Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

One reason why Rick Carlisle is a great coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One reason why Rick Carlisle is a great coach

Derrivative of the last comment. Is it me, or have Brad and Ron kind of gone on to not really reach their potential. I would say that good coaches do the best with what they have, and understand how to best use the people they have. Give people the opportunity to flourish to the extent that it fits the overall organizational plan.
    ! Free Rick Sanchez !

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
      It wasn't that Rick used him incorrectly, he didn't use him at all. I would argue that if Rick would have played Orimo, Rick would have put him in situations on the floor to maximize his game
      Well then you have to use that angle for most of the players on your list, including Fred Jones, Croshere, AJ, etc. They all have lost significant minutes for the same exact reason as Primoz. Same dropoff in production.

I think Rick is very hit and miss with his use of players. I agree that he was great with Ron, but I can think of a lot more players that he misused at one time or another, including four major ones in the last two years:

1. Al Harrington- Never should've been used at SF. He's too slow to guard SF and is a very good post player. Supposedly Al's suggestion, but Rick IS the coach and it's his job to maximize his talent. Not a shocker his level of play drastically dropped.

2. Sarunas Jasikevicius- I have to question anyone who takes the ball out of a playmaker's hand. Using him at SG was a huge mistake, and fortunately Rick corrected that this year with a double PG set. Still, it shouldn't have taken an entire year to figure that out; maybe five games at the most.

3. Jermaine O'Neal- Has the second best post game in the Eastern Conference, as well as being quicker than most his size, yet Rick had him at the elbow for nearly two years. That's worse than taking the second best three point shooter in the Eastern Conference and putting him under the basket. Jermaine has always been our best option for the highest quality shot, and he spent most of the game not taking them.

4. Danny Granger- Using Danny at SG speaks for itself. He doesn't have the lateral movement to defend SG and he has a great all-around game. People will argue that he was the starting SF at the beginning of the season, but on offense he was playing SG. Now he's guarding players he shouldn't. And he's an excellent defender near the basket, which is now unused.

I understand that it's difficult to maximize your talent, and a lot of times Rick (up until the trade) had use a lot of overlapping skills, but two of these were major misuses, and shouldn't happen at all. I think Rick is a very good coach, but I don't neccessarily think player use is one of his strengths.

Comment

Originally posted by imawhat View Post
        I think Rick is a very good coach, but I don't neccessarily think player use is one of his strengths.
        Needless to say I completely dissagree as I think that is his greatest asset as a coach

Comment

Originally posted by McKeyFan View Post
          Carlisle does a lot of things well.

He emphasizes professionalism. Translated, he expects players to adhere to precise schemes on offense and defense, to protect the ball, to play with effort, and to do their job whether in the mood or not. (Doesn't always enforce this correctly, but that's another thread).

He emphasizes defense. It's half the game, and it's the half that most teams and coaches don't emphasize, and almost no players. This emphasis places Rick in the top tier all by itself.

He is a helluva politician off the court. With rare exception, he does not criticize players or offer up much in the way of gossip and inside info and continues to keep a positive spin on everything. As much as I hate this as a fan wanting inside info, I respect it.

He clearly is a student of the game and knows his x's and o's well, although I don't enough about this to comment on it. But from what I can tell, he errs in the direction of being too good at this rather than good at the relational part of the job.

With that said, now that most of the players are gone who might provide relational difficulties for Rick, he is in a good position to use his excellent coaching gifts to take us someplace. I sure hope so.
          I know people hate QFT, but McKeyFan already touched on every point that I would mention in basically the exact same way.

He got more out of Stackhouse as well.

And take the time to review all his rosters, find me a player beside Prince and James Jones (rookie year) that didn't get some decent minutes despite deep rosters. He'll get the 12th man 400-500 minutes even. A lot of coaches just don't do that. That's why that "won't play young" is total crap. Heck, he had Foster on the bench so SOPHMORE Granger could start. He's even worked Greene, Shawne, Rawle and Powell into rotations outside of garbage time on occasion.

The last few years he didn't even have the option not to play young guys or go deep with the roster. I never understood that rep at all. Just because of Prince. (how much did Isiah play Fred Jones that same season...now how much did RC play Fred in his 2nd year on a 61 win team?)

Comment

Rick's style its not a wide open, fast-paced game and Runi isn't the floor general
            No one thinks Golden State isn't wide open though. Runi so far:

21, 11, 11, 14...and that 14 ALL came after the Warriors were up by 24 late in the 3rd. Saras came in and finished out the game once it was wide open and never got close again. He got 0 minutes in the first half of that one.

He's not seeing more PT with them than he did with Indy. That says quite a bit, especially since his game high came with Baron out and his first game with the team.

Since then he's been asked to start with Baron AT THE TWO...DOH! Baron controls the ball, racks up all the assists, even if he does shoot a lot. Nothing changed for him with the Warriors, except that after they tried that they decided to move him farther down the bench even.

To me it says "it wasn't the style, it was the player".

After his first game going 4-7 FG he has gone 3-13 (hmm, probably because Nellie also doesn't understand that he has to play 20 minutes just to get warmed up, right?

He's shot 35% FG and 20% 3P with them so far. Not the system. It's not the new team thing either. Jack is 47% from 3 so far. Al is 65% from 3!!! Both have taken more shots too, so it isn't a case of 2 for 3 lucky PCT.

Runi isn't the floor general ANY coach needs him to be. He's an okay backup, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
              Needless to say I completely dissagree as I think that is his greatest asset as a coach
              Do you disagree with any of my four points?

I think Rick's greatest strength is the ability to have a consistent mindset regardless of the situation. The way he handled the team through the suspensions and injuries was inspiring. I also think he is great at adapting to situations. It has to be difficult to completely change your offense and defense, but he did it when Jermaine went out last year.

I've noticed a lot of players complain about his coaching style, but most every single one of them is in a position to regret that now, even Artest. I'm not sure why they were better off in his system, but I still think he's misused his talent.

Comment

I always thought Rick did a great job of making both jones's better and went out of his way last year to use Harrison...

I mean come on at times Freddie played like a alstar 2 guard for us.. and James he was very effective with us doing more then just hitting the three

Yet at tor Freddie not reliable enough shooter to start at the 2 guard and does no have a good enough over all game to see any minutes and James frankly sees hardly any minutes with Phoe...

Yeah Aj burried on the bench but lets see Dallas continue to win being "forced" to use him 40 minutes a game....
                You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you? ..... You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.....
                Silly rabbit..... Trix are for kids.

Comment

I think Rick's greatest strength is the ability to have a consistent mindset regardless of the situation. The way he handled the team through the suspensions and injuries was inspiring. I also think he is great at adapting to situations. It has to be difficult to completely change your offense and defense, but he did it when Jermaine went out last year.
                  maybe im misreading your point, but dont your point contradict each other?

1. he has a consistent mindset regardless of the situation (i.e. he approaches situations in the same way)

2. he is great at adapting to situations, changing offense (i.e. he doesn't approach each situation in the same way)
                  This is the darkest timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
                    maybe im misreading your point, but dont your point contradict each other?

1. he has a consistent mindset regardless of the situation (i.e. he approaches situations in the same way)

2. he is great at adapting to situations, changing offense (i.e. he doesn't approach each situation in the same way)

1 is mental and 2 is physical. The mental approach (mindset) is the same regardless, and he's able to adapt to physical changes (injuries, suspensions).

Comment

Do you disagree with any of my four points?

Do you want me to go point by point.

1. Al Harrington- Never should've been used at SF. He's too slow to guard SF and is a very good post player. Supposedly Al's suggestion, but Rick IS the coach and it's his job to maximize his talent. Not a shocker his level of play drastically dropped.
                      Al should have been benched and he should have been the 6th man. and he should have played power forward. But I will say this in Rick's defense the team started playing better when Al moved to small forward. And Al shouldn't have been finishing games. But if Rick does that what would Al do - he would have lost it and Rick would have lost him.

2. Sarunas Jasikevicius- I have to question anyone who takes the ball out of a playmaker's hand. Using him at SG was a huge mistake, and fortunately Rick corrected that this year with a double PG set. Still, it shouldn't have taken an entire year to figure that out; maybe five games at the most.
                      Rick had to take the ball out of his hands. Saras poor ball handling was killing the Pacers offense. And the reason why Rick didn't go to a two point guard offense last season is because we had Fred Jones backing up at the shooting guard position and Rick wanted to use him and I agreed with that decision. The two guard set worked this year because of DA

3. Jermaine O'Neal- Has the second best post game in the Eastern Conference, as well as being quicker than most his size, yet Rick had him at the elbow for nearly two years. That's worse than taking the second best three point shooter in the Eastern Conference and putting him under the basket. Jermaine has always been our best option for the highest quality shot, and he spent most of the game not taking them.
                      I have no idea what you are talking about here. JO has never been a high post player, Rick did not put him there. All I heard from fans for years was how the pacers offense was so boring, all we do is throw it down to JO and space the floor

4. Danny Granger- Using Danny at SG speaks for itself. He doesn't have the lateral movement to defend SG and he has a great all-around game. People will argue that he was the starting SF at the beginning of the season, but on offense he was playing SG. Now he's guarding players he shouldn't. And he's an excellent defender near the basket, which is now unused.

In Rick's offensive system there is no difference between the 2 and 3 position - generally speaking. Certainly when we play two point guards Rick runs different plays, and when Daniels is in he doesn't spot up like Jax or Granger did.

As far as not wanting Granger to guard shooting guards - well we certainly don't want Dunleavy guarding them. When Jax was here, Granger with rare exceptions guarded the small forwards.

Comment

I will agree that there is no other coach go through what Rick did for 2 years. But last night was a prime exsample of misuse. Troy on Wallace and Wallace ate hi a live. The staters dig a deep hole, and the bench pulled them out. Then Rick put the staters back in and they dig another deep hole. And then the bench came in and pulled them out and tire the game. What did Rick do pull them off and put the regs back in. And Foster who can control Wallace setting on the bench. The best rebounder per min in the NBA. To me that is not using people the right way

Comment

Originally posted by OTD View Post
                          I will agree that there is no other coach go through what Rick did for 2 years. But last night was a prime exsample of misuse. Troy on Wallace and Wallace ate hi a live. The staters dig a deep hole, and the bench pulled them out. Then Rick put the staters back in and they dig another deep hole. And then the bench came in and pulled them out and tire the game. What did Rick do pull them off and put the regs back in. And Foster who can control Wallace setting on the bench. The best rebounder per min in the NBA. To me that is not using people the right way

He should have played the bench for all 48 minutes in a row?
                          The Miller Time Podcast on 8 Points, 9 Seconds:
                          http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/tag/miller-time-podcast/
                          RSS Feed
                          Subscribe via iTunes

Comment

Rick is a great x's and o's coach.

Part of that is his ability to put players in position to maximize thier strenghts.

Except when he gets it wrong, and then he seems to have a hard time letting go of it.

As bball says, "Rick is a great coach, except when he's not a great coach."

But last year when everyone else was bellyaching about all the iso's we were running, I didn't have a problem with those...

Again, Rick's medium-term X's and O's (not his halftime adjustments, not his season-long vision) are what keeps him employed as a NBA HC and puts him in the top-half of an otherwise unremarkable pool of NBA coaches.

He has plenty of other negatives, of course. But I generally agree with UB here. I keep thinking of the two or three really important things Rick did in 2003-04, when Brad left and we heard that the sky would be falling without him.
                            • After 2 games, he benched Pollard and then he played JO at center > 80% of the time.
                            • He played Al off the bench but at Powerforward > 80% of the time, and Al and Jeff split the PF minutes.
                            • He could hide Jeff's offensive weaknesses in the way he used Arterst in the post and wing.
                            • He didn't play Ron in the backcourt because he knew he didn't have the lateral quickness. When forced into game action, Fred Jones grew up a bit and earned a spot in the rotation for the rest of his Pacers career.
                            • When KA and AJ were really struggling, and that team went 7-8 over a fifteen game span in December, he brought back Tinsley and the team took off... oh wait, that was Mike Brown. Nevermind.
                            Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
                            Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
                            Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
                            Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
                            And life itself, rushing over me
                            Life itself, the wind in black elms,
                            Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Comment

Working...
                            X