• Show
Clear All
  • Jose Slaughter
    • Jan 2004

Danny Granger Expects Pacers to Deal for a Big Man

Danny Granger Expects Pacers to Deal for a Big Man

Chris Tomasson
    Senior NBA Writer

NEW YORK -- First, Larry Bird said it. Now, Danny Granger is being even more specific about what type of move the Indiana Pacers soon could make.

Asked by FanHouse on Friday in Springfield, Mass., where Bird was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame along with members of the 1992 Olympic Dream Team, the Pacers president said the team needs to make another trade before the start of the regular season. Asked by FanHouse about Bird's comments, Granger said management has told him to expect a move, and he figures they will look to acquire a big man.

"We're not done yet," Granger said after scoring 22 points for Team USA in a scrimmage Saturday against China at Madison Square Garden. "I talked to management, and we're not done yet. What will happen, I don't know yet. We're still mulling over it. But we got a few things still up our sleeve."

Granger let it be known what the Pacers need after recently dealing power forward Troy Murphy to New Jersey in a four-team trade which netted Indiana point guard Darren Collison and small forward James Posey from New Orleans.

"We're going to have to go after another big, I'm sure," said the 6-foot-8 Granger. "Losing Troy, he was great. I can play the (power forward) but I'm not a true (power forward). So we're definitely going to have to add another big, and I think that will be our main focus."

The Pacers have the expiring contracts of Mike Dunleavy ($10.56 million), T.J. Ford ($8.78 million) and Jeff Foster ($6.66 million) to dangle in trades. That Murphy has an expiring contract worth $11.97 million played a role in the Pacers getting into the four-team deal, enabling them to acquire a much-needed point guard.

"I love them," Granger said of the trade acquisitions. "I really love them. As soon as it happened, I called Darren Collison because I was really excited about it ... Amazing point guard. What he did for New Orleans when Chris Paul was out (the second half of last season with a knee injury). And I think in our system he'll really thrive. And he shot it well. I think, when he got drafted, they didn't know how good of a shooter he was."

The 6-foot Collison shot 40 percent from three-point range as a rookie last season. He averaged 12.4 points and 5.7 assists.

Now that the Hornets have gotten a key small man, they'll turn their attention to a big man.

Chris Tomasson can be reached at tomasson@fanhouse.com or on Twitter@christomasson
  • ksuttonjr76
    • Nov 2009

Re: Danny Granger Expects Pacers to Deal for a Big Man

Wow...talk about loose lips. I'm not mad at him.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Comment

• rexnom
      Headband and Rec Specs
      • Dec 2005

"We're going to have to go after another big, I'm sure," said the 6-foot-8 Granger. "Losing Troy, he was great. I can play the (power forward) but I'm not a true (power forward). So we're definitely going to have to add another big, and I think that will be our main focus."

Yeah, Danny's really leaking crucial info there. I'm just glad to see that he's concerned about the team and has an ostensibly keen understanding of the team's needs.

Comment

• imawhat
        Bring Back David West
        • Aug 2006

It's always interesting to hear how much players/management discuss strategy/transactions. Good to hear there's a line of communication there.

Comment

• Jose Slaughter
          • Jan 2004

The key quote is... "I talked to management, and we're not done yet. What will happen, I don't know yet. We're still mulling over it. But we got a few things still up our sleeve."

Not that he talked to Bird & or Morway but that there appears to be multiple offers being discussed.

Comment

• MillerTime
            FREE LANCE
            • May 2008

I dont think its a surprise that we're going after another big man. Practically everyone knows that. There was an article out there stating that the reason that the Pacers havent traded Murphy yet (pre Collison trade) was because theyre PF situation would look even worse.

Now that Murphy is gone, we're in desperate need of a PF.

Bird said it himself. Granger didnt leak anything too lucrative here. This is all a known for us. If something happens before the season starts, thats great. But I just dont see that happening. If it does happen, it'll probably be a one year rental until out PF options are better. Right now there isnt much out there that will help us in the long term
            "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Comment

• MagicRat
              ENABEABLER
              • Jan 2004

TJ's "Will find out the direction of my career soon" tweet + Danny's "we got a few things still up our sleeve." quote = ?
              PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Comment

• rexnom
                Headband and Rec Specs
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by MagicRat
                TJ's "Will find out the direction of my career soon" tweet + Danny's "we got a few things still up our sleeve." quote = ?
                Profit?

Comment

• 2minutes twowa
                  Lifer
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by MagicRat
                  So he tweeted that recently?
                  Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Comment

• 2minutes twowa
                    Lifer
                    • Jun 2008

I wouldn't doubt if it's something involving Charlotte. If they were close to making the previous deal, then they must think highly of TJ.
                    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Comment

• Psyren
                      Batman's New Side Kick
                      • Aug 2008

Good to hear!
                      Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Comment

• MillerTime
                        FREE LANCE
                        • May 2008

I wonder who they're looking at...
                        • Tyrus Thomas
                        • Taj Gibson
                        • Hickson
                        • Brandon Wright
                        • Jordan Hill
                        • Anthony Randolph
                        • Bass
                        • Landry
                        • Jason Thompson

Those are some names I came up with on the top of my head. I would like to see Tyrus Thomas or Anthony Randolph come to the Pacers. They athletic PF that would really held on defence.

I dont think we have a shot at Horford this season, and if we did, we would be risking him leaving after one season...thats why I didnt add him
                        "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Comment

• Psyren
                          Batman's New Side Kick
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 2minutes twowa
                          So he tweeted that recently?

Will find out the direction of my career soon
                          Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Comment

• MagicRat
                            ENABEABLER
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rexnom
                            Profit?
                            Crazy bellringer was right. There's money to be made in a place like this.
                            PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Comment

• PacersPride
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by MillerTime
                              I wonder who they're looking at...
                              • Tyrus Thomas
                              • Taj Gibson
                              • Hickson
                              • Brandon Wright
                              • Jordan Hill
                              • Anthony Randolph
                              • Bass
                              • Landry
                              • Jason Thompson

Those are some names I came up with on the top of my head. I would like to see Tyrus Thomas or Anthony Randolph come to the Pacers. They athletic PF that would really held on defence.

I dont think we have a shot at Horford this season, and if we did, we would be risking him leaving after one season...thats why I didnt add him
                              im not sure how we have a shot at horford anyways, i reviewed ATL's salaries and it doesnt look that terrible to me. seems like they should be able to afford horford.

i bet its charlotte as well, who does jordan hill play for, he sounds like an intriguing prospect.

Comment

Working...