Paul George on extension: 'I want to play on a winning team' (Indystar)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vnzla81
    • Jul 2008

Paul George on extension: 'I want to play on a winning team' (Indystar)

Thoughts?

"As I told Larry, I always want to play on a winning team," George said on the program. "I always want to be part of a team that has a chance to win it (all). That's important. Say what you want; I want to compete for something. It's frustrating just playing the game for stats or for numbers or to showcase yourself. Man, I want a chance to play for a chance to win a championship.
    "I want to be the first to bring a championship to Indiana. So that's still on my mind ... and something I definitely want to achieve in Indiana."
    In January, Pacers President Larry Bird told IndyStar, "Before the year started, I told Paul and I said, ‘Look, if you want to sign a long-term deal, we’re willing to do that max (contract) and if you want to wait, I understand.’ But this year, we’re not going to worry about it, we’re not going to talk about it and he’s going to make the decision that’s best for Paul when it comes down to it.”
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!
  • TMJ31
    BOOM BABY!
    • Mar 2004

Re: Paul George on extension: 'I want to play on a winning team' (Indystar)

There seems to be an impasse building between what Bird has wanted to build the last couple years and the direction that Paul thinks the team should go. I mean just look at his comments after the Wiz game. He's obviously frustrated and upset over the construction of the roster. Now I am not going to absolve him of any culpability, far from it. But at the same time he's seeing the league change and the Pacers haven't really adapted as much as they need to if they really want to compete at the level Paul is talking about.

I still think a lot of it has to do with coaching, personally. And last night we learned that there is almost certainly a degree of locker room cancer coming from somewhere (I have my suspicions). Add to that some struggles with injury and underwhelming play from a couple pieces we added (Al mostly), and yeah - we're average at best. Capable of getting hot and riding a wave of good vibes for a week or two, but also capable of looking like a JV high school team for the very next week.

I don't blame Paul for being frustrated, changes need to be made. I've always got the Pacers back. I support the coaching staff and all the players because they represent my team and I generally think that almost all of them are likable and good guys to root for. But at some point that has to be secondary to the greater good for the team itself, and that time is here.

Anyone not named Paul or Myles is on the block, if I am Larry. And when it comes to the "mystery cancer" that was inferred after last night's game, I would trade him (or them) for literally almost anything just to rid the team of their presence. If a trade couldn't be found, send them to the D-League or just waive them, I don't care about salary or years left. If they are impacting the team to the point where it's causing the locker room to suffer this dramatically and we could potentially lose the most talented player to ever wear a Pacers uniform, you get RID of the people responsible for that toxic environment at all costs.

But -- Probably nothing will happen and everything will continue to suck.

Comment

• freddielewis14
      ---------
      • Jun 2008

Seeing the entire quote, prob no big deal. Wants to win, but will likely take the money.

Comment

• jrwannabe
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by TMJ31

There seems to be an impasse building between what Bird has wanted to build the last couple years and the direction that Paul thinks the team should go. I mean just look at his comments after the Wiz game. He's obviously frustrated and upset over the construction of the roster. Now I am not going to absolve him of any culpability, far from it. But at the same time he's seeing the league change and the Pacers haven't really adapted as much as they need to if they really want to compete at the level Paul is talking about.

I still think a lot of it has to do with coaching, personally. And last night we learned that there is almost certainly a degree of locker room cancer coming from somewhere (I have my suspicions). Add to that some struggles with injury and underwhelming play from a couple pieces we added (Al mostly), and yeah - we're average at best. Capable of getting hot and riding a wave of good vibes for a week or two, but also capable of looking like a JV high school team for the very next week.

I don't blame Paul for being frustrated, changes need to be made. I've always got the Pacers back. I support the coaching staff and all the players because they represent my team and I generally think that almost all of them are likable and good guys to root for. But at some point that has to be secondary to the greater good for the team itself, and that time is here.

Anyone not named Paul or Myles is on the block, if I am Larry. And when it comes to the "mystery cancer" that was inferred after last night's game, I would trade him (or them) for literally almost anything just to rid the team of their presence. If a trade couldn't be found, send them to the D-League or just waive them, I don't care about salary or years left. If they are impacting the team to the point where it's causing the locker room to suffer this dramatically and we could potentially lose the most talented player to ever wear a Pacers uniform, you get RID of the people responsible for that toxic environment at all costs.

But -- Probably nothing will happen and everything will continue to suck.
        We keep hearing about this locker room situation. Said in an earlier post that there was only 2 players over all these years (I was wrong there are 4). Who could be the issue: PG, CJ, LaVoy, and Stuckey. Ummmmm

Comment

• Unclebuck
          Administrator
          • Jan 2004

I just jumped out my 25th floor office building window.

Oh, wait, No I didn't. To the comments from PG. No duh. No news here. he wants to play for a winner. OMG.

Comment

• MUpaceSIC
            • Mar 2011

Comes closer to confirming what I've thought over the last year. He's going to leave, and we'll be left with nothing if not traded before this off season. I understand not wanting to trade him at this deadline because you want to know the draft order since that is when you can really evaluate the return with any trades offering draft picks. However, you need to actually listen to these offers. We're doomed for a long time if he leaves and we get nothing back. I'm fine with keeping him IF he actually wants to stay, and starts playing like the superstar he thinks he is.

Comment

• TMJ31
              BOOM BABY!
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jrwannabe
              We keep hearing about this locker room situation. Said in an earlier post that there was only 2 players over all these years (I was wrong there are 4). Who could be the issue: PG, CJ, LaVoy, and Stuckey. Ummmmm
              My gut tells me it's none of the above, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• sav
                • Jun 2012

Let's not forget, Bird is just in his second season of totally changing the roster and style of play.

He has made some good moves...and not so good moves, but it looks to me like we are on the right track. We need to improve our bench, get rid of a couple of players and find a starting 3 & D wing. We can't do all of that at the trade deadline, but we can work on it. Hopefully with a trade or two by the deadline and some moves in the off season, we can be back to being a top team in the East. If we can do that, I think Paul will stay.

Comment

• vnzla81
                  • Jul 2008

I have seen players say the same thing to their teams before getting traded or leaving, this is quote for "trade me to a winning team or I'm leaving".
                  @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• wintermute
                    Artificial Intelligence
                    • Jan 2004

Note also that he specifically says that he wants to win in Indiana. Nothing really new in what he said.

PG will be offered a boatload of cash this offseason by the Pacers (possibly a larger boatload if he makes all-NBA). It's all up to him. If he extends, then great. If he refuses, well then the Pacers will have to make a decision.

Comment

• Pacersalltheway10
                      B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
                      • Jun 2010

The real ultimatum should come this off-season. If he accepts the extention great. If not, trade him then and there. It would be nice though to have at least a "verbal, agreement or not in place before the draft just in case Boston wants to offer that pick. Just in case.

Comment

• Cousy47
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Pacersalltheway10
                        The real ultimatum should come this off-season. If he accepts the extention great. If not, trade him then and there. It would be nice though to have at least a "verbal, agreement or not in place before the draft just in case Boston wants to offer that pick. Just in case.
                        Wouldn't you think the F.O. would have a pretty good guess as to what PG wants to do about his extension by now? Are we really depending on this team to suddenly catch fire and go so far in the playoffs that it would tip Paul one way or the other? Depending on a broken stick, as the old saying goes. This cat and mouse BS about re-signing Paul gets old to me. Offer him the extension or trade him away during the off season, but shut up about it now and concentrate on the season we are trying our best to throw away.

Comment

• sav
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Cousy47
                          Wouldn't you think the F.O. would have a pretty good guess as to what PG wants to do about his extension by now? Are we really depending on this team to suddenly catch fire and go so far in the playoffs that it would tip Paul one way or the other? Depending on a broken stick, as the old saying goes. This cat and mouse BS about re-signing Paul gets old to me. Offer him the extension or trade him away during the off season, but shut up about it now and concentrate on the season we are trying our best to throw away.

"In January, Pacers President Larry Bird told IndyStar, "Before the year started, I told Paul and I said, ‘Look, if you want to sign a long-term deal, we’re willing to do that max (contract) and if you want to wait, I understand.’ But this year, we’re not going to worry about it, we’re not going to talk about it and he’s going to make the decision that’s best for Paul when it comes down to it.”

Comment

• Ace E.Anderson
                            • Dec 2011

Who doesn't want to play for a winner? If I were him, I wouldn't sign an extension and put the pressure on Bird to build a winner.

Comment

• Foul on Smits
                              • Jun 2010

We're gonna lose him and get nothing in return, or we trade him. That's pretty clear. And knowing the luck of Indianapolis, we'll lose him with nothing in return cause Bird is a moron.

Comment

Working...