Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Constellations
    • Mar 2011

Re: Amy Winehouse has died

Originally posted by Since86
    John Lennon was the front man for one of, if the the greatest bands of all time. Nirvana and the Beatles aren't even comparable.

I mean, the Beatles held the top five positions on the Top 100 chart at the same freaking time. They have 20 #1 hits. They have 19 #1 albums. I can keep going and going and going and going about the accomplisments of the Beatles.

Nirvana, while a good band, isn't anywhere near them. Not in the same discussion. Not in the same universe.

It's not even close.
    That's where you're wrong. Who are you to say? Nirvana was the #1 band in the rock world overnight with "Smells Like Teen Spirit". That's one hell of a statement.

Believe me when I say, I have a very strong amount of respect for the Beatles, I do. But there wasn't as much competition at that time in music, and I'm not saying if there was that the Beatles wouldn't be as iconic and popular as they are.

You're simply just not researching what Nirvana did.

Typical person that knows of Nirvana (Kurt Cobain): A messed up dude who was a hardcore drug addict and got famous. Then spent more money on drugs and killed himself because he's weird.

This is simply a Beatles person trying to not give any recognition to a band that deserves a hell of alot more than what you're giving, as well as 90% of non grunge, scene, rock fans.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Trader Joe
      This isn't really about Cobain's drug use either, the debate is did he impact on a John Lennon type scale, and the answer is no.
      Over time, absolutely. Look how famous he is now.

Kurt is remembered by most people for the wrong reasons. That fact that he was a heavy drug user and he killed himself. Almost everyone never put the brilliant music he wrote on the table. Lyrically, he songs had hidden meanings, and powerful ones at that. He wasn't that most talented musician, but his talent to write catchy licks was above and beyond.

Do you even know that Kurt was die hard Beatles fan? Listen to the song "About A Girl" and tell me who it sounds like.
      Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Since86
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Constellations
        That's where you're wrong. Who are you to say? Nirvana was the #1 band in the rock world overnight with "Smells Like Teen Spirit". That's one hell of a statement.

Believe me when I say, I have a very strong amount of respect for the Beatles, I do. But there wasn't as much competition at that time in music, and I'm not saying if there was that the Beatles wouldn't be as iconic and popular as they are.

You're simply just not researching what Nirvana did.

Typical person that knows of Nirvana (Kurt Cobain): A messed up dude who was a hardcore drug addict and got famous. Then spent more money on drugs and killed himself because he's weird.

This is simply a Beatles person trying to not give any recognition to a band that deserves a hell of alot more than what you're giving, as well as 90% of non grunge, scene, rock fans.
        So one #1 song can overshawdow 20 #1 hits. That's good to know.

I know exactly what Nirvana did. I listen to their music, I remember the mid 90's.

What you're failing to do is recognize the historical heirarchy, and Nirvana isn't anywhere near the top.

One freaking song, one album, doesn't trump 20+ years of being THE band. You can argue Nirvana would have destroyed the Beatles, Kurt wouldn't have died. I don't agree with it, but I could atleast understand the argument.

But Nirvana's limited body of work isn't anywhere near the discussion.

RollingStone ranked Nirvana 30th. They ranked The Beatles #1.
        From Fats Domino and Chuck Berry to Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails.

VH1 ranked Nirvana 14th. Beatles #1.
        You guys love lists, and we love to start our holiday weekend early, so thanks VH1 for putting together this 100 Greatest Artists Of All Time countdown. (Spoiler Alert: No Wavves…) You should compare it to VH1’s 100 Greatest Artists Of Rock & Roll from 1998 (back when VH1 was VH-1) to see some of […]
        Last edited by Since86; 07-29-2011, 04:08 PM.
        Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

• Bball
          Jimmy did what Jimmy did
          • Jan 2004

Just for clarity's sake let's not forget John Lennon might've done a drug or two in his day.
          Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Trader Joe
            DIET COKE!
            • Jan 2006

Let's put it this way, if the Beatles don't exist, Nirvana doesn't exist, modern rock doesn't exist, music as we know it would be fundamentally changed FOREVER. Nirvana wasn't even the biggest music movement of the decade or the biggest death of an artist of that decade. That was the rap movement and the biggest musical death of that decade was Tupac. Nirvana was a good band. I liked them. They were not international superstars. They did not define a generation. They did none of these things, they maybe defined grunge music which does pale in comparison to what Lennon and the Beatles did. 40 years later you can throw on a song by the Beatles and everyone knows it. You can maybe do that with one song from Nirvana RIGHT NOW and it's only 20 years later.
            Last edited by Trader Joe; 07-29-2011, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Trader Joe
              DIET COKE!
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Bball
              Just for clarity's sake let's not forget John Lennon might've done a drug or two in his day.
              This is not about John Lennon's drug habit vs. Kurt Cobain's drug habit.

Comment

• Constellations
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Since86
                So one #1 song can overshawdow 20 #1 hits. That's good to know.

I know exactly what Nirvana did. I listen to their music, I remember the mid 90's.

What you're failing to do is recognize the historical heirarchy, and Nirvana isn't anywhere near the top.

One freaking song, one album, doesn't trump 20+ years of being THE band. You can argue Nirvana would have destroyed the Beatles, Kurt wouldn't have died. I don't agree with it, but I could atleast understand the argument.

But Nirvana's limited body of work isn't anywhere near the discussion.

RollingStone ranked Nirvana 30th. They ranked The Beatles #1.
                From Fats Domino and Chuck Berry to Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails.

VH1 ranked Nirvana 14th. Beatles #1.
                http://stereogum.com/495331/vh1-100-...all-time/list/
                Imagine Nirvana being around for as long as the Beatles. The work they could have done. Look what they did with 3 years. And it wasn't just one album, that ridiculous. I know you have to be talking about "Nevermind". Shall I point it out?

In Utero Hits:
                1. Heart-Shaped Box
                2. Rape Me
                3. Dumb
                4. Pennyroyal Tea
                5. All Apologies

Incesticide
                1. Sliver
                2. Been A Son
                3. Son of A Gun
                --------------------

I have not claiming that Nirvana is better than the Beatles by any means, but look what Nirvana achieved with 3 years, think with what they could have done with the same tenure the Beatles. You just simply can't say they aren't even close.
                Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
                  • Mar 2011

Let's put it this way, if the Beatles don't exist, Nirvana doesn't exist, modern rock doesn't exist, music as we know it would be fundamentally changed FOREVER. Nirvana wasn't even the biggest music movement of the decade or the biggest death of an artist of that decade. That was the rap movement and the biggest musical death of that decade was Tupac.
                  The Beatles wouldn't exist if Johnny Cash and Elvis didn't exist.
                  Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Trader Joe
                    DIET COKE!
                    • Jan 2006

BTW you want to have some fun, go to wikipedia, type in beatles. What is the first page that comes up?

Go to wikipedia, type in nirvana, what is this first page that comes up?

Comment

• Trader Joe
                      DIET COKE!
                      • Jan 2006

Imagine Nirvana being around for as long as the Beatles. The work they could have done. Look what they did with 3 years. And it wasn't just one album, that ridiculous. I know you have to be talking about "Nevermind". Shall I point it out?

In Utero Hits:
                      1. Heart-Shaped Box
                      2. Rape Me
                      3. Dumb
                      4. Pennyroyal Tea
                      5. All Apologies

Incesticide
                      1. Sliver
                      2. Been A Son
                      3. Son of A Gun
                      --------------------

I have not claiming that Nirvana is better than the Beatles by any means, but look what Nirvana achieved with 3 years, think with what they could have done with the same tenure the Beatles. You just simply can't say they aren't even close.
                      Nirvana was an active band from 1987-1994 FYI

Comment

• Trader Joe
                        DIET COKE!
                        • Jan 2006

The Beatles wouldn't exist if Johnny Cash and Elvis didn't exist.
                        False. The Beatles emerged from England pretty much on their own, playing in clubs. They are undoubtedly the most influential music act of all time.

Comment

• Constellations
                          • Mar 2011

BTW you want to have some fun, go to wikipedia, type in beatles. What is the first page that comes up?

Go to wikipedia, type in nirvana, what is this first page that comes up?
                          That was just a stupid statement. Childish.

You're just not reading anything were discussing are you?

Go away.
                          Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
                            • Mar 2011

Nirvana was an active band from 1987-1994 FYI
                            Active, yes. Nirvana and the Beatles both didn't reach success until 3 years into their tenure. And believe me, I know.
                            Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Trader Joe
                              DIET COKE!
                              • Jan 2006

The Beatles were active for 10 total years, Nirvana was active for 7, you're telling me if Nirvana got 3 more years they would be considered more influential than the Beatles?

Comment

• Constellations
                                • Mar 2011

The Beatles were active for 10 total years, Nirvana was active for 7, you're telling me if Nirvana got 3 more years they would be considered more influential than the Beatles?
                                Not talking about influence TJ. Success. And how would you know? And why couldn't they? Nirvana's albums are still played all over radios. You don't think if they were given 3 more years, they wouldn't have a great success? Maybe not, but how do you know?
                                Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

Working...