Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andreialta
    • Jan 2007

Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Indiana Pacers shooting guard Mike Dunleavy says the numbers don't lie.

Looking for space: Indiana's Danny Granger (left) maneuvers against Portland's Martell Webster during the first half of their game Wednesday night. The game was completed too late for results in this edition of The Star. Go to IndyStar.com for details on the outcome. - GREG WAHL-STEPHEN / Associated Press

Dunleavy, who is having the best season of his six-year career, said the Pacers are a better team when he has a significant role in the offense.
    Dunleavy went into Wednesday's game at Portland averaging 22.4 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.7 assists and shooting 53 percent in victories this season. He's only averaging 11.0 points and shooting 40 percent in losses
    "When I get in the flow offensively, it's pretty clear we're a good team," Dunleavy said. "When I don't, we struggle. Why that happens, I don't know. My approach is the same every night. I think it's pretty clear we're a good team when I can get my hands on the ball."
    Dunleavy, who scored a season-high 30 points in a victory over Denver on Tuesday, is at his best when the Pacers push the tempo and there is constant ball movement. He has a hard time finding a rhythm when the Pacers stand around on the perimeter as somebody attempts to go one-on-one with the ball.
    "I think he's a playmaker when you have the ball in his hands and let him make some decision," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "I would say the same thing for Marquis Daniels. The load is taken off the Jamaal (Tinsley)."
    O'Neal still on sideline
    Make it five straight games that Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal has missed.
    As he did on Tuesday, O'Neal, out with knee and calf problems, went through an intensive workout before Wednesday's game.
    O'Brien wants O'Neal healthy enough to help and also have the offense and defense maintain continuity.
    Jeff Foster started in O'Neal's place again.
    Can't be frozen
    O'Brien raised some eyebrows when he called a timeout after Shawne Williams shot one free throw with 11.4 seconds remaining and the Pacers clinging to a three-point lead in Tuesday's game at Denver.
    Opposing teams, not the team at the free throw line, usually call a timeout after the first free throw to try to freeze the shooter. Williams, who was trash talking with several Nuggets players, missed the second free throw.
    O'Brien said professional players shouldn't get rattled by a timeout being a called.
    "If they are frozen, shame on them," O'Brien said. "The reason behind (the timeout) was they only had a 20-second (timeout) and they still needed a couple of buckets. We had a foul to give and we knew they were going to rush the ball up the court. We wanted to make sure our guys knew where they were taking the foul at."
    sigpic
  • Peck
    Administrator
    • Jan 2004

Re: Dunleavy says that Offense is Better When he is involved

He has a hard time finding a rhythm when the Pacers stand around on the perimeter as somebody attempts to go one-on-one with the ball.

Hmmmm........

Very very curious. If this were the old days and this were the bunny I would suspect that old was getting a message out through the press.

As it stands though I don't believe that Wells has any inclination to be a messanger so I just think he may be stating the obvious.

Either way, is there even one single solitary person on this board who doesn't have a clue as to who that somebody is?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

• Ragnar
      Pacer fan since 1993
      • Jan 2004

Yeah I read it that way too Peck

Comment

• Anthem
        White and Nerdy
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Peck
        Either way, is there even one single solitary person on this board who doesn't have a clue as to who that somebody is?
        Tinsley. Didn't you see it?

Every time Tinsley went into the post last night, the rest of the team just stopped and waited for him to finish. He eventually started yelling at them about it.

Last edited by Anthem; 11-29-2007, 09:25 AM.
        This space for rent.

Comment

• OakMoses
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Anthem
          Tinsley. Didn't you see it?

Every time Tinsley went into the post last night, the rest of the team just stopped and waited for him to finish. He eventually started yelling at them about it.

It's both Tinsley and O'Neal at times. JO is a good passer from the high post, but rarely passes out of the low post unless it's one of those give & go, backdoor cut, handoff plays.

Tinsley does a better job of passing once he posts up, but the offense does seem to stall once the ball gets into the paint. I don't know who to blame it on, but it certainly happens. Murphy's often a guilty party as well.
          "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Comment

• Evan_The_Dude
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mellifluous
            Murphy's often a guilty party as well.
            I think that's by design. The player guarding Murphy (usually a big man) has a choice. They can either leave Murphy open and risk giving up the three, or they can cover Murphy and make it easier for whoever we have posting up to get an inside bucket.

Comment

• Arcadian
              • Jan 2004

"When I get in the flow offensively, it's pretty clear we're a good team," O'Neal said. "When I don't, we struggle. Why that happens, I don't know. My approach is the same every night. I think it's pretty clear we're a good team when I can get my hands on the ball."

Why isn't there the outrage and pages to follow if this was how the quote appeared?

I like the offense but post play does not equal bad basketball. I don't want to see a donut team out there.
              "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Comment

• McKeyFan
                Intuition over Integers
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Arcadian
                "When I get in the flow offensively, it's not clear just yet if we're a good team," O'Neal said. "When I don't, we seem to always win. Why that happens, I don't know. My approach is the same every night. I think it's pretty clear we're a mediocre team with a losing record when I can get my hands on the ball."
                Fixed.

And that's why there's no outrage when Dunleavey says it.
                "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• OakMoses
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Evan_The_Dude
                  I think that's by design. The player guarding Murphy (usually a big man) has a choice. They can either leave Murphy open and risk giving up the three, or they can cover Murphy and make it easier for whoever we have posting up to get an inside bucket.
                  I was referring to the occasional iso/post plays we run for Murphy. Once you give him the ball, it never goes back out.
                  "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Comment

• Arcadian
                    • Jan 2004

Are you suggesting we aren't a mediocre team now?

I want players involved in the offense so I'm not going to knock Dunleavy, but this is an average player, known for disappearing rather than winning in the NBA saying this.
                    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Comment

• naptownmenace
                      • Jan 2004

The reason I'm not offended or upset that he's saying this is because the team is 5-0 in games he scores 20 or more.

It's hard to argue with that.

Comment

• LAPacer
                        Lb 4 Lb
                        • Nov 2007

I agree with Dunleavy completely.
                        Pacers!

Comment

• McKeyFan
                          Intuition over Integers
                          • Jan 2004

Are you suggesting we aren't a mediocre team now?
                          Not when Dunleavey takes a lot of shots.
                          "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• FlavaDave
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jim O'Brien
                            "The load is taken off the Jamaal (Tinsley)."

Did Jim really say "the Jamaal"?

Sweet, new nickname.
                            The Miller Time Podcast on 8 Points, 9 Seconds:
                            http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/tag/miller-time-podcast/
                            RSS Feed
                            Subscribe via iTunes

Comment

• Peck
                              Administrator
                              • Jan 2004

"When I get in the flow offensively, it's pretty clear we're a good team," O'Neal said. "When I don't, we struggle. Why that happens, I don't know. My approach is the same every night. I think it's pretty clear we're a good team when I can get my hands on the ball."

Why isn't there the outrage and pages to follow if this was how the quote appeared?

I like the offense but post play does not equal bad basketball. I don't want to see a donut team out there.
                              Well to be honest with you ego did cross my mind when I read that. However, and I'm just guessing here, I bet that Mike was asked this as a question and didn't just make a proclimation.

But again, I am not ignoring your point. I am a little uncomfortable with any player openly stating that.

However, Satan'sfan was dead on with his response.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Working...