Hansbrough showing he's ready for whatever awaits(Conrad Brunner)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vnzla81
    • Jul 2008

Hansbrough showing he's ready for whatever awaits(Conrad Brunner)

I am going to say it again, Tyler should be the starter, his defense and hustle is needed with Roy as the starting Center.

Hansbrough showing he's ready for whatever awaits

Dec. 21, 2011 -- Starting is not in the cards for Tyler Hansbrough. As you might expect, that hasn't stopped him from going all-in every time he steps on the court.

The brightest spot in the Pacers' two preseason losses to Chicago, Hansbrough led the team in minutes, scoring and rebounding in both games, averaging 21.5 points and 12.0 boards. Starting at power forward while David West gets acclimated to the team and regains his game legs, Hansbrough knows his days in the lineup are numbered.

Once West is fully ready to go, Hansbrough will head to the bench. Make that the second unit. Hansbrough has little intention of sitting, regardless of role.

"I don't plan on sitting on the bench," he said. "I think I have a lot to contribute to this team. I'm going to come out here and prove myself and hopefully we'll see what happens."

What may evolve is the pairing of West and Hansbrough with some frequency, especially when matched up against the increasing number of teams that lack a traditional center. With Roy Hibbert struggling in Chicago Tuesday night, the two power forwards combined for 10 points in a 14-6 burst that cut an 18-point deficit to 76-66 late in the third period.

Hansbrough finished that game with 24 points and 13 rebounds. West, making his first preseason appearance off the bench, played 15 minutes and had eight points and four rebounds.

"I expect to come in here and play with David," Hansbrough said. "I think he's a good player to learn a lot from. He's been in the league a long time. He's a great addition to the team. Obviously, what he brings to the court is going to help us and makes our team that much deeper. Hopefully it will pay off and we'll get into the playoffs and make a better run."

Though this is Hansbrough's third NBA season and he entered the league as a four-year college standout at North Carolina, he is far from a finished product. Injuries and health issues sidetracked his ability to prepare for each of the past two seasons.

Once he found his rhythm in 2009-10, he began to emerge as a consistently productive force, starting the final 19 games and all five against the Bulls in the first round of the playoffs. In the 16 games when he played at least 30 minutes, Hansbrough averaged 19.7 points and 7.9 rebounds and shot .506 from the field.

"This offseason has been particularly important to me because it's my first healthy offseason," Hansbrough said. "I've actually had time to train and prepare like I want to. I really worked on my left hand and my ability to make post moves and kind of expanded my range a little bit. I'm excited about it.

"People say if you're a four-year guy you are what you are but the NBA is much different than college. There's so much of a learning curve. The game's different, it's played a lot different. There's things you have to learn and pick up on to really get a grasp and a feel for the NBA."

Since West was signed, Coach Frank Vogel has maintained Hansbrough's role may change but his prominence within the rotation will not. In fact, he could be even more of an offensive focal point with the second unit, which needs scoring punch from the frontcourt. The other reserve big men -- Jeff Foster, Lou Amundson and Jeff Pendergraph -- all play with high energy but are not offensive threats.

"He plays at one speed," Vogel said of Hansbrough. "From day one of training camp he didn't look like he was coming out of a lockout. He's got a motor like doesn't exist in this league. He's terrific."

Whenever he enters a game, and whomever he joins on the floor, Hansbrough will play as he always has -- like every possession might be his last. And that quality, more than anything else, assures of him of a prominent role.

"I feel like I've done some things here to prove my point that I can help us win," he said. "Whatever they see my role as, I'll do that and go from there."
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!
  • glazedham42
    HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT!
    • Feb 2011

Re: Hansbrough showing he's ready for whatever awaits(Conrad Brunner)

If Tyler continues this type of production, only a moron would keep him on the bench. When a guy shows you that he can get 20 and 10 on a consistent basis, you have to put him on the court. If that means that it cuts into Roy's time, then so be it. Roy's stat sheet looked pretty anemic the first two games.

Comment

• Scot Pollard
      • Apr 2010

Just because he doesn't start doesn't mean it's because he's not important.

This is what Tyler was going to bring in the first place. Energy, scoring, etc. off the bench.
      In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Comment

• vnzla81
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Scot Pollard
        Just because he doesn't start doesn't mean it's because he's not important.

This is what Tyler was going to bring in the first place. Energy, scoring, etc. off the bench.
        Again is not about just starting is about who is the best fit to play next to Hibbert and that guy is Tyler, his hustle, rebounding and defense is need it next to Roy, we like or not Roy is a soft center and he needs a tough player next to him.

Regarding West, I don't think he is as soft as Hibbert but he is for sure not as tough as Hansbrough, the ideal combination of players I think should be as follow:

1st unit: Hill,PG,Danny,Tyler,Roy

2nd unit: DC,Lance,DJ,West,Foster/Lou/Pendergraph.

With the 1st unit you get a defensive minded point guard that could guard any starting point guard and can also control the tempo, Paul George could get more touches because DC would be on the bench.

In the second unit our main guys would be DC and West, who knows maybe implement the same offense they were running in NO so they can kill teams in the pick and roll? As centers Lou and Foster would provided the hustle and defense that's need it in the second unit, again, we should have one hustle guy in the game at all times playing two non hustle players at the same time is not a good idea IMHO, the combinations should be Tyler/Roy, West/Foster, Tyler/West, West/Lou,Lou/Roy.
        Last edited by vnzla81; 12-21-2011, 04:14 PM.
        @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• Pacemaker
          • Jul 2007

Tyler is my favorite Pacer right now. PERIOD.

Comment

• Midcoasted
            • Jan 2008

At this point in their careers, Tyler is the better player. The better player should start. I also liked what I saw when Hansbrough and West were on the floor at the same time. They can play next to each other for spurts. Some posters led me to believe that was not possible, and I'm pleasantly surprised that Hansbrough can man the PF and West the center at times.

Everyone says Hansbrough should be on the bench because we need a good bench. But that is a slap in the face to the best player on our team. Your best overall player starts, period. Would West not make a great 6th man backing up Hibbert and Hansbrough? Pretty damn good 6th man to me...

Hansbrough has earned the starting spot. I don't think West will ever be able to outplay Hansbrough on this team. West is a new player and Hansbrough has not done a single thing to warrant pulling him as a starter in favor of a guy we just signed that is still learning and recovering from a very serious injury.

Comment

• RWB
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Midcoasted
              At this point in their careers, Tyler is the better player. The better player should start.
              Have to disagree. Your best players have to finish.....
              You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

• Midcoasted
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by RWB
                Have to disagree. Your best players have to finish.....
                I should have said that because I was thinking he needs to be on the floor at the end of games. I just think he should start, get the starters minutes at PF, and finish the games.

Comment

• trs72
                  • Apr 2011

As soon as we signed D West I told my wife the plan was for Tyler to come off the bench, but that they would have a hard time keeping him out of the starting lineup. We need Tyler's toughness in the starting rotation. Honestly how many guys in this league would rather guard Tyler than West?, I doubt nobody. Roy is a fake tough guy, we need Tyler out there to make up for Roy being a wussy. Sorry Hibbert fans but its the truth and this is coming from a Hibbert fan and was pulling for the Pacers to get him in the draft. 7'2 struggles to rebound and when he gets up against a great defender in Noah he disapears all together. If I was the coach I would put Tyler on one side and foster on the other side of Roy in practice and have them just pound the crap out of him until he learned to be a man. By the end of practice he would either be crying or ready to take a swing at someone.

The key to are season is Hibbert and thats why I am so down on him because when he gets up against a competent defender who plays tough he does a dissapearing act.
                  When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

Comment

• 90'sNBARocked
                    LovingTeamDipo!
                    • Nov 2009

You dont sign a 8 year Vet , with multiple All-Star apperences to a 10M a year contract to come off the bench

I love Ty for everything he stands for (being counted against, written off etc) however that should not take place of what West has accomplished

As was pointed out here, its no who starts, its who finishes

I envision most situations will have Ty and West on the floor together in the final 5 minutes
                    Sittin on top of the world!

Comment

• beezer615
                      • Jul 2010

6th Man candidate for sure if thats how Vogel plays it. Can a teams best player not be on the court at tip-off? I'd say its more important who finishes games than starts them. Manu didn't start, and he may have been the Spurs best player.

I'd like to see what West is able to do for Collison. He hasn't really showed much in preseason yet.

Comment

• Richard_Skull
                        A Hill to get over a hill
                        • Jul 2009

Tyler is going to be our Ginobli (sp?). Arguably the best player on the team, but comes of the bench. I also believe that's a big reason SA was so good.

Edit: Pretty much what Beezer said.
                        PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Comment

• Midcoasted
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by trs72
                          The key to are season is Hibbert and thats why I am so down on him because when he gets up against a competent defender who plays tough he does a dissapearing act.
                          To be fair, Noah is one of the top tough defensive players in the game. Roy is going to have to progress this year but I think the first two games were a real challenge for him. From what I've watched, Hibbert struggles against Noah more than any other center, even Dwight Howard. Not that Noah is anywhere close to as good as Howard, it's just situationally, Noah seems to be the toughest match-up for Roy in the league.

He is Roy's kryptonite. If Roy can ever consistently outplay Noah, Roy would be an All-star. Because if he could outplay Noah, he could outplay any center in the game one on one. So let's see what Roy does against the other centers not names Noah before we start for sure labeling him soft again this year. He could make strides over the year and finally outplay Noah a game this year. We will just have to wait and see. But I do expect to see him look much improved against softer defensive front courts, and that will be a building block for him.

Comment

• Midcoasted
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by 90'sNBARocked
                            You dont sign a 8 year Vet , with multiple All-Star apperences to a 10M a year contract to come off the bench

I love Ty for everything he stands for (being counted against, written off etc) however that should not take place of what West has accomplished

As was pointed out here, its no who starts, its who finishes

I envision most situations will have Ty and West on the floor together in the final 5 minutes
                            So say it becomes clear that West will never be what he was pre-ACL, and Tyler Hansbrough proves to be the best player on the team, he should still back-up West simply for what West did in the past on another team?

JOB must have flawed the logic of a lot of people on this board. We owe West nothing. We just handed him 10 million dollars to play ball for one year. I really think West fits better as the 6th man because he can back-up both Hansbrough and Hibbert, and I just don't really see Hansbrough being able to back-up Roy other than situationally.

I think we would be a better team with Hansbrough starting and West as the 6th man because West would be the best defender on the bench and he brings a star quality All-star caliber play to the bench. I think it would be an extreme luxury to bring West off the bench, more so than even Hansbrough because West has already earned his stripes with the officials. So that allows us an All-star veteran in Danny starting, and an All-star veteran in West coming off the bench.

And I definitely could see Hansbrough and West on the floor together finishing a few games this year.
                            Last edited by Midcoasted; 12-21-2011, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• RWB
                              • May 2004

I think for the West supporters here (I'm included) the spacing will be better between Roy and David.
                              You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

Working...