Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Basketball Fan
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Doug
    Nobody makes trades to help somebody else out. But it's not a zero-sum game with a winner and a loser. Both teams want to reach something that they consider fair that gives them what they need/want. Some GMs are better negotiators for sure.

Teams are probably reluctant to trade within the division, no doubt. And it would think that in those types of trades the "are we getting better than we are giving" plays a part.

If the Bears want to trade the pick, they'll take what they think is the best offer for them.

Well yes I agree in general but where the Colts are concerned I just don't see what we could offer them in return?

Comment

• Bball
      Jimmy did what Jimmy did
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Basketball Fan

Well yes I agree in general but where the Colts are concerned I just don't see what we could offer them in return?
      J. Taylor.... Shaq Leonard... Would Chicago have interest?
      Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Doug
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Basketball Fan

I think some of the appear would be getting the #4 back and still being able to pick (presumably) one of the top two defensive players. We'd have to add other picks, too, of course. I'm not sure you'd have to add a Taylor or a Leonard to that package to make the deal work. But I'm definitely not a GM nor deep on what the bears need.

I have no idea what I'd do if I was Ballard. Other than pick a QB. I'm not feeling the top ones are worth trading a lot for. If they feel the same way they might just stay at 4 and see what they get. Particularly if they think Levis makes it more of a top 3 than top 2.

I'd be interested in Carr if we hadn't just gone through so many years of revolving quarterback scrap heap acquisitions. I don't think I can stomach another one.
        You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
        All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• Basketball Fan
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Bball

J. Taylor.... Shaq Leonard... Would Chicago have interest?
          Taylor sure doubt Leonard would be of interest to them.

Comment

• Hoop
            PG who Points
            • Jan 2004

I hope the Colts don't give up assets to trade up. The top QB's are so close. not worth it, there's no Manning's or Luck's in this draft. I'd stay at 4 and probably take the guy from KY, looking at the mock drafts.
            "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG" - Carol "The Walking Dead"

Comment

• dal9
              Can see thru wooden doors
              • Dec 2007

what about getting washed azz Aaron Rogers

Comment

• Doug
                • Jan 2004

Hoop, I'm with you. Hold tight at 4. Nobody worth giving up the farm for. If all 3 QBs go, then take the stud edge rusher or DL and look for another in the 2nd or 3rd. Or just declare Sam the starter and give him a full camp. Nobody will really like that AT all, and I certainly don't see that as the answer any more than bringing in a vet with too much mileage. It would be one heck of a surprise. But they do have to have a contingency if they sit tight at 4 and that might be Sam.

The coaching search is interesting. I don't have a problem with Saturday being given a fair shot at it, even with a 2nd round interview. He earned that by stepping into a really bad situation. But I definitely like others we've talked to better. And I really hope we get Ryans back in the interview process after he had to cancel.

You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
                All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• Bball
                  Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                  • Jan 2004

I'm of the mind that I'd be very curious to see what it is about Jeff Saturday that would make him a coaching frontrunner (if he really is). I'd also like to say I think it's crazy Saturday should be anywhere on the list... He should only rank an interview out of courtesy due to the mistake of hiring him as the interim coach in the first place.

Part of me wants to say the Colts aren't in any position to play games like this with something as important as head coach. The other part of me thinks... "Yes they are- The Manning to Luck debacle has finally reached its conclusion (read: bottom) and the Colts are a bottom feeding team and not one player or coach away from a turnaround."
                  If they want to waste a couple of years on a gamble like Saturday, figuring it's low risk and high reward at this point... while stocking up draft picks... maybe that is for the best. And save the REAL coaching hire for when there's actually a team that needs a solid sideline gameplan and management.

And if it turns out Saturday CAN learn to coach, even better.

But truthfully, there HAS to be better candidates than Jeff Saturday. I suppose if we ignore Saturday's interim debacle, then the slate is clean for him and the ceiling unknown. But I'm not sure anyone should really ignore that nor his lack of credentials as a coach in the NFL.

Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Sollozzo
                    • Jan 2004

If Saturday would have had us float around .500......or if we would have shown improvement SOMEWHERE.....then I'd be for giving him a serious interview. But his interim tenure was about as bad as it could possibly be (aside from the high pick which is certainly nice).

If Saturday had made the uncomfortable (but correct) decision of benching Ryan for Ehlinger after Philly...or after Pitt....or after Dallas....then I'd be a little more open to giving him a more serious look (though in no world would he be a front runner). The Philly game was obviously completely winnable. The offense of course totally blew it. THAT was the moment that any prayer at the playoffs died. That was the moment where Ryan should have been completely done for the year.

Comment

• Bball
                      Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                      • Jan 2004

I'm hoping all of this "Jeff Saturday is a legitimate contender for the HCing gig, and the likely frontrunner" talk is a smokescreen to not disparage Saturday... A sort of 'Nah.... the terrible job he did this year wasn't his fault and not a huge mistake on us to even hire him! It was the circumstance... we're still really serious about hiring him!"

"Sir, Jeff Saturday is on the line..."
                      "Tell him I'm not here!! I can't wait until we hire someone and can end this charade with Jeff and the media that we'd actually consider him after this past season!"

------

-John Wooden

Comment

• boombuckets
                        • Jul 2022

levis looks like he will be there at 4. none of these qbs are a lock, im wondering if staying put is the best route to take.

Comment

Working...