the year and a #1 seed in the tournament. They were so good in spite of Crean's best efforts to derail them (until he saw a zone defense for the first time in the NCAAs).

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
        Hes to short. Against guys his size hes fine. But hes not tall enough to be a great defender overall
        He's strong as hell. He's a plus college defender at his position at this point in his career. No, he's not tall enough to shut somebody down, but if he was, he would be in the NBA by now.

Comment

Another name to grow out there if we do lose Brown: Eron Gordon. Complete the family tradition of going to IU.

Comment

Not shocking, but Brown officially to Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
              Another name to grow out there if we do lose Brown: Eron Gordon. Complete the family tradition of going to IU.
              Granted, I've only seen him play a few times but I've been entirely unimpressed with Eron Gordon each and every one of those times.
              "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Comment

Originally posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
                Granted, I've only seen him play a few times but I've been entirely unimpressed with Eron Gordon each and every one of those times.
                We're also on Rawle Alkins but it's gonna be tough to get him away from NC State.

Comment

Verrrry interesting piece written by Gary Parrish of CBS Sports on Crean:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...sy-being-crean

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- It's such a strange question to ask another person, I realized in advance. But I'd flown to Indianapolis, rented a car and maneuvered 70 minutes down the road to try to find an answer. And now I was sitting in a conference room inside Cook Hall on this sprawling Big Ten campus following a two-hour practice during which Indiana's coach talked about the importance of fighting through screens and rebounding from the guard positions, and he and I were alone. So I decided this was as good a time as any to ask something that's been bouncing around my head for a while.
                  I looked at Tom Crean and started talking.

On one hand, I told him, he's a coach who has made three of the past four NCAA Tournaments, advanced to the Sweet 16 twice in that span, won an outright Big Ten title, earned a No. 1 seed, and overachieved as recently as last season when his Hoosiers were picked 11th in the Big Ten but still made the Field of 68. To most people, I told him, that's good -- especially when you consider Crean has also recruited and developed well enough to have a team ranked 14th in the latest Associated Press poll. However, on the other hand, I told him there always seems to be some segment of IU's fanbase anxious to mock and replace him, and I told him I didn't think I could tweet his name without an Indiana supporter replying with something negative. And I told him that didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Why is life this way for Tom Crean?

That's the question I came here to answer.

So basically, I asked Tom Crean why more people don't like Tom Crean.

"Well, you know what happened last March, right?" Crean asked.

And I did. But I waited for him to say it. And then he did.

"Tom Crean sucks."

As the story goes, Crean and his wife, Joani, were at their son Riley's high school basketball game. It was a road game. Against a rival. And when Riley checked-in and walked onto the court, some students started a "Tom Crean sucks" chant that filled the gym.

"I think I looked at Tom and said, "Well, that's a nice one,'" Joani recalled with a smile.

In other words, pretty quickly, she brushed it aside.

Joani's strong like that. The sister of John and Jim Harbuagh, she can take a hit.

But no father wants to be the source of heckling directed at his teenage son. That's an awful feeling. So while Crean has heard and read plenty of worse things than a cliched chant from some immature kids, he admits that chant from those kids on that night, during his son's game, stung unlike most things he's experienced.

"That was hard," Crean said. "But I didn't feel bad for me. I was OK. But you know it affects him, and, in turn, that affects you. And that's hard. That was really hard."

Equally hard was what happened to Megan Crean, Tom and Joani's oldest child.

She's a student at Indiana.

"Megan is remarkable," Joani said before telling a story that … well, man, listen to this story.

"One of her professors, on April 1, announced to the class that Tom Crean got fired," Joani said. "He said 'Tom Crean was fired this morning.' And Megan was sitting in the class. And people cheered. And then the professor said … 'April Fools!'"

I mean, can you imagine? You're a student, sitting in class, surrounded by friends, and your professor is joking about your father being fired. And your classmates are cheering.

This, in a nutshell, is life for Tom Crean and his family here in Bloomington -- and it's been this way, for one reason or another, for the better part of seven years.

Tom Crean got a big ovation when he was introduced during Indiana's annual Hoosier Hysteria at Assembly Hall last month. Not a single boo, far as I could tell. And after talking to people in and around the program I feel confident suggesting a good portion of IU's fans, perhaps even the majority, remain on board with IU's coach.

That's the sense I get, at least.

Regardless, Crean's critics are out there by the thousands. That's undeniable. They are on Twitter and Facebook and message boards. They are at his son's basketball games. And they're even, apparently, running classrooms on Indiana's campus.

But why?

And where, and when, did this all begin?

Tom Crean is up against a pretty tough standard with John Calipari and Kentucky. (USATSI)
                  To answer those questions, perhaps it's smart to start at the beginning, with Crean's first three seasons at IU that produced an 8-46 Big Ten record. Yes, informed folks understood that was mostly the result of the mess Kelvin Sampson and his staff left behind. But those years were still difficult for IU's intense fanbase to endure, largely for three reasons:

1. John Calipari got the Kentucky job a year after Crean got the Indiana job, and Calipari turned UK into a title contender in roughly 15 minutes. So why was it taking Crean years to do what Calipari did in weeks? Some impatient Indiana fans asked that question, and loudly.

2. Matt Painter led Purdue to a 39-15 Big Ten record -- and two Sweet 16 appearances -- in the same three-year span that Crean coached Indiana to that 8-46 Big Ten record. And it's never easy for fans to watch their team stink while their rival flourishes.

3. Brad Stevens developed into the hottest coach in the sport while Crean was rebuilding, and this happened just 55 miles from IU's campus. The Indiana native led Butler to back-to-back national title games before Crean got Indiana to the NCAA Tournament even once. And, if not for Stevens bouncing to the Boston Celtics and insisting he has no interest in returning to college, some Indiana fans would still be screaming his name, I'm certain.

"Indiana basketball fans are accustomed to IU being a big dog nationally -- year in and year out," said Jeff Rabjohns, who has covered IU for years, previously for The Indianapolis Star, now for Peegs.com. "I don't think there's any question what has occurred at Kentucky and Butler and, to a degree, at Purdue has at times amplified the frustration of IU fans and added pressure to the person in the coach's seat in Bloomington."

Regardless of how long it did or did not take, Crean eventually broke through. He led the Hoosiers to 27 wins and an appearance in the Sweet 16 in 2012. Then, the following season, he guided Indiana to its first outright Big Ten title in more than two decades.

The result of that?

A top seed in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

The Hoosiers opened the event with wins over James Madison and Temple. Then, in the Sweet 16, they faced Syracuse, missed 12 of 15 3-point shots -- despite being the nation's fourth-best 3-point shooting team -- and lost 61-50. And that, as they say, was that. Never mind that upsets happen all the time in that single-elimination tournament. Or that Syracuse had future NBA Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams. Or that Indiana's best 3-point shooter, Jordan Hulls, was injured in a way that caused him to finish 0 of 6 from 3-point range. To the majority of Indiana fans, this was a missed opportunity that doubled as an unforgivable sin, details be damned.

"The loss to Syracuse made it look like we didn't accomplish anything," Crean said. "And then all those guys left."

Those guys were Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller, Christian Watford and Hulls -- otherwise known as four 1,000-point scorers. Predictably, Indiana slipped the subsequent season and missed the NCAA Tournament. And that fact combined with one off-the-court issue after another led to fans and media alike calling for Crean's job.

Meantime, Devin Davis was lying in a hospital.

This was in November 2014, a couple of week's before Indiana's opener. And if you're trying to pinpoint when and where Tom Crean's outlook on everything changed for good, a year ago this month, in an elevator at IU Health Bloomington Hospital, is the right place to start.

"I remember the exact moment when [SID] J.D. Campbell pounded on our front door," Joani Crean said. "I was in a complete stupor. And the first thing I thought of was my daughter."

It was early on a Saturday, middle of the night, and Campbell cut right to it.

Devin Davis, a sophomore forward, was in the hospital.

The night Devin Davis was hit by a car changed a lot of things for Tom Crean. (USATSI)
                  "J.D. said Devin got hit," Joani recalled. "And I said, 'Over what? A girl?' … I didn't think [he meant hit by a] car."

But he did mean hit by a car, and, by now, you probably know the story. Davis was legally drunk. He got out of a vehicle driven by teammate Emmitt Holt, then inexplicably, likely because he was really drunk, ran in front of the vehicle while Holt was driving away. Davis was hit and injured badly. So Tom and Joani Crean rushed to IU Health Bloomington Hospital, where they spent most of the next few days praying for a recovery.

That's what was going on inside that building.

But outside a debate was swirling about the future of Indiana.

The Holt-Davis incident on that Saturday was followed by news that two other Hoosiers (Troy Williams and Stanford Robinson) had failed drug tests, which meant five of IU's 13 scholarship players had been cited for alcohol violations or failed drug tests. Or both. On that Tuesday, Gregg Doyel, the award-winning writer for The Indianapolis Star, began a column with these words: It's only a matter of time, now. Tom Crean cannot coach the Indiana basketball team much longer. When would be too long? The Hoosiers' first exhibition is Thursday night. That would be too long.

"The negativity was piling on," Tom Crean said.

"I was starting to hear rumblings," Joani Crean acknowledged.

And she could sense her husband was hearing and feeling those rumblings, too. So she decided to address the situation. And she did so in an elevator at the hospital while the two were riding up to again see Davis.

"Somebody was in the elevator with us, but then they got off and the door closed," Joani recalled. "And I just looked at him and said, 'We're good. I'm good. Your kids are good. We're fine.' I go, 'Whatever happens from this moment forward is what's supposed to happen. So we'll move on from here.'"

Tom Crean remembered the moment similarly.

"She's the one who helped me most when the accident happened," he said. "I'll never forget it. We're on the first floor heading up to the third, and she said, 'We're going to be fine. Don't worry about [the negativity]. He matters.' And she was pointing up to the third floor, where Devin was. And she said, 'That's what matters. He matters. We're going to be fine.' … And that moment crystalized a lot of things. All the negativity swirling made no dent whatsoever versus how hurt Devin Davis was. ... Now, I didn't like the negativity. But I couldn't focus on it because the kid was hurt. He didn't speak for the first day. And she's the one who helped me. She was really great with that."

Twitter is a fascinating and cruel place where just about anybody with a significant number of followers can't go a day without being called dumb, ugly or worthless in general. If you're an athlete who goofs up, you might get death threats. If you're a Kardashian, good luck. And if you're Tom Crean, yeah, that can also get bad.

TOM CREAN YEAR-BY-YEAR
                  SEASON SCHOOL RECORD POSTSEASON
                  1999-00 Marquette 15-14 NIT 1st
                  2000-01 Marquette 15-14 --
                  2001-02 Marquette 26-7 NCAA 1st
                  2002-03 Marquette 27-6 NCAA Final Four
                  2003-04 Marquette 19-12 NIT Qtrs.
                  2004-05 Marquette 19-12 NIT 1st
                  2005-06 Marquette 20-11 NCAA 1st
                  2006-07 Marquette 24-10 NCAA 1st
                  2007-08 Marquette 25-10 NCAA 2nd
                  2008-09 Indiana 6-25 --
                  2009-10 Indiana 10-21 --
                  2010-11 Indiana 12-20 --
                  2011-12 Indiana 27-9 NCAA Sweet 16
                  2012-13 Indiana 29-7 NCAA Sweet 16
                  2013-14 Indiana 17-15 --
                  2014-15 Indiana 20-14 NCAA R64
                  2015-16 Indiana 2-0 --
                  MU Total 9 years 190-96 --
                  IU Total 8 years 123-111 --
                  TOTALS 17 years 313-207 --
                  Few understand this better than Andrew Wittry. He's a journalism student who covers the Hoosiers for Indiana's campus newspaper, the Indiana Daily Student, and he has a Tweetdeck column dedicated to the phrase "Tom Crean." So Wittry sees everything tweeted about Tom Crean.

"It's mostly negative," Wittry said. "Search 'Tom Crean' sometime and see what the people with 20 followers and an egg avatar have to say about him. … For some reason, he just seems to be an easy target for people."

Crean is aware of this, too.

Which is why you might've noticed, if you're one of his 146,000 followers, that he hasn't tweeted since the day he and his wife had that conversation in that elevator about what's important and what isn't, about what matters and what doesn't. Crean swears he no longer gets on Twitter for any reason. Sure, he has assistants monitor players' accounts and recruiting news, and he trusts his SID will get him anything he needs to read. But he doesn't actually sign-in to his account anymore because, he realized, the negativity was unproductive and, if he were on Twitter, there'd be no way to avoid it.

"The smartest thing I did was get off social media. No more tweeting," Crean said. "If I can get to it, I'm going to look at it. And anybody who says they're not reading [their mentions] is lying. So I'm still reading a lot. But I'm not reading social media."

Consequently, guess who no longer hears negative stuff about Tom Crean?

Answer: Tom Crean.

Because when you spend pretty much every hour of every day in your home surrounded by loved ones, or in a facility surrounded by people who work or play for you, the percentage of crazy people you encounter is drastically reduced. And, for the most part, people are cool in person regardless -- save those kids at that high school down the road.

"I hear about all the negativity, and I know it's there, but I don't see much of it anymore," Crean said. "I know it's there. You'd be naive to think it's not. But I don't see it. So I'm more at peace and more focused on what really matters and what's controllable."

The weird thing about all the turmoil the Holt-Davis accident brought to Indiana is that neither player remains a part of the program. Davis, along with Hanner Mosquera-Perea, was dismissed after he was cited in May for possession of marijuana on campus. And Holt was dismissed in August after another alcohol-related citation, meaning Crean has removed three Hoosiers from his roster since the end of last season.

This has left Indiana small in the frontcourt.

More than that, though, it's left Crean frustrated.

After all Davis had been through, and all the negative attention he'd brought to IU, how could he end up burning marijuana in a dorm? And after Holt damn-near killed his teammate, even if it wasn't really his fault, how could he get back in another vehicle with a bottle of alcohol? Didn't they realize every little thing is now a big thing at Indiana? Don't they know they're damaging the reputations of their school and their coaches and their teammates?

"You have to learn not to take it personally from players," Crean said. "Like … do you think those players [at Louisville] with Rick [Pitino] thought they were hurting Rick?"

"No," I answered.

"But they've hurt Rick," Crean replied in an obvious comment about the ongoing scandal rooted in allegations that Louisville players and recruits partied with dancers and prostitutes in a Louisville dorm. "Kids don't think that way, though. They don't think they're affecting me and my family. But they are. And what we've tried to get across to them is that you're affecting your family and you're affecting the Indiana family [when you create an off-the-court headline]. We've tried to get across to them that their actions affect a lot of people."

In eight seasons at Indiana, Tom Crean has yet to advance past the Sweet 16. (USATSI)
                  Which brings us to the letters.

Crean had Indiana's current players, after Holt was dismissed, write letters to Indiana's former players. They drew names out of a bowl. More than 200 total. And each former player got a handwritten letter from a current player.

"We wanted to tell them that we've made mistakes … but that's not who we are," said Indiana senior Collin Hartman. "And we wanted to tell them that we're going to do everything we can to show that we're good people and good men. … Basically, we just apologized for somewhat tarnishing what they've built."

Tom Crean has only interviewed for two jobs since he was named the head coach at Marquette in March 1999.

"One was Kansas -- when Bill [Self] got it," Crean said. "It was a phone interview. I was in the parking lot at Miller Park."

The other, of course, was Indiana -- a job Crean took in April 2008 and has kept ever since.

Translation: He's not a job-jumper.

So although he's been approached by third-party representatives about openings just about every year since arriving at Indiana, including after last season, Crean swore he's never considered leaving Indiana despite the theory that bouncing to a new school with fresh expectations, at this point, might be wise in the spirit of career longevity.

I asked Crean if anybody has suggested he do that -- bounce out of Indiana.

"Yeah, friends," Crean said. "But I don't listen to that. … I like it here."

And that, more than anything, is my biggest takeaway from three days I spent here in Bloomington -- that Tom Crean really does like it here even if a segment of the fanbase, the size of which is debatable, might not like him here. He believes in what he's done and what he's doing, and he genuinely believes lots of better years are ahead.

Will he ever win enough to win everybody over?

Probably not.

But that's totally beside the point because, after seven years on the job, he's finally come to peace with that reality. He doesn't like it, needless to say, if only because he would, like any of us, prefer to be loved by everybody. And appreciated. And embraced. But that's just never going to be the case at Indiana, for a variety of reasons, and so Tom Crean no longer hopes for that. What he hopes is that his son is never greeted with another negative chant. And that his daughter's professors are done with April Fool's jokes. And that Syracuse never upsets him again in the Sweet 16. And that he takes the Hoosiers to the Final Four.

But, either way, as Joani might say, he's going to be good.

He's going to be good and he's going to be fine.

Comment

that prof's a gigantic dickhead. kinda interesting Crean apparently has actual friends telling him he should take a different job.

Comment

Zeller's IU team was fine defensively. They lost because they couldn't figure out how to beat a zone defense with what was supposed to be an unstoppable offensive squad.

Comment

The media looooooooves Crean. He's high energy and plays an entertaining style

Well Mark Titus is pretty real about Crean, but Mark Titus is also currently unemployed. RIP Grantland

That being said the behavior from the professor is pretty horrifying
                        Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-18-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Joe View Post
                          That being said the behavior from the professor is pretty horrifying
                          right? I know Crean couldn't do it being who he is, but that's a storm across campus and let a guy know what's up deal

Comment

Sounds like Miami had been the leader for Brown a long time FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                              that prof's a gigantic dickhead. .
                              No kidding.... I can't imagine the joy and excitement hearing Crean was FINALLY fired and then finding out it was an April Fool's joke.
                              Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Bball View Post
                                No kidding.... I can't imagine the joy and excitement hearing Crean was FINALLY fired and then finding out it was an April Fool's joke.
                                you're part of the problem.

I say that in jest...but not really. no one's going to be Knight.

Comment

Working...
                                X