Why is everyone upset we don't have a Point Guard?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IndyPacer
    • Jun 2008

Re: Why is everyone upset we don't have a Point Guard?

I'm not upset, so not "everyone" is. There just weren't a lot of great opportunities available to upgrade at PG in this draft, and I don't want our team gimped by a lopsided desperation trade for a mediocre PG. Our most pressing need right now is adding talent, not adding a mediocre PG.

We still have room for improvement through trades of expiring contracts. The recent trades we've seen should have taught us all that teams will do surprising things to shed salary. We should be waiting for that type of deal, not trading off our picks and young players and ending up with an even weaker team.

Comment

• pwee31
      Release Psycho T
      • Aug 2006

Sorry if this is buried elsewhere

The 2010 NBA Draft is over and the basketball world is shifting their attention to free agency, which is now less than one week away. The appetizer was great but everyone is patiently waiting for the main entrée.

But before free agency kicks off on July 1, could we see more movement from teams in the form of trades? After last night, fourteen deals had been completed and several others could be consummated in the coming days. Several situations that received a lot of attention heading into draft night could be could be back in the headlines very soon.

The Indiana Pacers were actively shopping the tenth overall pick for a point guard heading into the draft but after talks for Jonny Flynn, Eric Maynor, Darren Collison, George Hill, Ty Lawson, and others broke down, they decided to draft Paul George. But don't be surprised if the team continues talks in the coming days to fill that vacant point guard spot.

Sources say that while the Pacers have inquired about several free agent point guards, the team is first looking at what is available in terms of trades. In the days leading up to the draft, Indiana was willing to package Troy Murphy with the tenth overall pick in an effort to get a deal done so the Pacers are serious about finding their point guard of the future. Don't be surprised if Indiana resumes trade talks with several teams and eventually lands their floor general.

Another team that was involved in many crazy rumors on draft night was the Orlando Magic. While Magic fans were still drooling over a potential Chris Paul trade, it seems a more realistic deal to wrap their head around could be coming. Multiple sources say that the Magic have discussed a deal with the Washington Wizards that would swap Vince Carter for Kirk Hinrich, Randy Foye, and Al Thornton.

The Wizards first inquired about Carter on Wednesday, initiating the brief Arenas for Carter talks. While the deal couldn't be completed until July, it could be consummated in coming days and may involve a third team. But there are other options on the table for Orlando as well. Otis Smith told reporters in Orlando that he has talked with all but three teams (Milwaukee, Chicago, and Phoenix) in recent days and even mentioned that he had a brief discussion with the Toronto Raptors about Hedo Turkoglu. After selecting Daniel Orton with the twenty-ninth pick, Marcin Gortat now seems more expendable than ever.

Nobody is sure what's next for the Magic but everyone is patiently waiting for news. Most of the players are keeping up with the rumors and hearing of the potential trades, according to text messages, and the message boards are blowing up in anticipation of a trade. The ball is in Otis' court and many are expecting him to make a move.

One final scenario that received significant press heading into the draft was that the Detroit Pistons were looking to move up to DeMarcus Cousins. Sources say that Joe Dumars hasn't given up hope and will make one last run to pry Cousins from Sacramento.

Other players who could be moved shortly include Hedo Turkoglu, Al Jefferson, Michael Beasley, Monta Ellis, Rudy Fernandez, and Leandro Barbosa if the right deal comes along.

If you thought the days leading up to the draft were crazy, the rumors and movement in the coming weeks may just exceed that.

Comment

• bphil
        • Dec 2009

Now that the 2010 draft is over, it's time to start looking toward the 2011 draft. Anyone know what kind of PG talent will be available next year?

Comment

• Smell The Glove
          • Jun 2010

One option for the Pacers will be a sign & trade. Here is the list of soon-to-be free agents PGs. Are there any interesting ones? Felton perhaps? Ridnour? Blake? Is Shaun Livingston healthy? He was playing starter minutes the end of last season.

Point Guards:
          Raymond Felton (Unrestricted)
          Luke Ridnour (Unrestricted)
          Steve Blake (Unrestricted)
          Chris Duhon (Unrestricted)
          C.J. Watson (Restricted)
          Kyle Lowry (Restricted)
          T.J. Ford (player option for '10-'11 - owed 8.5 million)
          J.J. Barea (Team Option - $1.8 million)
          Nate Robinson (Unrestricted)
          Mario Chalmers (Team Option)
          Shaun Livingston (Unrestricted)
          Sergio Rodriquez (Knicks can make QO – likely Unrestricted)
          Earl Watson (Unrestricted)
          Keyon Dooling (Team Option)
          Jordan Farmar (Restricted)
          Will Bynum (Restricted)
          Derek Fisher (Unrestricted)
          Mardy Collins (Restricted)
          Sebastian Telfair (Player Option)
          Marcus Williams (Restricted)
          Speedy Claxton (Unrestricted)
          Anthony Carter (Unrestricted)
          Rafer Alston (Unrestricted)
          Antonio Daniels (Unrestricted)
          Acie Law (Unrestricted)
          Travis Diener (Unrestricted)
          Jannero Pargo (Unrestricted)
          Chris Quinn (Unrestricted)
          Mike James (Unrestricted)
          Kevin Ollie (Unrestricted)
          Jason Hart (Unrestricted)
          Javaris Crittenton (Unrestricted)
          Jason Williams (Unrestricted)
          Sundiata Gaines (Unrestricted)
          Carlos Arroyo (Unrestricted)
          Bobby Brown (Unrestricted)
          Jamaal Tinsley (Unrestricted)
          Lester Hudson (Unrestricted)
          Royal Ivey (Unrestricted)
          Earl Boykins (Unrestricted)
          Patrick Mills (Restricted)
          Anthony Johnson (Unrestricted)
          Chucky Atkins (Unrestricted)

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz0rvDjh18b

Comment

• Trophy
            • Mar 2009

At this point I wouldn't mind bringing in Okafor if it means getting Collison and giving up one of our expiring contracts.

Okafor can play PF and defend the post well which is what we want/need.

Murphy and Rush for Collison and Okafor. Take it or leave it New Orleans!
            Last edited by Trophy; 06-25-2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• tadscout
              Smooth
              • Dec 2005

Sources say that while the Pacers have inquired about several free agent point guards, the team is first looking at what is available in terms of trades. In the days leading up to the draft, Indiana was willing to package Troy Murphy with the tenth overall pick in an effort to get a deal done so the Pacers are serious about finding their point guard of the future. Don't be surprised if Indiana resumes trade talks with several teams and eventually lands their floor general.
              So now sounds like it's time to shop Murph and Rush... (N.O. deal )
              "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Comment

• Smell The Glove
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by bphil
                Now that the 2010 draft is over, it's time to start looking toward the 2011 draft. Anyone know what kind of PG talent will be available next year?

Comment

• Mr_Smith
                  pacer fan since 88-89
                  • May 2009

Its not over yet....theres still a chance to get a point guard in here. I'm positive something will happen since price is hurt and T.J. Ford losing the teams confidence
                  Larry Bird and Ryan Grigson- wasting the talents of Paul George and Andrew Luck

Comment

• McKeyFan
                    Intuition over Integers
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Justin Tyme
                    The Pacers have a serviceable PG, but most just don't want him rendering his services.
                    No, we have a serviceable mouseketeer shooting guard.
                    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• Ozwalt72
                      • Jun 2009

Larry Bird walks through the door to Mysterious GM A.

"Hi there, we are interested in Point Guard A."

Other GM: "How do I know you are serious?"

/Larry leans forward with a serious look and pulls out a Troy Murphy trading card. "We're bringin the big guns."

*silence as larry stares into the eyes of this GM, and toward the end of the moment his serious look slowly becomes his goofy press conference smile.
                      "man, PG has been really good."

Comment

• pizza guy
                        The Dude Abides
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Trophy
                        At this point I wouldn't mind bringing in Okafor if it means getting Collison and giving up one of our expiring contracts.

Okafor can play PF and defend the post well which is what we want/need.

Murphy and Rush for Collison and Okafor. Take it or leave it New Orleans!
                        I don't think I can explain how quickly I'd make this deal.

--pizza
                        It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Comment

• Day-V
                          Shooting for the Moon
                          • Mar 2010

Why is everyone upset we don't have a Point Guard?
                          Because people always have to have something to b*tch about.

Comment

• Psyren
                            Batman's New Side Kick
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Smell The Glove
                            One option for the Pacers will be a sign & trade. Here is the list of soon-to-be free agents PGs. Are there any interesting ones? Felton perhaps? Ridnour? Blake? Is Shaun Livingston healthy? He was playing starter minutes the end of last season.

Point Guards:
                            Raymond Felton (Unrestricted)
                            Luke Ridnour (Unrestricted)
                            Steve Blake (Unrestricted)
                            Chris Duhon (Unrestricted)
                            C.J. Watson (Restricted)
                            Kyle Lowry (Restricted)
                            T.J. Ford (player option for '10-'11 - owed 8.5 million)
                            J.J. Barea (Team Option - $1.8 million)
                            Nate Robinson (Unrestricted)
                            Mario Chalmers (Team Option)
                            Shaun Livingston (Unrestricted)
                            Sergio Rodriquez (Knicks can make QO – likely Unrestricted)
                            Earl Watson (Unrestricted)
                            Keyon Dooling (Team Option)
                            Jordan Farmar (Restricted)
                            Will Bynum (Restricted)
                            Derek Fisher (Unrestricted)
                            Mardy Collins (Restricted)
                            Sebastian Telfair (Player Option)
                            Marcus Williams (Restricted)
                            Speedy Claxton (Unrestricted)
                            Anthony Carter (Unrestricted)
                            Antonio Daniels (Unrestricted)
                            Acie Law (Unrestricted)
                            Travis Diener (Unrestricted)
                            Jannero Pargo (Unrestricted)
                            Chris Quinn (Unrestricted)
                            Mike James (Unrestricted)
                            Kevin Ollie (Unrestricted)
                            Jason Hart (Unrestricted)
                            Javaris Crittenton (Unrestricted)
                            Jason Williams (Unrestricted)
                            Sundiata Gaines (Unrestricted)
                            Carlos Arroyo (Unrestricted)
                            Bobby Brown (Unrestricted)
                            Jamaal Tinsley (Unrestricted)
                            Lester Hudson (Unrestricted)
                            Royal Ivey (Unrestricted)
                            Earl Boykins (Unrestricted)
                            Patrick Mills (Restricted)
                            Anthony Johnson (Unrestricted)
                            Chucky Atkins (Unrestricted)

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz0rvDjh18b
                            The 4 that I highlighted would be the ones I'd like to have the most. I don't know if they're all realistic, but here it goes.

I can't say Felton is super high on my list, but if a sign in trade doesn't come along, I wouldn't mind giving Felton a shot.

Nate Robinson is a guy I've liked for a while now. He's not so much a traditional point guard, and shoots too much. Ok, so what if he's not at all what we need? I like him

Shaun Livingston played very well last year. Yes, he's injury prone. But he really can play, and last year proved it, although the Wiz may pick him back up.

And to end it, Earl Watson. He was more than decent last year, and I thought did a great job running the team as a vet. He's no long term solution, but I wouldn't mind having him back.
                            Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Comment

• Sparhawk
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Day-V
                              Because people always have to have something to b*tch about.
                              Of course. We would be bored otherwise.
                              First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

Comment

• jeffg-body
                                • Jul 2007

I don't understand as well. Just because the P's didn't land their PG at the draft means very little. S&T seems the best option right now, especially with our expirings. I would really push hard for a young PG such as Lawson or another PG with potential. As long as Hibbert and Danny are never included in that trade I would be ok.

On the other hand, if we could pry possibly a Derek Fisher or even Andre Miller from their prospective teams to be a leader for a year or two and draft the PG we need in the next draft we'd be good.

Comment

Working...