Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Tbird analysis: NBA offseason predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tbird analysis: NBA offseason predictions

James is on their roster on both NBA.co and Hoops Hype, so it did go through. Williams may have been a better choice if they had the option. I'll have to look at the free agent list again to see what bigs they might get. The only ones that come to mind are Melvin Ely and Oberto, but only because they are Spurs and I read about them today.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
      Indiana outgoing: Jermaine O'Neal, Marquis Daniels.
      Indiana incoming: Kurt Thomas, Thabo Sefalosha, Ben Gordon, Shawn Marion, Atlanta's 2008 number one pick.

Pheonix outgoing: Kurt Thomas, Shawn Marion, Atlanta's number one pick in 2008.
      Pheonix incoming: PJ Brown, Tyrus Thomas, Marquis Daniels, Chris Duhon

Chicago incoming: Jermaine ONeal, Marcus Banks
      Chicago outgoing: Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefalosha, Chris Duhon, Ben Gordon (thanks, I forgot to add him here originally) and a signed and traded PJ Brown to a large enough one year deal to make the numbers work.
      I think this is a good start.

The Bulls would love to have Jermaine. He is exactly what they need.

The Suns are probably looking to deal Marion and Tyrus Thomas would be a nice replacement.

We get a nice package for Jermaine.

Here is what I see wrong with this trade though.

Why do the Suns get the Hawks pick when they are giving up Shawn Marion for Tyrus Thomas? They don't need to give up a possible lottery pick for someone to take on Marion.

The Bulls trade both of their shooting guards and almost all of their backcourt except for Hinrich. Not going to happen especiall with them already dealing Tyrus Thomas.

I think the Bulls would be willing to part with one or the other but not both Gordon and Thomas. JMO though.

Comment

Originally posted by SycamoreKen View Post
        James is on their roster on both NBA.co and Hoops Hype, so it did go through. Williams may have been a better choice if they had the option. I'll have to look at the free agent list again to see what bigs they might get. The only ones that come to mind are Melvin Ely and Oberto, but only because they are Spurs and I read about them today.
        Unless they get Lewis...I doubt they spend a lot of money on a forward. I can see them trying to pick up a smaller contract like Danny Fortson or Malik Allen. But I could be totally wrong, I haven't looked up the Rockets cap situation.
        I think KP is a Captain Planet fan. He believes that the collective will of five decent starters can outweigh the power of top-level talent. Too bad Herb won't cut the check for their Planeteer rings.

Comment

Originally posted by indyman37 View Post
          Unless they get Lewis...I doubt they spend a lot of money on a forward. I can see them trying to pick up a smaller contract like Danny Fortson or Malik Allen. But I could be totally wrong, I haven't looked up the Rockets cap situation.
          The Rockets are at just a tick under $63 million with 13 guys signed under contract. That doesn't include their 1st rounder, so that makes 14 spots locked. Maybe they are going to trade a couple of their guards.

Comment

7. MIAMI WILL INDEED ROLL THE DICE AND TRADE FOR RON ARTEST.
            If Pat thought his hip was bad enough to take a leave in the middle of the season what is having Ron Artest going to do to him? One of them will end up in the psych ward while the other will end up six feet under. I'm just not sure who will end up where.

5. INDIANA WILL FINALLY PULL THE TRIGGER ON A JERMAINE O'NEAL TRADE IN A THREE WAY DEAL INVOLVING CHICAGO AND PHEONIX.

Now, the question on this deal is what would Pheonix recieve from Chicago. Perhaps a sign and trade with PJ Brown (rumored to be considering Pheonix anyway), Chris Duhon ( nice player and backup to Nash potentially, and is maybe on the way out in Chicago due to a tendency to hit the night clubs, angering Skiles), Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas, and Thabo Sefalosha could be part of it too.
            I don't have a problem with giving up PJ and Duhon. I'd probably grudgingly give up Ben G. and Thabo, but no way in do I want to give up Tyrus.

As for JO I'm not even convinced I even want him, but that might be my intense dislike for most things Pacers coloring my judgement.

Comment

i don't know what the other teams are going to do but i think many of the pacer predictions are spot on.

Now, for the Pacers version of this prediction thread:

1. THE PACERS WILL MAKE NO MOVES THAT RAISE THEIR PAYROLL FOR 2007-2008.

Any future moves I feel this summer will be made in mind to reduce our costs. I believe, although we will never know, that this has been mandated by ownership. For a while the Pacers had a very high payroll....I think those days are likely over.
              this is almost certainly true. i believe that bird saying that we would possibly use the mle is just a sop to fans. anyone expecting a significant fa signing is going to be disappointed imo.

4. THE PACERS WILL TRADE JEFF FOSTER TO SAN ANTONIO FOR BRENT BARRY AND A 2ND ROUND PICK.

There may be some other small components of this deal, but I think this will be the basic premise. Foster is a San Antonio native and sees to be an ideal Popovich type player, and a good chemistry guy for the champs. If they sign Mo Pete as I suspect, they'll have no need for Barry. For us, we get a future pick, save some money, and get a good shooter with an expiring deal. Foster doesnt seem like a very good fit for either Jim O'Briens style of offense or Dick Harter's defense, at least to me. I also think the Pacers think highly of Jeff as a person and would like to steer him to a place he'd be happy and successful, and San Antonio is a perfect fit for him.
              not a bad trade. foster imo is more valuable as a backup for a contender than as a heavy minutes player for a fringe playoff team. if we're willing to take on more salary then i think we could get a more talented player back (i.e. similar to the cro for quis deal), but things are tight financially now so a trade for an expiring contract + future pick might look like the best move for foster.

5. INDIANA WILL FINALLY PULL THE TRIGGER ON A JERMAINE O'NEAL TRADE IN A THREE WAY DEAL INVOLVING CHICAGO AND PHEONIX.

I think it could look something like this:

Indiana incoming: Kurt Thomas, Thabo Sefalosha, Ben Gordon, Shawn Marion, Atlanta's 2008 number one pick.

Chicago outgoing: Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefalosha, Chris Duhon, Ben Gordon (thanks, I forgot to add him here originally) and a signed and traded PJ Brown to a large enough one year deal to make the numbers work.
              i think pacers really are shopping jermaine, it's just a question of whether they find a deal they like.

the bull-suns-pacers 3-way trade idea is intriguing. we certainly get back a lot of nice pieces. the only problem is that we're not getting back a young big - if you look at the other rumors out there, they all have a young big man with star potential coming back. i think tptb are insisting on this and they might not think that ben gordon + atlanta's 2008 pick would make up for it. i personally like it though.

right now, i think the uncertainty around kg is affecting possible jo deals. imo teams are wondering whether to keep their assets for kg or make an all-out run for jo now. i think a jo deal will fall into place once kg is traded or if mchale makes it clear that garnett is staying put.

6. INDIANA WILL FIND NO TAKERS FOR JAMAL TINSLEY, MUCH TO THE CHAGRIN OF JIM O'BRIEN ALL SEASON LONG.

I do not see Coach O'Brien liking Tinsley's game and lack of a perimeter shot. I don't see Tinsley responding well to the intense coaching of Dick Harter and Jim O'Brien, particularly the intesne hard practices O'Brien is known for. However, for inexplicable reasons Tinsley seems to have a fan in Larry Bird, and will remain in Indiana at least one more season.
              i'm one of those who happen to think that tinsley would do better under obie than under rick. still would like to upgrade him for something better (like derrick rose ) - if he plays well then we might be able to "sell high" on him before the trading deadline.

Originally posted by pwee31 View Post
              I could see the Pacers sending a filler with the 4mil T/E for Ridnour
              that deal doesn't work. the trade exception can't be combined with filler, and ridnour makes more than the exception ($6.5m). he's actually making more than tinsley ($6.3m) this season.

Comment

Originally posted by grace View Post

I don't have a problem with giving up PJ and Duhon. I'd probably grudgingly give up Ben G. and Thabo, but no way in do I want to give up Tyrus.
                really? when i heard that the bulls picked up noah in the draft, the first thing that came to my mind is that they'll trade tyrus.

they seem to have similar strengths, so i would think that the bulls would be looking to swap tyrus for low post scorer, someone more like ike perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by wintermute View Post
                  really? when i heard that the bulls picked up noah in the draft, the first thing that came to my mind is that they'll trade tyrus.

they seem to have similar strengths, so i would think that the bulls would be looking to swap tyrus for low post scorer, someone more like ike perhaps.
                  While I've been critical on Tyrus in this thread, I will concede that he has displayed the potential to put up at least average starter scoring numbers if he is ever given that role in the NBA. With Noah I just don't see that ever happening.

Comment

Honestly I think JO is going nowhere unless the Lakers decide to come off Bynum and Odom together, which I don't think they are going to do. I think they are prepared to ride it out and that Mitch is stubborn enough to call Kobe's holdout bluff, or let him sit without pay if that's really what he wants.

Perhaps after 3 weeks of Kobe refusing to play he would get dealt, but not before then IMO.

And I think if JOB wants to compete THIS year then he would like JO to be here still, so they will only deal JO if it's exactly the deal they want. Since he seems undervalued by other teams, at least from Indy's (and my) perspective, they won't get such an offer and will run with him again next season for better or worse.

Plus I strongly doubt the Pacers help out a division rival, and worse yet one so close to their market. Bad enough to have CLE or MIL winning at your expense, but the team just down the road? Brutal.

Comment

I still think that Pacers should only go for Bynum, other fillers, and not Odom...

Comment

anyone expecting a significant fa signing is going to be disappointed imo.
                        Can't happen anyway. I mean the MLE is it, they can't even trade their way under the cap right now. And no "signficant" fa is found for the MLE, I mean that's why it's the MLE - you get a "mid-level" player for it.

So of course they won't increase their cap number for the most part, but they almost certainly have to increase it a tiny bit with at least part of the MLE simply to fill out 12 contracts ready to play this fall...barring a monster trade of course.

Comment

1. MINNESOTA WILL FINALLY COMPLETE A TRADE FOR KEVIN GARNETT.

I predict it will be to Golden State. Something like Al Harrington, Monta Ellis, Patrick O'bryant, and Brandon Wright for Kevin Garnett. Minnesota also will likely make Golden State take back a bad contract also, probably Marko Jaric. Golden State's trade of Jason Richardson to Charlotte helps clear room (and gave them a 10 million trade exception) to make a major move for a title before Nellie hangs it up.
                          makes sense...except for why garnett would want to play in oakland. but its sunny and with baron and sjax still there i suppose it could be attractive enough.

2. SEATTLE WILL HIRE DWAYNE CASEY AS HEAD COACH.

Casey is a former assistant there, and will get a second chance after being screwed over in Minnesota. New GM Sam Presti will opt for the easy going Casey over P.J. Carlesimo.
                          probably

3. SEATTLE WILL SIGN AND TRADE RASHARD LEWIS TO NEW YORK.

Isiah is overly enamored with Lewis, and is likely to spend some more money to sign the overrated forward, who will at least be a compliment to New York's post oriented offense. Seattle natives Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson are likely included, maybe David Lee as well.
                          new york, orlando and houston seem to be most likely.

4. SEATTLE WILL TRADE LUKE RIDNOUR SOMEWHERE.

Ridnour is expendable to Seattle after acquiring Delonte West. Ridnour might make sense for the Clippers, who need a pass first type point guard still. Quinton Ross (a player I want the Pacers to acquire big time) makes alot of sense to be dealt to Seattle in a Ridnour deal. This would be a small deal that would really help both teams.
                          probably.

5. THE LAKERS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL TO HELP KOBE, AND WILL FINALLY TRADE HIM TO CHARLOTTE.

This could go on past Sept 1 and come right up to the deadline to training camp. My best guess is that Kobe ends up in..........Charlotte.
                          The Lakers will make this deal in the hope of being able to clear cap room to acquire someone in the LeBron/Wade/Carmelo/Bosh class to pair along with Andrew Bynum in the future. Something like Okeafor, Morrison, Richardson, and a future number one pick might get it done.
                          why does kobe and his trade kicker agree to go to the cheapest owner in the league? kobe is in a championship bound situation playing alongside sean may and walter hermann? this doesnt make any sense.

6. DALLAS WILL STAND PAT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

They know they are close, and will likely stay with what they have and hope the continuity and chemistry helps them regain their dominance, and hopefully their confidence and swagger.
                          i think they might make a move for a SF... most fans (and i think management might agree) that howard is better at the SG than SF... and so a choice might need to be made between harris and terry. if they could deal terry for a SF (maybe to Indiana in a 3-way with the Nets for Jefferson) they'd probably do it.

7. MIAMI WILL INDEED ROLL THE DICE AND TRADE FOR RON ARTEST.

Sacramento's new staff would be well served to rid themselves of Artest, and I think the Maloof's know it to. Miami is desperate to make another run before Shaq retires, and Riley is willing to gamble. Artest's asking price is likely to be pretty low.
                          seems likely, i don't think their tradeable parts are as interesting to seattle (who will most likely S&T). i would think artest or bonzi wells would be at the top of their list (S&T posey for artest?)

8. MEMPHIS WILL NOT FIND A TAKER FOR PAO GASOL, AND WILL WAIT UNTIL MID SEASON TO MAKE A DEAL.

New GM Chris Wallace will evaluate his team slowly before making any rash decisions, and Gasol needs to prove he is good enough to be a difference maker before anyone will pay a high price for him.
                          i still think the lakers could make a run for him. but apart from that i don't know what other teams are interested or have the pieces to get him.

9. SAN ANTONIO WILL SIGN SG MORRIS PETERSON AS A FREE AGENT.

Mo Pete is a tough minded durable shooter who is likely to come cheap, and seems like a good pickup for the always clever defending champs.
                          i assume you think this will happen because of trading barry for foster? otherwise why do they need him? with manu, finley, bowen and barry...

10. OTHER FREE AGENTS OF NOTE: MO WILLIAMS WILL SIGN WITH HOUSTON, GERALD WALLACE WILL SIGN WITH ORLANDO, CHAUNCEY BILLUPS WILL RE-SIGN WITH DETROIT, DARKO MILECIC WILL SIGN WITH WASHINGTON.
                          whoa... why darko with washington? and where will houston be trading head, alston and/or james to make room for mo williams?

Now, for the Pacers version of this prediction thread:

1. THE PACERS WILL MAKE NO MOVES THAT RAISE THEIR PAYROLL FOR 2007-2008.

Any future moves I feel this summer will be made in mind to reduce our costs. I believe, although we will never know, that this has been mandated by ownership. For a while the Pacers had a very high payroll....I think those days are likely over.
                          unless they can figure out how to turn murphy, quis, shawne and future picks into kobe, tmac or joe johnson then i agree.

2. DONNIE WALSH WILL ANNOUNCE THAT 2007-2008 WILL OFFICIALLY BE HIS LAST.

This isnt exactly breaking news, but I think the days of Donnie are numbered. I don't think he will want to be in charge of a team that is obviously not competitive, and I think he will feel that it's time to move on while his largely successful reputation is intact. A "rebuilding" effort will begin with the moves I predict will be made below, and Donnie will not want to stay on for that long process.
                          maybe... he keeps hanging on though...

3. RUMBLINGS WILL START TO BE HEARD ABOUT THE SIMON BROTHERS, AND THE STATUS OF THEIR OWNERSHIP.

The brothers are getting older, and the franchise is pretty far away from a championship. Im not sure what exactly will happen, whether it will be looking for a buyer, or a transition to one of their sons, but I think it's likely for a transition period to begin soon in some form or fashion.
                          what jayredd said

4. THE PACERS WILL TRADE JEFF FOSTER TO SAN ANTONIO FOR BRENT BARRY AND A 2ND ROUND PICK.

There may be some other small components of this deal, but I think this will be the basic premise. Foster is a San Antonio native and sees to be an ideal Popovich type player, and a good chemistry guy for the champs. If they sign Mo Pete as I suspect, they'll have no need for Barry. For us, we get a future pick, save some money, and get a good shooter with an expiring deal. Foster doesnt seem like a very good fit for either Jim O'Briens style of offense or Dick Harter's defense, at least to me. I also think the Pacers think highly of Jeff as a person and would like to steer him to a place he'd be happy and successful, and San Antonio is a perfect fit for him.
                          hopefully it'll be more like barry, splitter and a 2nd for foster. (i say splitter because we need more tall euros for when we have a roster totally made up of tall euros... lorbeck-splitter-stanko will be the best backcourt combo in the league for the 2012 season, you heard it here first...)

the kurt for pj thing doesn't make sense. i see a re-signed nocioni making more sense to the suns (obviously will be less than marion) and then thomas, quis and duhon

i can't see chicago giving up sefolosha. more like griffin, which given his perimeter defense and gordon's lack, would be fine with me and instead of kurt, we get the S&T pj

the problem with the trade for us is that gordon is going to need an extension. probably not a major problem if we want to keep because we'll probably only be renting marion for the year before he opts out. the problem occurs if we want to keep marion. we'll still have troy, mike and tinsleys contracts and then granger and diogu will be needing extensions soon after. but adding gordon and marion to the pacers would definitely get us into the playoffs. probaly not ECF material but easily competitive with teams like washington, boston and probably cleveland.

bulls would have a lineup of
                          hinrich / sefolosha / deng / o'neal / wallace
                          (banks, noah off the bench)

suns
                          nash / bell / nocioni / diaw / stoudamire
                          (duhon, barbosa, quis off the bench)

pacers
                          tinsley / gordon / granger / marion / brown
                          (dunleavy, williams, diogu, griffin, murphy off the bench)

6. INDIANA WILL FIND NO TAKERS FOR JAMAL TINSLEY, MUCH TO THE CHAGRIN OF JIM O'BRIEN ALL SEASON LONG.

I do not see Coach O'Brien liking Tinsley's game and lack of a perimeter shot. I don't see Tinsley responding well to the intense coaching of Dick Harter and Jim O'Brien, particularly the intesne hard practices O'Brien is known for. However, for inexplicable reasons Tinsley seems to have a fan in Larry Bird, and will remain in Indiana at least one more season.
                          sigh

7. THE PACERS WILL TRY AND MOVE MIKE DUNLEAVY TO THE CLIPPERS TO PLAY FOR HIS DAD, BUT WON'T BE ABLE TO DO SO BEFORE THE SEASON.

A deal with LA Clippers seems to be the best matchup for us in alot of ways, but the Clips are extraordinarily hard to deal with usually. Something like Dunleavy for Mobley will be discussed, but probably won't happen.
                          i wish i wish i wish i wish we could trade murphy before dunleavy. i actually like dunleavy quite a bit. a deal though i would do given our glut at SF and our need for $$$ room in possibly re-signing gordon and marion (by the proposed trade) would be sam cassell, 2008 First for dunleavy. the clips might be into it if they're moving maggette.

8. THIS WILL BE THE LAST SEASON FOR SLICK LEONARD AND MARK BOYLE AS THE RADIO TEAM LOCALLY.

I hope this prediction isnt true, but I can see it happening. Slick is getting older, and I can see him becoming weary of the travel and the losing, and I can see the team becoming weary of his pointed criticisms on air. I thought Mark seemed bored honestly on the air last season, and might be in need of a new challenge, and a bigger market. Let's hope I'm wrong about this one.
                          can't really speak to that, i'll take your word for it

OK, that is my list of what is going to happen in the next 90 days. Make your predictions in this thread, and we can review sometime in October or so and see how close any of us came.
                          maybe later, right now i'm too lazy to think of my own but just inspired enough to talk about yours
                          Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 07-02-2007, 01:00 AM.
                          This is the darkest timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
                            Can't happen anyway. I mean the MLE is it, they can't even trade their way under the cap right now. And no "signficant" fa is found for the MLE, I mean that's why it's the MLE - you get a "mid-level" player for it.

So of course they won't increase their cap number for the most part, but they almost certainly have to increase it a tiny bit with at least part of the MLE simply to fill out 12 contracts ready to play this fall...barring a monster trade of course.
                            i guess my threshold for "significant" is lower than yours... i would have considered kapono significant if we had been able to get him. raptors offered him the full mle for 4 years, which i think we wouldn't have done.

Comment

Working...
                            X