Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd thoughts: Philadelphia Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd thoughts: Philadelphia Freedom

Ok I lied. I am going to get up some quick thoughts tonight but sadly (or for some of you gratefully) they will have to be cut very short.

The reason I wanted to post tonight besides the Pacers win was this. If you can get to the Chicago game on the 25th you really need to try. Of course it is the last game of the regular season and of course it is against one of our division rivals. But the single most important reason we need people there is on that night the Indiana Pacers will be honoring Hall of Fame inductee Mel Daniels and all of the ABA championship teams. I’ve hear reports that several of the ABA players are making the trip to the game including the great Freddie Lewis.

I can not emphasize enough that we do NOT want a fieldhouse full of drunken obnoxious Bulls fans booing the legends of the ABA.

So if you can make it please do, bring a friend (as long as they are not a Bulls fan), if you can get an extra ticket to give to a Pacers fan please make every effort to do so.

The current team deserves better support than they are getting for sure, but it would be just an outright pitiful shame if there was a loud coarse of boo’s when Mel Daniels is introduced.

Also for those that are familiar with the issues between Mel and the Pacers, it sounds like those have been put aside and both are moving on.

Now to tonight’s game.

Like Uncle Buck said before, its games like these that show the true metal of a team and right now the Pacers are proving to be solid steel. Are you kidding me? We go into Philadelphia for their last home game with them fighting for their playoff lives and beat them on their floor.

I know Seth has been beating on the 76ers for awhile but I’m sure even he would admit that this was a quality win for the Pacers.

How can anybody, other than just a contrarian, at this point and time question the validity of our team. Since the Barbosa trade we are 14-4, so while there was a problem that trade went a very long way in correcting the issues we were having.

Now while I am ecstatic about the win and there are a lot of great things to talk about I will issue one small concern that I have. While I love what Barbosa brings to the team and you can not argue with the record since his arrival I really think we are going to miss him playing next to George Hill. When he is playing with another point guard (I know people don’t think George Hill is a point guard but when they play together he is) he plays off the ball and is quite active in moving without the ball. When he is in with A.J. and even with Collison for a short time last night he seemed to be in love with dribbling and became somewhat of a black hole. I realize that this is his game so that is to be somewhat expected. It’s not a great concern but it’s at least something that has me thinking. But not nearly enough to think that I want George Hill back on the bench.

George Hill just takes us to another level on the defensive end and he seems to be getting better and better each game at running the offense. I know it’s not fair to Darren to lose his spot due to injury but I am not sure Frank should remove George from the starting lineup as they have been getting off to pretty good starts.

Ok like I said it has to be brief so tonight were just going to throw out some grades.

Danny Granger: A This is possibly the weirdest game from the offensive end I think I’ve ever seen from him. He was only able to hit 2 shots from inside the arc including missing several mid range jumpers that he has been hitting like layups over the past month but he hits 6 of 8 from three point land. I always hate when he takes that many three point shots with one exception, when he hits that many. He was there on the glass working both the offensive and defensive end. His defense was just ok, some have said he had a bad game but I disagree with that assessment. However you can’t deny once again when it was winning time he comes up big.

David West: B I think he suffered from the same malady that Danny did early on in that he was missing shots that he has been hitting with consistency lately. I think he was a little fatigued tonight but also like Danny he came up big in the end getting that loose ball to Roy for the and 1 play and then hitting a big time shot off of a great cut.

Roy Hibbert: A In my life I never dreamed Roy would ever be this good of a rebounder. I always held out hope that he would become like Smits in that he would be a good scorer, passer and even shot blocker but like Rik we would just have to accept that 6 or 7 rebounds was his ceiling. I mean this far into the season and Roy is basically averaging 9 rebounds a game. Double figures in scoring and rebounding again tonight, which is just becoming the norm.

George Hill: A It’s to the point that I almost feel like a broken record talking about his defense every game. He just changes our entire starting lineups ability to guard the floor because he can all by himself guard a pick and roll, in fact has that even been an issue at all since he has started? The only point guards in the NBA I don’t think he can guard all that well are point guards in the NBA that nobody can guard that well. The Westbrook’s, Williams & Rose’s of the league. Other than that there is not a point guard I wouldn’t feel comfortable playing against.

Paul George: A Best game in a month it seems like. He didn’t score a lot but the shots he hit were huge and his defense again was stellar. However the single best thing he did all night long was this absolutely picture perfect bounce splitting defenders hitting David West for a layup. I can’t remember the last time I saw that kind of an entry pass from a Pacers guard.

Tyler Hansbrough: A We got aggressive active Tyler tonight, the one that causes other teams to react to him and he was also making a very real effort on the boards even though he only came away with 4 he was in there battling away. Even on defense he was being a pain so he get’s an A for his effort on the floor tonight and he led the group in making the small comeback in the second half.

Dahntay Jones: A+ There is absolutely nothing else you can ask of a backup small forward who only played 14 min. His shot selection was sound, his defense was stellar and his overall aggressive demeanor on the floor helped focus the bench to a higher level in the second half IMO.

Leandro Barbosa: C Even though he didn’t shoot poorly it just seemed like he did. He also was making a few bad decisions on defense as well. But overall he wasn’t a bad player out there and he certainly has been more of a help than a hindrance out there.

A.J. Price: C+ Meh, he at least seemed to try and run the offense instead of looking for his own shot and his defense was decent.

Lou Amundson: C Active as always but for whatever reason tonight just didn’t have the impact that he has in other games.

The Pacers train has just kept on rolling. In my wildest dreams I never thought we’d be here today and I have to make sure to take a dose of reality pills every day because I am in serious jeopardy of getting to high. But honest to God after all of these wins, forget the 6 in a row how about 9 of the last 10 including beating the Thunder, how can you blame any Pacers fan when we start to dream the impossible dream.

But I know all of this feel good stuff can go right out the window with a crash and burn first round. But right now I just don’t think that this will occur.

Either way that is for the future now is the time for celebration.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Odd thoughts: Philadelphia Freedom

I know Seth has been beating on the 76ers for awhile but I’m sure even he would admit that this was a quality win for the Pacers.
    I hear words, but it sounds more like "okay, let's go for triple or nothing Saturday night".

No, Peck did not foolishly go for a double or nothing off the original bet which he also did not make.*

This was a quality win and you'll note from the "Payoff" thread that I had the @PHI game down with @HOU and @SAS as the 3 hard road games they were most likely to lose. They went 2-1 in those game which is impressive.

*because he's chickens***
    zing

Comment

I'm pretty worried there will be a ton of Bulls fans for that game, which happens to take place on my 22nd birthday, hell, most of the Bulls "fans" are from Indy if I had to guess.

Makes me sick.
      Super Bowl XLI Champions
      2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Comment

If we win out and go 44-22 our win percentage will be .666. Good luck or cursed?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbert View Post
          If we win out and go 44-22 our win percentage will be .666. Good luck or cursed?
          It's the lasting impression that Jim O'Brien left on this team. You knew he had a sleeper virus in there somewhere.

If at exactly 7 min. into the first quarter of our first game in the first round Tyler Hansbrough pulls up for a trailing three point shot you'll know who has the mark.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Neither... We're just one HELL of a team!
            ...Still "flying casual"
            @roaminggnome74

Comment

OH YEAH!
              Super Bowl XLI Champions
              2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Comment

It means that the Pacers are the omen that will bring bad luck to the likes of Chicago, Miami, (insert the 1st round opponent team), OKC, SA and LA (both).

Comment

Luckily if you round up it's .667!

Comment

Originally posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
                    Neither... We're just one HELL of a team!
                    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AesopRockOn View Post
                      LMAO...

He ain't "The Crow™ " ...

He's "The 'Bro™ " ....

haha

Kinda reminds me of Goldust .. lmao

In that pic he looks like he is getting ready to do his trademark air sucking thing he does.... lmao
                      "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
                        The reason I wanted to post tonight besides the Pacers win was this. If you can get to the Chicago game on the 25th you really need to try. Of course it is the last game of the regular season and of course it is against one of our division rivals. But the single most important reason we need people there is on that night the Indiana Pacers will be honoring Hall of Fame inductee Mel Daniels and all of the ABA championship teams. I’ve hear reports that several of the ABA players are making the trip to the game including the great Freddie Lewis.

I can not emphasize enough that we do NOT want a fieldhouse full of drunken obnoxious Bulls fans booing the legends of the ABA.

So if you can make it please do, bring a friend (as long as they are not a Bulls fan), if you can get an extra ticket to give to a Pacers fan please make every effort to do so.

The current team deserves better support than they are getting for sure, but it would be just an outright pitiful shame if there was a loud coarse of boo’s when Mel Daniels is introduced.
                        Well folks better prepare themselves for exactly this. When you look at Pacers.com and the Chicago game it appears they are very close to a sell out. Maybe there would be too much activity to do this during one of the playoffs games, but it would be the best way to ensure Mel and the ABA guys get the respect you're talking about.

Honestly I worry about some of the strategic planning the Pacers brass do when it comes to things like this.
                        You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
                          How can anybody, other than just a contrarian, at this point and time question the validity of our team.
                          Why, who ever could you be referring to?

Comment

I really thought the Pacers starters looked tired throughout the game. The bench really gave them a lift and the will to win pulled our starters through, but they looked really tired to me.

I've mentioned part of this before, but the way the schedule is ending is perfect for the pacers. No more road games, no more back to back games, and an off day Thursday the 26th when none of the other eastern conference playoff teams have an off day. No other team has anything close to that type of schedule leading into the playoffs and it should be a real and tangible difference maker.

We have no right what-so-ever to complain about the schedule.

Peck, I see that you are maybe coming around to a point I've been making for years. Defense starts with your point guard and at the very least the point guard position is extremely important defensively.

Hope there aren't a lot of Bulls fans there, but the fact that it is their only visit will likely inspire more to come, but I doubt they will boo Mel.
                            Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-18-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I'm going with my cousin. It's my birthday present from him, but he is a Bulls fan, Pacers 2nd. This will be fun. He won't boo Mel though. I'll punch him in the face. And he knows it.
                              Senior at the University of Louisville.
                              Greenfield ---> The Ville

Comment

Working...
                              X