Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bball
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did
    • Jan 2004

Re: "Coachspeak" thread, for the record.

Originally posted by McKeyFan
    Why do we still listen? Because he is the head coach of our franchise.

Rather, why aren't you calling for the ouster of a head coach who has lost a large part of his credibility?
    Actually, why isn't Larry Bird calling for his ouster?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• McKeyFan
      Intuition over Integers
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bball
      Actually, why isn't Larry Bird calling for his ouster?
      Because he's listening to Uncle Buck?

"Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• Bball
        Jimmy did what Jimmy did
        • Jan 2004

Because he's listening to Uncle Buck?

That can't be true...

NOBODY listens to UncleBuck!!!

Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• kester99
          The light, not the lie.
          • Nov 2007

Wasn't aware the coach needed credibility with the readers of PD. And none of you have any evidence whatsoever that he's lost credibility with the players. And everyone that calls for the firing keeps ignoring the economic facts of the coming CBA, the contracts involved, the difficulties (and pointlessness) of getting a new coach in here now when we don't know what FAs or other players we might get next year.

TPTB are sticking with their plan, and that's what they should be doing. We'll see how formidable a team that gives us at some point next year, and how much promise they have at that point. In the meantime, there's no real contradiction between 'win now' and 'continue to develop players.' You can try to do both at the same time.

Are we going to win now? Not if we keep the offensive percentages we have shown the last couple of games. I do wish, as we all do, that JOB would quit turning the ball over, and hit more of his layups.

[~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Comment

• Unclebuck
            Administrator
            • Jan 2004

Why do we still listen? Because he is the head coach of our franchise.

Rather, why aren't you calling for the ouster of a head coach who has lost a large part of his credibility?
            First of all, I did say after last season that I thought he should be replaced. I just don't harp on it day after day after day.

But now that he is still here, until I know he has lost credibility with the players, I think he should stay. I don't give a hoot about whether he has lost credibility with the fans and or people in this forum

Comment

• McKeyFan
              Intuition over Integers
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unclebuck
              But now that he is still here, until I know he has lost credibility with the players, I think he should stay.
              How do you know he hasn't?

I assume he has. Just common sense. But Bird seems too stubborn to make a change.

I mean, what's a player to do if Bird won't make a change? They've signed contracts. They can't control who the coach is.

Just because our players are decent human beings who don't act like Randy Moss doesn't mean an inconsistent coach doesn't drive them batty.
              "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• Unclebuck
                Administrator
                • Jan 2004

How do you know he hasn't?

I assume he has. Just common sense. But Bird seems too stubborn to make a change.

I mean, what's a player to do if Bird won't make a change? They've signed contracts. They can't control who the coach is.

Just because our players are decent human beings who don't act like Randy Moss doesn't mean an inconsistent coach doesn't drive them batty.
                Read the NBA thread and look at Kstat's account of what the Pistons are doing to their coach. That is not happening here.

It isn't about being decent human beings. If the players didn't respect JOB, Bird would know that

Comment

• Sookie
                  • Nov 2009

I think keeping JOB is a finacial decision, not a basketball one for Larry.

I think looking at the way the players are behaving to decide whether they are for or against JOB will create an inaccurate perception. For many reasons, that we've been through time and time before, not all teams act the same.

Comment

• pacer4ever
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Sookie;1092054[B
                    ]I think keeping JOB is a finacial decision, not a basketball one for Larry. [/B]I think looking at the way the players are behaving to decide whether they are for or against JOB will create an inaccurate perception. For many reasons, that we've been through time and time before, not all teams act the same.
                    then why did they pick up his option for this year?????

Comment

• Sookie
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by pacer4ever
                      then why did they pick up his option for this year?????
                      Because there is a looming lockout and no new good coach is going to take a deal for a year.

Comment

• pacer4ever
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Sookie
                        Because there is a looming lockout and no new good coach is going to take a deal for a year.
                        if we sign a new coach for 4 yrs we dont have to pay him during a lockout.

Comment

• Mackey_Rose
                          Droppin' knowledge, yo.
                          • Oct 2010

Read the NBA thread and look at Kstat's account of what the Pistons are doing to their coach. That is not happening here.

It isn't about being decent human beings. If the players didn't respect JOB, Bird would know that
                          Bird does know it. The players have voiced their opposition, they just aren't doing it publicly because they are more professional than their Detroit counterparts.

Comment

• Naptown_Seth
                            NaptownSeth is all feel
                            • Jul 2006

I don't know why in the world you guys stilll listen to Jim.

Seriously, if this really gets under your skin, then stop listening to him
                            Wait a second. You are putting the blame on US for listening to HIM when he hasn't made good on his quotes? That's some kind of logic.

I get to say whatever I want and if it turns out I fibbed a little then it's your fault for being upset by it.

Not only that, but you're actually trashing him out if you are telling us that he's so full of crap when he speaks that we shouldn't even listen to him or believe anything he says. Great rep for the coach, hard to see why we wouldn't love that.

And I haven't even been unhappy with what he's DONE so far this year, other than not using Tyler in the first game.

How do you know Bird doesn't know that? There is no way a kid like Hibbert is ever going to be anything but pro-coach and pro-team.

We DO get quotes about the system from players all the time. We had Jarrett Jack blatantly call out TJ Ford's play when JOB refused to reign it in. Guys say things that imply the issues without being jerks and saying things outright.

Comment

• Sookie
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Mackey_Rose
                              Bird does know it. The players have voiced their opposition, they just aren't doing it publicly because they are more professional than their Detroit counterparts.
                              I'm not sure any group of players could be treated and coached the way JOB has coached this team, for the past few years, and have any of them be happy.

Comment

• CableKC
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Hicks
                                Yep. You were absolutely right. Well, it's only talk from Jim, so as we all know it's not quite time to declare this one, but according to tweets from Mike Wells about an hour ago, Jim said he plans to now use all four in the rotation.
                                Cool....that means that we get to see more lineups like the one we used against the Bucks at the end of that game where Granger or Posey are the PFs and Hibbert is the only Player inside the paint trying to fight off 3 other Players for a rebound

Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Working...