X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McKeyFan
    Intuition over Integers
    • Jan 2004

Cavs Post Game: Some silver linings

I've got a few thoughts on silver linings . . . coming up.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

• Shade
    Administrator
    • Jan 2004

Re: Cavs Post Game: Some silver linings

Now just 1 game out of the #7 (draft) spot.

Comment

• JayRedd
      It Might Be a Soft J
      • May 2006

Silver lining?

What? The fact that we got to see that Lebron dunk to end the half?
      Read my Pacers blog:
      8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

• McKeyFan
        Intuition over Integers
        • Jan 2004

Silver linings:

1. Ike got some real minutes. And really produced well. True a bit less for Graham, but he's gotten some real minutes in a couple of past games.

I think its time for JOB to put Diogu in and just wait for the learning curve on defense. We need his interior offense badly.

2. Murphy is taking it to the hoop. Sure, he charged one time in a bad way. But I'd rather him err in that direction.

3. Flip Murray can create off the dribble. He was key to our comeback. I'm miffed that he didn't get to finish the game. JOB needs to evaluate that personnel decision.

4. The defense looked better at times. Some glaring mistakes and easy buckets allowed, but we also had more stops than usual, IMO.

5. Quis had a better game.

Add all these together and, with a little luck, we could become a better team soon.
        "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• tora tora
          • Jan 2004

Murray needs to start.

Comment

• Kofi
            Banned
            • Dec 2007

Ike continues to produce whenever he's given any sort of minutes. He tries very hard on defense, which I think is his problem, as he ends up getting lost. He needs to slow it down and stick with his man more often.

I have no idea what game JayRedd was watching, but Quis had one of his better performances. He shot the ball well and played solid defense. LeBron is just flat-out unguardable 95% of the time.

Flip Murray can play. Very good scorer, not much of a playmaker, but he's by far our best penetrator. I'm fine with him playing 20 minutes a game the rest of the season.

I continue to be unimpressed by Diener. He's quick and has some moxie, he just doesn't have a lot of skill. Bad offensive player and atrocious defender. We must draft a point guard, please God let us land Jerryd Bayless.

Comment

• McKeyFan
              Intuition over Integers
              • Jan 2004

Oh, and another silver lining:

Ike put Labron in his place with that awesome block out of the house.

Maybe someone can post a clip of that. The homer broadcasters never showed a replay.

Comment

• CableKC
                • Mar 2005

I am sure that many of you can attest to this....but watching the game is alot different then listening to the game on NBA Radio. We actually put up a good fight towards the end. If Granger didn't foul out of the game with a 1/3 of the QTR left in the 4th....I think that we would have gotten a better chance of getting closer.

I think that we have to get a bigger and better perimeter defender so that Granger doesn't have to work on both ends of the court so much.
                Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

• Shade
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kofi
                  I continue to be unimpressed by Diener. He's quick and has some moxie, he just doesn't have a lot of skill. Bad offensive player and atrocious defender. We must draft a point guard, please God let us land Jerryd Bayless.
                  We're not getting Bayless. Bayless will likely go #3-4.

Comment

• Kofi
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Shade
                    We're not getting Bayless. Bayless will likely go #3-4.
                    There are about 5 guys who "will likely go #3-4". Someones falling.

Comment

• JayRedd
                      It Might Be a Soft J
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Kofi
                      I have no idea what game JayRedd was watching, but Quis had one of his better performances. He shot the ball well and played solid defense. LeBron is just flat-out unguardable 95% of the time.
                      Stuff I said in the game thread wasn't so much about today. Just something I've come to the determination about over time. I stand by it.

Marquis is one of the best players I've ever seen at finishing from four to eight feet. His knack for hitting those little hanging jumpers is uncanny. He has this amazing body control and timing in those situations where he leans in and pulls back right after the defender leaves the floor. He ends up going up while the defender is coming back down, which gets him a wide open look that he seems to always make. I really have no idea how he does it. The guy guarding him really has no idea what he's about to do and when he's going to do it and ends up looking like a soccer goalie trying to stop a penalty shot.

But...other than that (and also slashing through the lane without the ball) I don't think he does anything well on a basketball court. He consistently makes poor decisions with the ball (my post about him being bad came right after an absurd turnover when he was at the elbow and instead of shoot he tried to make a pass to the opposite lower block to a tightly covered Jeff Foster who was half-turned the other way). He's a horrible jump shooter. He can't do much off the bounce.

Really, his only skill is to catch the ball on a cut and make a 6-footer. He's like a homeless man's Rip Hamilton with no range outside eight feet. Or any intensity.

We can pretend he's a good defender all you want. Just because he's waaaaay better than most everyone else on our perimeter doesn't make him good. Being a good defender isn't graded on a curve. He's no better than average in this league.

So okay, he was efficient and had a good box score tonight. But I don't think he should be part of our future and we should dump him if possible cause he's nothing but a (poor) stop gap.
                      Read my Pacers blog:
                      8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

• JayRedd
                        It Might Be a Soft J
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by McKeyFan
                        Ike put Labron in his place with that awesome block out of the house.
                        Maybe we're talking about a different one (I was in and out of the living room for a while) but wasn't that Danny? Or did we get him twice?
                        Read my Pacers blog:
                        8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

• idioteque
                          hopeful
                          • May 2006

DNP-CD for Rush?

Is Flip really that much better?

Comment

• JayRedd
                            It Might Be a Soft J
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by dcpacersfan
                            DNP-CD for Rush?

Is Flip really that much better?
                            He's our best penetrator by far.

Not that that says much.

With absolutely no exaggeration, I truly believe we have the most inept NBA roster I have ever seen in terms of driving to the hoop.
                            Read my Pacers blog:
                            8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

• CableKC
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JayRedd
                              Maybe we're talking about a different one (I was in and out of the living room for a while) but wasn't that Danny? Or did we get him twice?
                              Nope......all you see is a whole bunch of players in the Low-Post, Lebron rising to take a shot...then Ike leap up out of the pack and swat the ball like it was a fly. The problem is that the ball went straight to some Cavs player that immediately hit a 3pt shot.

It was a thing of beauty.
                              Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Working...