Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Originally posted by rexnom View Post
    Hmm...our only chance to get Rose would be to get him in a trade with the number two team in the draft.

If we get say Love and R. Lopez, would Minny think about a Love, Granger, Lopez for Rose deal?
    They probably wouldn't. And that's even assuming you'd be able to get both Love and RLopez to begin with. I could see the Wolves dealing Foye in that situation, though.

Really, if Deron Williams and Chris Paul didn't exist, Rose would probably be the best PG prospect since Baron Davis/Steve Francis. And that draft was nearly 9 years ago That's some hard to find stuff. Any team with the chance to nab Rose knows it's a rare oppurtunity and if they pass on it in favor of something else, it's probably going to be a long while before they see another chance.

Comment

Originally posted by d_c View Post
      They probably wouldn't. And that's even assuming you'd be able to get both Love and RLopez to begin with. I could see the Wolves dealing Foye in that situation, though.

Really, if Deron Williams and Chris Paul didn't exist, Rose would probably be the best PG prospect since Baron Davis/Steve Francis. And that draft was nearly 9 years ago That's some hard to find stuff. Any team with the chance to nab Rose knows it's a rare oppurtunity and if they pass on it in favor of something else, it's probably going to be a long while before they see another chance.
      Well, different outlook then...in that scenario, how do we get Foye? Or, if Memphis is "stuck" with Rose, how do we get Conley?

Comment

Well, different outlook then...in that scenario, how do we get Foye? Or, if Memphis is "stuck" with Rose, how do we get Conley?
        Don't know. I'm sure Foye could be had if you offered Granger, but I don't think Bird would do that nor should he. The Pacer pick I suppose would be one possibility, but I don't know if Minnesota would trade a kid they liked who they drafted #7 overall just a couple years ago for a #11 or 12 pick.

Gets trickier with Memphis. They won't take on any players with long deals. I think Memphis would auction off Conley to the highest bidder if they landed Rose.

Comment

Originally posted by d_c View Post
          Don't know. I'm sure Foye could be had if you offered Granger, but I don't think Bird would do that nor should he. The Pacer pick I suppose would be one possibility, but I don't know if Minnesota would trade a kid they liked who they drafted #7 overall just a couple years ago for a #11 or 12 pick.

Gets trickier with Memphis. They won't take on any players with long deals. I think Memphis would auction off Conley to the highest bidder if they landed Rose.
          I wonder if Shawne + 2008 pick would be enough for Conley. What if we threw in Ike as well?
          Last edited by rexnom; 04-10-2008, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I wonder if Shawne + 2008 pick would be enough for Conley. What if we threw in Ike as well?
            I dunno. Bird would obviously make an offer like such. You'd have to ask Memphis, but if they put Conley on the table, they would get a lot of offers.

For example, Portland tried getting Conley last year and they still need a longterm PG. They could easily offer their #1 (which won't be much lower than the Pacers') plus the rights to Rudy Fernandez and then throw in something like Martell Webster or Travis Outlaw as well. Or at least that's what I'd try if I was Kevin Pritchard.

It would just depend on what else would be out there. Remember, guys like Conley and Foye are young and cheap and the teams that have them won't feel as though they have a gun to their head to trade them if they ever got Rose. They would just take their time since they'd be the ones that have what other people want.

Comment

I figure Ike an the 2008 is enough for Conley. If you give williams that is too much and your reaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamble1 View Post
                I figure Ike an the 2008 is enough for Conley. If you give williams that is too much and your reaching.
                The problem is that you're not figuring the other offers Memphis would get for Conley, which would be numerous. The #1 + Ike might not nearly be enough if someone offers something better.

Memphis is a young team that's going to be rebuiding for awhile anyways. It's not as if they have to jump on the first offer they see.

Comment

I'd prefer Foye to Conley. Mike is small and he can't shoot. Memphis clearly reached taking him #4. He's not much better a prospect than D.J. Augustin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kofi View Post
                    I'd prefer Foye to Conley. Mike is small and he can't shoot. Memphis clearly reached taking him #4. He's not much better a prospect than D.J. Augustin.
                    I agree to an extent. We all know that DJ and Mike have different skill sets.

Comment

A RealGM's View on DJ Augustine they have us picking him.

11. D.J. Augustin
                      Point Guard. Texas

Augustin is preposterously quick and nimble with the dribble, maintaining it effectively to create shots for himself and teammates with his gunslinger mentality. He would have struggled in the Derek Harper hand-check era, but he should be an effective NBA point guard in the way Tony Parker and Chris Paul have become All-Stars.

Despite being so short, Augustin is able to get shots over taller defenders and also has a superior perimeter shot than the two similar bodied NBA point guards just mentioned.

Defending bigger (i.e. stronger) point guards like Baron Davis and Chauncey Billups will clearly be a problem, but he is a crafty player and should be able to use his quickness to disrupt said players before and after they catch the ball in the post. Despite being so slight, he is well-built and can withstand physical play.

His fundamentals as a help defender are highly refined, and he is very pesky and will steal a ball or two every single night.

Augustin’s intangibles are phenomenal. He is the son of a schoolteacher and finished the fall semester with a 4.0 grade point average. He is fearless in the air and is never reluctant to make a big play in clutch situations.

He is an extremely safe pick for any team (particularly an up-tempo Western Conference club) looking to draft a point guard in the middle of the first round.

HOF: 5%
                      All-Star: 35%
                      Starter: 85%
                      Rotation Player: 99%

Comment

Originally posted by intridcold View Post
                        I agree to an extent. We all know that DJ and Mike have different skill sets.

Conley is a better athlete, DJ is a better shooter. Both are kind of small, Conley is taller and DJ has a stronger build. Both have very strong PG skills, I might give the edge to Conley though.

Conley had better showings against NBA talent last year, like in the championship game. He has not been amazing this year but he is pretty young, there is a lot of room to grow. A player can work on their jumpshot and get better.

I think Conley is the better prospect, he would be good PR too.
                        "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Comment

I know that we need a PG to play ahead or next to Dienter....but I really don't look forward to drafting Augustine and having the smallest PG rotation in the league that every PG can continually abuse on the offensive end every night. I still have nightmares of Hinrich continually posting up Diener in the paint and dropping 20+ points on us.

If all the players that will likely be available after the 12th pick.....which ones are best at creating shots for the rest of the team?

It would seem that we need a Playmaker more then anything on this team.
                          Last edited by CableKC; 04-11-2008, 02:51 AM.
                          Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamble1 View Post

Do they not like Conley, I figured he had much much more value just based on potential. This surprises me. I'd think it would take a bunch more than Shawn and a number 1 to get him.

Comment

• Real GM Mock Draft

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/12...ment_edition)/

By Christopher Reina

1. Michael Beasley
                              Power Forward. Kansas State

Very explosive in the post, Beasley is NBA-ready to bang and score. He scores at a tremendously effective rate despite the constant collapse of double-teams when he touches the ball. He’ll shoot a turnaround fadeaway jumper if his man sags off, and he’ll dribble into a spin move if his man gets too close. He can finish with his right hand within five feet and has outstanding awareness of where he is on the floor.

His catch-and-shoot ability, especially when roving the baseline, is tremendous. He also does a good job of coming off screens, using them to free up his jumper.

Beasley is excellent at finding the vulnerabilities of a defense when he moves without the ball. Even more remarkable is how he always has his hands facing the ball, readying for a pass.

HOF: 75%
                              All-Star: 90%
                              Starter: 99%
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Derrick Rose
                              Point Guard. Memphis

If Michael Beasley is pick 1A in this mock, Rose and his invitation to the legendary point guard club (LPGC) is pick 1B. Rose would be/should be the top pick if the Sonics, Wolves and Knicks win the lottery and if I were starting a franchise from scratch he would unquestionably be my pick over Beasley.

Rose is a point guard in the truest sense of the word and was the clear go-to player on a Memphis team that was just seconds away from a National Championship.

He creates wide-open shots with his dribble penetration, as there is nobody in the world he couldn't beat off the dribble.

The biggest concerns on Rose, more than his developing jumpshot in my opinion, is he appears to be a rhythm player at this state of his development and is ineffective when not in rhythm.

HOF: 80%
                              All-Star: 90%
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Jerryd Bayless
                              Point Guard. Arizona

Bayless initially looked like he was a long ways away from being comfortable on the college floor, but that has very quickly disappeared and he has begun showing his amazing promise. What has and will be the most immediately impressive aspect of his game is his extreme elevation on jumpers. It really is extraordinary and makes it possible for the 6-3 guard to be a shooting guard. He is a remarkable shooter off the dribble, but his play without the ball has been an unexpected bonus. He works hard without the ball and comes off screens, catches the ball and shoots in one fluid motion. Because of the elevation, he is able to spot an open teammate while taking the shot and get him the ball for an easy lay-up.

The injury to Nic Wise allowed Bayless to play more point guard this season, which helped his stock immensely since that will be his primary position in the NBA. He has excellent vision and draws fouls especially well when he penetrates. Bayless also has the athleticism to play quite a bit of Monta Ellis-style off guard.

HOF: 40%
                              All-Star: 75%

4. Brook Lopez
                              Power Forward. Stanford

For a team looking for a well-developed offensive game at center, Brook Lopez is the 2008 Draft’s best option.

I’m not sure if he will have the strength and athleticism to do this so easily in the NBA, but the way he seals his man and gets his body ready to immediately score while a pass is on its way is remarkable. This anticipation allows him to score before off-ball shot blockers and sagging perimeter defenders can come to assist his man.

His touch around the hoop out of the post is terrific and is of course something that can’t be taught.

HOF: 8%
                              Rotation Player: 98%

5. O.J. Mayo
                              Shooting Guard. USC

In an NBA in which very few players can create their own offense, Mayo will be elite (as long as he is not guarded by Russell Westbrook).

He creates separation off the dribble to generate space to get his jumper off, but what is more impressive and refined is his knack for preserving his dribble, squaring up in a triple-threat position with purpose and intent. He is able to back defenders up with jab steps, which sets things up for when he does put the ball on the floor, where he is highly imaginative, utilizing a wide array of moves to score.

Though shorter and slightly less athletic than both Jordan and Bryant, Mayo is headed for this type of individual career.

Despite a history of character issues, from every moment I've seen, his on-floor character appears impeccable. He plays the game in a very stoic yet passionate manner.

He also has been a much more committed defender than many were expecting.

HOF: 30%
                              All-Star: 70%
                              Starter: 95%

6. Marreese Speights
                              Power Forward. Florida

If his performances as a freshman in limited playing time weren’t encouraging enough, he was tremendous both on tape and in the stat sheet for a rebuilding Florida team as a sophomore.

With impeccable strength, athleticism and balance, there may not be a power forward prospect in college basketball outside of Michael Beasley who is more NBA-ready, yet also shows enough room for improvement to develop into an All-Star.

His conditioning has been an issue and he is typically limited to short floor stints, but it is due to how amazingly active he is on both sides of the floor and at all times. Speights’ in-game work ethic is as impressive as any player on any level.

In the post, Speights could use a little more variation with his moves but has a nice skill set here already. He has a baby hook and can finish with strength and touch with either hand. He doesn’t rush himself, has great balance, and will draw contact and finish and 1’s.

Speights' shot isn’t at the level of a Darrell Arthur, but he has very good mechanics and a natural touch. He is confident from 15-feet in on the baseline and on the elbow.

Speights is a lunch-pail worker on the offensive glass with the skills and physicality to make him elite.

He is almost like a hockey player when he boxes out because he is so aggressive. Quite simply, he is as physical on the glass as any player I’ve seen in a long time.

He quickly looks for the outlet pass when catching a defensive rebound, wasting very little time largely because he is so sure-handed. He’ll even look to advance the ball ahead towards halfcourt if a guard can get open to trigger a transaction bucket.

HOF: 10%
                              All-Star: 55%
                              Starter: 90%
                              Rotation Player: 97%

7. Russell Westbrook
                              Combo Guard. UCLA

Westbrook may very well be the best athlete in this year’s draft and is probably the best defender. He won the Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year award over senior Kyle Weaver and teammate Darren Collison. He is a lockdown, suffocating on-ball defender and will be so immediately upon his arrival in the NBA. He is so quick laterally and is also incredibly strong. Westbrook will also be a very good help defender, particularly as a shotblocker at the guard position.

He needs to reel in many aspects of his offensive game, but he has shown flashes of great sophistication as a shooter, dribbler and passer. He can create space off the dribble for his jumper and can also beat his man to get into the lane at will where he is a superb finisher. When he gets the ball into the paint, he is patient and controlled.

His closing speed when he gets closer to the basket is more impressive than any other player in this draft and he is already a YouTube dunk legend. He will never be a great perimeter shooter, but he should become a mid-range star in the Dwyane Wade mold if he just relaxes his mechanics slightly.

HOF: 12%
                              All-Star: 45%
                              Rotation Player: 95%

8. Anthony Randolph
                              Power Forward. LSU

The aspect of Randolph’s game that jumps out at any observer is how skilled he was at triggering LSU’s transition game. After collecting a blocked a shot or rebound, Randolph will use his remarkably quick dribble for a player of his height to initiate their early offense. He will look to create his own shot, find an open teammate, or slow it down to setup the halfcourt offense. His decision-making in this area is very mature.

In the halfcourt, Randolph has shown equal sophistication in the post as he has on the pick and pop/pick and roll. Randolph has excellent vision as a passer in the post. He finds open spot-up shooters and has the physical tools to deliver passes to the opposite side of the floor if need be.

When Randolph comes out to the perimeter to set a screen, he shows an ability that you wouldn’t really expect from an 18-year-old. His footwork could use some polish, but he pops into space well and is extremely confident (almost too confident because he needs to reel in his shot selection a bit) with his shot. He has good form and consistently hits shots from 10 to 18 feet out.

As he nears the rim, Randolph attacks the rim as well as anyone. He is slinky long and doesn’t fear going to the rack on anyone.

Defensively, Randolph is already a very skilled shot blocker. He can block shots with either hand and in on-ball as well as help situation. I wouldn’t classify Randolph as a preternatural shot-blocker, but he is certainly skilled and will block shots at any level when motivated. What separates Randolph from truly great shot-blockers is being consistently in a position on the floor to block or at least affect shots. Too many of Randolph’s blocks are simply when he fortuitously finds himself within position to reach the ball.

This issue of court awareness also applies to Randolph as a rebounder. He relies too heavily on his athleticism and length instead of anticipating where misses will bounce, as well as not aggressively putting a body on his man when he boxes out.

HOF: 15%
                              All-Star: 40%
                              Starter: 80%
                              Rotation Player: 85%

9. Eric Gordon
                              Shooting Guard. Indiana

With his exceptional handle in the halfcourt, Gordon generates separation from his defender and particularly is infatuated with the step back jumper. His jumper is world class for a player of his age: it is very fluid, his release is high and is quite compact. His range comfortably extends to about 25-feet.

Not just a perimeter shooter, he is equally content to drive to the basket when defenders try to take away his jumper. He gets deep into the paint after shaking defenders with remarkable change of pace moves, invites and even generates contact and is strong enough to finish despite a hard foul. Strong and agile, he has the ability to contort his body and get his shot off.

Gordon defines the term ‘pure scorer.’

While maintaining the dribble, Gordon has exhibited excellent vision for knowing where everyone on the floor is stationed. Although he doesn't have the passing abilities of a true point guard, he has shown glimpses of strong promise in this area.

When he doesn’t have the ball, Gordon is sometimes a little too idle and stationary. He could get a few more open looks per game if he worked harder to move without the ball. Gordon is so adept at creating his own shot that he hasn’t really needed help in getting them, so this is pardonable for now, but is a facet of his game he eventually will need to address.

His height and weight are two issues that will plague him and slightly limit his ceiling. He is too short to be a true shooting guard, and Gordon fully realizes he will have to develop into a point guard at the NBA level. Scoring guards of his height like Dwyane Wade, Gilbert Arenas and Ben Gordon are all athletically superior to Gordon, though like a Carmelo Anthony, he is exceptionally ‘basketball athletic,’ especially with the ball.

Ultimately, the imperative for Gordon’s career (and draft value) will be if he can consistently score against long NBA defenders.

All-Star: 45%

10. Danilo Gallinari
                              Small Forward. Italy

Gallinari is an improving shooter, but his feel for the lane and ability to handle the ball is exceptional. He would be a top-flight point guard prospect if he were 6-2. He has the ability and confidence to play multiple positions on the NBA level. With such pure instincts, he would fit in on any team, no matter if he improves his athleticism or not.

HOF: 4%
                              All-Star: 20%

11. D.J. Augustin
                              Point Guard. Texas

Augustin is preposterously quick and nimble with the dribble, maintaining it effectively to create shots for himself and teammates with his gunslinger mentality. He would have struggled in the Derek Harper hand-check era, but he should be an effective NBA point guard in the way Tony Parker and Chris Paul have become All-Stars.

Despite being so short, Augustin is able to get shots over taller defenders and also has a superior perimeter shot than the two similar bodied NBA point guards just mentioned.

Defending bigger (i.e. stronger) point guards like Baron Davis and Chauncey Billups will clearly be a problem, but he is a crafty player and should be able to use his quickness to disrupt said players before and after they catch the ball in the post. Despite being so slight, he is well-built and can withstand physical play.

His fundamentals as a help defender are highly refined, and he is very pesky and will steal a ball or two every single night.

Augustin’s intangibles are phenomenal. He is the son of a schoolteacher and finished the fall semester with a 4.0 grade point average. He is fearless in the air and is never reluctant to make a big play in clutch situations.

He is an extremely safe pick for any team (particularly an up-tempo Western Conference club) looking to draft a point guard in the middle of the first round.

12. DeAndre Jordan
                              Center. Texas A&M

As it stands now, Jordan is a long ways away from being an effective professional basketball player, but his size and athleticism show a lot of promise. His motor isn’t as good as you’d like to see from a big like Jordan and is perhaps more of a concern than the massive scaffolding that surrounds his game.

Jordan is quick in transition and has good fundamentals in the post, already doing well to seal defenders. He invites contact in the post and has nice touch to the rim. His hands on the catch are extremely average at best. He sometimes either drops easy passes or needs to take a gather dribble before going up to the rim after the catch.

He is more of a scorer than a shotblocker/rebounder at this point in his development. He isn’t particularly quick at finding the outlet man upon grabbing a rebound and could become more consistent at boxing out.

Starter: 70%

13. Darren Collison
                              Point Guard. UCLA

Collison has been a reluctant outside shooter, almost hesitant and lacking of confidence this season and has also sometimes been a second slow with the pass. As always, he is not turnover prone and does well at drawing help defenders in order to free up teammates.

His balance and control with the dribble, no matter what the speed is outstanding. He is an acrobatic and inventive scorer and does a good job at using his body to protect the ball when driving to the hoop.

Defensively, he is as good as advertised, though his lack of height will put him at a disadvantage against taller point guards. But for his size, Collison is an effective rebounder.

HOF: 1%
                              All-Star: 10%

14. Darrell Arthur
                              Power Forward. Kansas

Arthur has a remarkable court awareness as he is almost always in an ideal position on both ends of the floor. He posts with purpose; constantly trying to seal his man and can finish well with either hand. Arthur is also a good passer out of the post and pretty much anywhere else on the floor. His ball-handling does need a great deal of more work.

He is very athletic, sprinting the floor with gusto, beating his man down the floor for easy transition buckets. His jump shot is far from developed, but shows nice promise.

HOF: 3%
                              All-Star: 15%

15. Kevin Love
                              Power Forward. UCLA

Love will continue to be one of the most intriguing prospects of this class all the way up to draft night. The aspects of his game that people rave about (passing, low post moves, feel for game), are universally heralded, while the genuine concerns (lack of length, quickness, elevation), are cited with equal passion.

Cut both sides right down the middle and I think that’s where you will find Love; he isn’t a top-five caliber pick (especially not this year) and he won’t be an ineffective bust.

He will be an effective rebounder and passer, there is no doubt about those two things, so his value in the transition game is guaranteed.

But how well Love will fare in the post is something that we will need to just get there and see. Love can seal just about any defender and when he does he’s lethal. He seals his man for little baby hooks and straight power moves to the glass. But when he isn’t low enough in the block and has to go over taller defenders, Love struggles. This is where he will need to use his abilities as a passer to kick the ball back out or to re-post.

Finally, one area of his skill set that is often overlooked is how phenomenal he will be on the pick and roll/pick and pop. With his wide body, Love’s screens will be more than just an token obstacle and his footwork here is very refined whether it’s rolling to the basket for popping for a shot up to 20 feet away from the bucket.

All-Star: 25%

16. Nicolas Batum
                              Small Forward. France

With ample athleticism, an absurdly long wingspan and well-developed skills in nearly every aspect of the game, Batum could certainly develop into the best player on an NBA team. The questions regarding his motor and aggressiveness to dominate appear to be his biggest obstacle between being good and being great.

Batum has NBA range on his effective, albeit flawed jumper.

HOF: 2%
                              All-Star: 15%
                              Starter: 35%
                              Rotation Player: 70%

17. Donte Greene
                              Small Forward. Syracuse

Like Beasley, Greene is a 6-9 combo forward with an excellent inside/outside game. He is a very powerful dunker who attacks the rim, but also shoots the 3-point shot well. Because he does shoot the 3-pointer well, he tends to fall in love with the shot and force too many very bad attempts. His poor shot selection directly causes his poor shot percentage.

He has good technique on the pick and roll and this will be one of his most valuable assets in the NBA and where the majority of his shots should come from.

HOF: 9%
                              All-Star: 25%

18. Roy Hibbert
                              Center. Georgetown

Hibbert has become one of the best passing big men in college basketball. He instinctively knows how to make crisp passes to cutters because of his experience in John Thompson III’s hybrid Princeton offense. His footwork on the pick and roll is very good and he has excellent vision and anticipation for where his teammates and their defenders will be.

He unquestionably struggles against better/taller defenders, but overall is strong with the ball and is effective with his baby hook or even a 10-foot in jumper.

His biggest weakness is unfortunately an incurable one, as it is his hands. Hibbert too frequently must take an unnecessary gather dribble when catching the ball before he goes to the basket.

Defensively, he will be altering many more shots than he blocks. He defends the high pick well and will be a good team defensive player though he sometimes loses sight of his man.

Most important beyond his size is the fact that Hibbert is a coachable player who is very hard-working and wants to improve.

Starter: 55%

19. Javale McGee
                              Center. Nevada

Though his first step is undoubtedly on the slow side, he is a very athletic 7-footer once he gets moving. Initial looks are to liken him to a classical center, but his ability to pass and shoot from about 15 feet in (though he will shoot from 20 feet) is more reminiscent of a European player than a homegrown American talent.

He is a good finisher, particularly in the open floor.

Ineffective guarding the post one-on-one, both from behind and fronting and his overall commitment to defense needs improvement, but he should become a good shotblocker if motivated.

Starter: 40%

20. Jason Thompson
                              Power Forward. Rider

When watching how smooth and skilled Thompson can be on game films, it is easy to forget that he is a solid 6-10. His fundamentals and feel for the game are as fine-tuned as any college prospect, but his future raises question marks due to playing in the MAAC.

The competitive workouts will be especially important for Thompson since he will finally be judged against major conference talent and I expect him to be impressive. He will be picked by a playoff team that already has their franchise players, so Thompson will be asked to plug holes at the four and five and be as versatile of a rebounder, shotblocker, passer and 10-foot jump shooter as he truly is.

HOF: .5%
                              All-Star: 5%
                              Starter: 30%

21. Earl Clark
                              Small Forward. Louisville

Clark will be an impact player on both sides of the ball, particularly with his shotblocking and overall versatility. He makes very good decisions as a passer, not trying to do too much at inopportune times. He is always very well balanced and has excellent hands.

Beyond being an incredible leaper, he has a great motor on both sides of the floor and frequently beats his man down the floor in transition.

HOF: 4%
                              Starter: 45%
                              Rotation Player: 80%

22. Chase Budinger
                              Small Forward. Arizona

Budinger was of course a very good scorer as a freshman, but the gains he has made in regards to his ball-handling, defense (particularly help defense) and strength have been substantial. He is a far better all-around player now, though he still has a ways to go to make a sizable impact when not scoring. The ways in which he disappears in games is disconcerting and many were expecting him to be a far more dominant sophomore.

Rotation Player: 65%

23. Brandon Rush
                              Shooting Guard. Kansas

There may not be a player in this draft who has better balance and body control when in the air. His in-air improvisational skills are remarkable and will make him an above-average transition player in the NBA. An excellent all-around player, his hardware contains just about every basketball skill (shooting, perimeter defense, passing, etc.) imaginable and he should immediately be a useful and versatile wing.

Starter: 55%
                              Rotation Player: 80%

24. Serge Ibaka
                              Power Forward. TAU Vitoria

The Congo native is as fluid and skilled as he is athletic and he appears to have barely hit the surface of his potential. He has excellent touch from a variety of ranges and also glides through the air to block shots.

All-Star: 30%
                              Starter: 50%
                              Rotation Player: 75%

25. Hasheem Thabeet
                              Center. Connecticut

Thabeet showed tremendous improvement from his freshman to sophomore season and his decision to return to UConn was a valuable one. He now blocks shots with the proper hand, is quicker to elevate and has improved his overall timing. Thabeet will be very good on-ball and on the weakside, particularly because his help defense fundamentals are better than anticipated for a typical late to basketball player.

Offensively, he is better than advertised and could become a solid high post player. His instincts are there and though his consistency on his shot is nowhere near where it needs to be, his form is actually very good. His bad hands will never improve, nor go away and he still isn’t consistently aggressive, but as far as 7-3 projects go, Thabeet is one of the more promising ones.

Starter: 20%
                              Rotation Player: 50%

26. Tyler Smith
                              Shooting Guard. Tennessee

Smith is a very athletic multi-dimensional wing who can do nearly anything on the floor. There is nothing he does, however, extremely well and needs to reel in and refine his game as a whole. He is at his best when he is getting deep into the lane and finishing strong or dropping assists, as his natural instincts are so strong.

He is extremely quick to the paint after getting the ball in the high post and is a warrior when he smells the rim, either going up strong or fighting for an offensive rebound.

Starter: 40%

27. Shan Foster
                              Shooting Guard. Vanderbilt

Foster was one of the best perimeter shooters in college basketball this season and I believe he has a future in the NBA, if for no other reason because of how exceptionally well he moves without the ball. His subtle off-ball moves, especially after setting screens, are really fun to watch on tape.

He has really good balance shooting off the dribble and has a great motor, often beating everyone down the floor in transition for easy lay-ups.

It isn’t fair to hold Derrick Byars, who was the SEC Player of the Year ago out of Vanderbilt and is now playing in France, against him. This is the portion of the draft where good teams bring in helpful rotation players and aren’t valuing those proverbial upsides quite as much.

HOF: .1%
                              Rotation Player: 75%

28. Kyle Weaver
                              Combo Guard. Washington State

Weaver is very long on defense and will be one of the best on-ball shotblockers at a guard position in the NBA. His decision-making is phenomenal, whether it is finding an open man on a dribble drive or his shot selection. He needs to build some strength, obviously, but his biggest adjustment will be no longer relying on finding a play out of nothing when he leaves his feet, something he was often prone to do in Pullman.

His defensive abilities and overall mental toughness will make him an immediate rotation player on a very good team.

29. Robin Lopez
                              Forward/Center. Stanford

Robin should benefit from a little bump drafting (Nascar term) as those who fall in love with the talent of Brook will look at the value the other Lopez brother (please no Ozzie Canseco comparisons) can give them later in the first round and early in the second.

Lopez is obviously the intangibles brother, with his abilities as a rebounder and shotblocker. He is exceptionally quick to the basket for rebounds, especially on the offensive end.

He has glimpses of a refined offensive game with a nice baseline jumper here and a graceful spin move for a lay-up there, but then he’ll get stripped in the post on one possession and badly throw the ball out of bounds on the next.

His athleticism and passion will eventually weigh out though as he polishes his mental consistency on the offensive end.

Starter: 25%

30. Chris Douglas-Roberts
                              Point Guard. Memphis

Because he has had such a tremendous collegiate career, I placed Douglas-Roberts in the final first round slot, but I continue to have reservations. Douglas-Roberts is a prime example of an excellent college shooting guard with questions about whether or not he has enough tools to succeed on the NBA level.

He needs to become stronger and is also far from being spectacular athletically, although his reverse dunk on a fastbreak against Gonzaga certainly helps dispel that notion. The lack of strength in his core causes him to not be as balanced as he needs to be since his center of gravity is too far out in front of him. In all seriousness, Douglas-Roberts would benefit from some serious yoga training.

What he does do well, of course, is score. He has improved his perimeter shot dramatically as a junior. His mid-range game is very good as he works well without the ball.

With the ball, he can beat his man off the dribble and get himself into the lane for pull-up jumpers and runners. He also goes well to the baseline before throwing up soft teardrops.

All-Star: 2%
                              Rotation Player: 50%

Comment

• Re: Real GM Mock Draft

No international players in the lottery? Interesting.

If two or three guys declare, that drops some nice players down to us at #12.
                                This space for rent.

Comment

Working...
                                X