X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pwee31
    Release Psycho T
    • Aug 2006

Potential Pacers Free Agent Targets

It's a slideshow so I can post the article in here. I may have been off on the Suns pair as it seems like LeBron and Melo are their main targets, but you never know if they miss out on those 2.
  • Grimp
    • May 2013

Re: Potential Pacers Free Agent Targets

The article writer is in sync with my line of thinking. I love the idea of making a move for Dragic and Bledsoe. If the Suns want Hibbert, I say make the deal. Getting back Bledsoe or Dragic would give us our much-needed PG upgrade. All the while clearing salary, because Phoenix is under the cap enough to take on Roy and send back smaller-salaried players. We could have money leftover to throw at Gortat or Monroe.

Most likely Gortat, since Herb doesn't like us pursuing Restricted Free Agents. Adding Jodie Meeks is another suggestion the article makes that I like. DUDE CAN SHOOT. And he is good off screens and going to the basket as well. I don't care for the Seflosha idea too much. Nor do I care for Paul Pierce. He's just too old and too slow now. We don't need more slowness. And he WILL NOT ACCEPT coming off the bench. Plus, he said after Brooklyn lost in the playoffs that he's done. Most likely will retire. By the way, here's a list of FREE AGENT CENTERS......

^ In a hypothetical scenario, where we trade Roy to Phoenix for Eric Bledsoe or Goran Dragic? We could sign Channing Frye or Spencer Hawes to be our centers. Hawes is about an inch shorter than Roy. He's a good rebounder, and can shoot from deep.

Frye is 6'11 and can shoot from deep. I'd trust him more because he's a veteran. But his health issues, albeit seemingly resolved scare me a little bit. Hawes or Frye, would be cheaper than Gortat. That'd leave us enough money to add Jodie Meeks who the article suggests.

West
    PG
    Hawes/Frye
    Lance
    Goran/Eric

LaVoy
    Copeland
    Ivan Johnson
    Meeks
    CJ
    Last edited by Grimp; 06-29-2014, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• ECKrueger
      Boilermaker (TJL)
      • Oct 2007

(1) Lance Stephenson
      (2) Goran Dragic/Eric Bledsoe
      (3) Paul Pierce
      (4) Jodie Meeks & Anthony Morrow
      (5) Kris Humphries, Jordan Hill, Glen Davis, Andray Blatche
      (6) Shawn Marion & Thabo Shefolosha

Out of those I'd like Lance back, either Suns guard, Morrow, and Shefolosha.

Comment

• Grimp
        • May 2013

Originally posted by ECKrueger
        (1) Lance Stephenson
        (2) Goran Dragic/Eric Bledsoe
        (3) Paul Pierce
        (4) Jodie Meeks & Anthony Morrow
        (5) Kris Humphries, Jordan Hill, Glen Davis, Andray Blatche
        (6) Shawn Marion & Thabo Shefolosha

Out of those I'd like Lance back, either Suns guard, Morrow, and Shefolosha.

Hahaha! Like the avatar sig.

Why do you prefer Morrow over Meeks though? Meeks I've watched him play, he seems quicker, more nimble, and mixes slashing to the basket with shooting the 3.

Also how would you handle the tricky situation of giving Eric Bledsoe an extension? He's a restricted free agent now. But if traded here it'd be a S&T.

Comment

• ECKrueger
          Boilermaker (TJL)
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Grimp
          Hahaha! Like the avatar sig.

Why do you prefer Morrow over Meeks though? Meeks I've watched him play, he seems quicker, more nimble, and mixes slashing to the basket with shooting the 3.

Also how would you handle the tricky situation of giving Eric Bledsoe an extension? He's a restricted free agent now. But if traded here it'd be a S&T.
          I can't honestly offer a lot of reasoning, I don't watch many team outside Indy. From what I understand though, Morrow is an elite 3 point shooter, which I think we really need. Not a fan of guys who look good on crappy teams and I haven't heard much about Meeks before LA. Feel like Morrow knows who he is and would be good with coming off our bench and knocking down triples.

I am sure we couldn't sign Bledsoe, I didn't really know or think about his contract, I'd just like him.

I'll also admit we probably do not need Thabo. Need more offense, but I love a good defender.

Comment

• Grimp
            • May 2013

I can't honestly offer a lot of reasoning, I don't watch many team outside Indy. From what I understand though, Morrow is an elite 3 point shooter, which I think we really need. Not a fan of guys who look good on crappy teams and I haven't heard much about Meeks before LA. Feel like Morrow knows who he is and would be good with coming off our bench and knocking down triples.

I am sure we couldn't sign Bledsoe, I didn't really know or think about his contract, I'd just like him.

I'll also admit we probably do not need Thabo. Need more offense, but I love a good defender.

Meeks and Nick Young carried the Lakers this season in terms of giving the fans anything to cheer about. Meeks had 42 against OKC. I think Thabo was guarding him and Westbrook at times. Morrow is a good shooter but he never goes to the basket. I watched Meeks play against Portland and the Knicks as a Laker. Meeks can go into unconscious mode when it comes to shooting. Versus Portland he was going to the rim at will in some cases. Slashing one-hand floaters, dunks, etc. He's one of those players who will come off a pick, and go right to the basket off the curl. I like that.

Comment

• ECKrueger
              Boilermaker (TJL)
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Grimp
              Meeks and Nick Young carried the Lakers this season in terms of giving the fans anything to cheer about. Meeks had 42 against OKC. I think Thabo was guarding him and Westbrook at times. Morrow is a good shooter but he never goes to the basket. I watched Meeks play against Portland and the Knicks as a Laker. Meeks can go into unconscious mode when it comes to shooting. Versus Portland he was going to the rim at will in some cases. Slashing one-hand floaters, dunks, etc. He's one of those players who will come off a pick, and go right to the basket off the curl. I like that.
              Eh, if he could replicate it off the bench while not being a focus I'd be okay with it. Like we've seen, this is where bench players typically come to die. I think a shooter would adapt much easier than someone who had such a large role, and likely wants to continue to.

Comment

• Grimp
                • May 2013

Eh, if he could replicate it off the bench while not being a focus I'd be okay with it. Like we've seen, this is where bench players typically come to die. I think a shooter would adapt much easier than someone who had such a large role, and likely wants to continue to.
                I felt the same way after the trade for Turner. Turner can do much more than Meeks. He can post up, pass quite well, take people off the dribble with an array of fancy moves. Meeks is more a prototypical 2 guard. He comes off screens, catches, shoots. Or dribbles forward then pulls back with a crossover and shoots. Or comes off screens hard, curls into the lane, and attacks the rim for a layup or floater over the defender.

He's definitely a shooting guard. Not a split-position player. Turner is, so fitting him here was hard. Turner can do forward things and guard things. Meeks was brought there to back up Kobe. But well, the injuries and everything rose him and elevated him to starter. He'd adapt better here, plus have an off-season to iron out any kinks. Very important. Plus Meeks doesn't have that pressure on him. Turner believe it or not, is still trying to prove people wrong about his draft position and the criticism. He has a lot of mental stuff built up that he tries too hard on the court to alleviate.

Turner needs to go to a team where the coach can work out his personal stuff. And then fit him into a unit where he's surrounded by young, athletic run and gun types.

Comment

• joew8302
                  • Jul 2008

Our first priority is Lance. After that we will probably have little money to do anything substantial.

I really hope whoever we do pick up is signed off on by both Vogel and Bird. I would hate to get into another situation where we sign a guy like Copeland to fill a need and is never used. I think there is a disconnect between Frank and Larry somewhere.

Comment

• Grimp
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by joew8302
                    Our first priority is Lance. After that we will probably have little money to do anything substantial.

I really hope whoever we do pick up is signed off on by both Vogel and Bird. I would hate to get into another situation where we sign a guy like Copeland to fill a need and is never used. I think there is a disconnect between Frank and Larry somewhere.

Frank needs to add a new assistant coach who's all about offense. Brian Shaw handled most of the offense when he was here. When he left, it looked horrible. I don't know how it works with assistant coaches as far as how long they stay on or are contractually allowed to. But we need to dump McMillan and bring in someone like D'Antoni for offense. I can't see Mike getting a coaching job as head coach this season anyways. So why not roll with us for a few years as an asstnt. to pad his resume?

Comment

• ECKrueger
                      Boilermaker (TJL)
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by joew8302

Really, really disagree. They got Cope, then found a trade for Scola. Either way, I don't think Cope proves there is any thing between them.

Comment

• Sparhawk
                        • Nov 2009

I'd let Lance sign elsewhere for the opportunity to get Bledsoe.

Definitely need to sign Morrow no matter what.

Blesdoe-Morrow-PG-West-Len

Hill would be where he belongs as 6th man.

Could then try and sign and trade Lance to get a big back, maybe Greg Monroe.
                        First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

Comment

• 3rdStrike
                          • Jul 2006

Nice list!

Dragic is my dream Pacers acquisition. He fits what we need like a glove. Hibbert doesn't fit their uptempo style, but Phoenix is probably planning to make adjustments to turn into a legit contender anyway, so they can use him to match up with the Gasols and Duncans of the Western Conference.

Comment

• Grimp
                            • May 2013

Originally posted by Sparhawk
                            I'd let Lance sign elsewhere for the opportunity to get Bledsoe.

Definitely need to sign Morrow no matter what.

Blesdoe-Morrow-PG-West-Len

Hill would be where he belongs as 6th man.

Could then try and sign and trade Lance to get a big back, maybe Greg Monroe.

You trust Bledsoe's knee?

I think Meeks would be far superior to Morrow. CJ Miles as well.

We don't need Len back in the Phoenix trade. We can sign Channing Frye or Spencer Hawes to be our starting centers. Frye is a stretch 5 kind of player.

I'd still move Hill for OJ Mayo or Thornton after it was all over.

Comment

• PaulGeorgeHill
                              aka PaulGeorgeHill
                              • Jul 2012

I'm almost convinced now that pwee and Grimp are the same person...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...