X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peck
    Administrator
    • Jan 2004

Happy Anniversary?

Here is your thread to talk about the brawl or whatever you want to call it. I know most of us would just as soon forget it ever happened but it is the 10th anniversary so it is a milestone in some way's. So here is your place to discuss this and hopefully keep this stuff out of the game thread and post game threads.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13
  • Mr_Smith
    pacer fan since 88-89
    • May 2009

Re: Happy Anniversary?

That's one night I'll never forget. I remember seeing Ron-Ron laying on the scorers table, then I look away and then as I look back at the TV, Ron-Ron is in the stands. Just wow
    Larry Bird and Ryan Grigson- wasting the talents of Paul George and Andrew Luck

Comment

• Sandman21
      SABONIS! :(
      • Jul 2007

Burn it. Please.
      "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

Comment

• MagicRat
        ENABEABLER
        • Jan 2004

Awww man. I thought this was going to be about my #twitterversary. #disappointed
        PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Comment

• RamBo_Lamar
          • Aug 2006

Am reminded of the words of Franklin Roosevelt; "a date which will live in infamy".

Comment

• idioteque
            hopeful
            • May 2006

What is this "brawl" you speak of?

Comment

• RWB
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Sandman21
              Burn it. Please.
              Yep!!! In the year 2050 when they bring up one of those top 10 worst moments in sports history things the Pacers will still make the list.
              You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

• beast23
                • Jan 2004

Peck, my friend.... You are just twisted.

Ten years later.....

Still disappointed with my guys for getting out of control, no matter what the situation.

Totally pissed with the Pistons organization for not providing adequate security and for basically getting a free pass for the part in the entire event.

Comment

• BillS
                  Angry Old Poster
                  • Mar 2004

*sigh*

I was heartbroken to see it. At the moment, I truly thought it was the end of the franchise (quelle suprise, eh, Trader Joe?) - certainly it was the end of being relevant in the NBA for quite some time.

I was heartened by the general level of support given to Artest and the team, but when he bit the hand that fed him the next year it made it even harder to take.

Subsequent incidents would not have rocked the fan base anywhere near as much had there not been the brawl at the perceptive foundation of them.
                  BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                  Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

• cdash
                    Whale Shepherd
                    • Jun 2009

I like you Peck, I do. You seem like a good dude through the interwebs. So I say this with as much respect as possible: Die.

Comment

• Sollozzo
                      • Jan 2004

I'll never forget watching this live with my friends in high school. It was so shocking to watch live when you had no clue what was going to happen next.

What a bizarre season. You had the sky high expectations going in that were validated by waxing Detroit. Then you had this devastating event, the suspensions, and the no-name fill in players. Things seemed dark, but then Reggie got healthy and announced that he was retiring. The focus of the season then shifted from the brawl aftermath to Reggie. The team actually fought really hard down the stretch with Reggie, Stephen Jackson, Anthony Johnson, and newly added Dale Davis. We won that Game 7 in Boston and then took Detroit to 6 games, which ironically is how far we took them the year before with Artest (albeit it was the ECF's in 04 as opposed to the semis in 05).

Because of the Reggie hype and the fact that the team competed hard after the brawl, the brawl wasn't immediately fatal to the franchise. It was the next year when Artest stabbed the franchise in the back that things began to unravel. There was no Reggie hype to bail us out and we had a very mediocre team. Things just got worse and worse with the hideous Dunleavy/Murphy trade and JOB. We didn't start to recover until Vogel and the 2011 playoff series against Chicago. The brawl began a nasty 6 year stretch for the franchise. It's almost impossible for a sports franchise to have a worse 6 year stretch than the Pacers did from 04-10.

Comment

• Major Cold
                        Gone to Twitter. Done he
                        • Feb 2006

I was stuck in what I thought was hell. Nine hours of Atlanta traffic. Then I got to my hotel to find out what hell was really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Trader Joe
                          DIET COKE!
                          • Jan 2006

Last edited by Peck; 11-20-2014, 05:17 AM. Reason: Ahem, a little hot for PD

Comment

• Grover
                            • Jun 2010

Still can't believe the Pistons/Ben got away with that...

...and for those who still complain about Ron-Ron laying down on the scorer's bench, he was still on Stern's "zero tolerance" list and I defy you to come up with any action he could have taken that would have settled Ben Wallace down short of just allowing himself to be murdered on the floor?

Comment

• immortality
                              • Feb 2007

Probably the best recap of the events:

"I think a lot of us made a lot of selfish decisions that day. I made a selfish decision to stop trying to break it up and to confront Lindsey Hunter and Richard Hamilton. That was my selfish decision. Ron made a selfish decision by going into the stands. We all made selfish decisions, but at the same time, we were protecting each other. It’s kind of hard to see if that’s right or wrong.”

— Stephen Jackson

Comment

Working...