Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Constellations
    • Mar 2011

Re: Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Originally posted by Trader Joe
    I agree on the fact they have influenced alot more people due to such a longer tenure. I also agree they are the #1 band?

Understand yet?
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• cdash
      Whale Shepherd
      • Jun 2009

Sorry if this sounds insensitive, but: The best thing that ever happened to Kurt Cobain's career (and Nirvana for that matter) is the tragic nature of his death. He was talented, and Nirvana made decent music, but if he had lived, we wouldn't think about them the same way.

Comment

• Constellations
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cdash
        Sorry if this sounds insensitive, but: The best thing that ever happened to Kurt Cobain's career (and Nirvana for that matter) is the tragic nature of his death. He was talented, and Nirvana made decent music, but if he had lived, we wouldn't think about them the same way.
        Could I say the same about Lennon?

I won't because it's just wrong btw.
        Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Bball
          Jimmy did what Jimmy did
          • Jan 2004

How this discussion has failed to mention Slim Whitman I will never know!
          Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Peck
            Administrator
            • Jan 2004

You know I'll be honest that I forgot that Nirvana's album came out at the same time as Use your Illusion 1 & right before 2.

So they did go head to head with a Juggernaut in that sense.

However it's not like the Beatle's had no musical contemporaries either.

The Beach Boys & the Rolling Stones were also coming on at the same time and the Beach Boys were actually already popular when the Beatles hit.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

• Bball
              Jimmy did what Jimmy did
              • Jan 2004

...and Pet Sounds was inspired by the Beatles....
              Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Bball
                Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                • Jan 2004

One thing I've learned being around the music biz is that (many) people tend to get a little tunnel-vision with the music they like and that they hate (and everywhere in between). They can acknowledge other forms of music but they tend to believe their choices are with the majority... regardless of how true that is or is not. But music is art and not everyone's tastes are the same.

In deciding where bands fit in the grand scheme of things it's hard to distance yourself from the biases. Honestly, seeing the two rankings of Nirvana at #14 and 30 all time both seem to prove my point as well as speak pretty darned highly of Nirvana to be in that stratosphere. Even #30 is pretty darned good.

------

-John Wooden

Comment

• Constellations
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bball
                  One thing I've learned being around the music biz is that (many) people tend to get a little tunnel-vision with the music they like and that they hate (and everywhere in between). They can acknowledge other forms of music but they tend to believe their choices are with the majority... regardless of how true that is or is not. But music is art and not everyone's tastes are the same.

In deciding where bands fit in the grand scheme of things it's hard to distance yourself from the biases. Honestly, seeing the two rankings of Nirvana at #14 and 30 all time both seem to prove my point as well as speak pretty darned highly of Nirvana to be in that stratosphere. Even #30 is pretty darned good.
                  Appreciate the kind words.
                  Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Flibertygibits
                    • Jun 2010

Wow, this thread has blown my mind. I don't care much for the Beetles music at all (feel free to flame me), but I'm not one to deny their influence on music past, present or future.

Arguing that Nirvana holds any merit in the same breath as the Beetles is, in my opinion, foolish. That's mainly based upon, as far as I'm aware, that no band today is saying that Nirvana is in their top five of musical inspirations. Sure, there might be a few...but where exactly are they?

Don't get me wrong at all I like Nirvana. I still remember the first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and it still makes me feel the exact same way as I did back then. As a matter of fact, that's the first song I learned how to play...along with other Nirvana songs.

What, I think, is getting overlooked is how they played their music. They broke music down to a very simple form and had a little run of success at it. To me, the Beetles did the same thing over a longer period of time in a much simpler time of music and reaped the benefits from it. But, to me, that's one of the reasons I don't like the Beetles and why Nirvana was a little stale for my tastes. I'll still listen to them, but I prefer more complex pieces of music because music is so much more than playing it "simple". After all, nobody likes doing the same simple thing over and over all day right?

Comment

• Trader Joe
                      DIET COKE!
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Constellations
                      Could I say the same about Lennon?

I won't because it's just wrong btw.

No because Lennon died over a decade after the Beatles had disbanded. And his death was still a bigger deal than Cobain's

Comment

• Trader Joe
                        DIET COKE!
                        • Jan 2006

Because during Nirvana's time there was much more competition. If you think there was the same amount when the Beatles were up and coming you're so very wrong.

Look if Nirvana created grunge rock, they had no more competition than the Beatles did. If you want to play this card that there more media bands, fine I'll go with that, but at the same time then, I'm going to say it was much harder for news and fame to gather during the Beatles era and they still exploded all over the world. Not just in the northwest United States

Comment

• Trader Joe
                          DIET COKE!
                          • Jan 2006

I agree on the fact they have influenced alot more people due to such a longer tenure. I also agree they are the #1 band?

Understand yet?
                          I still don't see how Kurt Cobain is the John Lennon of the 90s.

Comment

• Trader Joe
                            DIET COKE!
                            • Jan 2006

Oh BTW, I like the Beatles just fine, but honestly for most of my life I've probably liked Nirvana more...go figure.

Comment

• Aw Heck
                              Sure.
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by cdash
                              Yes. Cobain killing himself at/near the height of Nirvana's popularity has skewed people's view of him. It was a tragedy, but people have elevated him and Nirvana to a status that they don't belong in.

I enjoy some of Nirvana's music. Nevermind was one of the best albums on the '90s. But comparing Nirvana to the Beatles is ridiculous. Comparing Nirvana to even the Rolling Stones is ridiculous.

I'm sure if Layne Staley, Chris Cornell or Eddie Vedder died instead of Cobain at the peak of their popularity in the early '90s, they too --WRONGLY-- would be viewed as rock deities.

Comment

• Stryder
                                Nerd.
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Peck
                                You know I'll be honest that I forgot that Nirvana's album came out at the same time as Use your Illusion 1 & right before 2.

So they did go head to head with a Juggernaut in that sense.

However it's not like the Beatle's had no musical contemporaries either.

The Beach Boys & the Rolling Stones were also coming on at the same time and the Beach Boys were actually already popular when the Beatles hit.
                                Late 60s-early 70s...

The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, Fleetwood Mac and even the Yardbirds and the Eagles overlapped each other somewhat...talk about competition...

Comment

Working...