Mike Wells: Vogel installed a new offense before Friday's game.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PritchSlap
    Gold Spidey
    • Jun 2012

Mike Wells: Vogel installed a new offense before Friday's game.

There wasn’t any loud music blaring or players bouncing around celebrating inside the locker room.

That’s because the Indiana Pacers only took one step, albeit a much needed one, when they beat the Dallas Mavericks 103-83 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Friday night.

The Pacers know they still have a lot of work to do. They simply needed something to get them jump started after a handful of close defeats and a blowout loss to Milwaukee two nights earlier.

“I just thought we played a little harder, played a little smarter and did what we had to in terms of our execution,” Pacers forward David West said. “We can’t overreact. We have to continue to get better. Obviously we are not where we want to be. We have to continue to improve. That has to be our mindset.”

Coach Frank Vogel knew change was necessary, too. That’s why when the Pacers took the court for their shootaround Friday morning he surprised his players by scrapping the offensive system that wasn’t working during the first nine games and implementing a system that pushes the tempo and has constant ball movement.

A 60-minute practice session provided the Pacers with their second highest point total of the season, a season low in turnovers and all five starters scoring in double figures.

“This could be a changing factor with our team,” Pacers swingman Paul George said. “It’s a huge relief. We let a lot of games go. It was good to come out early and jump on them.”

Vogel had the change the offense because too often there was more standing around and watching instead of cutting and moving.

That’s fine if you have a Kevin Durant or LeBron James on your roster to carry you.

The Pacers don’t have a player that can create his own shot. They have to use a team approach, and in order for that to work there has to be trust in one another.

“We talked about re-establishing a belief in ourselves as a basketball team, belief in ourselves individually that we’re capable of doing great things,” Vogel said. “And continue to believe in teammates that are struggling and that’s an important element in getting yourself out of a rut.

“Getting a team out of a rut is to continue to trust that we have good players on this team that when the ball moves and we’re sharing it and we’re playing for each other that we’re going to be pretty good.”

That trust was on display in the third quarter when the Pacers blew the game open.

Guard Lance Stephenson scored 10 of his 12 points in the third quarter to help the Pacers overcome a halftime deficit.

Stephenson made both of his 3-pointers during the quarter when West and George Hill passed up shots to make the extra pass to get an even better shot.

Stephenson’s second 3-pointer gave the Pacers a 14-point lead and had him backpedaling down the court blowing on his three fingers.

The Pacers outscored the Mavericks 28-18 in the third quarter and eventually led by as many as 22 points in the fourth quarter.

The Pacers also got a lift from Sam Young off the bench because his teammates believed in him to make shots.

Young, who has had trouble passing the ball and making shots beyond five feet of the basket, scored 14 points on 6-of-11 shooting in 21 minutes.

“(The new offense) opens up the door for a lot of our players to be creative and just play basketball,” Hill said. “I think in our last offense we were thinking too much, ball wasn’t moving, staying on one side of the floor. This new offense demands for the ball to move from side to side. You have to tip your hat to the coaching staff.”

Seeing this and how much better the offense looked, I'm already feeling a lot better about Vogel and the rest of this season.
  • cdash
    Whale Shepherd
    • Jun 2009

Re: Mike Wells: Vogel installed a new offense before Friday's game.

Oh, so when we say new offense, we mean he actually installed an offense.

Comment

• McKeyFan
      Intuition over Integers
      • Jan 2004

Props to Vogel for making some things happen. Still need to see the change over a few games, but 1-0 and a healthy victory since our Milwaukee drubbing sure beats 0-1.
      "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• Brad8888
        Fatman the Malevolent
        • Dec 2008

Not only was an offense installed, but it happened in one shootaround the morning of the game. So much for it taking an entire preseason and lots of practice time to install a change of offense. Coaches who can't or won't do so simply are either stubborn or inept, or both.

I suspect that most players have been brought up to understand ball movement, but when told to create their own shot they frequently forget to look for anybody else.

Ultimately, though, this calls for at least a single

and a as to why it took this long to figure this out when virtually every poster here recognized the issue several games ago.

Comment

• imawhat
          Bring Back David West
          • Aug 2006

The ball and player movement were a lot better last night, though there will still moments where it stalled. We've got a long way to go and lots of other things to work on, but we're on the right track.

It's amazing how this happens to every team at the beginning of every season. Players pick up really bad habits in the offseason from playing pickup games. It usually takes until mid-December for offenses to start gelling again.

Remember when the Pacers looked good at the beginning of the season under O'Brien? It's because we were outworking teams that weren't sharp offensively. Then when offenses started to gel we'd go on a long losing streak as our hard play was no longer enough to overcome good execution. That's exactly what I see happening to the Bobcats this season.

Also, as teams start executing, players who play better in chaos, like Lance and Tyler, will have to adjust to continue their higher level of play. That's something to keep in mind.

Comment

• vnzla81
            • Jul 2008

I don't understand why it took a year plus to realize that the offense needed to change

I don't buy the bs excuse of "our previous offense was based on Danny Granger" either, all this is telling me is that for some reason Vogel has been as stubborn as the previous coach and only changed the offense because he felt the pressure, it was either change the offense and start winning or you are fired.
            @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• Peck
              Administrator
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vnzla81
              I don't understand why it took a year plus to realize that the offense needed to change

I don't buy the bs excuse of "our previous offense was based on Danny Granger" either, all this is telling me is that for some reason Vogel has been as stubborn as the previous coach and only changed the offense because he felt the pressure, it was either change the offense and start winning or you are fired.
              One vast difference between Vogel & Satan. Frank was able and willing to change in the face of the obvious and Satan was not.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

• 3rdStrike
                • Jul 2006

Bu-bu-but Vogel's offense was fine last year, there's no need to change it!

I'm glad he's making adjustments. It's about time! Sounds like the right idea, as long as it's more than three or four plays. Hopefully this will show the players that they too can do more than make excuses.

Edit: Does Mr Wells watch the Pacers? There are two guys that can create their own shots. Our starting 1 & 2.

Comment

• vnzla81
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Peck
                  One vast difference between Vogel & Satan. Frank was able and willing to change in the face of the obvious and Satan was not.
                  Well Satan changed for few games, remember when he fooled everybody but me? yeah I'm patting my own back again
                  @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• MaHa3000
                    • Jan 2005

Didn't Vogel just go back to the Offensive system that we ran last year and 86 the new offence he was trying to implement this year? That's what I thought Quinn Buckner was saying during last nights broadcast.

Comment

• Since86
                      • Dec 2004

Guess you missed the part where they said that the offensive changes were just going back to some of last years stuff, with new wrinkles, but that the overall approach was to go back to the basics.

Coach Frank Vogel went back to the basics in his offense, calling fewer plays and allowing his players more freedom to move and react to the defense. It resulted in a 103-83 win over Dallas at Bankers Life Fieldhouse that was the Pacers' first double-figure win of the season and offered the first glimmer of hope that Danny Granger's absence won't send them reeling back into lottery world.
                      "We're getting back to the fundamentals of our system that we've gotten away from," he said, speaking confidently and deliberately. "We're going to implement a change that can happen immediately in terms of more flow in our offense.

"It's a subtle change we're putting in that can happen immediately. We know execution will take time, but the force and speed with which we play and the movement we should exhibit should happen right away."

I find it funny that some posters who said the Pacers needed to change some things are embracing last night, when last night was just more like last season. There wasn't much difference in what they were trying to do, but there was a whole lot of difference in how they attacked doing it. Cuts last night were with purpose. Beginning the season they were slow and weren't focused on clearing space, or trying to free themselves up if it was a designed cut to get offense.

It's been pointed out that Dallas didn't double team. That's part of it, but the other part is that teams were waiting to double when the post players put the ball on the ground. Last night, there was no time to wait. The pass was being made, and then the offensive player was making a decision right away and making a move. It didn't allow the double team to ever get in position to be effective.

It's amazing how the same system looks different depending on how the players execute it.
                      Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

• cdash
                        Whale Shepherd
                        • Jun 2009

Well Satan changed for few games, remember when he fooled everybody but me? yeah I'm patting my own back again
                        Yeah, that never happened.

Comment

• BlueCollarColts
                          • Oct 2012

I agree, George Hill and David West were much better last night than in recent nights, just think West's 16 foot jumper is still off and he only scored 15 points he should have scored 24. Sam Young was a good pick up if he can keep making open shots. Gerald Green has a good offensive game, we need him to shoot more, he will be a 10 ppg guy for us this year. Hibbert FINALLY had a good game!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• vnzla81
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by cdash
                            Yeah, that never happened.
                            Yes it did, just ask Peck and whoever made the promise to give the clown the benefit of the doubt for some games(20+ games I think) the clown promised that he was going to change, there was even an interview of the clown with Hicks and Gnome telling them how much he was going to use Hibbert down low.
                            Last edited by vnzla81; 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• MillerTime
                              FREE LANCE
                              • May 2008

So this is not Smash Mouth??????????
                              "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Comment

Working...