X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlavaDave
    • Jun 2006

P's Didn't Know About Harrison

From TrueHoop:

According to Bob Kravitz of The Indianapolis Star, the NBA drug policy leaves teams in the dark: "When the NBA office called Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird the other day, the news was as shocking as it was disheartening. The Pacers' underachieving and monumentally disappointing young center, David Harrison, had tested positive for marijuana for the third time in his career, drawing a five-game suspension. Turns out, Bird and the Pacers organization had no idea that Harrison had tested positive for anything. Ever. That's league policy as it relates to marijuana. And that's ridiculous."

The Miller Time Podcast on 8 Points, 9 Seconds:
    http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/tag/miller-time-podcast/
    RSS Feed
    Subscribe via iTunes

• Unclebuck
    Administrator
    • Jan 2004

Re: P's Didn't Know About Harrison

Obviously the Pacers didn't know that harrison has tested positve twice before. But I would think they have to suspect certain players enjoy a little weed from time to time.

Comment

• Bball
      Jimmy did what Jimmy did
      • Jan 2004

Where's Ike? Has he appeared since Harrison's suspension?

-Bball
      Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• JayRedd
        It Might Be a Soft J
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Unclebuck
        Obviously the Pacers didn't know that harrison has tested positve twice before. But I would think they have to suspect certain players enjoy a little weed from time to time.
        Yeah...I'm pretty sure they were aware of the blunts Sam Perkins used to smoke at half-time.
        Read my Pacers blog:
        8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

• Shack80
          Nude Poster
          • Jun 2005

David just can't do anything to help himself. I really don't find smoking weed to be a high crime or really care, but it is against league rules and its simple to just not do it. David needs to grow up quick before he pisses away what could have been a decent NBA career.
          No matter how much success Larry Bird attains in Indiana he'll never top that first command to fire Thomas. -Peter Vecsey. NY Post 12/4/07

Comment

• Los Angeles
            Cheeseburger in Paradise
            • Nov 2004

It doesn't matter if the team knew or not. I'm more interested in knowing if Harrison knew himself. If he knew that he already had 2 strikes and smoked during the season anyway, then shame on him.
            “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Comment

• JayRedd
              It Might Be a Soft J
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Shack80
              David needs to grow up quick before he pisses away what could have been a decent NBA career.
              Literally.
              Read my Pacers blog:
              8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

• Bball
                Jimmy did what Jimmy did
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Los Angeles
                It doesn't matter if the team knew or not. I'm more interested in knowing if Harrison knew himself. If he knew that he already had 2 strikes and smoked during the season anyway, then shame on him.

How could he not know? Doesn't each infraction carry an escalating penalty that would've had to have been levied?

-Bball
                Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• Kraft
                  • May 2005

I'm not sure about the letter of the law, but this seems ridiculous. Does the league stand by while Team X hands out an extension to Pot Smoker Y? That reeks of the ludicrous.

That said, I'm sure teams mostly know about their players antics. But if the Pacers gave Goodie Twoshoes a new deal only to watch him get suspended for doing the one-hitter a third time ... well, I'd cry foul.

Comment

• Doddage
                    AIDIW
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Bball
                    Where's Ike? Has he appeared since Harrison's suspension?

-Bball
                    He's fallen out of the rotation.

Comment

• Haggard
                      Order more copier toner.
                      • Jul 2006

The hole idea that a player can test positive three times before any action is insane. Not only is the pot illegal it is a clear violation of league rules.

Its quite simple really, Either you play sport or you don't do drugs. I had a brother who played Australian Rules at a state level and he wasn't even allowed to take cold & flu tablets as they breached the league drug policy (not too sure why, i think an ingredient in them is used as a masking agent for performance enhancers). But thats the breaks of playing sport at an elite. But then again. if you got caught just once you got punished. Thats probably what is lacking in the NBA.
                      Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Comment

• McKeyFan
                        Intuition over Integers
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by JayRedd
                        Literally.
                        "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• McKeyFan
                          Intuition over Integers
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bball
                          How could he not know? Doesn't each infraction carry an escalating penalty that would've had to have been levied?

-Bball
                          I think he's saying the real point is that Harrison knew himself, not questioning if he did.

I think.
                          "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• BillS
                            Angry Old Poster
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by indricity
                            The hole idea that a player can test positive three times before any action is insane. Not only is the pot illegal it is a clear violation of league rules.
                            That's not what happens. The league imposes specific actions on the player for each infraction but doesn't notify the team until the third infraction.
                            BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                            Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

• Naptown_Seth
                              NaptownSeth is all feel
                              • Jul 2006

Yeah, it's odd that the team wouldn't be in the loop as it developed. I guess that was worked out in the CBA to help players, give them a little breathing room to get their own act together without getting an instant rep.

Who knows how many players are out there with a 1 time failure. Nash, Duncan and Lebron could be on that list and we (and their teams) might never know.

Comment

Working...