Off season poll of reflection: What place does PD play in your life?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peck
    Administrator
    • Jan 2004

Re: Off season poll of reflection: What place does PD play in your life?

I've spent so many hours on PD and been so wrapped up in some of the inner workings that my real life & Pacers Digest interweave. My only true social events in a year is our Pacers Digest gatherings we have.

It is the homepage for every computer I own, only when I have been out of the country on a ship and didn't have internet service have I ever gone more than 1 day without checking in, hell usually I check in several times an hour.

It's funny because I say Pacers Digest but I really consider this a continuation of the family from way back in the day of the Indiana Game board on the starnews website. There are some people on here I have been posting with now (Skaut Ech for one) for 19 years. I would look at my overall experience as vastly positive as it has given me an outlet to talk about a subject I truly love (Pacers) and have met and made wonderful friends.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

• McKeyFan
      Intuition over Integers
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Peck
      I've spent so many hours on PD and been so wrapped up in some of the inner workings that my real life & Pacers Digest interweave. My only true social events in a year is our Pacers Digest gatherings we have.

It is the homepage for every computer I own, only when I have been out of the country on a ship and didn't have internet service have I ever gone more than 1 day without checking in, hell usually I check in several times an hour.

It's funny because I say Pacers Digest but I really consider this a continuation of the family from way back in the day of the Indiana Game board on the starnews website. There are some people on here I have been posting with now (Skaut Ech for one) for 19 years. I would look at my overall experience as vastly positive as it has given me an outlet to talk about a subject I truly love (Pacers) and have met and made wonderful friends.
      I got on the Starnews board the year Al Harrington was drafted, whenever that was.
      "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• CableKC
        • Mar 2005

Where is the "Second only to Family and Work" option?
        Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

• Kstat
          Rebound King
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by CableKC
          Where is the "Second only to Family and Work" option?
          ...and this is the quandary I anticipated when I made my original post.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
          Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
          NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Comment

• Heisenberg
            u bum
            • Jun 2010

if I ever have a child it will be named Pacers Digest

Comment

• Peck
              Administrator
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by McKeyFan
              I got on the Starnews board the year Al Harrington was drafted, whenever that was.
              Summer of 98, so we've been posting together for 15 years

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

• Kstat
                Rebound King
                • Jan 2004

I'll never forget him blowing that easy tip in against the Knicks....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
                Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
                NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Comment

• idioteque
                  hopeful
                  • May 2006

Work is ahead of PD/the NBA for me, but of course not by choice.

Comment

• Peck
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2004

It's funny because I see by looking at his account that Kstat is 31, I can remember him from 20 (or close to it). Hell Hicks was a teenager and Shade wasn't anorexic. My God I'm old

Comment

• BlueNGold
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2005

If you are posting on this site during the summer, it might be a bigger part of your life than you think. With that said, it is less important than my selection but that was the best option. I have a number of interests that exceed PD yet I've posted here so many times I should be questioning that.

Comment

• smj887
                        • Jan 2009

I rarely post here but PD is one of my most visited sites. I check it compulsively just to see what news or discussion has sprung up. Honestly, I can't believe that I've been visiting here as long as I have. It sure doesn't feel like it.

Comment

• gummy
                          I don't even know anymore
                          • Aug 2006

None of those options really fit, so I didn't vote.

I visit PD pretty much everyday. I am perpetually logged in and PD is one of the first three pinned tabs in my browser (the others being my work email and Facebook, which I use for work and personally). If we factor in days missed due to illness, travel and so on, I'd estimate that since 2004 when I first started lurking, I've checked PD 5 of every 7 days. There are many days when I only have time to read and dole out thanks, which is why my comment count is so low relative to my official time here - but PD is definitely a part of my daily ritual. Turn on computer. Read email. Peek at Facebook. Check out PD.

I am looking forward to attending games and eventually a PD gathering when I finally move to Indy at the end of this year (anyone ever have life conspire to keep you in a place you want to leave for the past 5 years or so? aaaaaargh).
                          Last edited by gummy; 08-07-2013, 10:09 PM.
                          "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Comment

• CableKC
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kstat
                            ...and this is the quandary I anticipated when I made my original post.
                            I'm just kidding.....I know what you meant by it...when I voted....I pretty much substituted "faith" for "work".

Comment

• Pacerized
                              • Apr 2004

It's my most visited website and takes more of my time then I want to admit but when I look at my post count after more then 9 years it pales by comparison to many.
                              Why do teams tank? Ask a Spurs fan.

Comment

• CableKC
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pacerized
                                It's my most visited website and takes more of my time then I want to admit but when I look at my post count after more then 9 years it pales by comparison to many.
                                Yeah....no kidding....Let's just say that my wife says that I spend way more time on this website than I should.

Comment

Working...