Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • immortality
    • Feb 2007

Zach Lowe on Lance and Pacer's loss

Starting Miles is an option, and the Pacers’ four-year, $18 million deal for him is a big bet on his becoming a more well-rounded player. He’d certainly provide more spacing for the starters, and the Pacers could slot Stuckey in as co-point guard with C.J. Watson on second units — a role that Stephenson played last season. But starting Miles would place an enormous burden on George to create damn near everything from the perimeter, and as great a two-way player as George is at his peak, he hasn’t proven up to that kind of responsibility.
    Scoring will be a major challenge for Frank Vogel and his staff. Vogel has done well in Indiana, but the team’s offense has stagnated as the defense developed into a juggernaut. The defense should remain stout next season, though Miles and Stuckey mark a step down from Stephenson on that end. Stuckey can’t slide over to small forwards like Stephenson can, and Miles, though rangy, has occasional lapses in alertness that have frustrated prior coaches. George is going to be exhausted by the end of next season.

Still: The system will work as long as George and Hibbert are around. Indy was a borderline top-five defense even as the team fell apart after the All-Star break. Joke about Hibbert’s bricky shooting and lack of rebounding, but recognize he was still scaring the crap out of John Wall and Bradley Beal in the conference semifinals.

The offense needs more care. Really, it needs a total revamp, a task that gets harder without Stephenson. Vogel has to make better use of his bench, including the duo of stretch power forwards he now has in Copeland and Rudez. There just needs to be more continuity — more movement, more cohesion, no more dudes mucking up the team’s spacing by standing in random spots inside the 3-point line. A one-way team can get only so far. The Pacers stand as the best current evidence of that.
    Looks like Vogel is going to have his work cut out for him, hopefully we can see some creativity.

• joew8302
    • Jul 2008

Re: Zach Lowe on Lance and Pacer's loss

Scoring was a major problem with Stephenson because he was a massive ball stopper.

If we insert Miles we may be less talented, but I am sure we will be a better passing team with a smoother offense.

Comment

• freddielewis14
      ---------
      • Jun 2008

Zach Lowe is one of the best, in this article he's leaning towards Hornets being very good and Pacers taking a step back, but acknowledges the complete opposite is very possible.

I'm takin the latter...

Comment

• dal9
        Can see thru wooden doors
        • Dec 2007

signing Lance would have been worth it just so that Bird is forced to cut Scola...I am becoming very worried that they actually do mean to keep him next year...throwing good money after bad...

Comment

• Trader Joe
          DIET COKE!
          • Jan 2006

I don't think we would have spent on Allen if we actually planned on keeping Scola long term JMO

Comment

• BRushWithDeath
            Play McRoberts and Price!
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Trader Joe
            I don't think we would have spent on Allen if we actually planned on keeping Scola long term JMO
            I don't think Lavoy Allen's deal has anything to do with any long term plans.
            "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Comment

• Infinite MAN_force
              Lurker of the Year
              • Jul 2007

A lot is going to depend on Hibbert going forward, he needs to bounce back in a big way because it appears we are going to be running a lot of offense inside out through the post again. My bet is that CJ Miles and improved spacing should help in this department. The defense should be just as good as ever, the offense will continue to be the question mark. Paul George improving his handle would also be a big deal.
              "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Comment

• joew8302
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by freddielewis14
                Zach Lowe is one of the best, in this article he's leaning towards Hornets being very good and Pacers taking a step back, but acknowledges the complete opposite is very possible.

I'm takin the latter...
                Yeah. Basically he covered himself no matter what actually happens.

Comment

• Mourning
                  All is full of Orange!
                  • Jan 2004

Consider me worried about our allready pretty bad ball-handling taking another step back and us becoming (much) more vulnerable when opposing teams increase the pressure on our ball-handlers , aswell as trapping them.

Complain about Lance beying a ballhog, he is, all you want aswell as his TO's, but he OTOH was pretty damn good when facing intense pressure and keeping the ball.

So, PG, besides beying our primary offensive and defensive player with IMHO too much ball-handling duties allready this pastseason probably gets even more ball-handling duties now. Swell... Lets burn our starplayer out even more and btw increase the probability/chance of him suffering a major injury in the process.
                  Last edited by Mourning; 07-17-2014, 05:36 PM.
                  2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Comment

• Tom White
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Trader Joe
                    Any chance Allen has more of an effect on Mahinmi's future than Scola's future?

Comment

• Grimp
                      • May 2013

Originally posted by Infinite MAN_force
                      A lot is going to depend on Hibbert going forward, he needs to bounce back in a big way because it appears we are going to be running a lot of offense inside out through the post again. My bet is that CJ Miles and improved spacing should help in this department. The defense should be just as good as ever, the offense will continue to be the question mark. Paul George improving his handle would also be a big deal.

IMF....... Miles is a great shooter. I think what could work is CJ Miles starting at the two? And us getting an elite point guard. Stuckey and Watson coming off the bench. The question is, who to deal where we don't leave too many holes behind? Hibbert being dealt means we need a replacement center. If you package him and Hill together, you can get a dynamic PG, and a replacement center.

Comment

• BlueCollarColts
                        • Oct 2012

Well this is where George Hill comes in on the creating side of the offense. Paul George will have to create more offense yes, but George Hill will now be tasked to be a creator as well. I think something the national media misses is how good of a player Hill actually is when aggressive. I think everyone who watched Hill in SA and here when aggressive knows he can create, and without Lance, he will be forced to be aggressive. Stuckey isn't a bad creator himself either.

Comment

• idioteque
                          hopeful
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Grimp
                          IMF....... Miles is a great shooter. I think what could work is CJ Miles starting at the two? And us getting an elite point guard. Stuckey and Watson coming off the bench. The question is, who to deal where we don't leave too many holes behind? Hibbert being dealt means we need a replacement center. If you package him and Hill together, you can get a dynamic PG, and a replacement center.

Comment

• Mourning
                            All is full of Orange!
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BlueCollarColts
                            Well this is where George Hill comes in on the creating side of the offense. Paul George will have to create more offense yes, but George Hill will now be tasked to be a creator as well. I think something the national media misses is how good of a player Hill actually is when aggressive. I think everyone who watched Hill in SA and here when aggressive knows he can create, and without Lance, he will be forced to be aggressive. Stuckey isn't a bad creator himself either.
                            And our courtvision and our ability to actually deliver the ball quickly and accurately? What do you think about that part of the equation for next season?
                            2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Comment

• presto123
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mourning
                              And our courtvision and our ability to actually deliver the ball quickly and accurately? What do you think about that part of the equation for next season?
                              Pacers offense delivered the ball quickly and accurately? What team were you watching?

Comment

Working...