X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McKeyFan
    Intuition over Integers
    • Jan 2004

"Coachspeak" thread, for the record.

JOB has become famous for saying one thing and doing another.

Some call these contradictions. Some call them hypocritical. Others, like our venerable Uncle Buck (revered in every area except for his JOB apologetics), call it "coachspeak."

Last night, James Posey was the first big off the bench after JOB said a couple of days before that Tyler was now our first big off the bench. Tyler has way outplayed Posey, and Tyler seems critical to our success, but whatever. Coachspeak won the day.

A few weeks ago, JOB said AJ was the best player in the preseason. Translated via coachspeak, this actually means, "AJ will never see the court. In fact, he will not dress during the regular season."

It's hard to take Jim O'Brien seriously.

I'm starting this primarily as a thread to keep a record of all the coachspeaks that occur this year. When they happen, drag up this thread and add another. Ought to be good for at least 25 to 50.

If you want to list past coachspeaks, that's fine too. And I'm sure there might be some banter and some pestiness from Flox the fly. But mainly it's a place to list more contradictions as they occur.

And for those of you who will say we don't need another Jim O'Stubborn thread, I will counter that those are the only kind we probably need. Until what needs to be done is done. Notice there aren't a lot of threads anymore about Stephen Jackson or Tinsley.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 11-06-2010, 10:18 AM.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

• Pacers#1Fan
    • Jul 2005

Re: "Coachspeak" thread, for the record.

Just spitballing here but has anyone ever mentioned maybe petitioning for a coaching change? May seem a little over-the-top but at least it would show the organization that a decent portion of the fan-base is displeased (although I think by now it's pretty common knowledge). Like I said, just an idea, but I believing actions would speak louder than posts on a forum.

Comment

• Mackey_Rose
      Droppin' knowledge, yo.
      • Oct 2010

He said he will be going with a three-wing rotation with Rush being fourth in line, and thus being left out of the rotation.

I fully expect to see Rush starting Tuesday and probably playing 40 minutes.

Comment

• Hibbert
        Veteran
        • Feb 2010

You can add JOB saying the offense will be run through Roy and that not being the case at all, especially in a critical conference matchup with the Bucks whom didn't have Bogut, the only one on their team who can matchup with Roy. Roy did not take a single shot in the 3rd quarter and he really never had the chance, they weren't running $*** through him.

Comment

• McKeyFan
          Intuition over Integers
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hibbert
          You can add JOB saying the offense will be run through Roy and that not being the case at all, especially in a critical conference matchup with the Bucks whom didn't have Bogut, the only one on their team who can matchup with Roy. Roy did not take a single shot in the 3rd quarter and he really never had the chance, they weren't running $*** through him.
          In fairness, I will say that Roy IS getting the ball on a lot of possessions. But as the season goes along, they are more and more high post touches, not low post.

And that pretty much ruins the concept.
          "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• TheDon
            The Doctor's In The House
            • Aug 2006

I think you can add the fact that he said that we'll be forcing people to match up to us instead of matchup to the other team. The only game I can think where we actually played our game was the home opener against philly where Roy dominated Brand. That was more of a fluke though, cause ever since then and even in San Antonio when other teams went small obie's eyes just lit up and I'll be damned if we didn't match right up with them! I want us to succeed but I don't have to worry about that as long as obie is calling the shots.

Comment

• ReggiesUncle
              • Oct 2010

My favorite so far this season happened in the first 2 games. Psycho T didn't play in game 1 v. Spurs because according to the coach he wasn't ready/up to speed w the offense, etc whatever. So game 2 he plays. Plays well. And he is in at the END of the game! wow what a drastic change Tyler must have made in 2 days....or more like what a contradiction by the coach

Comment

• pacer4ever
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Mackey_Rose
                He said he will be going with a three-wing rotation with Rush being fourth in line, and thus being left out of the rotation.

hope so and mike D the 4th wing

Comment

• Sookie
                  • Nov 2009

Dun's going to start.

Paul George is going to lose all of his minutes. Making our second unit even worse. Because, at the very least, George was aggressive offensively, even if his shot wasn't falling. Rush, who should probaby get all of the shots in the second unit..will most likely get about three.

Comment

• Hicks
                    • Jun 2004

Yep. You were absolutely right. Well, it's only talk from Jim, so as we all know it's not quite time to declare this one, but according to tweets from Mike Wells about an hour ago, Jim said he plans to now use all four in the rotation.

Comment

• Sookie
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Hicks
                      Yep. You were absolutely right. Well, it's only talk from Jim, so as we all know it's not quite time to declare this one, but according to tweets from Mike Wells about an hour ago, Jim said he plans to now use all four in the rotation.
                      Seeing as JOB has said two things that are the opposite of each other, this is an odd one.

I'm thinking...he starts Dun, and he has a three man rotation of Danny/Dun/Rush. Particularly since Paul George was about the only Pacer to play well last game. It only makes sense that he's benched.

Seriously, I think JOB's just messing with us now. Saying two things that are the opposite of each other before a game is played..but there's always an alternative he can eventually go with.
                      Last edited by Sookie; 11-06-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Unclebuck
                        Administrator
                        • Jan 2004

I don't know why in the world you guys stilll listen to Jim.

Seriously, if this really gets under your skin, then stop listening to him

Comment

• Sparhawk
                          • Nov 2009

If a coach says one thing and does something else as often as JOB, the fans won't trust him. But what about the players? What about management? What's going on with that?

I simply don't trust JOB. I try not to pay attention to what he says, but it's kind of hard when it gets posted all over Pacers boards and then we find out during the game that he does something else entirely. It boggles the mind.
                          First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

Comment

• Mackey_Rose
                            Droppin' knowledge, yo.
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Sparhawk
                            If a coach says one thing and does something else as often as JOB, the fans won't trust him. But what about the players? What about management? What's going on with that?

I simply don't trust JOB. I try not to pay attention to what he says, but it's kind of hard when it gets posted all over Pacers boards and then we find out during the game that he does something else entirely. It boggles the mind.
                            I can't speak for the management, but the players are not happy right now. Not at all.

They aren't stupid. They've been around the game their whole lives. They know when a coach is holding them back.

Comment

• McKeyFan
                              Intuition over Integers
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unclebuck
                              I don't know why in the world you guys stilll listen to Jim.

Seriously, if this really gets under your skin, then stop listening to him
                              Why do we still listen? Because he is the head coach of our franchise.

Rather, why aren't you calling for the ouster of a head coach who has lost a large part of his credibility?
                              Last edited by McKeyFan; 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...