• Show
Clear All
  • focused444
    play harder!
    • Jan 2009

Mike Wells:Simple is better for hot Pacers

Mike Wells

Indystar.com

Indiana Pacers coach Frank Vogel is always trying to figure out ways to get the most out of his players.

He showed them a scene from the movie "Rocky II" last week and had a list of the NFL's best lockdown cornerbacks on a board prior to the Pacers' game at Miami earlier this week.

Now he wants his team to emulate the offensive system of the Boston Celtics even though there are no Paul Pierces, Ray Allens, Kevin Garnetts or Rajon Rondos on the roster.

"I watch every playoff game. I watch the Celtics go on their runs. I watch the Lakers,'' Vogel said. "I watch teams who are successful and I try to figure out how we can do what they do. It's not all talent."

The Celtics have become a premier team by sharing the scoring load. They space the court and move the ball.

The first thing Vogel did when he took over as coach last week was simplify his team's offense. The Pacers spent most of their practice time earlier this week working on Boston's offense.

"We've shown them a lot of tape of (Boston) the last few days. That has nothing to do with Hall of Fame talent," Vogel said. "It's just how they play. They play an unselfish brand of basketball. (Celtics coach) Doc Rivers has them playing as a team, and that's what I'm trying to install here."

The early results have been promising.

At least three players each night have attempted 10 or more shots in all six games under Vogel. They have scored at least 100 points in all six games.

The Pacers, 5-1 since Vogel took over for Jim O'Brien, host the Minnesota Timberwolves tonight at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"I'm blown away at how well our guys are picking up the concepts of just passing and spacing," Vogel said. "We are moving the basketball. It's almost like a passing clinic, the way we're passing the ball. I'm very proud of our guys."

Spreading the scoring load also has made the Pacers less predictable.

Danny Granger still leads the team in scoring, but Darren Collison, Dahntay Jones and Roy Hibbert also have been productive.

"It's an equal opportunity offense," Collison said. "You can't predict that only one guy is going to get the ball. There are so many guys who can create for themselves and we have a lot of great shooters on the team."

Better spacing on the court and strong perimeter shooting have helped transform the Pacers into an inside-out team again.

Hibbert has scored at least 15 points in four of the past six games, including tying his career high of 29 Wednesday night against Charlotte.

"We run a play. If that sequence isn't open, coach wants us to throw the ball in the post and let me go to work," Hibbert said. "Coach wants us to be like Boston in terms of our efficiency and passing the ball. We just started, so I think we'll get better."
    I didn't see this posted anywhere. Please delete if already posted.
    Last edited by focused444; 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM.
  • pacer4ever
    • Aug 2010

Re: Mike Wells:Simple is better for hot Pacers

I love what Hibbert said in bold thats good news. Run the play if not open feed the post. Opposed to chucking 3s

Comment

• Trader Joe
      DIET COKE!
      • Jan 2006

Hire this man, yesterday.

Seriously, the NBA coaching is a young man's game, and he's got some great tools to grow as a coach.

Comment

• focused444
        play harder!
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Trader Joe

Seriously, the NBA coaching is a young man's game, and he's got some great tools to grow as a coach.
        I agree, and I don't want to crown Vogel prematurely, but I prefer him over Mike Brown. Just a gut feeling.

Comment

• cdash
          Whale Shepherd
          • Jun 2009

I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Vogel. I want to see if he can keep this team motivated and focused the rest of the season before I start touting him as the permanent head coach.

Comment

• spazzxb
            • Feb 2006

What about Jackson and all his rings?

Comment

• Trader Joe
              DIET COKE!
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by spazzxb
              What about Jackson and all his rings?
              Pop and Jackson are members of a dying breed. A fraternity that got one man smaller yesterday.

Plus Jackson started winning as a young coach, no?

Comment

• Brad8888
                Fatman the Malevolent
                • Dec 2008

How can we possibly be "spacing the court"? We no longer employ a "stretch 4" and we don't use the 3 as our primary scoring threat for the purposes of creating space. How in the world can we possibly be "spacing the court"?

Blasphemy I tell you...blasphemy.

Comment

• Sookie
                  • Nov 2009

Boston's offense.

I love Boston's offense.

I love the motivation tactics too.

I'm still waiting to see on how he does with adjustments..but really, I think Vogel has "it" as a coach.

I'm almost as excited to watch him grow as a coach for the rest of the season, as I am to watch the players grow.

Comment

• cdash
                    Whale Shepherd
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Sookie
                    Boston's offense.

I love Boston's offense.

I love the motivation tactics too.

I'm still waiting to see on how he does with adjustments..but really, I think Vogel has "it" as a coach.

I'm almost as excited to watch him grow as a coach for the rest of the season, as I am to watch the players grow.
                    Great point, I have to agree. I am very interested in watching our young players and our young coach grow throughout the rest of the season. I really hope we make the playoffs so we can see what these guys are really made of.

Comment

• DemonHunter1105
                      • Jun 2010

I love what Frank is doing.

But am I the only one that gets a little sick with all of these Boston connections the Pacers seem to make?? Makes you feel a little bit dirty if you ask me.

Comment

• cdash
                        Whale Shepherd
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by DemonHunter1105
                        I love what Frank is doing.

But am I the only one that gets a little sick with all of these Boston connections the Pacers seem to make?? Makes you feel a little bit dirty if you ask me.
                        I couldn't care less about any connections. I like that we are modeling ourselves after a winning team and a winning franchise. I don't really get why that bothers people, but to each his own.

Comment

• DemonHunter1105
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by cdash
                          I couldn't care less about any connections. I like that we are modeling ourselves after a winning team and a winning franchise. I don't really get why that bothers people, but to each his own.
                          I just picture in my mind us trailing after the Celtics picking up their leftovers. Probably just me. If we keep winning though, I won't complain

Comment

• spazzxb
                            • Feb 2006

Pop and Jackson are members of a dying breed. A fraternity that got one man smaller yesterday.

Plus Jackson started winning as a young coach, no?
                            I will take your word for it. He hasn't been young since I have been watching basketball(Jordan). I just want to point out that the majority of championship coaches this decade have been older. Nothing against younger coaches but the older ones deserve some respect..

Comment

• tfarks
                              • Jan 2009

The Pacers are the Jamaican bobsled team and the Celtics are the Swiss.

Comment

Working...