• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McKeyFan
    Intuition over Integers
    • Jan 2004

Re: Mike Wells:Simple is better for hot Pacers

Originally posted by Trader Joe
    Seriously, the NBA coaching is a young man's game, and he's got some great tools to grow as a coach.
    Like the +/- stat?
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• Trader Joe
      DIET COKE!
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by spazzxb
      I will take your word for it. He hasn't been young since I have been watching basketball(Jordan). I just want to point out that the majority of championship coaches this decade have been older. Nothing against younger coaches but the older ones deserve some respect..
      Phill was hired by the BUlls when he as 44. Pretty young.

Jerry Sloan took over the Jazz when he was 46, had his first job when he was 37 though.

Pop was 47.

Mike Brown's a young coach too IMO.

I'm just sayin' I have zero interest in hiring someone over the age of 50. JOB was 55 when we brought him in.

Comment

• Trader Joe
        DIET COKE!
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by McKeyFan
        Like the +/- stat?
        ?

Comment

• BPump33
          • Feb 2008

?
          B/c it's a tool, not THE tool. (JOB show)
          Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Comment

• Trader Joe
            DIET COKE!
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by BPump33
            B/c it's a tool, not THE tool. (JOB show)
            I guess I missed that joke.

Comment

• spazzxb
              • Feb 2006

Phill was hired by the BUlls when he as 44. Pretty young.

Jerry Sloan took over the Jazz when he was 46, had his first job when he was 37 though.

Pop was 47.

Mike Brown's a young coach too IMO.

I'm just sayin' I have zero interest in hiring someone over the age of 50. JOB was 55 when we brought him in.
              There isn't an old coach i want either. When I was a kid Bulls/Purdue games were about all the basketball I watched. Growing up (until I was a teenager or so) almost exclusively watching the Bulls team (thank you WGN) in the NBA probably gave me some of my motivation to say something positive about Phil. Thanks for the history lesson.
              Last edited by spazzxb; 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Eleazar
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by cdash
                I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Vogel. I want to see if he can keep this team motivated and focused the rest of the season before I start touting him as the permanent head coach.
                I agree, but so far he has made a very strong case for it. I hope he keeps it up.

Comment

• Sookie
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by cdash
                  Great point, I have to agree. I am very interested in watching our young players and our young coach grow throughout the rest of the season. I really hope we make the playoffs so we can see what these guys are really made of.
                  One of the greatest things about Vogel, which JOB clearly didn't get, was that he understands his players are people..and that a coaching job is partially a job as a psychologist. But you can't forget the basketball side either.

The best coaches are those that recognize both, Phil and Pop are the obvious examples. You just won't be successful as a coach if you are one or the other. (With JOB obviously being the statstics side, and possibly Mike Brown being the players guy. Although you could argue that he never got the chance to show his basketball side.)

Comment

• Tom White
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DemonHunter1105
                    I love what Frank is doing.

But am I the only one that gets a little sick with all of these Boston connections the Pacers seem to make?? Makes you feel a little bit dirty if you ask me.
                    I understand what you are saying, and in part have to agree.

However, in this case I like the idea that we have a coach who is willing to say "Here is an idea from someone else who has done darn well with it, and I want to see how well we can use it." as opposed to a coach that thinks they are the all-knowing, don't even think about suggesting something else type.

Comment

• DemonHunter1105
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Tom White
                      I understand what you are saying, and in part have to agree.

However, in this case I like the idea that we have a coach who is willing to say "Here is an idea from someone else who has done darn well with it, and I want to see how well we can use it." as opposed to a coach that thinks they are the all-knowing, don't even think about suggesting something else type.
                      Yeah, I just wish it wasn't the Celtics we were imitating . If anything we need to try and match their defense. KG isn't nearly the force he used to be and Perkins excluded, I think they manage outstanding defense with very average individual talent on that end.

Comment

• Unclebuck
                        Administrator
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DemonHunter1105
                        YeIf anything we need to try and match their defense. KG isn't nearly the force he used to be and Perkins excluded, I think they manage outstanding defense with very average individual talent on that end.
                        The Celtics have three starters who are better than any defenders the Pacers have. Rondo, Perkins and KG. Paul Pierce is also very good.

Comment

• Sookie
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Unclebuck
                          The Celtics have three starters who are better than any defenders the Pacers have. Rondo, Perkins and KG. Paul Pierce is also very good.
                          I think Brandon Rush is better than Perkins and KG defensively.

Comment

• DemonHunter1105
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Unclebuck
                            Rondo is good if he gets the right matchup but he isn't a world-beater. He is more of a crafty/risky defender who goes for the steal a lot. I don't think Pierce is all that amazing either, the system just makes him look good in my eyes.

What I like about their defense is that Ray Allen and Big Baby are not that great, but the way they play you couldn't really pick them out as being that much worse than the others. They cover up their individual deficiencies well. That is what I want Vogel to try to match.

Comment

• King Phoenix
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by tfarks
                              The Pacers are the Jamaican bobsled team and the Celtics are the Swiss.
                              One of my favorite movies growing up. And it's funny that u said that for these reasons.

1. Cool Runnings means " peace be the journey " and it's been a lot of peace on the board since job left and on our journey to the playoffs

2. We have a track star leading our "bobsled" in dc

3. We have a coach who has a different view On how to coach

And finally even if we crash well at the end of the season be respected, united, and have a great chemistry with our team and coach

Maybe I took the analogies too far

Comment

• TinManJoshua
                                • May 2010

The man deserves the chance somewhere to lead a team without the term "interim" attached to his title.

Let's just hope that if it's not here, it's in the Western Conference.

Comment

Working...