X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Future
    • Jun 2010

Why Lance Stephenson Will Be Worth Every Penny [Real GM]

By: Jonathan Tjarks

Lance Stephenson became a lightning rod for criticism in this year’s Eastern Conference Finals, as if it were his fault the Indiana Pacers didn’t space the floor, never upgraded their bench and were relying on big men who couldn’t compete on both sides of the ball. While some of his on-court antics were a little over the line, it was all in good fun. Far more important is what a special basketball player he is, the type of talent that is rarely available in free agency.

Still only 23 years old, Stephenson has turned himself into one of the most well-rounded shooting guards in the NBA. At 6’5 230 with a 6’10 wingspan, he’s an elite athlete who can match up with all three perimeter positions. He can create his own shot off the dribble, stretch the floor out to the three-point line, create shots for his teammates and clean the glass at a high level. He averaged 14 points, 7 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1 steal a game on 45% shooting in this year’s playoffs.

The only thing holding him back from stardom is opportunity. In the regular season, he took only 11 shots a game and had a usage rating of 19.4, which was tied for third highest in the starting line-up with Roy Hibbert. Paul George and David West were the first two options in Indiana - Lance never really got to show what he could do in their system. It’s simple math. What’s going to happen when a guy who shoots 49% from the field at 11 shots gets 15-17?

Even if his field goal percentage went down with more responsibility, it would have to crater for him not to be at 20+ points a game as a primary option. George took 17 shots a game while shooting 42% from the field and people said Lance was the selfish player. The reality was that he was the far better decision-maker and playmaker of the two - he lead the Pacers in assists and had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.7, with George lagging far behind at 1.25.

Those are the things you have to look at when projecting a younger player into a bigger role. Two years ago, James Harden averaged 16 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists a game on 43% shooting in the playoffs for the Oklahoma City Thunder. Just like Stephenson, Harden excelled in the role he was forced to play on the team that drafted him, but he was ready for a much bigger role. Don’t mistake opportunity for talent, especially not with a 23-year-old.

That’s what makes Stephenson such a fascinating player this summer - he’s an elite talent who is an unrestricted free agent at 23. Because he was a second-round pick, he doesn’t have the same type of restrictions on his contract as guys like Gordon Hayward, Greg Monroe and Eric Bledsoe. To get one of those guys this off-season, a team would have to give up a king’s ransom in assets. The only thing Stephenson is going to cost you is money.

Adding an All-Star level talent in free agency, particularly one who can improve your team on both sides of the ball, is the quickest way to jump-start a franchise. For the most part, you have to get those types of players in trades, if you are going to get them at all. Since the vast majority of elite talent is taken in the first round, they don’t hit the market until their third contract in the NBA, when they have almost a decade’s worth of games on their legs.

That’s why free agency tends to be so dicey - only the best of the best can play at a high level well into their second decade in the NBA. Basketball is a young man’s game, so by the time a guy has reached his early 30’s, he’s well into the decline stage of his career. When a guy is declining from a peak as high as LeBron James, that’s no big deal. For just about everyone else, though, a third contract is paying them for what they were instead of what they will be.

As a rule, older players tend to do two things in the NBA - they get hurt and they get worse. The real gamble in free agency isn’t the young hot-head like Stephenson, it’s an older veteran like Luol Deng. Counting the playoffs, Deng has played over 26,000 minutes and 725 games in the NBA, most of those in Tom Thibodeau’s manic, high-intensity system. That’s an awful lot of miles already on his body and that’s before he loses a step as he moves into his 30’s.

Stephenson, in contrast, is only on his second contract in the league, so you are signing him for the prime of his career. If he doesn’t get any better, you are getting a two-way starter in his mid 20’s and a guy whose already proven he can be a key contributor on a 55+ win team. If he improves, you are getting the chance to buy low on one of the elite young players in the NBA. This is a guy who can match up physically with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

There’s only a small handful of players in the league you can say that about and none of them are going to be on the market anytime soon. Stephenson comes with a lot of baggage, but it’s easier to tone a guy down than to crank a guy up. And for all the talk of what he does off-the-court, he’s shown he will put the time in the gym to improve as a player. He shot 21% from three in college - not many guys turn themselves into good shooters once they are in the league.

There are some holier-than-thou folks in the media and around the league who would “never” take a chance on a rough around the edges guy like Lance Stephenson, as if they were perfect when they were 23 years old. Who knows what Stephenson will be when he is 27-28, but the odds are he will be more mature than what he is now. Just because you didn’t show any emotional growth when you were in your mid 20’s - don’t assume that holds true for everyone else.

Last edited by BillS; 06-06-2014, 10:32 AM. Reason: Added author credit
  • Downtown Bang!
    • Mar 2011

Re: Why Lance Stephenson Will Be Worth Every Penny [Real GM]

Originally posted by The Future
    When a guy is declining from a peak as high as LeBron James, that’s no big deal. For just about everyone else, though, a third contract is paying them for what they were instead of what they will be.

As a rule, older players tend to do two things in the NBA - they get hurt and they get worse. The real gamble in free agency isn’t the young hot-head like Stephenson, it’s an older veteran like Luol Deng. Counting the playoffs, Deng has played over 26,000 minutes and 725 games in the NBA, most of those in Tom Thibodeau’s manic, high-intensity system. That’s an awful lot of miles already on his body and that’s before he loses a step as he moves into his 30’s.
    If you believe the current core is unlikely to win a championship over the next 2-years the above is why Pacers need to move Hibbert & West for new assets over the next 15-months. I think Hibbert will decline faster than most and West is seriously on borrowed time. Doesn't have to be this off season but it needs to be before the start of the 2015-2016 season.

Comment

• able
      Grumpy Old Man (PD host)
      • Jan 2004

don't take what is written there to serious, for a plethora of reasons
      So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
      Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Comment

• McKeyFan
        Intuition over Integers
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by able
        don't take what is written there to serious, for a plethora of reasons
        I think it was spot on.
        "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• joew8302
          • Jul 2008

To me one of Stephenson's best selling points is the lack of really good two guards in the league. I mean James Harden is making a ton of $$ and was 1st team all NBA. Is Stephenson all that much below him?

Comment

• Speed
            • Jan 2006

Watching the Spurs last night, I was starting to lean against Lance a bit. Those guys do their jobs, and sacrifice for the team. I don't think Lance would last a second under Pop. The article does make some good points, but then some of the stuff seems exaggerated to make the author's point.

I think you sign Lance and then you retain the asset. It doesn't mean, if it doesn't work, you don't trade him.

Comment

• Unclebuck
              Administrator
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by joew8302
              To me one of Stephenson's best selling points is the lack of really good two guards in the league. I mean James Harden is making a ton of $$ and was 1st team all NBA. Is Stephenson all that much below him?
              right now? yes

Comment

• Ace E.Anderson
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by joew8302
                Yes, yes and yes.

And though there are 2-guards who lack "big names" right now, it's still a position with plenty of talent.

Harden, Wade, Thompson, Beal, Derozean, Johnson, Ellis, Aflalo, Matthews, Hayward, Butler.

Obviously it's not quite as loaded as the PG position right now, but there are plenty of good young 2-guards that are up and coming.
                Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 06-06-2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• BillS
                  Angry Old Poster
                  • Mar 2004

What turned me off about an otherwise decent piece is that, once again, the way to defend Lance is to slam anyone who raises objections to him. I get kind of tired of all of the non-basketball reasons why someone might have problems with him, and "Just because you didn’t show any emotional growth when you were in your mid 20’s - don’t assume that holds true for everyone else" is as ridiculous as all the rest. Especially since we have a shining example of professional basketball players who didn't show any emotional growth and ripped the fanbase to shreds to explain our PTSD.
                  BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                  Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

• Speed
                    • Jan 2006

Also the deal about guys who don't shoot well in college. Alot of the time guys get much much better in the pros or at least from horrible to acceptable, (Jason Kidd, Rajon Rondo, theres a long list). Heck, PG didn't have the upper body strength/form to hit the 3 consistently when he came in. Not a huge deal, just stuff like that undermines the article a bit and makes me give it less merit.

Comment

• immortality
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Speed
                      Also the deal about guys who don't shoot well in college. Alot of the time guys get much much better in the pros or at least from horrible to acceptable, (Jason Kidd, Rajon Rondo, theres a long list). Heck, PG didn't have the upper body strength/form to hit the 3 consistently when he came in. Not a huge deal, just stuff like that undermines the article a bit and makes me give it less merit.

I would trade Lance for Bradley Beal, in a heart beat, Lance has lots of talent, but he hasn't released it all yet.

Comment

• seeker80
                        • Apr 2013

Is Lance a great talent? Yes. Want him to stay? Yes. Ready to blow it all up to keep him? No.

While I agree with the underlying gist of the article, it is way over the top. As everything around and about Lance is.

He cannot defend all 3 perimeter positions. At least not possession after possession. Not quick enough to stay in front of a dozen PGs in this league (in all fairness, neither can GH), tends to play a gambling/lazy defense a lot of the time (stands straight up, turns his head when he's on the backside and doesn't fight over a lot of picks with great vigor). I will admit when his adrenaline gets up, he can really get after it, but its still not a consistent, professional level defense. And since our existence has been defined about how we perform against the Heat, I would say his D against Wade limits any talk of elite/superior/all star status on "both sides of the ball".

To be fair, PG has had many of the same issues on the defense side but he is far, far, far superior defender. He had a bad stretch in the middle of the season where he gambled a lot (even at a much higher success rate than Lance) but it hurt the overall D. But in the playoffs, he was pretty great/elite most of the time.

And if stats are the measure, then let's present them in context. He is a great rebounder but is it is exaggerated because we have allowed our C to be "a really tall guy who stands under the basket and doesn't have to rebound". Go to Detroit or Charlotte with a true big man/men, those numbers go down. It wouldn't be as pronounced of the ETs 16-7 to near nil, but it would be significant. And without handling the ball somewhere else as much as he does here on a team without a true PG, his assist numbers go down.

Figures lie and liars figure.

I'm telling you, without the right framework around him, if Lance goes all $$$ without regard to the environment, you could end up with a real trainwreck. Dude is wound really, really tight and seems to stretch the tolerance from teammates. Maybe if he cashes in big and someone hands him the keys (God forbid) he will be the next great leader like LBJ.

Me? I'm skeptical...
                        Last edited by seeker80; 06-06-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...