Nirvana's place in the world of music....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Constellations
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Constellations
    Kurt was a the "John Lennon" of the early 90's. He reached out to the the troubled youth in that era.
    Originally posted by Trader Joe
    Sorry, but comparing Cobain to John Lennon is ridiculous.
    Read with more concentration instead of thinking of your next comeback Joe. Cobain reached out just as Lennon did for their genres.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold
  • graphic-er
    I'm on a MAC!
    • Jan 2010

Read with more concentration instead of thinking of your next comeback Joe. Cobain reached out just as Lennon did for their genres.
    Kurt Cobain reached out by making numerous musics videos where all he did was blank stare at the camera while strumming his guitar and acting like he was a tortured soul. And everyone ate it up, it was a ******** act, you don't go around selling millions of albums and being the most successful alternative rock/grunge band of the 90's and act like you hate every minute of it. I find it hilarious that some newly rich druggie loser who took a shot gun to his head. Is paraded about music history as some tortured soul who was taken from us all too soon.

An interesting fact finding mission. I wonder how many luxury sport cars Cobain owned or did he drive around in some beat up van while he was a millionaire.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

• Constellations
      • Mar 2011

Re: Amy Winehouse has died

Originally posted by graphic-er
      Kurt Cobain reached out by making numerous musics videos where all he did was blank stare at the camera while strumming his guitar and acting like he was a tortured soul. And everyone ate it up, it was a ******** act, you don't go around selling millions of albums and being the most successful alternative rock/grunge band of the 90's and act like you hate every minute of it. I find it hilarious that some newly rich druggie loser who took a shot gun to his head. Is paraded about music history as some tortured soul who was taken from us all too soon.

An interesting fact finding mission. I wonder how many luxury sport cars Cobain owned or did he drive around in some beat up van while he was a millionaire.
      Comments like these are exactly what I'm talking about. I don't care if you don't like him or you think he was "a ******** act". Who are you to even judge him? I love Nirvana's music. You don't. So don't come in here complaining about how much you hate his music while disrespecting others that do.

Maybe you should read up on Cobain, before you go ahead and label him as being a fake tortured soul. Oh wait you already did that. Typical.
      Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Sookie
        • Nov 2009

He killed himself.

He was obviously a bit of a tortured soul. Happy people just don't kill themselves.

Comment

• ilive4sports
          • Oct 2005

Are you ****ing serious? You really need to stop talking out of your *** so much.

Comment

• Constellations
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ilive4sports
            Are you ****ing serious? You really need to stop talking out of your *** so much.
            Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Constellations
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Stryder
              On a side-note, Dave Grohl was the star and talent of Nirvana. Cobain was just the frontman who received the fame and notoriety.

I'll refrain from making any more comments about her death until the toxicology comes back from the laboratory. At that point, I'll see if I agree with the pathologist's determination of cause of death.
              I couldn't agree more on the talent, he's the star now, but wasn't then. Kurt was more talented than your making him out to be as well.
              Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Hicks
                • Jun 2004

I really like the Foo Fighters quite a bit, so I've retroactively gotten into a little bit of Nirvana, and I'll certainly nod in agreement that Grohl is talented. I can't really comment on Kurt as I haven't studied that history. Hell, until I watched that recent Foo documentary on their history, I had no idea Pat Smear was in Nirvana (I just don't study this stuff). I've always heard Nirvana launched (in terms of it becoming a big deal nationally and beyond) a type of rock (grunge?), and having heard Smells Like Teen Spirit, I can see why.

Although I still can't understand WTF the lyrics are most of the time.

Comment

• graphic-er
                  I'm on a MAC!
                  • Jan 2010

Comments like these are exactly what I'm talking about. I don't care if you don't like him or you think he was "a ******** act". Who are you to even judge him? I love Nirvana's music. You don't. So don't come in here complaining about how much you hate his music while disrespecting others that do.

Maybe you should read up on Cobain, before you go ahead and label him as being a fake tortured soul. Oh wait you already did that. Typical.
                  He wasn't a tortured soul, he was a heavy drug user. Big difference.
                  You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

• Constellations
                    • Mar 2011

He wasn't a tortured soul, he was a heavy drug user. Big difference.
                    Therefore, you just made yourself look dumb.
                    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• tsm612
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Sookie
                      He killed himself.

He was obviously a bit of a tortured soul. Happy people just don't kill themselves.
                      And he was married to Courtney Love. If that's not torture, I don't know what is.

Comment

• Trader Joe
                        DIET COKE!
                        • Jan 2006

You called him the John Lennon of the early 90's. I don't care how you qualify that, it's not true at all. John Lennon reached out to a lot more than "troubled youth". Cobain was just a product of a societal impetus. Lennon WAS a societal impetus.

For me it's not about NIrvana's music, I like some of it just fine. But if anything Kurt Cobain was the Dave Matthews of his generation, he had a pretty good band, but he was a great front man that got people to buy into what he was selling, and now he's remembered as some musical savant and apparently capable of being compared to John Lennon whcih just isn't the case IMO, and that has nothing to do with his music or talent level.
                        Last edited by Trader Joe; 07-29-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Constellations
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Trader Joe
                          You called him the John Lennon of the early 90's. I don't care how you qualify that, it's not true at all. John Lennon reached out to a lot more than "troubled youth". Cobain was just a product of a societal impetus. Lennon WAS a societal impetus.

For me it's not about NIrvana's music, I like some of it just fine. But if anything Kurt Cobain was the Dave Matthews of his generation, he had a pretty good band, but he was a great front man that got people to buy into what he was selling, and now he's remembered as some musical savant and apparently capable of being compared to John Lennon whcih just isn't the case IMO, and that has nothing to do with his music or talent level.
                          I think your overall assessment of Cobain is from the standpoint of simply not facing the fact that he is a musical icon, the fact that he was indeed an addict is just an excuse. But who am I to judge whether or not your opinion doesn't hold any water.

John Lennon never touched drugs, but he's still remembered as an icon, as he should be. He reached out to alot more in that time, but there wasn't much else to grab on to back then.
                          Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Comment

• Trader Joe
                            DIET COKE!
                            • Jan 2006

This isn't really about Cobain's drug use either, the debate is did he impact on a John Lennon type scale, and the answer is no.

Comment

• Since86
                              • Dec 2004

John Lennon was the front man for one of, if the the greatest bands of all time. Nirvana and the Beatles aren't even comparable.

I mean, the Beatles held the top five positions on the Top 100 chart at the same freaking time. They have 20 #1 hits. They have 19 #1 albums. I can keep going and going and going and going about the accomplisments of the Beatles.

Nirvana, while a good band, isn't anywhere near them. Not in the same discussion. Not in the same universe.

It's not even close.
                              Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

Working...