Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

Originally posted by Hicks View Post
    Someone was saying that allegedly the Timberwolves are targeting Daye at #18. That might explain the green room and would avoid us being the ones to take him. I hope that's the case. I'm not too impressed right away with this kid.
    don't worry about it Hicks, I don't think Larry would take Daye, like I said in another post Larry was talking at 1260am and said that he is not high in taking a one year player, he said he likes players with more experience and not that young.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

I think Memphis takes Harden and I think its a solid choice. Mayo can be the primary ball handler and let Harden and Gay crush from the wings. Harden isn't that shabby on defense and I've really warmed up to his game. Compared to these other guys he stands out as a legit talent.

I hated his tourney performance, but its still just 2 games. A slightly better Steve Smith vs a slightly worse Dikembe (young)?

Landry vs Blair - you take Landry

If Jennings falls to the Pacers (he won't) it would be criminal to pass on him.

Without a doubt the Pacers want to trade up to #5 for Tyreke who would fit the bill as big PG that Larry wants, but also a scoring PG to fit JOB's system. He's got smooth handles so it's not a bad move. I wonder what the cost would be however.

Comment

I just got the funny feeling that Daye is our guy.....

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Austin-Daye-1316/

Kind of our future PF in a Rashard Lewis style.
        No way, no interest at all IMO.

I wanted Rush last year, Bird wanted Rush last year, so it's not like my taste ran that far off previously. I just think when you watch Daye you see zilch of real interest other than yet another big who spots up outside.

As I told Gnome, the star on that team was Pargo, he made things happen. Daye was 2nd fiddle quite often. And yet Pargo is nowhere to be found and Daye is top 15? I strongly doubt it.

I think when you see the mocks swing all over the place for a month and then start to settle back toward where they were what you are really seeing is the massive war of misinformation these teams play, and on top of that the agents play as well in an attempt to increase the urgency to draft their client and get a higher slotted salary.

In short, there's a lot of hype that's clearly BS and a lot of guys running up the board suddenly as decoys for who teams really want. I would really be surprised if any team wanted Daye more than Blair or Clark or even Hansbrough.

Comment

No way we take Daye. Too many questions surrounding him and he isn't someone the fanbase could get behind IMO. If we could trade back to get Chicago's 2 picks and somehow get Tyrus Thomas, that would be a hell of a deal. I think we have the tools to make it happen. As long as Jennings or Holiday or even Hill don't fall to us, that is where we should be putting our efforts on draft day.
          Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
            Without a doubt the Pacers want to trade up to #5 for Tyreke who would fit the bill as big PG that Larry wants, but also a scoring PG to fit JOB's system. He's got smooth handles so it's not a bad move. I wonder what the cost would be however.
            We already saw what it costs: a prospect on the level of Randy Foye.

Comment

Someone was saying that allegedly the Timberwolves are targeting Daye at #18. That might explain the green room and would avoid us being the ones to take him. I hope that's the case. I'm not too impressed right away with this kid.
              A guy being projected as a #18 pick wouldn't get invited to the green room. That wouldn't explain it. Maybe all the execs are just ranking him up there hoping somebody reaches for him early. Probably one of those cases where every person is hoping the guy next takes the plunge.

Comment

Originally posted by d_c View Post
                A guy being projected as a #18 pick wouldn't get invited to the green room. That wouldn't explain it. Maybe all the execs are just ranking him up there hoping somebody reaches for him early. Probably one of those cases where every person is hoping the guy next takes the plunge.
                Seriously?

Comment

Seriously?
                  No, not seriously. I'm just guessing here. As I understand it right now, the Green Room list is 15 players long. If Daye is on the list, then I don't think it's necessarily based on the #18 pick projection.

Comment

ESPN 6.1 update is out, anyone know what the changes were? Are the Pacers still listed with Blair?

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ckDraft-090624

Chad 6.1

Has us taking Blair, but check out Chicago at 16...It's James Johnson...I could see both picks being right, but switching teams.

Also, Jennings plummets to 19, and TWill to NJ at 11, and Hansbrough to Utah @ 20.

With just a day to go until the 2009 NBA Draft, it's on.

NBA draft: Latest buzz

For all the latest draft rumors and trade talk, click here. Insider
                      NBA teams are done with workouts and they're finally starting to firm up their draft boards.

But with so much uncertainty and so much trade talk, things are still fluid for any number of teams.

The Memphis Grizzlies, New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls and other teams are talking about trades involving draft picks, and Tuesday night, we had the first big trade that will impact the draft, with the Minnesota Timberwolves sending Randy Foye and Mike Miller to the Washington Wizards for the No. 5 pick and change.

So while we have a good feel of how the teams' draft boards are shaping up, who they'll eventually be able to take is still very much up in the air.

Said one prominent NBA GM: "The only thing I can predict about this draft is that it will be one of the most unpredictable in draft history."

Here's our latest take, after talking to numerous NBA team sources, about how the draft might play out on Thursday:

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

L.A. Clippers

Blake Griffin
                      Position: PF
                      Height: 6-10
                      Weight: 248 pounds
                      School: Oklahoma

Analysis: For the past several years, we've been blessed with at least a little suspense when it comes to who will be the No. 1 pick. Not this year. Griffin is going to be a Clipper. Sources around the league say trade talks with the Clippers are virtually nonexistent when it comes to Griffin. Instead, the Clippers are focusing on finding a new home for Chris Kaman or Zach Randolph.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Memphis

Hasheem Thabeet
                      Position: C
                      Height: 7-3
                      Weight: 267
                      School: Connecticut

Analysis: There still is a lot of talk about the Grizzlies trading this pick. Minnesota has been the hottest suitor for the pick, and now that the Wolves have both the fifth and sixth picks, they have the goods to move up to No. 2. But is sounds like the Wolves want to keep both picks, meaning that the Grizzlies apparently have lost what might have been their best trade partner.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Oklahoma City

Ricky Rubio
                      Position: PG
                      Height: 6-5
                      Weight: 180

Analysis: Thunder GM Sam Presti flew to L.A. on Saturday to talk to Rubio. He also got a chance to review Rubio's physical and contract -- two important pieces of the puzzle for whoever drafts him.

Then, on Sunday, he met with James Harden and Hasheem Thabeet in L.A. And just to make things even more confusing, we hear Presti is now hot for Stephen Curry.

Whom will the Thunder draft? I think this one is going down to the wire. I know Presti is a fan of all four players -- Rubio and Thabeet have the upside, and Harden and Curry are the better fits. If Presti can get a couple of assets in return for the No. 3 pick, he won't be afraid to pull the trigger on a trade, either.

If the Thunder keep the pick, my brain says Harden is a perfect fit in Oklahoma City next to Russell Westbrook. The scuttle is that Curry is the hot name in the Thunder's draft war room. And a few think Thabeet's size will win the day. But I have to believe that Rubio, whom we've had here since the night of the lottery, will end up in OKC.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Sacramento

Tyreke Evans
                      Position: SG
                      Weight: 220
                      School: Memphis

Analysis: The Kings are all over the place. One minute they are thinking Jonny Flynn. The next, Ricky Rubio. Then Tyreke Evans. And the latest hot name in Sacramento is Curry. So forgive me when I say I have no idea who the Kings are taking. Sources say that the Kings are pretty split between the four. Flynn brings vocal leadership, athleticism and an NBA ready body to the table. Rubio is less ready for the NBA physically, but he's a purer point guard who understands the game better than anyone else in the draft. Evans isn't a true point, but the Kings love his strength, toughness and size, especially since his second workout. Curry is the wild card -- he's a great shooter who would fit nicely in the backcourt next to Kevin Martin, but he wouldn't give them a defensive presence.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota (via Washington)

James Harden
                      Weight: 222
                      School: Arizona State

Analysis: The Timberwolves have reached a deal for this pick, as noted above, and now have the No. 5 and No. 6 pick. They're hoping to grab two of these three players: Ricky Rubio, Hasheem Thabeet and Tyreke Evans. But we have all three of those players off the board. In that case, they're willing to settle for James Harden and Stephen Curry. Then again, to get what it wants, Minnesota may be ready to make further moves. While the Wolves say they won't trade both 5 and 6 to move up to No. 2, they might be willing to move 5 and 18 to move up to 2 or 3 in the draft.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota

Stephen Curry
                      Height: 6-3
                      Weight: 181
                      School: Davidson

Analysis: The Wolves really need help at center and point guard, and if Thabeet is gone, there won't be a center worth taking at No. 6.

Curry can play point guard, and he would give them leadership along with the marksmanship they need with Mike Miller leaving. Curry's maturity, dead-eye shooting and name recognition would make him a smart pick for the Wolves if he's still on the board.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Golden State

Jordan Hill
                      Weight: 232
                      School: Arizona
                      Analysis: The Warriors don't have a traditional point guard, and they'll have at least three to choose from here, including Jonny Flynn, Brandon Jennings and Jrue Holiday.

The problem for the Warriors is that they have a young player, Monta Ellis, who thinks he's a point guard and a coach, Don Nelson, who appears to be committed to giving Ellis a shot at running the point.

That means that even though Flynn, Jennings and Holiday all are on the board here, the Warriors could pass on all three.

I think that puts Hill strongly in play here. He's a mobile big man, which Nellie likes, and he's got a great motor. It wouldn't shock me to see Golden State move Brandan Wright this summer, and if it does, Hill fits right in.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New York

Jrue Holiday
                      Height: 6-4
                      Weight: 199
                      School: UCLA

Analysis: The Knicks will be disappointed if Stephen Curry is off the board, but the truth is, they have needs everywhere.

With David Lee hitting restricted free agency this summer, Hill would be a perfect fit for New York at the 4. If he's available for New York, I think he'll go ahead of any of the point guards not named Rubio or Curry.

If Hill is gone, as he is in this mock draft, they'll likely be drafting for a point guard and deciding between two young, inexperienced guards with terrific upside: Brandon Jennings and Jrue Holiday. Neither had a great season, but each has great potential.

Their New York workouts sent mixed signals. Jennings held his own in a workout with Evans, while Holiday got overshadowed a bit by Curry and Gerald Henderson in his workout. But Holiday came back in for a second workout on Monday and was much more impressive.

In the end, I think the Knicks will opt for Holiday's size and versatility over Jennings' sizzle.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Toronto

DeMar DeRozan
                      Height: 6-6
                      Weight: 211
                      School: USC

Analysis: The Raptors have some needs on the wing since Anthony Parker and Shawn Marion are hitting free agency. DeRozan is one of the most gifted players in the draft, and his strong play at the end of the season combined with a confident performance at the combine could push him even higher than No. 9. But if he's here, sources say the Raptors won't pass.

If DeRozan is gone, they'll decide between Duke's Henderson and Holiday, with Holiday in the lead. In fact, one source close to the Raptors insisted Sunday that it was Holiday, not DeRozan, whom the Raptors would select in this scenario. We'll be watching that one closely.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Milwaukee

Jonny Flynn
                      Height: 6-1
                      Weight: 196
                      School: Syracuse

Analysis: The Bucks made a big move on Tuesday when they traded Richard Jefferson to the Spurs, but it shouldn't change their draft strategy. They probably can't afford to keep both Charlie Villaneuva and Ramon Sessions and will likely opt to resign Villanueva first.

If they might lose Sessions, the Bucks will need to draft a point guard, and the choice might come down to Jonny Flynn, Jeff Teague and Brandon Jennings. The Bucks like all three, but I think Flynn would be the choice here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Jersey

Terrence Williams
                      Height: 6-6
                      Weight: 213
                      School: Louisville

Analysis: On Tuesday, Williams skipped a workout with the Nets, citing an ankle injury. But the truth is that apparently the Bobcats promised Williams they'd take him at No. 12 if he was on the board.

The Nets wanted to see him work out, but it probably doesn't matter. While they also like Gerald Henderson and Tyler Hansbrough, it sounds like they are closing in on Williams as their guy.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Charlotte

Gerald Henderson
                      Weight: 215
                      School: Duke

Analysis: Last week I said I thought it was close to a sure thing that Gerald Henderson would be the pick here. But Terrence Williams came in for a workout and blew Charlotte coach Larry Brown away. Williams and Henderson squared off in a second workout on Monday and Williams walked away the winner.

But we're projecting that New Jersey drafts Williams at No. 11, so it still looks like the Bobcats will scoop up Henderson at No. 12.

Other possibilities: Earl Clark, B.J. Mullens or trading away this pick.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Indiana

DeJuan Blair
                      Height: 6-7
                      Weight: 277
                      School: Pittsburgh
                      Analysis: The Pacers have been on the hunt for a point guard and will snatch up either Holiday or Flynn if he falls this far. If neither does, the Pacers will have a tough decision between going big or taking one of the point guards in the next tier.

If they go big, both Blair and Hansbrough are in the mix. The Pacers, like a lot of teams, have had concerns about Blair's knees, but Blair's circle has been pretty proactive the past few days with an avalanche of documents, MRIs and medical opinions that all state Blair's knees should hold up fine.

If they go point guard, I think it will be a dogfight between Teague, Eric Maynor, Lawson and Jennings. All four have been impressive at workouts for the Pacers. Maynor and Lawson are the most ready. Teague and Jennings have the upside.

For now, it appears Blair has moved back into the mix in Indiana. He fills a big need at the 4, and if he's going to be healthy, he deserves to go this high.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Phoenix

Earl Clark
                      Position: SF
                      Weight: 226
                      School: Louisville

Analysis:The Suns could go in a lot of directions, depending on where GM Steve Kerr decides to take the team.

There's been a lot of talk about Earl Clark, James Johnson and B.J. Mullens here. Of the three, it sounds like Clark has the most momentum right now, with his versatility being a perfect fit in the Suns' system.

Or Phoenix could be trading this pick -- a number of teams are trying to get into the lottery and this could be the bait.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Detroit

Austin Daye
                      Height: 6-11
                      Weight: 192
                      School: Gonzaga

Analysis: The Pistons will begin their summer makeover in the draft. They'd love to add a dominant low-post scorer, but in lieu of that, they'll have to settle for choosing between two upside guys: Earl Clark and Austin Daye.

Clark could be the second coming of Lamar Odom if he's willing to put in the work. The versatile forward can play the 3 and the 4 and is amazing in transition, an excellent rebounder and an emerging shooter. And he has the capability (albeit not always the inclination) to play great defense. But there are a few questions about his background that might hurt him.

Daye is one of the most skilled players in the draft -- sort of a 6-foot-11 version of Tayshaun Prince. He's super skinny, but he can really shoot the rock. Like Clark, he is inconsistent but has major upside.

I think Daye has moved into the lead here based on both his upside and his squeaky clean background.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Chicago

James Johnson
                      Height: 6-8
                      Weight: 258
                      School: Wake Forest
                      Analysis: The Bulls have been working the phones this week trying to move up in the draft.

They've talked to the Nets, Bobcats and Pacers about swapping the 16th and 26th picks to move up a few spots.

Who are they after? I've heard everything from Johnson to Blair to Hansbrough to Williams to Mullens here. To be honest, I can't get a terrific handle on which way they are leaning. In this scenario, Williams and Blair are gone, which leaves Johnson, Mullens and Hansbrough.

Hansbrough is the most NBA ready. Mullens has the most upside. Johnson is somewhere in between. I'm not sure exactly how Johnson fits in Chicago with Luol Deng on one side and Tyrus Thomas on the other, but there's no question about his upside.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

Ty Lawson
                      Height: 6-1
                      Weight: 199
                      School: North Carolina
                      Analysis: With Andre Miller hitting free agency this summer, look for the Sixers to address the point guard position. Lou Williams is nice but not really a lead guard.

Maynor, Lawson and Teague all are in the mix here ... as are Williams, Henderson and Sam Young.

Maynor would give Philly the total package as one of the most NBA-ready players in the draft. Lawson had the best season of any of the point guards and can really play in an up-tempo style. Teague also will get a look here, but he's more of a combo guard, and the Sixers have that in Williams.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota (from Miami)

B.J. Mullens
                      Position: C
                      Height: 7-1
                      Weight: 258
                      School: Ohio State

Analysis: I'm not sure whether the Wolves will keep this pick, and there are a number of teams that seem to be hot for Mullens that would be willing to trade for it. If the Wolves keep it, Mullens could fill a big hole in the paint in the long term.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Atlanta

Brandon Jennings
                      Height: 6-2
                      Weight: 165

Analysis: I just don't know where to put Jennings right now. If the Knicks pass on him at No. 8 and the Bucks pass at No. 10, he could be in for a draft-day slide.

The Hawks need a point guard of the future and Jennings would be a terrific pick here, much like grabbing Josh Smith at No. 17 five years ago.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Utah

Tyler Hansbrough
                      Weight: 234
                      School: North Carolina
                      Analysis: The Jazz and Hansbrough seem like a match made in heaven. If Hansbrough falls this far (he's getting a look at 11, 13, 16 and 19), I don't see them passing on him. With Carlos Boozer heading out the door, they need more toughness in the paint. But if he's off the board, they likely will be deciding among Austin Daye, Young and Toney Douglas.

Young is the type of tough veteran the Jazz love. He is ready to step in and play right now, and would give them minutes at both the 2 and the 3.

Douglas is the type of combo guard the Jazz currently lack. He shoots, plays defense and could be a credible backup at both positions for Utah.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Orleans

Sam Young
                      Weight: 223
                      School: Pittsburgh

Analysis: Young is one of the most NBA-ready players in the draft.

He has size and strength and was super productive at Pitt the past two years. Most importantly for New Orleans, he can come in and contribute right away.

Daye, Darren Collison, Chase Budinger, Taj Gibson and Derrick Brown also are in the mix.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Dallas

Jeff Teague
                      Weight: 175
                      School: Wake Forest
                      Analysis: This would be a pretty big slide for Teague, who thought his floor was No. 19. Actually, he could go as high as No. 10, so his range is pretty big.

Dallas would have to be doing back flips to get him here, and, as it happens, he's got some Devin Harris in his game.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Sacramento
                      (via Houston)

Omri Casspi
                      Height: 6-9
                      Weight: 211

Analysis:The Kings need toughness in the worst way and Casspi can really deliver on that. He's not the most skilled player in the draft, but few players possess his grit. As an added bonus for Sacramento, they don't have to pay him to come over yet.e a number of teams targeting this pick right now via trade ... so Memphis might not have it on draft night.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Portland

Eric Maynor
                      Height: 6-3
                      Weight: 164
                      School: VCU

Analysis: This would be a pretty big slide for Maynor, who could go as high as No. 13. But with so many point guards on the board, in this scenario he slides a bit and Kevin Pritchard picks up another home run in the draft.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Oklahoma City
                      (via San Antonio)

Chase Budinger
                      Weight: 206
                      School: Arizona
                      Analysis: The Thunder would love to get their hands on a legitimate center, but there won't be anyone worth gambling on at this point in the draft. If the team doesn't address its needs at the 2 earlier in the draft, Budinger could be an option. With his shooting ability, he would be a nice complement in the backcourt to Russell Westbrook.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Chicago
                      (via Denver)

Toney Douglas
                      Weight: 184
                      School: Florida State
                      Analysis: Douglas would be an insurance policy should Ben Gordon bolt this summer. He's not as talented a shooter, but he's good enough to play both backcourt positions in Chicago, and his defense would earn him minutes right from the get-go.

If the Bulls trade this pick ... who knows? Although a lot of teams trying to buy into the late first round love Casspi.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Memphis
                      (via Orlando)

DaJuan Summers
                      Weight: 243
                      School: Georgetown

Analysis: The Grizzlies lack size on their front line, and Summers' ability to play both 3 and 4 would come in very handy with Hakim Warrick hitting free agency. At this point in the draft, he'd be a steal.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota
                      (via Boston)

Jonas Jerebko
                      Weight: 220

Analysis: It seems doubtful the Wolves would keep three rookies on their roster this season, which gives them an interesting choice of international players. Casspi would be an obvious choice. He is tough and physical and can keep developing overseas. Victor Claver is the other. But word is Jerebko from Sweden is the top choice at the moment.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

L.A. Lakers

Darren Collison
                      Weight: 166
                      School: UCLA

Analysis: Collison is a small guard, something Phil Jackson isn't a big fan of. But he is super fast, has a smooth jumper and can get after it defensively. With Derek Fisher winding down his career, he's worth a gamble here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Cleveland

Derrick Brown
                      Weight: 225
                      School: Xavier

Analysis: The Cavs could lose both Ben Wallace and Anderson Varejao this summer. And after getting bested by the Magic, their need for some athletic 4s who can guard players on the perimeter is paramount.

DeMarre Carroll is another real possibility here.

Comment

Chad Ford's Latest Buzz:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...e=09DraftBuzz2

POSTED: June 24 -- 1:18 a.m. ET

Chad Ford: The NBA trading frenzy that normally coincides with draft week got off to a hot start on Tuesday with two huge trades. The Bucks traded Richard Jefferson to the Spurs for cap relief and the Wolves agreed to trade Randy Foye and Mike Miller to the Wizards for the No. 5 pick and a bunch of players with undesirable contracts.

How do the deals affect the draft?

For the Bucks, probably very little. This deal gave them some flexibility to re-sign one of their restricted free agents -- either Charlie Villanueva or Ramon Sessions. From what I can gather, the emphasis will be on Villanueva.

Why? The draft has something to do with it. The Bucks have several point guard prospects they like at No. 10. The only big guy they've looked at hard is DeJuan Blair, but that's too high for Blair to go.

I think they'll take either Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday or Jeff Teague here and go into the summer with a solid rebuilding base of talented young players including Andrew Bogut, Joe Alexander and Villanueva. It isn't a championship contender, but it's a start.

For the Spurs, not at all. They don't have a first-round pick anyway.

The Wolves are now the power players in the draft, ith picks 5, 6, 18, 28, 45 and 47. The question is, what will they do next?

Sources say they want two lottery picks, so a trade of 5 and 6 for the second or third pick in the draft is unlikely. But they might be willing to package 5 and 18. That may not be enough for Memphis (No. 2), but it could be for Oklahoma City (No. 3). The Thunder might be content to go to No. 5 and get either James Harden or Stephen Curry and then, at No. 18, get another player they covet, Ohio State's B.J. Mullens.

See our latest mock draft for more on the Wolves' options.

The Wizards are out of the draft now, but what they did was pretty savvy. I thought it would be tough to get two veterans who could come and really contribute for them, but Miller and Foye really fill out their backcourt. If they can get one more big man, they will be serious contenders in the East.

• The Pistons also made a small deal on Tuesday, moving Amir Johnson to the Bucks for Fabricio Oberto. Since Oberto's contract is only partially guaranteed next year, the Pistons can waive him and get about $1.7 million further under the salary cap this summer.

That could put them roughly $23 million under the cap going into free agency. Over the past few months we've assumed that Carlos Boozer was their primary target, but that may not be the case. A league source told me on Tuesday that the Pistons' free agent strategy would likely preclude a run at Boozer.

The Pistons want to add several players to the roster and want to keep salaries at or below $10 million per year. With Boozer likely demanding a deal in the $15 to $16 million a year range, his contract demands are out of their league. Add in concerns about Boozer's injury history and I don't think the Pistons make a play for him.

Instead you can look for them to make a run at Ben Gordon, try to re-sign Antonio McDyess and find one or two other players they can sign for smaller salaries.

That stance in Detroit could put Boozer in a tough position. If he opts out of his contract with the Jazz, he's going to struggle to find any team far enough under the cap to offer him what he wants. And with the Jazz interested in keeping Paul Millsap, Boozer could be out of luck in Utah, too.

• The Rajon Rondo trade talk is still alive despite Danny Ainge's attempts at spin control. In speaking to the media on Tuesday, Ainge was pretty adamant that if they traded Rondo, it would be because it would make their team better and not because of any problems they have with Rondo.

I'm not sure I totally buy that. Rondo was the best player for the Celtics in the playoffs, a triple-double machine and the bridge between their present and their future. How does trading Rondo away make the Celtics better?

I'm more persuaded by what several league sources told me about Doc Rivers' relationship with Rondo. They say Rivers has told them that Rondo is "impossible to coach" and "stubborn." The worry is that if the Celtics give him a big contract extension next year, he'll be even more unmanageable in the future. So the Celtics are trying to trade him now, while his trade value is high, to avoid a very difficult decision a year from now.

Given that, a couple of potential trade scenarios come to mind. These are not rumors, just hypotheticals.

What about San Antonio's Tony Parker, Roger Mason and Matt Bonner for Ray Allen and Rondo? The Celtics would get another young championship point guard and the Spurs would get a new backcourt capable of winning a title, as we've seen.

Or, what about Memphis' Mike Conley and the No. 2 pick for Rondo? Conley isn't Rondo, but he's young and improving and the Celtics could get their man -- Tyreke Evans -- with the second pick?

• One day after a second workout with the Knicks, Jrue Holiday flew to Toronto for his second workout with the Raptors on Tuesday. Unlike in his first workout, against Jonny Flynn, this time he was by himself. Holiday wowed the Raptors in the first workout and getting him back for a second one in Toronto is a good sign.

The Raptors seem to have narrowed it down to DeMar DeRozan, Gerald Henderson and Holiday. We're sticking with DeRozan in our mock draft, but well-placed sources in Toronto say that Holiday has a lot of fans in Toronto right now.

The Raptors had James Johnson in for a second workout as well. Johnson's stock has been all over the board and he could be a target as well. The Raptors may have a need at small forward if they're unable to resign free agent Shawn Marion this summer.

One rumor that won't go away has the Suns and Thunder talking about a draft-day swap that would give Oklahoma City the 14th pick and land the Suns the Thunder's 25th pick and, more importantly for Phoenix, the return of their first-round pick in 2010. The Suns traded that pick to the Thunder several years ago as part of the Kurt Thomas trade. The trade is unprotected next year, and with the Suns flirting with rebuilding, they don't want to lose it.

Sources say the Thunder have an eye for Ohio State center B. J. Mullens and would likely take him if he's there at No. 14.
                        That last bit seems like a stupid trade to me for OKC...trading a likely lottery pick (out West) in next year's draft for the chance to get BJ Mullens?

Comment

The Bucks are idiots for choosing Villanueva over Sessions. I'd actually be pretty wary about committing big money to either guy. I realize that it's easier to replace Sessions in this draft, but he's a much better player than Villanueva.

I really don't see Jennings sliding to 19. I'll be surprised if he's there when we pick.

The Minnesota trade definitely pushed Jordan Hill down a couple slots. I think they're in a great position to grab 2 of Evans, Curry, and Harden. Any combo should make for a really interesting backcourt.

The Rondo-Parker trade has no validity. It's something that Bill Simmons suggested in his podcast yesterday, and now Ford is writing about it like it's draft news or a legit. trade rumor.

I agree with you about the Suns-Thunder trade. I think the Suns are pretty far away and are only getting farther. That could potentially be a top-10 pick.
                          "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Comment

Originally posted by count55 View Post
                            That last bit seems like a stupid trade to me for OKC...trading a likely lottery pick (out West) in next year's draft for the chance to get BJ Mullens?
                            Well, Larry has included Mullens in his list of bigs (smokescreen??), and OKC does really need a center (if not Thabeet) ... and Mullens at #14 fits within my list of predictions, so I'm happy in that regard.

(I'm still holding out hope that he helps produce a beneficial trade-down for us.)

By contrast, here's DX's latest effort. WARNING: Many of you will not be pleased ... .

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/

"He’s no shrinking violet when it comes to that kind of stuff."

- Rick Carlisle on how Kevin Pritchard responds to needed roster changes.

Comment

Originally posted by mellifluous View Post
                              The Rondo-Parker trade has no validity. It's something that Bill Simmons suggested in his podcast yesterday, and now Ford is writing about it like it's draft news or a legit. trade rumor.
                              Really? You don't think he qualified it enough?

Originally posted by Chadster
                              Given that, a couple of potential trade scenarios come to mind. These are not rumors, just hypotheticals.

What about San Antonio's Tony Parker, Roger Mason and Matt Bonner for Ray Allen and Rondo? The Celtics would get another young championship point guard and the Spurs would get a new backcourt capable of winning a title, as we've seen.
                              This is the darkest timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFife View Post
                                Well, Larry has included Mullens in his list of bigs (smokescreen??), and OKC does really need a center (if not Thabeet) ... and Mullens at #14 fits within my list of predictions, so I'm happy in that regard.

(I'm still holding out hope that he helps produce a beneficial trade-down for us.)

By contrast, here's DX's latest effort. WARNING: Many of you will not be pleased ... .

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/
                                I thought about suggesting that we go to OKC and say, "Hey, if you want to do that deal for the #14, how 'bout the same deal for the #13?"

However, I go back and forth. We'd have the 25th pick this year, which won't help a whole lot, but we'd have an unprotected pick from Phoenix in next year's draft.

It's tempting.

Comment

Working...
                                X