Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Restricted Free Agents...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    His age isn't a factor. He is in his prime. Just because players are 27-31 doesn't mean that they are old and outdated. The best PGs had their best years in that age range. Stockton, Nash, Kidd, Paul, Magic, etc. Our infatuation with getting a player before their prime is unrealistic. Next offseason is the time to get a player in their prime.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Major Cold View Post
      His age isn't a factor. He is in his prime. Just because players are 27-31 doesn't mean that they are old and outdated. The best PGs had their best years in that age range. Stockton, Nash, Kidd, Paul, Magic, etc. Our infatuation with getting a player before their prime is unrealistic. Next offseason is the time to get a player in their prime.
      No, it doesn't but those are complicated ages for NBA players due to the tread on their tires. Injuries take longer to heal, they also happen more frequently. The one thing that would work in our favor when signing Kemba is that he's appeared in very few playoff games. Even when he has made the playoffs he's never gotten out of the first round. So it wouldn't surprise me if Kyrie, albeit younger - has more mileage on his legs and knees than Kemba does. Due to multiple deep playoff runs and Finals appearances.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Grimp View Post

        No, it doesn't but those are complicated ages for NBA players due to the tread on their tires. Injuries take longer to heal, they also happen more frequently. The one thing that would work in our favor when signing Kemba is that he's appeared in very few playoff games. Even when he has made the playoffs he's never gotten out of the first round. So it wouldn't surprise me if Kyrie, albeit younger - has more mileage on his legs and knees than Kemba does. Due to multiple deep playoff runs and Finals appearances.

        Kemba has played in 533 games and Kyrie has played in 493 games, both numbers including playoffs. It would be closer if Kyrie played more than 60 games per regular season.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Grimp View Post

          No, it doesn't but those are complicated ages for NBA players due to the tread on their tires. Injuries take longer to heal, they also happen more frequently. The one thing that would work in our favor when signing Kemba is that he's appeared in very few playoff games. Even when he has made the playoffs he's never gotten out of the first round. So it wouldn't surprise me if Kyrie, albeit younger - has more mileage on his legs and knees than Kemba does. Due to multiple deep playoff runs and Finals appearances.
          This is a well thought out response that made me think. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Kemba has been healthier than Kyrie by far. The last three seasons he has averaged 80 games a season. Kyrie hasn't played 80 games in a season in any year he has been in the NBA. Kyrie is more effective for sure and is the better player. And there are younger point guards than Kemba who are not as durable. As a principle I would agree with you. But Kemba has proven to be more durable in his peak years than Chris Paul.

          Comment


          • #20
            Due to the teams circumstances, we would probably have to choose between Tyreke and Kemba. If Tyreke has a successful season, he would probably be in line for a 2-3 year contract for 15-18 million. Because we only signed him for one year, we have no Bird rights so all of that money would come from cap space. Kemba will probably see a contract offer for at least 25 million per year. Between the two of them we are looking at 40 million dollars. Assuming the Doug works out great and can start at sf, and Domas and Myles can start together, we would still need a number three big, and some depth at all positions. Would be really tight.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by kent beckley View Post
              Due to the teams circumstances, we would probably have to choose between Tyreke and Kemba. If Tyreke has a successful season, he would probably be in line for a 2-3 year contract for 15-18 million. Because we only signed him for one year, we have no Bird rights so all of that money would come from cap space. Kemba will probably see a contract offer for at least 25 million per year. Between the two of them we are looking at 40 million dollars. Assuming the Doug works out great and can start at sf, and Domas and Myles can start together, we would still need a number three big, and some depth at all positions. Would be really tight.
              You may be right about this one, if we make a big(ish) upgrade it'll likely mean a dramatic change to our roster

              (Say we let Bogdanovic, Young, Collison, Joseph & O'Quinn go that'd create about $47mil in cap-room- enough to extend Myles and hopefully sign a Kemba Walker.
              The cap is due to increase by about $8mil (at least projected to reach $109mil) so maybe we bring back Tyreke on a $14-15mil 2yr deal & we won't be in the red just yet.

              Our roster would be:
              C Turner/Sabonis
              PF. Leaf/Johnson
              SF. McDermott/
              SG. Oladipo/Evans
              PG. Walker/Holiday

              Hopefully Edmond Sumner & Ike Anigbogu show a little progress & sign on cheaply for couple more years - Anigbogu I think could be a Bam Adebayo type at 4/5 which would be an awesome compliment to both Turner and Sabonis.
              I'd use our pick on a wing and try hard to bring Young back on a team friendly deal. We may go over tax to keep this team together - but not in the luxury tax zone.

              C. Turner/Sabonis/Anigbogu
              PF. Young/Leaf/Johnson
              SF. McDermott/Rookie
              SG. Oladipo/Evans
              PG. Walker/Holiday/Sumner

              Sabonis' upcoming extension would probably become a real financial issue for Indiana.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by festar35 View Post
                Sabonis' upcoming extension would probably become a real financial issue for Indiana.
                Maybe they keep O'Quinn and do something with Sabonis on the trade market. He's a good backup - but if he's going to be wanting big $$, move on from him.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by PacerDude View Post

                  Maybe they keep O'Quinn and do something with Sabonis on the trade market. He's a good backup - but if he's going to be wanting big $$, move on from him.
                  Yeah as much as this season will be about what Turner and Sabonis can do, it'll also be Turner vs Sabonis.

                  It may be we sign a lesser FA to keep Sabonis long-term if he and Turner look good together.

                  Ideal situation for me is Turner/Sabonis is our starting big-men, but I'm still so unsure.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I would be happy with Walker, he is a good player. But an undersized PG is not the first guy the Pacers should be looking at. The best 3D wing type should be a priority. Then it depends on how well the Myles/Domas pairing works. If Myles and Domas can play together, then the need for a top flight PF type is reduced. If they cannot play together, then the top priority needs to be a stretch PF that can play. JMO, but getting a decent PG is the easiest position to fill.

                    Pacers need guys that will work effectively with Vic. Shooters and guys that don't need the ball to be effective. Walker and guys like him are ball dominant guys. They are most effective with the ball. That just takes the ball away from Vic. Having Vic with the ball is what makes the Pacer offense work, especially in the end of a quarter. Ideally, Kawhi Leonard would be my choice or someone like him. Khris Middleton would be another good addition. But build your team around Vic, if he is going to be your star.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by xIndyFan View Post
                      I would be happy with Walker, he is a good player. But an undersized PG is not the first guy the Pacers should be looking at. The best 3D wing type should be a priority. Then it depends on how well the Myles/Domas pairing works. If Myles and Domas can play together, then the need for a top flight PF type is reduced. If they cannot play together, then the top priority needs to be a stretch PF that can play. JMO, but getting a decent PG is the easiest position to fill.

                      Pacers need guys that will work effectively with Vic. Shooters and guys that don't need the ball to be effective. Walker and guys like him are ball dominant guys. They are most effective with the ball. That just takes the ball away from Vic. Having Vic with the ball is what makes the Pacer offense work, especially in the end of a quarter. Ideally, Kawhi Leonard would be my choice or someone like him. Khris Middleton would be another good addition. But build your team around Vic, if he is going to be your star.
                      I agree with this, if and only if, Tyreke works out and signs an extension. If he can start, we already have two very dynamic players, a top 3&D player would be a great compliment, someone that can guard the best perimeter player every night and hit at least 38% from 3.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Our weakness is our bigs. We have one good defender (Thad), one good rim protector (Myles) and one good rebounder (Sabonis). We need a player with at least two of those qualities. I'm disappointed we did not address that over the summer, but maybe that's what they had in mind before Thad re-upped.
                        "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." óKevin Pritchard press conference

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by McKeyFan View Post
                          Our weakness is our bigs. We have one good defender (Thad), one good rim protector (Myles) and one good rebounder (Sabonis). We need a player with at least two of those qualities. I'm disappointed we did not address that over the summer, but maybe that's what they had in mind before Thad re-upped.
                          Oíquinn Is a very good rebounder and rim protector

                          per 36 he is at 12 rebounds and 2.5 blocks
                          Last edited by kent beckley; 09-13-2018, 10:10 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by xIndyFan View Post

                            Pacers need guys that will work effectively with Vic. Shooters and guys that don't need the ball to be effective. Walker and guys like him are ball dominant guys. They are most effective with the ball. That just takes the ball away from Vic. Having Vic with the ball is what makes the Pacer offense work, especially in the end of a quarter. Ideally, Kawhi Leonard would be my choice or someone like him. Khris Middleton would be another good addition. But build your team around Vic, if he is going to be your star.
                            1. It was clear in the playoffs we needed one more ball handler.

                            2. Houston and Golden State have busted the myth that more than one ball dominant player canít work on a team. If one of those players arenít good catch and shoot players it is a negative. But Kemba is a good shooter.

                            3. I would take Middleton over Kemba too. And he has become a good ball dominant player.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Major Cold View Post

                              1. It was clear in the playoffs we needed one more ball handler.

                              2. Houston and Golden State have busted the myth that more than one ball dominant player canít work on a team. If one of those players arenít good catch and shoot players it is a negative. But Kemba is a good shooter.

                              3. I would take Middleton over Kemba too. And he has become a good ball dominant player.
                              Maybe it is just me, but there seems a difference between a ball dominate player and a ball handler. I agree that another guy that can drive and dish or drive and finish would be a good things, but disagree that a guy that needs to control the ball to be effective is the answer. I would be happy with a GHill type PG or combo guard type player. A guy that can handle the ball if Vic gets trapped or is up court or whatever, but is a good shooter/scorer off the ball.

                              I'm sorry, I don't get your point about Houston and Golden State. If the Pacers can get Chris Paul and James Harden, then great, but they are both top 10 guys. Playing them together proves nothing other than they are great players that can play with other great players. Their ability to play with or without the ball is one of the reasons they are great players. Their success does not generalize to normal players. At least that is what it seems to me. Opinions may vary.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by xIndyFan View Post

                                Maybe it is just me, but there seems a difference between a ball dominate player and a ball handler. I agree that another guy that can drive and dish or drive and finish would be a good things, but disagree that a guy that needs to control the ball to be effective is the answer. I would be happy with a GHill type PG or combo guard type player. A guy that can handle the ball if Vic gets trapped or is up court or whatever, but is a good shooter/scorer off the ball.

                                I'm sorry, I don't get your point about Houston and Golden State. If the Pacers can get Chris Paul and James Harden, then great, but they are both top 10 guys. Playing them together proves nothing other than they are great players that can play with other great players. Their ability to play with or without the ball is one of the reasons they are great players. Their success does not generalize to normal players. At least that is what it seems to me. Opinions may vary.

                                This is how I feel about it. I remember thinking we could be a Miami light-ish team with PG, Monta, and G Hill where Monta and PG would have great sync and play above their expected pairing. However, PG is no LeBron... and Monta was no Mario Chalmers, er Dwyane Wade. You have to have guys that can Really play ball and be good at most aspects of the game to just throw talented high-usage dudes together.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X