X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sollozzo
    • Jan 2004

2023 Colts thread

Cleaner to separate Colts from NFL.

Richardson out rest of game with concussion after a red hot start. Damn. Hope he is ok.
  • Sollozzo
    • Jan 2004

Minshew might be one of the better backups in the NFL.

Comment

• Sollozzo
      • Jan 2004

Minshew looks like Aaron Rodgers compared to watching Matt Ryan last year.

Comment

• Sollozzo
        • Jan 2004

I know it’s the lowly Texans, so one must keep things in perspective, but I don’t ever remember this team looking this dialed in at any point last year. I know they pulled the Chiefs win out, but the offense with Ryan just always looked so uncomfortable at best, and abysmal at worst (the norm). Minshew is throwing quick hitters like Tom Brady.

Definitely helps to have a young head coach with a modern philosophy like so many of the other successful teams in recent years.

The defense was plenty good enough last year, but the decrepit offense just ruined the team.

Richardson is definitely the real deal and very good. It will all come down to staying healthy and learning how to avoid hits.

Moss is showing why the Colts didn’t cave to Taylor. Not saying he’s anywhere near as good as Taylor, but you can plug and chug RB with success if everything else is in line.
        Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-17-2023, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• Basketball Fan
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Sollozzo
          Minshew might be one of the better backups in the NFL.
          Keeping him around may end up being the best deal the Colts made. I like Richardson but he needs to actually finish an NFL game first...

Comment

• imawhat
            Bring Back David West
            • Aug 2006

I love the play calling and execution on offense. You can see an attention to detail that we haven’t seen since the Manning years.

Comment

• Bball
              Jimmy did what Jimmy did
              • Jan 2004

No stupid and unnecessary calls to go for it on 4th down today.... Although there's a good chance the 'genius' play where there was a fake out for going for it on 4th down and forcing the Texans into using a valuable timeout late in the game, was possibly going to be an actual play. So there's that...

But overall, it just seemed like a 'game'. No gimmicks... no lucky bounces or weird calls... Just a normal flowing game where the Colts played well and actually seemed to have some semblance of control over the game.

Still, it's Houston, so we can't forget that.

Moss being back was nice.

Both QB's for the Colts played well. As soon as I saw AR's second TD my thought was "concussion" because he took a hit to the head AND banged the back of his head on the turf going down. With an added somersault for good measure. But he bounced up and seemed fine, but as soon as they later said he was leaving the field that play replayed in my mind.

He's going to have to figure out how to stay on the field. Getting knocked out of two games out of two likely means opposing teams are going to be gunning for him just with a little extra zeal knowing he's had trouble staying in games.
              Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Sollozzo
                • Jan 2004

Definitely feels good to go down there and win after that stupid tie last year. I’ve never seen one game set a tone for an entire season quite like that game. It was a sign of many bad things to come.

Comment

• Sollozzo
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Basketball Fan

Keeping him around may end up being the best deal the Colts made. I like Richardson but he needs to actually finish an NFL game first...
                  The talent is definitely there with Richardson and he clearly is competitive. There’s certainly a lot to be excited about with him. But yes, like the guys on the Fox halftime show were saying, he’s gotta learn how to pick his spots and avoid unnecessary hits. I have faith in Steichen that he and the staff can address this.

Comment

• Sollozzo
                    • Jan 2004

This team has been legit entertaining so far this season.

Comment

• dal9
                      Can see thru wooden doors
                      • Dec 2007

This team has been legit entertaining so far this season.
                      ya, watched most of it, pretty good... when does a QB controversy start? (not saying minshew was awesome, but still....)

Comment

• Bball
                        Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                        • Jan 2004

Richardson has a lot of zip on his passes, yet still has touch when needed (it appears). And he's harder to prepare for. So, there's a pretty good chance this team can win with either QB, since Richardson brings some other stuff to the table with his size and speed. Of course, if they'd go on a losing streak with Richardson, whether due to rookie mistakes or what... all bets are off.
                        Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• BornIndy
                          INDIANA
                          • May 2013

Originally posted by dal9

ya, watched most of it, pretty good... when does a QB controversy start? (not saying minshew was awesome, but still....)
                          Stop it. Richardson is the future

Comment

• Sollozzo
                            • Jan 2004

Defense got some big stops, we didn’t turn the ball over, and Gay made major kicks. Simple as that.

The strategy by Taylor and his agent was always insane. Anyone who pays the slightest bit of attention to the NFL knows that teams can plug and chug running backs into success if everything else is working properly. Taylor’s strategy would have been misguided if he did it coming off a career year. To do it coming off of a down injury year was insane.

I never was as down on the team as some were. The problem is that bad quarterback play can completely depress an entire team - and it’s hard to get much worse than we had from Ryan last year. Hopefully Richardson can stay healthy, but it’s nice to know that we have maybe the best backup in the NFL in Minshew. He can make throws and he doesn’t turn the ball over. That’s what you must do in a tough road environment like Baltimore.

Great decision by the new staff to stay with Gus Bradley.

Comment

• Bball
                              Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                              • Jan 2004

Defense got some big stops, we didn’t turn the ball over, and Gay made major kicks. Simple as that.

The strategy by Taylor and his agent was always insane. Anyone who pays the slightest bit of attention to the NFL knows that teams can plug and chug running backs into success if everything else is working properly. Taylor’s strategy would have been misguided if he did it coming off a career year. To do it coming off of a down injury year was insane.

I never was as down on the team as some were. The problem is that bad quarterback play can completely depress an entire team - and it’s hard to get much worse than we had from Ryan last year. Hopefully Richardson can stay healthy, but it’s nice to know that we have maybe the best backup in the NFL in Minshew. He can make throws and he doesn’t turn the ball over. That’s what you must do in a tough road environment like Baltimore.

Great decision by the new staff to stay with Gus Bradley.
                              If Taylor has been physically ready all of this time and this was just a ploy to hold out without publicly calling it a holdout, then surely the team knows. Are they just dying to get him out there as part of this offense and season, or would they rather go to battle with the guys that have been in the trenches with them for these past 3 game... and what will ultimately be 4 games before he can potentially rejoin the team in game 5?

------

-John Wooden

Comment

Working...