X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clownskull
    replied
    Originally posted by Bball
    Here's speculative question...
    Irsay isn't getting any younger. He's never had a problem making moves and doing what his people told him needed to be done, including writing the checks. But, with the absolute mess that has transpired since moving on from Manning, then Luck and the saga of the star Quitterback, and now all of this and the team just (allegedly) needing a QB to made deep playoff runs instead is one of the worst teams in football... Does Irsay now become way more hands on in shaping the team and moves?

And if so, is that good or bad?

The team was ridiculed for hiring Jeff Saturday. And, after a fleeing bit of looking like somebody knew something everyone else didn't, the naysayers can now say "We told you that was a clown show move". It's hard to argue they weren't right all along. Either this team was more of a mess than anyone realized and nobody could've fixed it, or else Jeff Saturday just brought more of a mess to an already dysfunctional mess. Blowouts...
    "Fix" doesn't necessarily HAVE to mean stringing wins together. But would quicker starts, closer scorers, a bit of offense, and some sustained drives been too much to ask? Something to build upon.
    Heck, Reich doesn't seem so bad in retrospect to what Saturday ultimately achieved.

What a total mess.

No idea where they need to go from here. Worse, I have no idea HOW they can begin to fix this or where to start.
    i get the feeling the team needs more than just qb. i think our receivers are average on a good day. and the o-line... meh, it sucks too.
    we have THE most anemic offense in the league. some of it definitely has to do with the qb situation but, i think there's more than that
    .;/

Leave a comment:

• Bball
    replied
    Would things have remained this bad if Reich remained the coach? Was Reich already at his bottom and Saturday (or the circumstances of Saturday) brought us to an entirely new bottom? Was firing Reich the wrong move, or was hiring Saturday the wrong move? Would John Fox or Gus Bradley have been the wise move to make?
    Would SOMEONE with head coaching experience been the right move AND allowing Saturday some title like assistant head coach and given more of an overseer role on the sidelines been the better way to move forward? Feeling out players and abilities and helping O-line to simplify that part of the game for everyone...

More importantly, was there anyone or anything that could've been done to salvage this season at any point?

Right now it doesn't even appear the Colts rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic. The ship might've still went to the bottom of the ocean, but maybe the furniture would've looked better. Or it would've made no difference. It seems the Colts managed to make themselves worse. Nothing really looks better now, and they look far worse than they did.

I think we have a situation where there are so many questions it's going to be hard to know where to begin.

Has Ballard been TOO focused on the trenches? Of course when you have a QB that is upper echelon, he can generally make receivers better. But it's pretty hard when you can't stretch the field to do anything. Nor aren't actually a threat inside the red zone either. And beyond that, Reich's penchant for going for it meant teams could REALLY get a battle win against the Colts when the Colts refused to settle for 3. Nor play field position and try and give the defense more to work with.
    Weak arms and low velocity passes aren't going to help. Taking more dinks and dunks is fine... but eventually, you have to stretch the field to keep the defense honest. And if you don't keep the defense honest, they can make your QB and O-line pay.

Leave a comment:

• Sollozzo
    replied
    I read that the Colts have been outscored 97-9 in the Fourth Quarter since Saturday took over.

6 of those 4th quarter points were against the Raiders. 3 more were the following week against the Eagles.

In the 5 games since Philly, (Steelers, Cowboys, Vikings, Chargers, Giants), the Colts have literally scored ZERO 4th quarter points. ZERO 4th quarter points in 5 games!

That's one of the most horrifying sports stats that I've ever seen. How is something like that even possible? I would have thought it would have been next to impossible to accomplish something like that. These guys are still NFL players. How do they not even score by accident? It's surreal.

Leave a comment:

• Bball
    replied
    Here's speculative question...
    Irsay isn't getting any younger. He's never had a problem making moves and doing what his people told him needed to be done, including writing the checks. But, with the absolute mess that has transpired since moving on from Manning, then Luck and the saga of the star Quitterback, and now all of this and the team just (allegedly) needing a QB to made deep playoff runs instead is one of the worst teams in football... Does Irsay now become way more hands on in shaping the team and moves?

And if so, is that good or bad?

The team was ridiculed for hiring Jeff Saturday. And, after a fleeing bit of looking like somebody knew something everyone else didn't, the naysayers can now say "We told you that was a clown show move". It's hard to argue they weren't right all along. Either this team was more of a mess than anyone realized and nobody could've fixed it, or else Jeff Saturday just brought more of a mess to an already dysfunctional mess. Blowouts...
    "Fix" doesn't necessarily HAVE to mean stringing wins together. But would quicker starts, closer scorers, a bit of offense, and some sustained drives been too much to ask? Something to build upon.
    Heck, Reich doesn't seem so bad in retrospect to what Saturday ultimately achieved.

What a total mess.

No idea where they need to go from here. Worse, I have no idea HOW they can begin to fix this or where to start.

Leave a comment:

• Sollozzo
    replied
    Colts-Texans next week has to be one of the worst final games in recent years in terms of total combined record, right?

That's what makes this season such a spectacular failure. The record alone is downright hideous, but when you add in the context that we couldn't even compete in a division where the leading team is currently 8-8...........just an epic failure for the Colts.

Sad to see where we are. It wasn't too long ago where Colts games had plenty of discussion in this thread. But now they aren't even worth a single post during the game. This franchise needs some deep soul searching from top to bottom.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-02-2023, 02:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bball
    replied
    It's pretty clear that the NFL has told refs to let defenders get "handsy" on receivers, which might be impacting some QBs/Receivers and/or the overall game.

Leave a comment:

• dal9
    replied
    looking at box scores, there's a lot of terrible QBs out there...they may need to change the rules to help offense again or something

Leave a comment:

• Basketball Fan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sollozzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoop
    What about Carr from the Raiders? I think he's pretty good. Read he could be had cheap. I know it would be another season of just trying to get a QB from another team, but at least he's not old and done.
    I don’t see how he could possibly be any better than Wentz here, and even Wentz managed 9-8 which seems like a high bar for retread Qb’s with the Colts at the moment.

I’m hindsight, the 11-5 Rivers year was the worst thing that could happen to us because it made us think we could just plug and chug QB’s for a good record. Ultimately, all it did was delay us drafting a QB by a couple years. We just gotta find a rookie and live with the growing pains.

Leave a comment:

• Bball
    replied
    What about Carr from the Raiders? I think he's pretty good. Read he could be had cheap. I know it would be another season of just trying to get a QB from another team, but at least he's not old and done.
    I don't think there's any level of hype that could get me excited about seeing the Colts trot out another team's "let go" QB, in hopes of finally plugging the QB hole. Brissett, Wentz, Ryan... And while Rivers doesn't deserve to be in that list as categorized by it not working, he does go there because it was a one year rental. So it doesn't much matter that the Colts had a good season with him. At least in the big picture, because it really led to nothing as far as stability or growth.

Leave a comment:

• Banta
    replied
    Tank next year and get Drake Maye.

Leave a comment:

• Hoop
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Banta
    replied
    If they aren’t in position to draft a QB, I’d like to see them get Minshew. He was my pick over Ryan in the off-season. Minshew is a baller and a starter in this league.

Leave a comment:

• Bball
    replied
    Originally posted by Sollozzo

MNF can’t be flexed.
    That's something the NFL might want to reconsider...

Leave a comment:

• Sollozzo
    replied
    Originally posted by BornIndy
    Why didn't they flex the Colts off of primetime? NFL just wants to see them embarrass themselves?
    MNF can’t be flexed.

Leave a comment:

Working...