Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Tonight's rotation was the last straw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tonight's rotation was the last straw

here's my view:
    i would much prefer to see a vet-heavy lineup against mid-pack and lower teams. the reason is i believe that it gives us the best chance to lose. playing the younger guys more gives the team a different look and can throw off the lesser teams and force them into doing stuff they may not be comfortable with. therefore, last night's rotation was what i also wanted to see.

i know many want to see more time for the young guns but like i stated above, that can be a bit risky. stick with known quantities and the tank moves forward. change that fuel mixture and you may cause the tank to sputter and stall.

against the better and elite teams- well, they will likely pull so far ahead by the end of the 1st or mid 2nd qtr that the younger guys will likely see more pt. therefore, i say to job- keep it up, you may actually believe the vet-heavy rotation is the way to win but you are in small company. but since the season was lost long ago, full steam ahead!
    i want to see a top 5 pick in the draft and the vet-heavy lineup gives us the best chance to 'win' so to speak.

Comment

Screw the ping pong balls. I say play the young players win or lose. I cannot root for veterans just because they give us the best chance to lose. I want us to win. And I don't need to see this cast of veterans anymore. Just play the youngsters. If they start winning and mess up our chances in the lottery, so be it. That experience may help them in the following years, especially confidence-wise. Sorry that I am going against the grain here, but I HATE to lose anytime.

Comment

I'm, staying out of this discussion. I did find the plus/minus from last night rather interesting for those of you who think that carries any weight at all

Comment

We're deliberately tanking. Honestly, I would be more mentally at ease if WE WERE TANKING, then to believe that JOB TRULY BELIEVES he's "coaching" this team. For further examples, watch the final 6 minutes of the Bulls game when JOB took out the starters when we were still within "striking distance" of making a comeback.

I REALLY HOPE this is an effort to get a Top 5 draft pick this summer, and then JOB coaches this team to a 50-32 record next season.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Comment

Originally posted by sportfireman View Post
            So we're changing the title of this thread to Bucks/Pacers post game thread?
            Oh and where's all the name calling? Just wondering
            Really?!?
            Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 02-26-2010, 09:14 AM.
            ...Still "flying casual"
            @roaminggnome74

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
              I have been trying to avoid this thread all morning - why should I even read it

OK have only read the very first part of the first post in this thread and I want to say I think all of us need a break from this team, in fact it would do us all good if the season ended right now
              Agreed.

Guess what? Baseball starts in a little over a month. That is a great way to get away from Pacers Basketball.

Comment

I hardly read this board anymore - it is more depressing than the games.

I don't watch the games either - i just check the box scores in the morning.

I am at peace with it. This season is over, but finally FINALLY I am happy we will get a top 5 draft pick. In my mind, this will make the struggles worth it. I am looking forward to next year.

Comment

I'm, staying out of this discussion. I did find the plus/minus from last night rather interesting for those of you who think that carries any weight at all
                  Well no, you really aren't staying out of the discussion at all with the addition of the plus/minus comment. Looking at the box score, sure, I can see where that would make you smile.

Rush: +6
                  Granger: +7
                  Murphy: +8
                  Ford: +10
                  Watson: -8
                  Dunleavy: -7
                  Hibbert: -7
                  Head: -4
                  D. Jones: -14
                  S. Jones: -1
                  McRoberts: DNP-CD
                  Price: DNP-CD

JOB must know what he's doing, just look at the vets plus/minus numbers compared to the bench!

http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusmi...20&team=Pacers

Just look at the 5-man combinations that were used last night. He literally never once used a lineup with 2 bigs. NOT ONCE!!! The statistically worst lineup used: Watson, Head, D. Jones, Dunleavy, and Hibbert finished the game at -10 in 3:34. So you have Hibbert paired with Dunleavy and D. Jones in the front court. Talk about setting your players up for failure.

He used only two different combinations for more than 5 minutes. The starting group of Watson, Ford, Rush, Granger, and Murphy played 17:13 and finished with a +8. The other group? Watson, Ford, Dunleavy, Granger, and Murphy played 6:59 and finished -4.

So he played his veteran starters (except Rush) for 17+ minutes. He switched Rush for Dunleavy and played them for another 7 minutes, and Price and McRoberts get DNP's. That's fantastic. I don't believe this for a second, as I think JOB is just that stupid, but considering the lineups he trotted out there, one has to consider the possibility that maybe the tank really is in.

Oh and Bruno...that youth movement thing? Consider it officially stalled.
                  Last edited by WetBob; 02-26-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WetBob View Post
                    Well no, you really aren't staying out of the discussion at all with the addition of the plus/minus comment. Looking at the box score, sure, I can see where that would make you smile.
                    I honestly don't think the plus/minus carries any weight, I don't think it is worth anything - doesn't tell me a thing. But I know several here like it or have used it to disprove my arguments. And JOB never used a lineup with two big guys because he thought the smaller lineup gave the Pacers the best chance to win

I will say this: If I am Bird and if I want to lose as many games the rest of the season as we can, then the last thing I do right now is to change coaches. With any new coach there is a honeymoon - and I do mean any new coach.

Another thing, the lineup was strange last night, but overall I thought the Pacers didn't play badly, reading some of the posts in this thread you would think the Pacers lost every quarter by 20 points. if I was so inclined I could make a decent argument that the lineup used last night gave us the best chance of winning the game. And yes Bogout has abused Roy this season
                    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-26-2010, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mildlysane View Post
                      Screw the ping pong balls. I say play the young players win or lose. I cannot root for veterans just because they give us the best chance to lose. I want us to win. And I don't need to see this cast of veterans anymore. Just play the youngsters. If they start winning and mess up our chances in the lottery, so be it. That experience may help them in the following years, especially confidence-wise. Sorry that I am going against the grain here, but I HATE to lose anytime.
                      i understand that you hate to lose anytime. hell, this season and several before that have not been much fun to witness. however that simple truth is that all these remaining games are meaningless. i do not see how winning now can help at all. a team with players of increased confidence that is out of the playoffs is still a team out of the playoffs no matter how you look at it. with all the losses i don't see how you can build anyone's confidence at this point. it is over. back when the was early season optimism, i wanted to win every game but now that there is no threat of making any meaningful impact, i don't mind so much.
                      i say win when it matters. now i see winning is the enemy. i do not want another mid range pick. i want a shot at something more since this team does not have the allure or weather of hollywood or southbeach. we at least have a shot at a better future with a better draft spot. not so much with yet another mid pick. currently, the best way to have a shot to win more in the future is with a pick since we have no room to pick up real impact players. i will take that over a roster of lesser talent level that may have more confidence.
                      but anyway- i understand your frustration. i was once in a similar mindset. sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better and that's where i am.

Comment

Originally posted by d_c View Post
                        FWIW, Jim O'brien beat Isiah in the playoffs with a less talented, lower seeded team.
                        I think JOB can be a good coach (not to be confused with a championship level coach) if he's surrounded with his type of players. I think the biggest problem is that there's some communication problems between the coach and the front office. What JOB needs is one guy who is really good at drive and kick (Pierce, AI), and about three guys who can hit the open 3 (Korver, Battie, Fatoine, etc.). Also, these same players also need to play very solid team defense at the other end.

The front office seems to have gone out and tried to address these needs, but they've gotten guys who are good at one aspect of that trifecta, not all three. For instance, Troy is the Battie clone, except that Battie played respectable post defense and would also run the floor for a dunk. Dantay is good on defense, but really isn't a shooter, and doesn't drive and pass well. Finally, I think they envisioned Danny or TJ being the penetrator, and neither has lived up to that role.

In conclusion, I think JOB can be a good coach, but he's got to have a certain type of line-up, and he won't change his style to suit his players. That's the mark of a very good coach as opposed to just a good one. Carlisle, for instance, would have had Danny dumping it into Roy and hoping for the double, or would have been using the PnR a lot more with TJ and Troy, and would have structured the defense so our wings gamble for more steals, since our post defense and perimeter defense is so bad.

Alas, there's always next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
                          I never in my life thought I would say this but I am going to go ahead and say it now.

Isiah Thomas was a better coach.
                          I have been thinking this for quite a while now.

Comment

I honestly don't think the plus/minus carries any weight, I don't think it is worth anything - doesn't tell me a thing. But I know several here like it or have used it to disprove my arguments. And JOB never used a lineup with two big guys because he thought the smaller lineup gave the Pacers the best chance to win

I will say this: If I am Bird and if I want to lose as many games the rest of the season as we can, then the last thing I do right now is to change coaches. With any new coach there is a honeymoon - and I do mean any new coach.

Another thing, the lineup was strange last night, but overall I thought the Pacers didn't play badly, reading some of the posts in this thread you would think the Pacers lost every quarter by 20 points. if I was so inclined I could make a decent argument that the lineup used last night gave us the best chance of winning the game. And yes Bogout has abused Roy this season
                            You say "JOB never used a lineup with two big guys because he thought the smaller lineup gave the Pacers the best chance to win" as a defense of JOB?

This team is 19-39, and it's not like the small lineup is a new thing. Regardless though, who cares about winning when you're 20 games below .500? Play the youth! If they win, great. If Bogut abuses Roy and they lose, great.

All JOB is doing by continuing to play the "rotation" he is playing, is alienating the few of us remaining who actually care.

Comment

Assuming that we have a coach whose statements virtually everyone considers to be less trustworthy than any used car salesman we have ever run across, and that the players have alternately played hard and been shut down by our coach, or gotten discouraged by horribly nonsensical rotations and lack of PT for the players who emerged early in the season during "the streak" (which I still think was purely accidental and due to circumstance), and an overall strategy that is so devoid of fundamental basketball strategy that it is laughable and makes the team virtually unwatchable and has turned this board of the team's staunchest fanbase into a nearly constant state of turmoil that I doubt has ever happened in its existence...

Then, to top it all off, our coach PRAISES players publicly before sitting them, Bird double speaks and plays bad cop and expresses disappointment in the players while supporting the coach after giving him an extension, and lastly Simon expresses full support for Bird in the face of everything, even during STH renewal time (while raising ticket prices in such a way that forces consumption of concessions, merchandise, or more tickets to try to bridge the gap for who knows what reason)...

With these things in mind, from a franchise that not that many years ago was considered one of the BEST RUN franchises in the NBA, it would not be a stretch to believe that we have been tanking, and may have been since O'B got here. Maybe we are almost the "smartest guys in the room" at this point due to the totally "bazzackward" methods we have employed that might have lead to plausible deniability among casual fans and the media about tanking.

Either the Pacers are trying to get rid of as many of its core fans as possible in preparation for a move or for even more favorable negotiations with the city due to its poor gate receipts (which will continue next year with likely fewer STH's due to the increase and requirement for giving even more deals to the general public to save face with advertisers), or we hopefully are in full tank mode.

Regardless, what we are doing on the floor is difficult to watch at best, and virtually unwatchable for a lot of people who are hard core fans of basketball who appreciate the basketball that was played by the Pacers during most of the streak of successfully making the playoffs 16 out of 17 years, as well as hardnosed play in general no matter what team it is.

I just hope enough of us actually care and are around when whatever is going on finally is brought to a merciful and long overdue conclusion.

Comment

OK. I clearly have a different point of view from most people, as I think extra ping pong balls in the lottery aren't worth the price of a ping pong ball to this team. We WILL be drafting in the worst possible position, meaning no matter where we finish in the bottom 3 we will be drafting no better than 4th. Luck is NOT an option.

I am upset at JOB. Now, for the most part, he was RIGHT about Hibbert vs. Bogut. Bogut got 15 (close to his season average) instead of what he got against Hibbert the last two times (31 and 21). I think it was a good strategy. UNTIL...

Bogut goes out with his 4th foul in the 3rd quarter. Roy is ready to come back in - even pulls off his warmup shirt - and JOB substitutes...

Solomon Jones, with Dahntay coming in for Danny.

Can I get a ?

OK, so later in the game he goes ahead and puts Roy in against Bogut - fine, give him the experience, but why not go ahead and let him keep doing what he was already doing and let him actually score when Bogut was off the floor?

This was a winnable game, and it frustrates me that we can't manage to do it.

I'm at the point where I want to offer Luke Ridnour candy and cookies to come play for us so we have SOMEONE who can hit a shot while in motion.

I also don't understand why you don't give at least a few minutes to your deeper bench when you are coming off a back-to-back? Especially when it became clear the legs were pretty well gone after the rush in the 4th quarter.

I've tried to defend JOB against the hyperbole, but I really can't do it any more. I still don't think he's Satan, nor do I go as far as Peck and say he's worse than Isiah (IT had better players, that masks a lot of rotation problems). However, O'Brien's inconsistency (play Hibbert when Bogut isn't on the floor ... NO WE WON'T! GOTCHA!) has pushed me over the edge.
                                BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                                Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

Working...
                                X