Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Originally posted by intridcold View Post
    Just read the SI article on Lopez and his brother. I have yet to see him play but he seems well grounded. If we get the 6 pick and say:
    BEasley
    Rose
    Jordan
    Bayless
    Gordon

are gone. Would you go for him?
    Lopez seems redundant with what we have on our roster unless we get someone who can play power foward with some strength and intensity. Joey Dorsey maybe? I'm tired of watching our soft as butter big men play no defense. Foster is a good one on one defender and rebounder but is anemic on offense and does not pair well with Murph/Ike. Murphy and Ike are non existent on defense so we can't pair another soft defender with them. JO is JO and will probably stay injured (he is kind've soft too). I agree with T-Bird when I say we need to mix and match skill sets to create mis matches. We need either a strong, tough rebounding 4 or 5 paired with a skilled finesse 4 or 5. Think Rik and Dale, think Thabeet and Murph/Ike, think Okafor and Hibbert, think Hawes and Williams. Bird is refusing to rebuild so we need to work with what we have and that means getting a tough, rebounder to enforce our frontcourt.

Comment

Yeah, but you can't take Thabeet there when the value is Lopez. You have to trade down at that point.

Weaver - yeah, I've seen him all over the place, and at times listed around 20 even. The mocks are just all over the place, even toward the top. Pretty tough to read how draft night is going to go down even after the top 3-4.

Beasley, Rose, Bayless are there, probably EJ, Lopez and Jordan. But even Jordan surprises me that high. Potential sure, but he's not been knocking it out of the park yet and other bigs have been moderately impressive this year.

Anyway, by that point it just gets nuts.

Comment

Jordan has slipped. I think that he may go later than EJ. But a big like that and GMs get hot and heavy quickly. Potential is key with Jordan.

Lopez reminds me of a poor man Gasol with better blocking. If you could morph the Lopez twins you might get a contender at the number 1 spot.

Comment

I like this guy from Russia a lot and think we should get him via second round

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZuPVqTk3ys

I also feel that Mike Green of Butler should be given an open invite to summer league team along with Graves just for positive PR

Thoughts on Jaycee Carroll as well?

Comment

From that clip I am not impressed with his ability. We will have an early pick and I would not like to get another Euro "star".

Comment

Originally posted by intridcold View Post
              From that clip I am not impressed with his ability. We will have an early pick and I would not like to get another Euro "star".
              It will be interesting to see the route the Pacers go via draft but we need players that can play Defense & Create their own shot. Nikoli will be available and we can get a good wing defender via free agency ie Chris Duhon, Fred Jones. I just feel you cannot pass on a decent big man with potential b/c they are harder to find.

We do need another big brut b/c Murphy is a finesse player.

Comment

What about this Batum kid? He's young and French, so I doubt anyone here knows anything at all about him besides what the draft sites report. He's a name I can't recall seeing mentioned here until now. He's listed at 6'8", 210 pounds, and as a G/F. His shooting appears weak, so as of right now, unless he wowed me during the pre-draft, I'd probably pass. Just throwing his name out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
                  Cable, I'm not trying to jock Love like he's my guy, but I guess I kinda am. To put it to rest unless something NEW shows up, here are 3 guys I'm really sold on, besides the top 4-5 guys:

Love (around 8-12)
                  Augustin (similar, because Bayless is long gone)
                  Brandon Rush (around 25-35...that's 35 if you get lucky)

So on those 3 I'll just consider it implied from now on that I like their games. There's too many other guys to discuss to kick that horse more.
                  I was only messing with you regarding Love. In fact, the only reason why I'm even paying attention to him ( and Weaver ) is because you constantly bring them up. I agree with you that IF we somehow get the 15th pick ( which is unlikely since it means that we somehow make the Playoffs ) that IF a player like Thabeet or any other Big Man that makes sense for us isn't available, that Love would be a solid pickup at the 15th spot.

But since it's likely that we will make the Playoffs...which means that we will end up between the 7th to 10th draft pick.....taking Love at the 10 spot maybe a stretch.

As for Weaver....I totally agree with you.....unfortunately, I can't see him dropping past the mid-20s in the draft.
                  Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

For those saying a pick in the 11-15 range is just as good as a top-10 pick, can you answer this question? In the past 15 drafts, 93-07, how many players drafted between 11-15 (75 players total) have made at least one All-Star team?

If you don't feel like looking it up, just give it your best guess.

Comment

Based off of the assumption that we will likely draft in the 8th to 10th spot this season,

I think that it would be a good idea to start putting together a consensus as to who many of you will likely be the top 10 players that will be drafted.

Since I know very little about NCAA BBall and can only go by what most of you in this thread have talked about......I poked around some of the Mock Drafts that are out there to get an idea about what most people are thinking as to who would likely be drafted in the top 10.

The consensus Top 2 picks appear to be:

1 ) Beasley
                      2 ) Rose

From there.....it would seem that there is a range of players that will likely fall between the 3rd to 9th spot ( in no particular order ):

Jerryd Bayless
                      Brook Lopez
                      Eric Gordon
                      Nicolas Bantum
                      DeAndre Jordan
                      OJ Mayo

It would seem that players like Bayless, Lopez and Gordon will likely be picked between 3 to 6...which would leave more well-known players like Jordan, and Mayo available next to some European talent like Bantum.

There are some drafts that has players like Thabeet, Augustin, Gallinari and ( even ) Hibbert being drafted in the 9th to 11th spots....but after the 9th spot....it appears to be a guess at that point.

I know that any "Mock Draft" should be taken with a grain of salt.....but given the likely crop of players entering the draft this year....it's a good starting point. Obviously, it's debateable as to who gets picked where since it varies from "Mock Draft" to "Mock Draft".

Thoughts anyone?

NOTE - The purpose of this thread is not to suggest that we should tank the rest of the season, I just want to get an idea about who will likely be available if we miss the Playoffs. I have no problem with continuing to win.....I just think that no matter how hard we try to win ( while not intentionally losing games ).....we will likely come up short and miss the Playoffs....simply because we are not that good and the rest of the teams that we are competing against for the last Playoff Spot is simply playing better ball now.
                      Last edited by CableKC; 02-28-2008, 05:55 PM.
                      Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Kofi View Post
                        For those saying a pick in the 11-15 range is just as good as a top-10 pick, can you answer this question? In the past 15 drafts, 93-07, how many players drafted between 11-15 (75 players total) have made at least one All-Star team?

If you don't feel like looking it up, just give it your best guess.
                        My guess would be eight.

Comment

Originally posted by dcpacersfan View Post
                          My guess would be eight.
                          Spoiler Spoiler:

Comment

I like to read Chad Fords take on the NBA. Since he talks to scouts and NBA front office personnel I think he has a better grasp on players than most. I think most people reading this thread find him interesting.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=19477
                            Chat with Chad Ford

Welcome to The Show! On Thursday, ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford will drop by to talk some NBA hoops. Ford covers the NBA and NBA Draft for ESPN Insider and also makes appearances on ESPN Radio and ESPNEWS.
                            Send in your questions to Chad now, then join him right here in The Show on Thursday at 1 p.m. ET!
                            Ford Archive: Chats | Columns

Chad Ford: Aloha everyone. Thanks for coming out to the chat. We'll do a little post trade deadline stuff and then spend the bulk of the time here on the NBA draft -- that's where most NBA teams and front offices have turned their attention.

Dave (W-S, NC): Chad what do you think of P.J. Brown bolstering the Celtics front line?

Chad Ford: He was a nice get ... but I never want to go overboard on these types of moves. It isn't too often that a player a team picks up after being waived or after coming out of retirement really makes that much of a difference. Brown may be the exception ... but, for instance, I don't see what Jamaal Magloire really adds to the Mavs other than another warm body. If he couldn't get any minutes on a bad Nets team ...

Jacob (NYC): Guten morgen Chad. So whats the latest word on Cassell? Is Sterling gonna try and stall the buyout? Do you think the deal will get done, and what team do you think Cassell would fit with the best?

Chad Ford: Sterling is willing to waive Cassell if he quits collecting a paycheck. Cassell wants to be paid and waived. Most owners will do it ... I'm not sure Sterling will. Is Cassell willing to give up a few million to win a title. As much as NBA players like to talk the talk ... very few of them are willing to put their money where their mouth is ... As for fit ... I think it will be Boston and I think he could help. Rondo's been great, but he has zero playoff experience. They could use that ...

Chris (IN): Now that the Bulls have Hughes and Gordon, who is likely the one out and what can they expect in return?

Chad Ford: I've got to believe Gordon is expendable this summer now. Not a lot of teams with cap room ... but the Bulls might be able to find a sign-and-trade that they like.

Jordan-Chi: I know Mad Pax and the Bulls are going to make some major changes this summer, but what? How can they turn this team around and who would they get to do so???

Chad Ford: I think they'll probably try to get some value for Gordon in a sign-and-trade. They still need a low post scorer. Drew Gooden doesn't really give them that. Neither does Joakim Noah or Tyrus Thomas. I think the team seems further than ever from being the championship contender many thought they'd be this year.

Rocke (LA): Hey Chad - Is it just me, or do the Suns look pretty bad since the Shaq trade?

Chad Ford: I was not a fan of this trade. It's early ... but all the fears associated with it are being played out on the court. Now ... Shaq may play himself into shape and the Suns will be rolling come mid April. But honestly, I like three or four teams in the West (Lakers, Spurs, Jazz and probably the Hornets) better than the Suns right now.

Jimmy (Glendale, AZ): Hey Chad! To me it's clearly obvious that the Suns biggest problem is coaching. The way D'Antoni is using Shaq, and his lack of using his bench makes me think the Suns might be better suited with a different coach. What are your thoughts, and do you see him possibly being gone after this year? Thanks

Chad Ford: Mike D'Antoni is not the problem. There are 25 GMs in the league that would jump at the chance to have Mike as their coach. Here's the irony ... I actually thought the Suns were poised for a competitive Western Conference Finals before the trade. Now I don't think they get there. Rare to see a championship caliber team take a step backward mid-season because of a trade. The old line ... "Don't mess with a good thing" (and yes they were a good thing, they have the best record in the West coming into the trade) seems to apply here.

Shawn (La Habra, CA): Hello, Mr. Ford. Please do provide us a recipe to fix our miserable Clippers.

Chad Ford: They are headed for disaster. Elton Brand and Corey Maggette can opt out of their contract. I could see both leaving LA. That could leave the Clippers as the "Chris Kaman show" .... Ugh. Remember when there was talk about the Clippers eclipsing the Lakers as the best franchise in LA. Now they are in completely different worlds again. It goes to show you how good ownership and good front office really make a difference in pro sports.

Tom NJ: Is it a real possibility that Lebron James leaves Cleveland for NJ in 2 years? All the Nets need to do is clear Carter off the cap to make a max money offer, might be easier said than done though....

Chad Ford: Yes ... I think it's a real possibility. As it stands (and Cavs fans have really misread what I wrote after the trade deadline) ... the Cavs will enter next season with a bunch of expiring contracts. However, if they let all the contracts expire, it won't be enough for them to get far enough below the cap to sign a significant free agent. So ... they have to start trying to find teams willing to give back good young players or semi All-Stars in return for those expiring contracts. That almost NEVER happens. I know everyone is pointing to the Pau Gasol trade. But that's really a rarity. Instead, look at what the Knicks have gotten in return for their expiring contracts. That's much closer to the norm. So ... barring a miracle, the Cavs enter the start of 2009 with some minor upgrades. In 2010 ... everyone's contract expires and LeBron can opt out. Then the Cavs will have room to sign LeBron and a couple of other free agents. But teams like the Nets will have room too ... and probably more established players to put alongside LeBron. It's not guaranteed he leaves ... but it's a very real possibility.

Will (Denver, CO): Chad, I have a salary cap question. If a team is over the cap (like almost every team in the league is), can that team still sign a high priced free agent like Elton Brand and then pay the millions of dollars of luxury tax for doing so? Or are those teams over the cap restricted to the mid level exception?

Chad Ford: If a team is over the cap ... they can exceed the cap to sign their own free agents who have been under contract for three consecutive years. However, they can't exceed the cap to sign other team's free agents. Instead, they can use the mid-level exception (roughly $5 million) to sign a new player or players. So ... the only teams that look capable of giving a guy like Elton Brand a big deal are the Clippers, Sixers and Grizzlies. However ... the Sixers and Grizzlies don't have enough cap room to pay Brand what he wants. It looks like the Sixers will have around $10 million and the Grizzlies around $12 million. Heat will have a bunch of cap room if Shawn Marion opts out ... but I don't think he will. A few other teams he Los Angeles Clippers, the Washington Wizards, the Charlotte Bobcats, the Seattle SuperSonics -- could create some cap room, but to do so they would have to let their major free agents walk away.

Stuckey (NY, NY): Why don't the Knicks fire Mills and Thomas and hire Colangelo? Kiki did not do well in the draft for the Nuggets (Melo was a gimme)and signed Kenyon Martin to a near max deal even though he came with injury concerns and was not a star player.

Chad Ford: I read that bizarre report in the NY Daily News that Dolan wanted to hire Kiki as GM and keep Isiah on as coach. Can the Knicks get more dysfunctional? The problem is ... the really good candidates for the position don't want to take the job unless Dolan promises them full control over all aspects of the team. That's going to be a tough sell for Dolan. Kiki may be the one guy that will just be happy with the job. Personally ... I think Dolan has to realize he's made things worse not better and turn the team over to someone who knows how to rebuild. Jerry and Bryan Colangelo are both great gets. So is Donnie Walsh and Jerry West. But here's a guy no one is talking about ... why don't the Knicks try to make a run at the Blazers Kevin Pritchard. He's a young, up-and-coming GM who has a magic touch with the media and has just completely rebuild a shameful Blazers franchise into one of the league's up-and-coming teams. I think he'd be great.

Marcos(SJ): Some Draft Please...You have a great 20 minutes podcast with Thorpe talking about freshman a didn't even mention O.J. Mayo, have he fall so hard? Thanks Chad

Chad Ford: He's fallen. Probably into the late lottery. I'd say somewhere between 8 to 12. He's had a good year ... so some of this is just based off not being able to live up high expectations. The other half is that he looks a little one dimensional right now. There's no question that O.J. has the chops to be a big time scorer in the league. But we're not seeing anything else ... poor defense, questionable leadership, no real rebounding, poor assist to turnover ratio. Is this guy Jerry Stackhouse?

Juan, Miami: Chad, Who is a better pick for the Heat, Beasley or Derrick Rose and why ?

Chad Ford: Tough one. Getting ready to debut our first mock draft of the year next week and I've been toying with this ... Rose is a bigger need and probably a surer thing. However, Beasley's got so much talent and he'd be an upgrade over Udonis Haslem. I'd probably go Beasley ... but Bill Simmons point about him in his last column is right. He worries people. The Derrick Coleman comparison is dead on. Amazing talent ... but scouts are uncomfortable about his off the court character issue and his commitment to the game. It will be very interesting to see how that unfolds over the course of the next few months.

Ryan (SLC): Chad, how high is Thabeet going to go in the draft? What would it take for a team like Utah to move up to get him? Does an '08 first, '10 first, and Milsap get it done? Would he be worth that to a team in desperate need of a defensive presence?

Chad Ford: Wow ... Thabeet is a good shot blocker, but I don't think any team would give up two firsts and a guy like Milsap to get him. He's going to be a long term project in the pros. Long-term. He might pan out because of his shot blocking ability ... but he is far from a sure thing. He's probably a mid to late first rounder right now. However, knowing the draft process, he could rise higher. There seems to be irrational exuberance around big men in June.

Elie(PR): Why is Darrel Arthur so low on your board, he is putting good numbers on a great team what is it about him that you don't like? Thanks Chad

Chad Ford: He's in the late lottery to mid first round. He's athletic ... but his rebounding numbers aren't special and he completely disappears from games. He has the talent, but scouts are waiting for him to put it together on a consistent basis. I agree that being on a loaded Kansas team hurts his stats, but watch him. He looks like he may need another year at KU.

Eric (Phoenix): Hi Chad! With the Suns getting Atlanta's pick this year, who do you think would best fit the team?

Chad Ford: I think $3 million will be what fits in Sarver's plan based on past experience ...

Seriously, the Suns biggest problem, in my opinion, is that they've blown it with the draft the past few years. They've had several opportunities to add talented young players at low salaries (David West, Leandro Barbosa in 2003, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala in 2004, Nate Robinson, David Lee in 2005, Rajon Rondo and Jordan Farmar in 2006 and they've come up empty. If they had just kept their draft picks or choose the right ones, they'd be the deepest team in the league and had zero need to make a gamble on a guy like Shaq.

Marcus (original home of the Grizzlies, Canada): What do you think of Bill Walker being drafted by the Raptors? Can he be the explosive wing that they so desperately need? Thanks Chad!

Chad Ford: Bill Walker's been compared to Vince Carter ... both for the good and the bad. If his knee is healthy ... he'll get a good look in the mid to late first round. But that's an if. He really seems like he could use a full year of being healthy to really get his stock back up.

Chad Ford: He's more like a late first rounder right now ... but another year at Vandy and he has a shot at the lottery. He's very skilled, but teams are, more and more, shying away from big guys who are super athletic.

Jeff (AZ): Lot of talk about Bayless moving into the top 5 pick range, has his stock risen that much? Thanks.

Chad Ford: He's a hot name right now. We have him No. 6 on our big board and there are few scouts who prefer him to Indiana's Eric Gordon (who's No. 3). I think he's a lock for the Top 10 ... and Top 5 is possible. He's a great athlete, excellent shooter, gets to the rim and has shown that he can play some point (though I think he's more scorer than point guard). I think he's going to be a very good player ... maybe a Gilbert Arenas type of impact in the pros.

Sujei(SG): Hey Chad I see that Blake Griffin is moving up fast on your list, is he a Carlos Bozzer type or is that to much to ask? Thanks Man

Chad Ford: Scouts love him because of his toughness in the paint. He's still pretty raw if you push him out past 10 feet on the offensive end of the ball ... but almost all of them compare him to Boozer. Griffin is a Top 10 pick this year if he comes out ... but he's been signaling that he'll return to Oklahoma for his sophomore season. It would be a good decision too. I think he'd be a Top 5 candidate in 2009.

Dustin (Logan, UT): Chad, your take on Hardin this year, has his stock gone up or down and where to you see him being a good fit?

Chad Ford: He hasn't done anything to really impress anyone. But he's big and athletic. That will get him drafted somewhere in the late first round.

PaulieP (Scottsdale): Aren't NBA mocks nearly impossible, with the Lottery system?

Chad Ford: You haven't seen our system ... it calculates the odds of each team. So you play the lottery ... the computer simulates the draft lottery and then orders the mock draft. There's something like 2000+ combinations. It takes a while. It's fun to play and can give you a good early take on what teams might do depending on how the lottery shapes up.

Roger (Brooklyn): Hey Chad, What happened to Donte Greene? What hurt his stock the most?

Chad Ford: Since we moved him up the board, he's gone ice cold from the field and his shot selection has been very questionable. I think he may have played himself out of the lottery the past few weeks.

Jeff (NYC): On the other side of the pond --- more likely to pan out, Batum or Gallinari?

Chad Ford: Gallinari has much more talent ... but he lacks great athleticism. Batum is an elite athlete, but he's still very raw in terms of skill level. Almost every scout I've spoken with prefers Gallinari ... however there are concerns that he might not want to play in the NBA.

Jeff (NYC): With the first pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the New York Knicks select...

Chad Ford: If Isiah's in charge? Probably Beasley. They desperately need a point guard and a leader. Unless they trade Zach, it would be years before Beasley would be as productive.

kyle (minneapolis): Me and my friends are hoping you can settle this for us, if the twolves get number three and miss out on beasely and rose, who do they take?

Chad Ford: DeAndre Jordan of Texas A&M or Brook Lopez of Stanford. Those two big guys will be battling it out for the first center off the board.

Josue(PN): Hey Chad You din't answered who the Suns should draft? Do you think they have to get a backup for Nash? Thanks Mr. Ford

Chad Ford: They actually need help everywhere. A center (Shaq isn't going to play forever), a Shawn Marion replacement, a younger two guard and a back-up for Nash. At this point I just think they take the best player available ... they have a lot of needs and keep passing on filling them in the draft.

Mike (San Francisco, CA): Do you think Brook Lopez's stock is as high as it will get, or would he be best served to stay in college for another year?

Chad Ford: He's No. 5 on our big board. I don't think he'll get much higher.

Dee (Greenville, NC): Do you think JJ Hickson has lottery talent right now? I think he's a guy that if he plays against the top low post guys like Beasley he would definitely hold his own.....saying that I hope he comes back another year to polish his game.

Chad Ford: I really like Hickson. Good NBA body, good rebounder, efficient scorer. He's playing on a bad team at NC State which hurts him, but scouts are interested. Late lottery maybe. More likely 15-22 range.

Rob: What about Anthony Randolph? Why wouldn't you take him ahead of Galinari or Batum?

Chad Ford: He's No. 7 on our big board, ahead of both Gallinari and Batum. I think he's the sleeper on the draft. Not every NBA scout is talking about him, but those that are see him as one of the elite prospects in the draft -- kind of a LaMarcus Aldridge or Chris Bosh type four. I think there's a chance, when all is said and done, that he's a Top 5 pick -- and yes, given the craziness at LSU this year, I think he declares.

DJ (Portland, OR): Where do you see Kevin Love eventually being drafted and how will his skills translate to the NBA?

Chad Ford: He'll be drafted. Some scouts have him in the lottery this year. Others in the 20s. He has such a great basketball IQ for a big man and he's such a great passer that scouts can help but like him. But his lack of explosiveness and lack of size for his position will hurt him the same way it hurts UNC's Tyler Hansbrough.

Nick (NYC): WHat's your take on Russell Westbrook? I think he's Leandro Barbosa meets Rajon Rondo. I like him more than Derrick Rose. He's just as athletic, better defender, and seems to play harder. Your thoughts?

Chad Ford: Next to Randolph, he's my second sleeper. He's been No. 12 on our big board for the past few weeks and I think he'll crack the Top 10 by draft night. Great size, athleticism, energy. He's the best pro prospect on UCLA. Scouts have been a little late getting to the party, but the house is crowded now. No way he slips past Portland on draft night if he declares ... he'd be perfect for them.

Chris (Austin): Do you think that DJ Augustin will/should delcare for the draft and if he does where do you put him on your big board?

Chad Ford: He'll battle Westbrook for the next point guard off the board after Rose and Jerry Bayless. He's such a great leader on the floor, has a silky smooth jumper and really knows how to balance between scoring and getting others involved. If he was three inches taller, he'd be ahead of Rose on the draft boards. Right now he's No. 11 on our board.

Chad Ford: I've got to run everyone ... great chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kofi View Post
                              Spoiler Spoiler:
                              Good detective work. Interesting that it's been quite awhile since it's happened.

Comment

I started this thread to bring the traffic regarding the draft and prospects. As Pacer fans we would no doubt look at the draft for our benefit. I can see us drafting 6-15 depending if JO and Tins come back and everything goes back to the way it was before they left.

I really see us drafting a wing or a big Man. Bayless and Rose are the only true PGs that I want to draft 2-20. Bantum would not work out here and Galihari (whatever it is) would constipate the SF position even more. Thabeet and Hibbert both seem a real choice for TPTP.
                                Who we can draft can be determined by how the prospects do in the Tourney. Remember that Noah was looked at being the third propsect at the start of last season. Brandon Wright's stock climb around the sweet 16 and dropped after they lost. The Jeff Green saga was a bit too much. For me going into the tourney Oden did not have the top pick locked all around. Imagine if Durant carried the Aggies into the Elite 8 and Oden choked in the second round.

For me I think what needs to happen is fan support needs to get better. In order for that to happen the enviroment has to change. Would the results of Thabeet be better than getting into the second round of the playoffs? Getting into the second round may be a stretch, but not any more of a stretch than a Thabeet saving our franchise.

Comment

Working...
                                X