Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • owl
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Bball
    “Yeah, not a fun loss. I talked to everyone after the game and said, ‘Hey, we’ve got to have a killer instinct at the end of the day. And that goes for me and goes for all of us. We’ve got to be able to finish games and put teams away when we’ve got them on the ropes like that,'” Wentz said Monday night following the game. “And, man, that’s a good football team and a hostile environment for us to come out swinging the way we did. We just can’t let up, we can’t let up, and we’ve got to finish the game.”
    Wentz comments are revealing in regards to how bad the pass defense is. And no pass rush at all in the second half. The Colts could be saying good bye to the 1st pick in the draft
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Comment

• clownskull
      • May 2004

i'm glad i totally forgot they were even playing yesterday.

Comment

• vapacersfan
        • Apr 2006

I fell asleep when it was 22-3

WTF happened

Comment

• PacerDude
          It's just my opinion.
          • May 2009

^^ The Colts realized that they are not a good team and shouldn't be beating a good team on the road.

Case closed.

Comment

• Bball
            Jimmy did what Jimmy did
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vapacersfan
            I fell asleep when it was 22-3

WTF happened
            The 2021 Indianapolis Colts happened.

They found a way to pull defeat from the jaws of victory.
            Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Bball
              Jimmy did what Jimmy did
              • Jan 2004

You could see the recipe for this brewing. From the strange sequence that had Blankenship on the sidelines for the Colts' first FG attempt and miss... to the penalty that gave the Colts another crack at it and this time Blankenship came on the field.
              Then the missed extra point.
              Then Reich being Reich and going for 2 (which IMO was him chasing points and trying to make up for the missed PAT more than anything else). Not getting that, which was anyone thinking they would... opened a bigger door.
              The blocked FG.
              And of course... the chance to all but seal the win with a FG after the Colts didn't even try on 3rd down... was going to be a miss.
              And then the Colts got shredded like Mozzarella cheese in the 4th.

As good as the Colts SEEMED to look early, especially on offense... hid the fact that scoring from the red zone was still more of an adventure than an expectation. Wentz not feeling the pressure and getting stripped/sacked early with the Colts in scoring position was probably the first sign that the game was setting up something for the end.

I'm not even sure what to say about the lateral that allegedly wasn't a lateral...
              Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Trader Joe
                DIET COKE!
                • Jan 2006

Reich is just a straight up bad head coach.

Wentz has been plenty good to win football games is the completely honest truth. The defense doesn't get it done, injuries are an issue but at this poitn in the NFL who is actually ever healthy? The defense wants to act like a top 5 unit and they simply don't deliver on that.

Comment

• Eleazar
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Trader Joe
                  injuries are an issue but at this poitn in the NFL who is actually ever healthy?
                  Pretty much most teams. I don't see too many teams trotting out practice squad DBs very often.

Comment

• Sollozzo
                    • Jan 2004

It seems like Reich is best suited to be an offensive coordinator. He had success with Wentz and Foles in Philly. Then he came here and has had some nice offensive successes with four different quarterbacks in four seasons: there was the Luck resurgence in 2018 before the bizarre decision to quit. After that, we were actually able to get some wins with Brissett even though he was the epitome of a “play not to lose” QB who is afraid to take risks. There was then the success with Rivers last year.

That brings us to this year, and as Joe said, Wentz looks good. I loved the play calling with Wentz last night. Lots of exciting and successful passes. I see why Reich wanted Wentz.

There is little doubt that Reich knows how to play to a QB’s strength and get points on the board. The problem is that being a head coach encompasses more than just that, and it’s the other areas where Reich is highly questionable. His in-game decision making can be downright awful. When I was younger playing Madden, I always wondered why real life coaches didn’t go for it on 4th down more or attempt more 2 pt conversions. Well Reich has shown everyone why coaches aren’t reckless with it in real life. The awful decision to go for 2 last night, the questionable 3rd and 8 call late, the lack of taking an OT timeout until it was too late (as if you can take them to the grave)....terrible in game coaching.

Plus there was the defensive collapse - even if he’s not controlling it as directly as the offense, he still has to take some accountability. It’s definitely on him that we didn’t take a timeout when that OT drive was getting out of hand. He should have also done something to adjust to that hideous “prevent” scheme.

We’ve had a brutal schedule, but you are what your record says you are, and 1-4 is certainly abysmal. Winning last night would have just been a massive boost for this team. Not sure if they will recover from throwing that one away.
                    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-12-2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Bball
                      Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                      • Jan 2004

When you have a HC who is also the OC (because that's where his reputation was built), it seems many times to ultimately present a problem... The "OC" part starts to worry too much about the "HC" part of the job. The second guessing begins.

And then you have someone like Reich who, IMHO, is stupid about when to gamble and when not to. WAY too reckless with it.

Of course, that 4th qtr D and OT D was nothing short of abysmal. And they weren't even given the benefit of a TO to get their breath, change the lineups, or just talk through some things before it was too late.

------

-John Wooden

Comment

• Basketball Fan
                        • Mar 2008

Well that was a brutal loss but considering Gruden Gate happened in the middle of it the Colts were overshadowed otherwise they would've gone on about how we blew this game(which we did).

I think Wentz is the least of our problems which is a strange thing to say considering how many were skeptical about him coming here.

I also do think someone else besides Frank needs to call the plays...

However I guess this was bound to happen all those unlikely wins with Manning through the years would end up having us on the receiving end(oddly enough having this happen during Gruden gate where we had that MNF miracle in Tampa is a life is a circle moment).

Comment

• dal9
                          Can see thru wooden doors
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Eleazar

Pretty much most teams. I don't see too many teams trotting out practice squad DBs very often.
                          ya. as wack as the zone d was, u couldnt run man with those guys, realistically

Comment

• Sollozzo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bball
                            When you have a HC who is also the OC (because that's where his reputation was built), it seems many times to ultimately present a problem... The "OC" part starts to worry too much about the "HC" part of the job. The second guessing begins.

And then you have someone like Reich who, IMHO, is stupid about when to gamble and when not to. WAY too reckless with it.

Of course, that 4th qtr D and OT D was nothing short of abysmal. And they weren't even given the benefit of a TO to get their breath, change the lineups, or just talk through some things before it was too late.
                            Some of Reich’s decisions are like a kid playing Madden. Monday’s loss brought flashbacks of the terrible decision to go for it on 4th down near the goal line at the end of the first half in the Bills playoff game instead of taking the chip shot FG. Of course we whiffed on that and it turned the tide of the game.

Comment

• BornIndy
                              INDIANA
                              • May 2013

Anyone else wonder why there was some no-name safety in for that long touchdown by Hollywood Brown? Where was Julian Blackmon?

Comment

• Trader Joe
                                DIET COKE!
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Eleazar

Every team has massive injury issues. The Ravens even have them. They've gone through like 8 running backs this season.

Comment

Working...