Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Hawks' Jason Collier Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawks' Jason Collier Dies

I was shocked when I heard it on the news at my girlfriend's apartment. Thanks for all the info that some of you have been putting on here.

I'm truly saddened this happened. It's just sooo damn tragic! I hate hearing stories like this about people who have potential to do things in their life, but he or she dies at such a young age to accomplish whatever it is they COULD HAVE done.

Deepest thoughts go to the family, friends, and fans of Jason. I'm sorry, man.

RIP.
    AKA Sactolover05

Comment

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...o_make_se.html

Hard to make sense of a tragic loss

By Mark Bradley | Saturday, October 15, 2005, 03:44 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Mark Bradley

* Hard to make sense of a tragic loss
      * Hawks appear to be big only on duplication
      * Baseball boots it again
      * Legacy of collapses grows into a curse
      * Victory settles where this team belongs

Mike Woodson had seen him at practice Friday, not 20 hours before. Jason Collier had been shooting free throws, looking like a professional basketball player is supposed to look. “I thought he was in the best shape since I’d been around him,” the coach said.

Michael Gearon Jr. had seen Collier at the same practice, and what struck the Hawks’ owner was how the center had let his hair grow. “He looked more like a California kid than one from Ohio,” Gearon said.

Around 7 a.m. Saturday, both men got the same incongruous phone call. Jason Collier, age 28, was dead.

Having gotten a similar call, Billy Knight decided he really hadn’t. “I thought I was still sleeping,” the general manager said. Then, having awakened enough to realize what he’d heard, Knight got out of bed and tried to make sense of it. He failed. At such a moment, all human reckoning fails.

“Nothing can explain it,” Knight said. “You just sit around in disbelief for a while. And then you think of his family.”

This was Jason Collier: A big man who shot the ball better than big men customarily do. This also was Jason Collier: A husband and a father of a little girl who likes to ride horses.

Gearon: “He was a really fine person.” Knight: “He was the best.”

Today we Atlantans are thinking we didn’t really get to know Jason Collier the way we should have. He played two seasons at Georgia Tech and had been a Hawk since March 8, 2003, but it was his luck to have been part of aggregations that didn’t hold our attention. He was the best player on Bobby Cremins’ last two Tech teams, neither of which managed a winning record, and the Hawks have lately been a source of civic disinterest.

Today we’re thinking that we didn’t get to know Jason Collier and now we never will. We knew things about him, sure. We knew he was the son of a Tech basketballer - his dad Jeffrey played under Dwane Morrison in the ’70s. We knew he’d grown up in Springfield, Ohio, which is outside Dayton, and part of him wanted to come to Tech all along. But he enrolled at Indiana and became one of the last straws in the dissolution of Bobby Knight’s raging empire.

Collier left Indiana in December 1997, a month into his sophomore season. “I was losing sleep,” he said. “I wasn’t eating. That wasn’t the way I wanted to live my life… . If I’d known exactly what I was going to confront, I’d never have gone there. The biggest mistake I’ve made was going to Indiana.”

Funny how things work out. Collier fled IU because he couldn’t take Knight’s screaming, and he wound up playing for a former Hoosier who regards Knight as the greatest coach the game has ever known. “I never wanted to talk to Jason about leaving IU,” Woodson said Saturday. “I’ve never talked to Knight about it.”

As far as Woodson was concerned, Collier had done what he’d had to do. He’d found a program that better suited him and made himself a first-round NBA draft pick. (Acting for Houston, Milwaukee took him 15th overall in 2000.) He’d made himself a pro. “He’s part of our league,” Woodson said.

Then, shaking his head, Woodson corrected himself. “He was part of our league.”

Pro athletes aren’t supposed to die at 28. Pro athletes are supposed to be invulnerable. Pro athletes aren’t supposed to go home from practice on a Friday and be gone by the time Saturday dawns. “Life’s full of surprises,” Gearon said. “That’s the sad thing.”

Jason Collier’s teammates gathered Saturday morning at Philips Arena and then dispersed, an afternoon scrimmage having been canceled. In a further stroke of incongruity, Philips was being readied for a concert by the Rolling Stones. Not 30 yards from the Hawks’ training room was a suite set aside for Keith Richards, the scarecrow guitarist who has led a life of infamous excess.

Jason Collier died at 28. Keith Richards, against all odds, is 61. Try to make sense of that. Let me know if you ever do.

Permalink | Comments (202) | Post your comment | Categories: Hawks / NBA, Mark Bradley
      AKA Sactolover05

Comment

My prayers go out to his family and friends. RIP.
        :thepacers
        No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Comment

Eddy Curry talks a little bit about his tests from the Knicks....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2192066

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Hawks center Jason Collier died early Saturday after he had trouble breathing and was stricken in his home, his father said. He was 28.

General manager Billy Knight said the cause of death was not immediately clear for the 7-foot, 260-pound player. He said Collier had "no issues" in a preseason physical given to all players.

Jeff Collier told The Associated Press his son died in an ambulance on the way to the hospital and did not have any diagnosed health problems apart from his knees.

Team spokesman Arthur Triche initially said Collier possibly died of cardiac arrest, but would not provide details. He later said the team was not sure how Collier died. Collier's agent, Richard Howell, said an autopsy was being performed.

Later, Forsyth County Coroner Lauren McDonald said the family asked him not to release any preliminary results Saturday. He said he would make a statement Sunday.

"We'll wait until the experts can tell us, but there's no comments about any speculating at all that I'm going to do," Knight said. "Right now we just think about Jason and his family, his wife and a daughter. He was a good guy, a great teammate and a member of our organization. We're going to miss him."

The Hawks canceled an open scrimmage Saturday, but will play a preseason game on Monday night at Charlotte.

"We are saddened by the news of Jason Collier's sudden passing," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "He epitomized hard work, dedication and perseverance, and more importantly compassion, kindness and selflessness."

Jeff Collier said he received a phone call at 3:30 a.m. Saturday from Jason's wife, Katie, who said her husband was having trouble breathing and quickly turned blue.

"You get a call and it's your daughter-in-law crying saying she's giving him CPR and trying to keep him going," Jeff Collier said. "I guess it took awhile for the paramedics to get there. He had a slight pulse when they took him and he passed away in the ambulance while they took him to the hospital."

Tim Legler on Jason Collier's death
          The death of Jason Collier is a great tragedy for his family, the Atlanta Hawks and the NBA family. My deepest sympathies are with the Collier family. I remember when I played for the Washington Wizards during the 1996-'97 season and the team took a cruise together in early August. On the way back our assistant coach Derek Smith died of a heart attack next to me on the ship. Derek was a former NBA player who played 10 years and was an exceptional NBA athlete. After his death the doctors diagnosed he had an enlarged heart and was lucky to have played those ten years.

His death will cast a pall over the team for the rest of the season. This is already a young team and Collier was a popular player who had worked his butt off to get to the NBA. Even though Coach Smith died in August and we had almost six weeks to our first game it was still extremely difficult to play and not think of the tragedy.

Losing Coach Smith was unbelievably hard to deal with because he was such a great man and friend. He left a wife and two young children who were on the cruise ship at the time of his death. I'll never forget having breakfast with his children the morning after his death. It was one of the most heartbreaking moments of my life.

On the team the people feeling the loss the most will be Collier's closest friends. Everyday they are going to have to look over at his locker and the memories are going to start hitting them. It takes a long while for players to get over the passing of a teammate because teammates are like brothers. These are guys who are around you everyday and who see you at your best and worst. They hear your bad jokes, make fun of you and most of the time have your back. The loss of Collier is going to damage these kids for a long while because they've lost their brother.

Jeff Collier told the AP by phone from his home in Springfield, Ohio, that his son had knee surgery when he played in Houston.

"We don't know exactly what happened," he said. "I'm anxious to find out. But I guess it doesn't make a whole lot of difference at this point."

Howell said Collier and his wife ate dinner at a restaurant Friday night and then returned home, where Collier spent time playing with his daughter.

"He started feeling real bad in the middle of the night," said Howell, who spoke with Collier's wife. "It's just very sad. I'm totally stunned and devastated."

"He was a down-low comedian," Hawks captain Al Harrington said with tears in his eyes. "He always had a joke for something that you couldn't hear unless you were sitting right next to him. He was a hilarious dude. And it's crazy to me to think we'll never see him again."

Harrington and Collier sat near each other in the Hawks' locker room. He and guard Tony Delk took the news of Collier's death especially hard.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constituion, Delk said his and Collier's wives talked frequently and that their daughters played together often.

"Jason was just a different dude," Delk told the newspaper. "He lived out by Lake Lanier and nobody else on the team lives out that way. He used to talk about how his commute took forever. But he loved being by the lake."

Collier's death is particularly shocking in an era when an NBA player's health is so closely scrutinized. Eddy Curry, who was forced to miss time with the Chicago Bulls last year due to an irregular heartbeat, underwent numerous tests on his heart before his trade to the Knicks could be completed last week.

"I'm actually glad I took the test I did take [for the Knicks]," Curry told reporters before New York's preseason matchup with New Jersey on Saturday. "I had so many doctors look at everything about my heart to make sure I'm 100 percent ready to come on this court.

"But I hope [my situation doesn't overshadow] that something tragic happened and that it's a tough time for his family. You keep praying for the family and hope they make it through."

Collier was a part-time starting center the last two seasons after playing mostly as a backup in three years at Houston. He began his college career at Indiana before transferring to Georgia Tech.

Former Tech coach Bobby Cremins said Collier "was a happy-go-lucky kid."

"He married an Atlanta girl and adopted Atlanta as his hometown," Cremins said. "He came back and got his degree, which I was very proud of."

Collier started 44 games last season for Atlanta, averaging 5.7 points and 2.6 rebounds in 13.5 minutes. With the addition of Zaza Pachulia, Collier was not projected as a starter this season but was viewed as a top backup. In two preseason games, Collier averaged 3.5 points and 3.0 rebounds.

Collier was drafted by Milwaukee in 2000 in the first round, the 15th pick overall, and was traded to Houston.

Jeff Collier said Jason had been married to Katie for four years and had a 1-year-old daughter, Elezan.

The elder Collier played at Georgia Tech from 1972-76 and said his son initially decided to wear the same No. 52 he did at Tech.

"He was a beautiful kid," Collier said. "Everybody he touched liked him. He played basketball from the time he was in the fourth grade until now. I don't think the kid was ever in a fight or an altercation."

Funeral arrangements are incomplete but the family plans a private viewing.

"Jason didn't really care to be a spectacle," his father said. "He would have wanted this to be a quiet thing. Instead of people being grim, he wants them laughing."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
          AKA Sactolover05

Comment

Its sad.

All I can remember of him was passing by him on the 1st floor of the main library back fall 1995 (or 1996, as it might have been) in Bloomington. It was in the big audiovisual room with all the desks for reading, for those of you who might remember. He always had a few tutors with him. It'd kinda make you giggle. I remember he often wore a gray hooded sweatshirt. And he was a quiet guy. Kept to himself. Looked a bit naive and you could see the soft kid underneath the huge 7'0 exterior.

My memory of Jason Collier.
            "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Bradley
              Jason Collier died at 28. Keith Richards, against all odds, is 61. Try to make sense of that. Let me know if you ever do.
              Um, it's called genetics, dumbass. It appears Collier got screwed in that department.

Comment

This article has a few new bits and also a few comments from Baby Al:

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/traini...ohn&id=2193307

Mourning Hawks begin life without 'our brother'

By John Hollinger
                ESPN Insider
                Archive

ATLANTA -- Mike Woodson has faced many challenges in his lengthy career as a player and coach, but nothing has prepared him for this.

In the wake of center Jason Collier's death, it's up to the Hawks coach to steer the team through its grief yet still get his players to produce on the basketball court.

"I've never experienced anything like it in 23 years in basketball," said Woodson on Sunday. "Nobody expected this, but as a coach, I've got to help these guys get though it."

That job doesn't end after Collier's funeral on Wednesday -- in fact, it's only beginning. The death will hang over Woodson's team the entire season. The memory will be there at every practice and home game as they walk by Collier's empty locker. And if they try to forget, they'll be asked to remember at every road stop, as a new group of reporters shows up to ask the same questions about their fallen teammate.

For Atlanta, the jolt comes just as the franchise was hoping to emerge from several years of malaise. The Hawks were a wreck last season, winning only 13 games in front of a largely empty arena while waiting for the healing power of free agent dollars and high draft picks to take hold. But this year's training camp brought a fountain of optimism. With the offseason additions of Joe Johnson, Zaza Pachulia and Marvin Williams, and the ouster of impeding part-owner Steve Belkin, Atlanta began camp with as much hope as it had in years.

The sense of optimism that pervaded the opening weeks of camp is long gone now. Woodson has to replace that gloom, or at least find an outlet for it, and his first step was to run the team through a two-and-a-half hour practice on Sunday -- about an hour longer than his norm. He described the mood as "upbeat, considering the situation."

But while getting back on the court after yesterday's practice was canceled helped get the team back into a routine, the players were still shell-shocked by the news.

"I was getting ready to go to practice and got a phone call from [assistant] coach [David] Fizdale. I didn't know how to react. It's something I never had to go through," said swingman Josh Childress.

The Hawks' backup center, Collier was an anomaly in the Hawks' locker room. He was a five-year vet on a roster containing nine players with two years experience or less. And his bass-fishing, country-living ways (he lived on a lake about an hour's drive from Philips Arena) stood in marked contrast to those of his younger, more citified teammates.

Nonetheless, his easygoing nature won him many friends, especially forward Al Harrington. The 6-9 forward shared a corner of the locker room with Collier and said he was dedicating his season to him.

"He was a very funny guy, always positive. Nothing ever got to him," said Harrington. "[The public] wouldn't think it was the case, but we spent so much time together it really was like he was our brother."

And as a longtime Atlanta resident on a team full of recent transplants -- no other Hawk had been on the team more than a year -- he was also a prime source for information and advice about life in the Peach State. In fact, that's my last memory of Collier -- giving directions to a training camp signee trying to get somewhere after Atlanta's preseason game against Orlando on Tuesday.

Now it's up to Woodson to give the directions, in the figurative sense. Sadly, one of the players who would have been most helpful in that pursuit is now gone.

"He was an ultimate pro," said Woodson of Collier. "He did everything I asked from a coaching standpoint."

Woodson has to replace Collier on the court as well. He started 44 games last season, averaging 13 minutes per game, and figured to play a similar amount this year as Zaza Pachulia's primary backup at center. The southpaw was Atlanta's best shooting big man and was especially effective on pick-and-pop plays. Filling that void will be either Uruguayan rookie Esteban Batista or second-year pro John Edwards, but neither offers the combination of size and skill that Collier did.

Overall, no coach will face a tougher challenge this season than Woodson. Not only does he have to resuscitate a 13-win team with a moribund fan base, one that now is desperately short of big men, but he must do so while playing grief counselor on the side and navigating the team through constant reminders of its loss.

"That's my job," Woodson said bravely on Sunday, but one has to think this never showed up in the description of his duties.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider.
                “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Comment

It's extremely unfortunate..Nobody deserves to die this young.

Prayers to his family and friends.

Comment

My condolences
                    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonica
                      Um, it's called genetics, dumbass. It appears Collier got screwed in that department.
                      It's called Life.

Life isn't fair. That is the beauty of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stryder

Comment

Originally posted by Hicks
                          What is the eye rolling for?

I find beauty in the randomness of life. So?

Comment

Originally posted by Stryder
                            It's called Life.

Yeah, but then you're resorting to the same kind of platitudinous philosophical BS the writer of that article is. Sure life isn't fair, but fairness has nothing to do with it. It's about genetics with regard to his silly remark, not some grander statement about life.

Comment

Basically these are complicated issues.

At such a young age, barring drugs/alcohol, genetics are likely to have contributed to Collier's death. The other important thing to think about here is that he might have had a blood clot which got "thrown" to the lungs. Blood clots in young ppl like Jason are more likely to be a case of congenital defect. I guess we'll find out more tomorrow, or whenever the autopsy results are released.
                              "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Comment

Originally posted by Kaufman
                                Basically these are complicated issues.

At such a young age, barring drugs/alcohol, genetics are likely to have contributed to Collier's death. The other important thing to think about here is that he might have had a blood clot which got "thrown" to the lungs. Blood clots in young ppl like Jason are more likely to be a case of congenital defect. I guess we'll find out more tomorrow, or whenever the autopsy results are released.
                                Even if it was drug or alcohol related, with regard to the Keith Richards reference, genetics would still factor into it when making a comparison between the two, as the writer of that article did. Richards did drugs, especially heroin, in excess. His body obviously was able to withstand a prolonged addiction and abuse of various drugs. How is one person able to do cocaine or heroin, for example, for many years, while another person does it one time and dies? Genetics. Yes, you could say the addict builds up a tolerance, but two first-time users can take the same dose of the same drug at the same time and have very different reactions.

Comment

Working...
                                X