Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whtwudusay
    • Aug 2006

Bird Press Conference

Did anyone else see the Press Conference this morning? I only caught the tail end of it. Talked about the upcoming draft and current players.

Some highlights that I caught -

He said that he wanted to get a player or players that could help the team in the upcoming year. He said that he thought Hibbert and Koufos could help right away, but Randolph would be a player that they would have to wait on. It didn't sound like he was interested in Randolph, but sounded like he likes Hibbert a lot.

He also said that he thinks he can get another first round pick if they want it. If he got another pick, he would want it to be in the teens - twenty. Was specifically asked about Memphis at 28 and he said that was too deep for him to trade for.

Said he would have to take a long hard look at Gordon if he was available at 11.

He said there were four players he really liked at 11 with it being realistic for two of them to be there when they pick.

He said he wasn't too concerned about getting a point guard in the draft. He thinks they can do some things to acquire a good point guard or two outside of the draft. By the way, he said, they also have one point guard that is for sale.

Finally, he was asked about Shawne Williams, and said he was on very thin ice. Said if there was a deal that was proposed that they could get something good back, they would consider it. Otherwise, Shawne is on really thin ice.

More was probably covered, but this is all I was able to catch.

Edited to add - he sounded really confident that they could get a second first round pick.

Also, he made a joke about one player - I think it was DJ Augestin, saying that he's the same size as Kravitz.

He was asked about Lorbek and, I believe, Stanko. Said that they need to make a decision about Lorbek soon. He is developing, but not at the rate Bird would like. Said he is still a good player, though. I think he was talking about Stanko when he said he was developing nicely, and is in their plans within the next three years or so. I got distracted at this point and may have misheard though.

Finally - he said he thought DJ White and George Hill would be gone by the time they pick in the second round.
    Last edited by Whtwudusay; 06-24-2008, 11:32 AM. Reason: Added more info
  • Shaggy
    • Jan 2004

Re: Bird Press Conference

He also joked that if Williams is on thin ice (and Bird sounded very irritated with him) then Tinsley is below him - as in under the ice.

Most curious statement, when asked about taking a PG at 11 he said that they have other means to get a PG - at least two. Still sounds like they are working the phones.

He also mentioned that Lorbek is still not where Bird wants him to be. Not really surprising given the stats I have seen.

Comment

• owl
      • Mar 2004

Westbrook
      Love or Lopez
      Hibbert
      Ajinca
      {o,o}
      |)__)
      -"-"-

Comment

• MyFavMartin
        This team is Fun!
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Shaggy
        Most curious statement, when asked about taking a PG at 11 he said that they have other means to get a PG - at least two.
        Must be 2 trade possibilities....

?

?

Comment

• Arcadian
          • Jan 2004

I'm ready for changes in the roster to be made. However, I think it is classless, in a steak served on paper plates way, for management trash players in the press. It's not professional and serves no constructive purpose.
          Last edited by Arcadian; 06-24-2008, 11:55 AM.
          "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Comment

• MyFavMartin
            This team is Fun!
            • Oct 2007

motivation?

warning?

an example to others?

Comment

• D-BONE
              Peace Dog
              • Feb 2006

So, in other words, Bird likes just about everybody and rules out virtually nobody other than the obvious.
              I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

• MyFavMartin
                This team is Fun!
                • Oct 2007

SMOKESCREEN!!!!

Comment

• JayRedd
                  It Might Be a Soft J
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Whtwudusay
                  he sounded really confident that they could get a second first round pick.
                  That's because other GMs will gladly give them away in this horrible, horrible draft.
                  Read my Pacers blog:
                  8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

• duke dynamite
                    #IndyForever
                    • Dec 2006

Transcript? Audio?

Comment

• Noodle
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Arcadian
                      I'm ready for changes in the roster to be made. However, I think it is classless, in a steak served on paper plates way, for management trash players in the press. It's not professional and serves no constructive purpose.
                      Unless you trash trash.

Comment

• Anthem
                        White and Nerdy
                        • Jan 2004

However, I think it is classless, in a steak served on paper plates way,
                        Hick from French Lick.
                        This space for rent.

Comment

• Putnam
                          • Mar 2006

Wait a minute. What are you talking about here? Are you reacting to "Shawne is on thin ice"?"

That is not "trashing" the player. It says nothing about his character. It simply clarifies his status within the organization, which is a legitimate thing for the president to publicize.

I don't know all the facts, but I dispute that it serves no purpose. It might very well alert Shawne where he stands with the organization. Even supposing that shawne already knows where he stands, a public statement alerts Shawne's posse that things are serious. Even more certainly, such statements as these reassure the public that players' character is issue number one, finally.
                          Last edited by Putnam; 06-24-2008, 12:28 PM.
                          And I won't be here to see the day
                          It all dries up and blows away
                          I'd hang around just to see
                          But they never had much use for me
                          In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Comment

• Justin Tyme
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Whtwudusay

He said that he thought Hibbert and Koufos could help right away, but Randolph would be a player that they would have to wait on. It didn't sound like he was interested in Randolph, but sounded like he likes Hibbert a lot.

Said he would have to take a long hard look at Gordon if he was available at 11.

He said there were four players he really liked at 11 with it being realistic for two of them to be there when they pick.

By the way, he said, they also have one point guard that is for sale.

Finally, he was asked about Shawne Williams, and said he was on very thin ice. Said if there was a deal that was proposed that they could get something good back, they would consider it. Otherwise, Shawne is on really thin ice.

Finally - he said he thought DJ White and George Hill would be gone by the time they pick in the second round.

Please not Hibbert or Koufos!!!! Hopefully, a smokescreen. PLEASE!

PR to appease Indiana and IU people.

That's better than saying "the PLAYER I like will be there at 11. He's being realistic and open to the fans, and I like that touch.

I wonder who the PG for sale could possibly be? No doubt, if there ever was, Tinsley won't be back this season, one way or another. I hate to say it, but a buy out is looking more and more probable.

Well, I guess more trade scenarios on the board will have Shawne involved now! For Shawne's sake, as I said yesterday, he better be working on more than his 3 pt shot the summer. His Pacers future depends on it!

If Bird is smart, he will trade up in the 2nd or get another 2nd round pick in the 31-34 range for in order to get Hill. Talk to McHale! JMOAA

Comment

• Speed
                              • Jan 2006

Did he say anything about the players that they've had in this week. Last week it was interviews and group workouts and now it's all secretive, it seems.

Comment

Working...