Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

Originally posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I can't stand when ANYONE is compared to God, its blasphemous in my humble opinoin

No onje here is infatuated with Lance, and I am one of his biggest , if not the biggest supporter,

What we are most proud of is Lance Stephenson grew up , took responsibility , and beat the odds that a lot of us (and secretly myself as well) thought he wouldnt

He is not Stephen Jackson/Jammal Tinsley

He is a young kid who had his ego crushed when he realized unlinke high school , he would not come into the NBA and dominate on shear athleticism and fancy passes

Im proud of the strides he has made and the continuing strides I think he will make

He is a good player, on our Pacer team and I cheer for him
    I didnt know where to post this so I will post it here. I read this story on Telfair a few weeks ago and it really realtes to Lance. They went to the same school and were hyped the same way. If Lance was allowed to come out of HS he would of likley been drafted in a simlar place to Telfair

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...f=twitter_feed

BOSTON -- Sebastian Telfair was a bigger star in high school than he is today. And yet he is a better player now than he ever was back then. The paradox makes sense to him at last.
    He is 27 years old and coming off the bench for the Raptors, his seventh team in nine NBA seasons. His point of view today is both surprising and encouraging. Telfair, the sensational AAU point guard from Brooklyn, N.Y., had been the subject of a documentary, a book and a Sports Illustrated cover story while he was in high school. He signed a sneaker contract with Adidas, which he now says was worth about $10 million over five years, before he was picked No. 13 in the 2004 draft by Portland. As he looks back now, it was the shoe money that made him feel as if he'd made it -- long before he knew the first thing about actually making it.
    "If I could change one thing, I would take that sneaker deal back," says Telfair, a cousin of Stephon Marbury's. "It put you in some kind of comfort."
    On Wednesday, Telfair was back in Boston, where he played in 2006-07. He had been traded after two seasons with the Trail Blazers, who had wanted him to be their franchise leader before dealing him to Boston for the first-round pick that would become Brandon Roy. It was the season before the Celtics won the championship, though at that time the imminent trades for Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett were impossible to predict. The young Celtics lost 18 games in a row and appeared -- as Telfair saw it, at least -- to be focused on landing Kevin Durant or Greg Oden in the upcoming draft.
    "They were trying to get that pick," Telfair says. "I was just playing basketball. I wasn't thinking about another contract, I wasn't thinking about any of that stuff. And I think I should have been, as far as the game being a business."
    If he had been focused on the business of the game, then his career might have followed a different path.
    "Certain mistakes I made, I wouldn't have made because I would have been thinking about ruining the goals I would have set for myself -- such as getting another contract, being a starter, becoming an All-Star, all that kind of stuff," Telfair says. "Some of the other guys were thinking that way."
    The other young Celtics included Al Jefferson and Tony Allen. Telfair was competing at point guard against rookie Rajon Rondo and Delonte West, who was in his third year.
    "I had my Adidas deal, which kind of put me out of the box of the young guys," he says of Rondo and West. "What I have is what they're trying to get.
    "Boston was a tough year for me. That year I was just all over the place. I'm running around, trying to get my mom a house. I'm in the streets doing too much, rather than just sitting back, just trying to take it in. That's what I do now. I just take it in, understand what I got going good for myself, cherish it, versus worrying about what you don't have or things like that.
    "I can't even recall what a 19-year-old does. I was playing on the edge a little bit as far as running around on the streets. I just know at that time I should have been thinking different than what I was."
    In 2006, the Blazers fined Telfair after he left a loaded gun on the team's plane. One year later, at the end of his season with the Celtics, he was arrested on a gun possession charge in the early morning after he was pulled over for speeding on a suspended license. Wyc Grousbeck, the Celtics' managing partner, removed Telfair's nameplate from his locker and all but promised that the team would cut ties with him. Telfair admits that he couldn't begin to understand the mistake he had made.
    "I was stupid," he says. "I was thinking, I'm not trying to hurt nobody, I'm not going to kill nobody, rob no bank ... you don't understand what you're doing wrong, and as a basketball player, certain things are just not accepted. Certain things society is not going to accept from a basketball player. So if you can't take that, you can't be a pro. I really haven't had any trouble with the law, and then I got in that situation. And it put me in a bad situation. It took a lot for me to dig myself out of that."
    Why did he have the gun?
    "For no particular reason or particular situation," he says. "Just having it, being dumb. ... If I was thinking about, I want to make sure I'm getting a contract and be an All-Star, [then] for no reason would I have a weapon, at no point in time."
    Did the arrest have a meaningful impact on his life?
    "I learned a lot from it, but I could have done without it," he says. "I didn't get much out of that, other than playing for a lot less money than I should have, and ending up not getting in better situations as far as teams that would want you.
    "It follows me around. I kind of ruined my career with that. It was a bad move all around. But I don't beat myself up about it too much. If I was beating myself up about it too much, I wouldn't be sitting here right now."
    At the same time, the alternative universe is impossible to ignore.
    "I look at situations like that," Telfair says as he thinks about not having the gun, and not behaving as if he'd achieved success already. "And maybe it's Rondo that goes in that trade instead of me. And I would have had a chance to play with Paul [Pierce], Ray Allen, and KG. I look at situations like that also."
    Three months after the arrest, he was traded to Minnesota in the package that brought Garnett to the Celtics. From there, Telfair was moved to the Clippers, then on to the Cavaliers and back to Minnesota. It was as if he was running in place. All the while he watched Rondo win a championship with the Celtics and then lead them to another NBA Finals, becoming an All-Star and establishing himself as one of the best young players in the league. Rondo became everything Telfair was supposed to be.

Sebastian Telfair credits Doc Rivers with putting him on the right track.
    Damian Strohmeyer/SI

"You have to have trust with the guys on your team and they have to know that you're being professional," he says. "They know you're a guy that, off the court, is not taking care of himself. They're looking at you like that. You have to carry yourself the right way off the court. I wasn't doing that, and having all the young guys and we're all trying to make it, they're letting another guy hang himself while they aren't saying anything. Especially because I had that Adidas money. That's how they were looking at it, [like] I already had the car they wanted."
    It is startling to hear Telfair acknowledge his "personal failures," as he refers to them, in a way that reverses the stereotype of the AAU star who thinks he has all the answers before he has heard the questions. He has averaged a scant 13.2 minutes in five games since being traded to the Raptors at the deadline last month, but Telfair hopes to re-sign with them as a free agent this summer, regardless of whether he would start or come off the bench. He wants to be part of a young, rising team that can put him in the playoffs for the first time. He wants to be part of something bigger than himself.
    "He's been super with us," Toronto coach Dwane Casey says. "He knows his niche in the NBA is probably going to be as a big-time backup. He sees the floor and knows the game, and a big-time quality he has is on the defensive end. He really defends, he's got toughness, he's a pro's pro. He's been everything we look for in that backup position."
    Telfair laughs when complimented for his defense. "That definitely wasn't part of my rep," he says, and he wonders how his career might have played out if he could have been introduced to a winning team of experienced players at the beginning of his career. Instead, he went to Portland, which hoped to rebuild around his potential.
    "When you're on a veteran team, it's not about you," he says. "It's about being a good teammate, winning games. When you're on a young team, you tend to lose games, so you tend to be a little more selfish and try to get what's yours, and the pressure is just different."
    He lost his swagger while playing off the end of the bench in his rookie year.
    "It changed my mindset a little bit, versus coming in and playing with confidence and having a little edge to yourself, being a little cocky, which is what you have to be in this league if you want to be competitive at a high level," Telfair says. "People were saying, Oh, maybe he's not as good as we said, and all that kind of stuff. That plays a role in how you think, the mental part of the game."
    Back then, he was unable to realize how much he didn't know.
    "I had to learn the game," he says. "When I started, I didn't know how to play the game, meaning coming from New York and Lincoln High School. They really don't teach you how to play basketball, especially in a public school. When I got to Portland, I was playing with Zach Randolph. It was a big man's league and I didn't understand how to play with those guys, as far as getting those guys the ball, and that other guys can do what you can do. I'm from New York where point guards -- we dominate the game, and I [thought I] was the only one who could do that. It took me some years to understand."
    Now that he has adapted by learning how to complement the big men -- "He's an old-school point guard," Casey says -- the league has shifted its priorities. "It's a point guard league now," says Telfair, laughing. "It switched over."
    Throughout his career it has been as if he was playing off the wrong foot -- too young to be the star he was supposed to be. At 6 feet, he needed to become a better shooter, and over these last three seasons he has converted a respectable 34.3 percent of his three-pointers.
    "I wanted to get a simple situation where I'm a part of a team, I'm helping them win every night," he says. "I just wanted to be part of a team that achieves something."
    That's why he signed with the Suns to be Steve Nash's backup for $1.5 million last season.
    "Getting an opportunity to be around him, seeing how he prepares for the games, seeing how serious you have to take it -- I think last year for the first time I was being consistent on how I prepare for the games," Telfair says. "My approach changed last season. Last year was my first time in the NBA when I wasn't on a rebuilding team or a young team."
    Telfair was ejected in the third quarter Wednesday after earning two technicals in the Raptors' 112-88 loss to his former team.
    "It's hard to win in this league," he says. "I've taken a lot of losses; I'm not accustomed to losing. I still get mad when we lose. My main thing right now, I just want to play for the gold."
    He was referring to the medal as opposed to the money. Telfair clings to advice he took from Boston coach Doc Rivers.
    "One of the reasons why I'm still in this league today is that he said, 'Don't make excuses. Stop making excuses,' " Telfair says. "I did stop making excuses for myself, and I continued working."
    Rivers remembers the conversation. "I was on him hard," he says. "I told him he's too talented to make excuses. Just own up to everything and play. I told him he should have a long, long career. He may not be a star, but you can have a long career in this league, and it's good to see that he's doing it."
    Rivers was reminded of Telfair's rival when they were the top national stars in high school.
    "You think about Sebastian and -- what's the guy's name? -- Darius Washington [Jr.]," Rivers says. "When they were seniors in high school, they were celebrated like superstars. I think that's hard for kids. And then you go to be pros, and you're looking at yourself as you want to be a superstar. And what you're probably going to be is a role player. But it's hard for you to buy into -- everybody's telling you you're a role player. So I think it takes years for that."
    Washington turned pro after two college years at Memphis. He went undrafted in 2006 and has spent his career in Europe.
    Telfair hasn't given up on becoming a star. Chauncey Billups languished for years.
    "Chris Paul is one of my favorite players," he says. "I like his feistiness, and I would say he's at the top of the point guard list. There's nothing that he can do that I can't do."
    The dream hasn't ended, even as the false promises have been killed off. From this point forth, Telfair is going to earn everything he receives. It's more inspiring this way.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...#ixzz2O7PZeCTn
    It is a good read I recommend it. Also the trade where he went to Boston was thief of epic proportions by Kevin Prichtard

Comment

Re: Lance Stephenson is over-rated on these boards

Originally posted by Trader Joe View Post
      When the offense is clicking Lance gets a **** ton of "hockey assists" he is not always the guy making the final pass, but he often makes the pass that leads to the final pass. This happens a lot in his Forrest Gump Fastbreaks.
      This is something he has significantly improved upon. He didn't understand the concept of "keeping the ball moving" and "hockey assist." When he first entered the league.

Comment

Working...
      X