X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BornReady#6
    H.U.M.A.N. World
    • Jul 2010

Best young cores

What are some of the best young cores in the NBA today? Which teams do you think in 3-4 years will be contenders if they stick with their youth?(I did 25 and under.)

Edited for consensus:

#1ThunderWe all know that drafting has really done these guys good, and being the youngest team in the league, they are a model for all small market teams.
    Westbrook, Maynor
    Harden, Cook
    Durant
    Green,
    Ibaka, Aldrich

#2ClippersEveryone seems to be jumping on the Clippers band wagon, and there is plenty of room. The question always remains though, what will Mr. Sterling do? We have seen the Clippers in this position plenty, plenty, plenty of times, where they amass a great core of young guys, and then for some reason they are all gone by free agency, injuries or crazy trades.
    Bledsoe, Willie Warren
    Gordon,
    Al-Farouq Aminu,
    Griffen
    Jordan,

#3?Pacers:As a team we are doing well getting guys in every position, if we can develop these guys, we should be contenders for years in the East
    DC, AJ
    Brush, Lance
    George
    Tyler, McBob
    Roy

Wizards:With a few more lottery picks, and some playing time the wiz are making moves to build a contender also.
    Wall
    Young
    Yi
    Blatche, Seraphin
    McGee

Raptors: This team seems to lose every all star they get, but through it all they have picked up some good young players, now they just need time and some more picks.
    Bayless
    DeRozan, Weems
    Klieza, Wright
    Ed Davis, Amir Johnson
    Bargnani

Rockets This team really has a ton of talent, but like every year, they fail to win against the way better teams in the west, and they always have injury problems. On a good note, they have picked up some really good young talent to play behind their older guys.
    Brooks, Lowry, Ish Smith
    Lee, Twill,
    Budinger,
    Patterson, Hill

GrizzliesThis team has done great on the drafting side, but only Rudy Gay has really panned out to his full potential, with Conley and Gasol showing some good game also, but none-the-less it hasn't transfered into many wins.
    Conley, Vasquez
    Mayo, Henry,
    Gay, Young, Carol
    Arthur,
    Gasol, Thabeet, Hadadi

TWolves:So much talent, so little direction. This is one of those teams we will look back at, after these players have gone on to other teams and succeeded, and think what a waste.
    Rubio, Flynn, Telfair
    Wes Johnson, Webster, Ellington
    Beasley, Brewer, Hayward,
    Love, Tolliver
    Darko, Pekovic, Kosta

Warriors:Just like always the Warriors are a talented team that seems to always just waste it.
    Curry, Lin, Law
    Ellis, Williams,
    Dorrell Wright, Udoh
    Brandan Wright,
    Biedrins

Kings: They remind me of the wizards of the west, they are silently rebuilding, and will be a great team in due time.
    Evans
    Taylor
    Casspi, Greene
    Thompson, Jackson
    Cousins, Whiteside
    Last edited by BornReady#6; 01-12-2011, 05:56 PM.
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

"No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher

• pacer4ever
    • Aug 2010

Re: Best young cores

Thunder followed by the Clippers

Comment

• Trophy
      • Mar 2009

What's the frown for?

Comment

• MyFavMartin
        This team is Fun!
        • Oct 2007

I think we saw one last night: Holiday, Evans, and Speights. Meeks is potentially a very good 6th man/Ben Gordon-type (offensive spark).

Comment

• Unclebuck
          Administrator
          • Jan 2004

Whenver I look at this type of thing I only look at quality. Don't really care too much about players 4-6 on the lists above. Only care about 1-3

The combo of Westbrook and Durrant are by far the best on that list, in fact they deserve to be compared with some of the best combos in the NBA - such as Lebron and Wade - that is how good they already are.

I would put the Clippers second.

Comment

• DrFife
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Unclebuck
            Whenver I look at this type of thing I only look at quality. Don't really care too much about players 4-6 on the lists above. Only care about 1-3

The combo of Westbrook and Durrant are by far the best on that list, in fact they deserve to be compared with some of the best combos in the NBA - such as Lebron and Wade - that is how good they already are.

I would put the Clippers second.
            Interesting comment. I agree with the Thunder-then-Clippers vote, but my statistical analysis from a couple years ago suggested that adding the 4th player (but not the 5th) to consideration in predicting regular season records was (marginally) worthwhile.

"He’s no shrinking violet when it comes to that kind of stuff."

- Rick Carlisle on how Kevin Pritchard responds to needed roster changes.

Comment

• graphic-er
              I'm on a MAC!
              • Jan 2010

I'd also add Evans, Cousins, Casspi in Sacto as a good young core.
              You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

• pacer4ever
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by graphic-er
                I'd also add Evans, Cousins, Casspi in Sacto as a good young core.
                GS also

Comment

• sportfireman
                  • Jul 2009

Thunder followed by Clippers. Pacers aren't too far behind.... we just need the right motivator.
                  I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the esteem of Elohim,
                  Ephisians 4: 32 And be kind towards one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as Elohim also forgave you in Messiah.

Comment

• pacer4ever
                    • Aug 2010

Twolves should be on here

Beasly,Love,Flynn,Wes, Rubio

Comment

• Justin Tyme
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by BornReady#6
                      What are some of the best young cores in the NBA today? Which teams do you think in 3-4 years will be contenders if they stick with their youth?(I did 25 and under.)

Pacersof course)As a team we are doing well getting guys in every position, if we can develop these guys, we should be contenders for years in the East
                      DC, AJ
                      Brush, Lance
                      George
                      Tyler, McBob
                      Roy

Wizards:With a few more lottery picks, and some playing time the wiz are making moves to build a contender also.
                      Wall
                      Young
                      Yi
                      Blatche, Seraphin
                      McGee

Raptors: This team seems to lose every all star they get, but through it all they have picked up some good young players, now they just need time and some more picks.
                      Bayless
                      DeRozan, Weems
                      Klieza, Wright
                      Ed Davis, Amir Johnson
                      Bargnani

Rockets This team really has a ton of talent, but like every year, they fail to win against the way better teams in the west, and they always have injury problems. On a good note, they have picked up some really good young talent to play behind their older guys.
                      Brooks, Lowry, Ish Smith
                      Lee, Twill,
                      Budinger,
                      Patterson, Hill

GrizzliesThis team has done great on the drafting side, but only Rudy Gay has really panned out to his full potential, with Conley and Gasol showing some good game also, but none-the-less it hasn't transfered into many wins.
                      Conley, Vasquez
                      Mayo, Henry,
                      Gay, Young, Carol
                      Arthur,
                      Thabeet, Hadadi

ThunderWe all know that drafting has really done these guys good, and being the youngest team in the league, they are a model for all small market teams.
                      Westbrook, Maynor
                      Harden, Cook
                      Durant
                      Green,
                      Ibaka, Aldrich

ClippersEveryone seems to be jumping on the Clippers band wagon, and there is plenty of room. The question always remains though, what will Mr. Sterling do? We have seen the Clippers in this position plenty, plenty, plenty of times, where they amass a great core of young guys, and then for some reason they are all gone by free agency, injuries or crazy trades.
                      Bledsoe, Willie Warren
                      Gordon,
                      Al-Farouq Aminu,
                      Griffen
                      Jordan,

Why did you leave out Marc Gasol? I like Memphis with Gay, Gasol, Mayo, and Conley. They have a very young and inexperienced bench. The owner should have kept his nose out of drafting Thabeet at #2 when there was much better talent available to choose. Practically, every player drafted after Thabeet is a better player than Thabeet. A case could be made that a dozen 2nd round picks are better. What a waste of a #2 pick in a good draft!!

Comment

• Pacergeek
                        • Apr 2009

I like the Grizzlies. Conley has really improved this season, and Gay is becoming a star.
                        Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

Comment

• cdash
                          Whale Shepherd
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by bhaas0532
                          I like the Grizzlies. Conley has really improved this season, and Gay is becoming a star.
                          Yeah, I do too. Gay is already a star.

I know PG is a little smaller than Rudy, but I think that is a good comparison for where George could eventually be someday. We can only hope.

Comment

• DrFife
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by cdash
                            Yeah, I do too. Gay is already a star.

I know PG is a little smaller than Rudy, but I think that is a good comparison for where George could eventually be someday. We can only hope.
                            Gay has the wingspan of a condor and can jump out of the gym, but PGeorge has hops too and is about the same size otherwise:

NBA Draft scouting reports, mock drafts, articles on NBA Draft Prospects. Extensive high school, NCAA and international NBA draft coverage.

NBA Draft scouting reports, mock drafts, articles on NBA Draft Prospects. Extensive high school, NCAA and international NBA draft coverage.

"He’s no shrinking violet when it comes to that kind of stuff."

- Rick Carlisle on how Kevin Pritchard responds to needed roster changes.

Comment

• seattlerainer
                              GreatBasketballSince1967
                              • Jan 2011

hahah so PG is wayy better than Gay 4 sho

Comment

Working...